Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,778 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) (66990 Views)

Aregbesola Visits Ooni Ogunwusi, Squats In His Palace. See Photos / Emir Of Ibi Gave Melaye Fish At His Palace (Photos) / $12billion Taken Out Of Nigeria During Jonathan's Regime – EFCC Boss, Lamorde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by nellaluv(f): 9:11am On May 24, 2013
Pictures they say speak a thousand words. This is a Photo of the Oba of Benin, Oba Ovonramwem, when he was arrested and taken out of his palace! this was later 18th centuries, right?
The story surrounds is that of power and betrayal. There is a great debate going on on how he was betrayed by his own people , the Obasekis. Please if you are of bini origin i urge you to enlighten us pls.

9 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by UyiIredia(m): 9:43am On May 24, 2013
Apart from what I was told about him deported to Calabar I know little else about this Oba. A shame since I'm an Edo man.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by omosexy1: 11:48am On May 24, 2013
This will make a fantastic movie. Do know why our history are not portrayed on pictures so that our children can learn. What we have are stupid I LOVE YOU MOVIES and now afrocandy has added nudity to it.

24 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by blayz0923: 12:03pm On May 24, 2013
omosexy1: This will make a fantastic movie. Do know why our history are not portrayed on pictures so that our children can learn. What we have are stupid I LOVE YOU MOVIES and now afrocandy has added nudity to it.

please lets leave afrocandy to her trade...

8 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by DrWhizy(m): 12:04pm On May 24, 2013
Abeg wher d oba dey 4 d pic?? undecided undecided
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by OlufemiAbbey(m): 12:07pm On May 24, 2013
nellaluv: Pictures they say speak a thousand words. This is a Photo of the Oba of Benin, Oba Ovonramwem, when he was arrested and taken out of his palace! this was later 18th centuries, right?
The story surrounds is that of power and betrayal. There is a great debate going on on how he was betrayed by his own people , the Obasekis. Please if you are of bini origin i urge you to enlighten us pls.

You shared my mind. There are lots of things we can learn from the old Benin Kingdom. The only link ¶'ve heard so far about 'em is that they're descendants from Oduduwa. More please.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by suxes2005(m): 12:07pm On May 24, 2013
Those guys dey show stunt.
I'll lyk 2 read more about this.

Next episode plz?

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tyson55(m): 12:07pm On May 24, 2013
The history student should help out pls.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Innodon(m): 12:08pm On May 24, 2013
Both the Oba nd the person arresting him looks like posing for the picture. Oba in those days don't even have foot wears. Its funny and history can always tell .

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by MadCow1: 12:09pm On May 24, 2013
See as ehn humble.. grin

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

**Oba shouting OGHENE BIKO all the way**

126 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by obicaleb: 12:09pm On May 24, 2013
that is the norm of the bini poeple,,,we know them
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:11pm On May 24, 2013
From shoeless policemen in 18th century to shoeless president in the 21st century, I will say that nigeria is "advancing".

18 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Akpaife(m): 12:11pm On May 24, 2013
D man is sleeping n also arrested
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by jonot: 12:12pm On May 24, 2013
Found this on Wikipedia:

Ovonramwen Nogbaisi came to be the Oba of Benin in 1888.[1]
At the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. The territory was coveted by an influential group of investors for its rich natural resources such as palm-oil, rubber and ivory.[2] The kingdom was largely independent of British control, and pressure continued from figures such as Vice-Consul James Robert Phillips and Captain Gallwey (the British vice-Consul of Oil Rivers Protectorate) who were pushing for British annexation of the Benin Empire and the removal of the Oba.
A British invasion force headed by Phillips set out to overthrow the Oba in 1896. The force's weapons were hidden in baggage, with troops disguised as bearers. Phillips plan was to gain access to Ovonramwen's palace by announcing that he intended to negotiate. Ovonramwen's messengers issued several warnings not to violate Benin territorial sovereignty, claiming he was unable to see Phillips due to ceremonial duties. Having been warned on several further occasions on the way, Phillips sent his stick to the Oba, a deliberate insult designed to provoke the conflict that would provide an excuse for British annexation.[3] Phillip's expedition was ambushed and all but two were killed. Subsequently a military operation against Benin in 1897 led by Harry Rawson resulted in the burning of Benin City and the deaths of untold numbers of its inhabitants. Although the British had orders to hang the Oba, Ovonramwen escaped, but later surrendered.
Ovonramwen was exiled to Calabar with his two wives, and died there in 1914.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 24, 2013
Ome see defiance on top my man face cool.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by OduntanGabriel(m): 12:14pm On May 24, 2013
Are u sure he was arrested in this picture? It looks as if the king was being followed by his guards...... Abi dem no get handcuff dos days ni?

