Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? (34211 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ttmacoy: 9:00pm On Jul 20, 2015
I've had this debate internally for a while now and the conclusion i always come to is the main attraction of Nigeria is the opportunity to hit money quickly. This also means higher opportunity to lose money quickly. I am not looking to make money over night, i am ready and willing to work hard and earn my keep so that doesn't attract me as I know and have seen that the easy money also flows away quickly.

While i will always love Nigeria and be Nigerian, I appreciate my life and the life I am able to provide for my family abroad. There is also the issue of my child and her future to consider. My philosophy is she will be raised as a global citizen with the belief she can live wherever she wants and do whatever she wants.

Never say never, if there is a reason or opportunity to return I will consider it, but at the moment I have a great job, earn well, have good career opportunities based on my skills and experience despite not knowing people or having godfathers, and I can provide a happy home for my family.

To me home is where I and my loved ones are together, happy, safe, secure and have good prospects for the future.

constantchanges:
Whats up people? Keep it coming .... I really enjoyed reading your contributions,plus those that are in Ikeja claiming to be in diaspora because they left east for Lagos.

Well, I am taking us back, back to the real topic of this thread. Nigerians in diaspora, when are returning?

If you dont want to return, simply say so. If you want to return, feel free to state it too.

Africa generally , not only Nigeria, is way behind as compared to Europe, America, North America etc,I won't say much on this.

But, why is this topic not on FB...This topic makes more sense than many on FB.

CC: Lalastica FB things pls.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by tpiadotcom: 9:27pm On Jul 20, 2015
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by RedCapChief(m): 7:49pm On Jul 21, 2015
ttmacoy:
I've had this debate internally for a while now and the conclusion i always come to is the main attraction of Nigeria is the opportunity to hit money quickly. This also means higher opportunity to lose money quickly. I am not looking to make money over night, i am ready and willing to work hard and earn my keep so that doesn't attract me as I know and have seen that the easy money also flows away quickly.

While i will always love Nigeria and be Nigerian, I appreciate my life and the life I am able to provide for my family abroad. There is also the issue of my child and her future to consider. My philosophy is she will be raised as a global citizen with the belief she can live wherever she wants and do whatever she wants.

Never say never, if there is a reason or opportunity to return I will consider it, but at the moment I have a great job, earn well, have good career opportunities based on my skills and experience despite not knowing people or having godfathers, and I can provide a happy home for my family.

To me home is where I and my loved ones are together, happy, safe, secure and have good prospects for the future.

Very well said!

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by tpiadotcom: 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2015
My philosophy is she will be raised as a global citizen with the belief she can live wherever she wants and do whatever she wants.

this is not realistic.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by pansophist(m): 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2015
constantchanges:
Whats up people? Keep it coming .... I really enjoyed reading your contributions,plus those that are in Ikeja claiming to be in diaspora because they left east for Lagos.

Well, I am taking us back, back to the real topic of this thread. Nigerians in diaspora, when are returning?

If you dont want to return, simply say so. If you want to return, feel free to state it too.

Africa generally , not only Nigeria, is way behind as compared to Europe, America, North America etc,I won't say much on this.

But, why is this topic not on FB...This topic makes more sense than many on FB.

CC: Lalastica FB things pls.

I really do not understand this mentality of expecting every immigrant returning to their country of birth (I dont see it as ''home country'')

People find solace in diferent geographical region of the planet and this has been happening since primordial.

Consciously choosing to live in niaja is a punishment for me from all angles, I will prefer a safer environment where people act sanely.

Home is anywhere you feel comfotable and connected to, not a place of birth.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by 19naia(m): 8:30pm On Jul 21, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
I will visit Nigeria at the appointed time. Not any time soon. Nigeria is too expensive with minimal returns. I travel a lot to many countries. By far, Nigeria seems to be the most expensive. Fuel, water, security details, logistics, friends and foes, running from one hotel to the other, etc. It all adds up.