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by layconalabi: 12:14pm On May 24, 2013
Very easy to escape, they are not arresting here, kind of a parade activity.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Reyspin(m): 12:15pm On May 24, 2013
I thought these Obas have some supernatural powers... Why is a mere mortal arrestin a whole Oba
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Akpaife(m): 12:15pm On May 24, 2013
Mad Cow: See as ehn humble.. grin

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

Guy ds pic dey funny ooo d guy no wat go station

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 24, 2013
some Benin folks would come here and be ranting how immortal their king is.see mere mortal rubbish a whole king.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by basisop(m): 12:17pm On May 24, 2013

My eyes are red with laughter

6 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by kingrhirhs(m): 12:20pm On May 24, 2013
Olu'femi Abbey:

You shared my mind. There are lots of things we can learn from the old Benin Kingdom. The only link ¶'ve heard so far about 'em is that they're descendants from Oduduwa. More please.
pls point of correction, Oduduwa is a Benin man exiled from Benin n u pple called him Oduduwa.

5 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by alaoeri: 12:20pm On May 24, 2013
Olu'femi Abbey:

Oba of Benin or any average Benin man 'll argue this & 'll claim that yoruba are from Benin.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by riteprice1: 12:23pm On May 24, 2013
Ehyaa... What a Disgrace. I thought obas of bini were untouchable, abi dia jazz no dey work again?
off topic.... I urgently Nid a fairly used laptop (no mini) with hdd 160gb and above, ram 2gb and above, for less dan 50k. Contact me with ur spec on 08125661623. Im in lagos.. (abeg make una no vex, d computer section is filled wit scammers claimin to be in badagry) thanks.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Cruxxy(m): 12:25pm On May 24, 2013
They arrested him & he had time to stand @ attention & pose for pictures with d same policemen who came to arrest him? I doubt if dis is an arrest.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by esere826: 12:25pm On May 24, 2013
Where's physicsqed?
I need him here

This pix is so powerful
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by igbeke: 12:25pm On May 24, 2013
there's dis novel by Ola Rotimi. it is titled "Ovoramwen Nogbaisi".
I read it back den in d secondary schl.
i tink dat will help if u can get it.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by MadCow1: 12:26pm On May 24, 2013
Cruxxy: They arrested him & he had time to pose for pictures with d same policemen who came to arrest him? I doubt if dis is an arrest.

Look at his legs and see the shackles

5 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PurpleHouse(m): 12:26pm On May 24, 2013
Reyspin: I thought these Obas have some supernatural powers... Why is a mere mortal arrestin a whole Oba
yes! But i wouldn't call it Supernatural, lets just call it, Magical or Traditional/ Spells/incantations......... But, lookin at this pix, Nothing is more Heart Breaking and Defeating, than a Betrayal from Loved and trusted allies u're trying to protect!
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 24, 2013
Oduntan Gabriel: Are u sure he was arrested in this picture? It looks as if the king was being followed by his guards...... Abi dem no get handcuff dos days ni?
Look at his legs.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Freiburger(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2013

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by iHustle(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2013
_

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / Zainab Abdullahi: 'Aisha Yesufu Is A Jew In Islamic Shirt' / Rivers State Secretariat Is The Tallest And Biggest In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.