I am at a stage that I don't need unnecessary stress in my life. The house I am building in the village is for the heck of it. I will never sleep there. The question becomes: What is the definition of home? Of course, a house is not necessarily a home.
\

Very Good post you put here.. Nigerians in Nigeria are eager to show that they have much to offer and an economy to tout.
But the truth is that they have their heads in their own bucket and have little reference to know that Nigeria is seriously over priced with a seriously underperforming general state of quality in the country. Any real quality exsist in extremely overpriced small pockets scattered about amid what is mostly a slum quality nation.

The eager money makers inflate price any where and time they can get away with it and then call themselves wealthy by it. And the price of that "sin" is the constant instability of the Naira as it lives in perpetual free fall. One day a nigerian billionaire has a $ value of wealth, and the next its drastically lower by the depreciation of the Naira his wealth exist in.
Eventually, Nigeria prices will go so far beyond what people enjoy in USA and Europe, that foriegn interest will never look to Nigeria beyond the desire for oil and raw materials to just export quick and minimize involvement. International equitabilty is a serious matter that nigerians seem to overlook when seeking profit and international investors. It will cost Nigeria in the long run and keep the Naira always falling.
Nigerians need to remember that there are so many cheaper countries in the world with better quality of living in general, in south america ,asia and even eastern europe.

I know Nigeria has some very cheap options, but those are in extreme squalor and even that squalor is overpriced compared to some south american and south asian countries with their own prices of squalored living.
I am not just talking, i have lived in countries in asia and south america and have spent on lodging and food while experiencing the standard of living in as many as 17 countries so far. I will soon be adding more to my list of visited countries and i dont see Nigeria faring any better when i compare it to even more countries.

I will visit Nigeria, but i hope family and friends there wont vex wit me when my attitude about spending there is sour. I just have so many other options to live decent for less. It will cheaper for me to turn back around and fly out to The Americas to stay, than to fork over money in Nigeria to feed the "Big Boy" hype.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by tpiadotcom: 8:32pm On Jul 21, 2015
pansophist:

Consciously choosing to live in niaja is a punishment for me from all angles

where are you from?

must be brutal there.

or did you offend somebody?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by pansophist(m): 8:57pm On Jul 21, 2015
tpiadotcom:

where are you from?

must be brutal there.

or did you offend somebody?

I am from Nigeria, but not a denizen. And yea, I construe the stressful life of Nigeria as a self-inflicted punishment if I consciously decide to permanently settle there, the world is big and diverse bro.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2015
Damiso, i sight you smiley
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ttmacoy: 11:10pm On Jul 21, 2015
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by damiso(f): 11:30pm On Jul 21, 2015
Phema:
Damiso, i sight you smiley

wink wink
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ttmacoy: 6:12am On Jul 22, 2015
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 23, 2015
Omavik:
I wil b a nigerian in diaspora nxt yr by hs grace... I wil comment properly den
may 24 3013
hope you are abroad nw dear
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by free37: 8:47am On Jul 23, 2015
pansophist:

I really do not understand this mentality of expecting every immigrant returning to their country of birth (I dont see it as ''home country'')
People find peace in diferent geographical region of the planet and this has been happening since primordial.
Consciously choosing to live in niaja is a punishment for me from all angles, I will prefer a safer environment where people act sanely.
Home is anywhere you feel comfotable and connected to, not a place of birth.

19naia:

Very Good post you put here.. Nigerians in Nigeria are eager to show that they have much to offer and an economy to tout.
But the truth is that they have their heads in their own bucket and have little reference to know that Nigeria is seriously over priced with a seriously underperforming general state of quality in the country. Any real quality exsist in extremely overpriced small pockets scattered about amid what is mostly a slum quality nation.
The eager money makers inflate price any where and time they can get away with it and then call themselves wealthy by it. And the price of that "sin" is the constant instability of the Naira as it lives in perpetual free fall. One day a nigerian billionaire has a $ value of wealth, and the next its drastically lower by the depreciation of the Naira his wealth exist in.
Eventually, Nigeria prices will go so far beyond what people enjoy in USA and Europe, that foriegn interest will never look to Nigeria beyond the desire for oil and raw materials to just export quick and minimize involvement. International equitabilty is a serious matter that nigerians seem to overlook when seeking profit and international investors. It will cost Nigeria in the long run and keep the Naira always falling.
Nigerians need to remember that there are so many cheaper countries in the world with better quality of living in general, in south america ,asia and even eastern europe.
I know Nigeria has some very cheap options, but those are in extreme squalor and even that squalor is overpriced compared to some south american and south asian countries with their own prices of squalored living.
I am not just talking, i have lived in countries in asia and south america and have spent on lodging and food while experiencing the standard of living in as many as 17 countries so far. I will soon be adding more to my list of visited countries and i dont see Nigeria faring any better when i compare it to even more countries.
I will visit Nigeria, but i hope family and friends there wont vex wit me when my attitude about spending there is sour. I just have so many other options to live decent for less. It will cheaper for me to turn back around and fly out to The Americas to stay, than to fork over money in Nigeria to feed the "Big Boy" hype.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by chelseabmw(m): 6:58am On Jul 24, 2015
nidera:

bring goodies over there when coming home xmas

Lol what kind of goodies will you like?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by tpiadotcom: 7:17am On Jul 24, 2015
pansophist:

I am from Nigeria, but not a denizen. And yea, I construe the stressful life of Nigeria as a self-inflicted punishment if I consciously decide to permanently settle there, the world is big and diverse bro.

Are you black?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by pansophist(m): 11:28am On Jul 24, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Are you black?

I'm an Igbo man, I'm human not black. My skin color is darkbrown with a physiognomical features of a typical negroid.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Huane: 12:39pm On Jul 24, 2015
I av been away for many years so far.

It will be November 17 of dis 2015. MMIA around 8pm i will arrive.

Look for d fresh looking one wearing the new Nike shoes. Please, one at a time, i will av plenty £ in my bags and pockets, but only enough to pay one ransom and walk home bare foot. grin
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by nidera(f): 3:15pm On Jul 24, 2015
chelseabmw:

goodies you equally like,any good things goes,,,ranging from wear,perfumes, make ups,phones,drugs supplements,bags,shoes and host of others,,,,,,, cool
chelseabmw:

goodies you equally like,any good things goes,,,ranging from wear,perfumes, make ups,phones,drugs supplements,bags,shoes and host of others,,,,,,,
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by chelseabmw(m): 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2015
nidera:

goodies you equally like,any good things goes,,,ranging from wear,perfumes, make ups,phones,drugs supplements,bags,shoes and host of others,,,,,,, cool

goodies you equally like,any good things goes,,,ranging from wear,perfumes, make ups,phones,drugs supplements,bags,shoes and host of others,,,,,,,

Okay ma'am I will get them

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by nidera(f): 8:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
chelseabmw:

cool
chelseabmw:

alright
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by nidera(f): 10:34am On Dec 26, 2015

its Xmas and am yet to hear from you,,,,,my Xmas goodies
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by nidera(f): 10:39am On Dec 26, 2015
chelseabmw:

its Xmas and am still waiting for my goodies
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by chelseabmw(m): 11:24am On Dec 26, 2015
nidera:

its Xmas and am still waiting for my goodies

Lmao ...... I brought lots of em ... Will pm u shortly.... U on bbm?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by oluwarichie(m): 5:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
I've been in Somalia for about 9years now, will return when electricity is stable in Nigeria.

And Somalia is better than 9ja?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by nidera(f): 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
chelseabmw:

Lmao ...... I brought lots of em ... Will pm u shortly.... U on bbm?

55CA29E4 my pin,,can't wait to ve my goodies

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Beautiful City Of Abeokuta, Ogun State (Pictures, Video) / Car Plunges Off A Bridge With 4 People Inside In Akure This Morning (Photos) / See How Much It Cost To Commute Around Lagos Using Ferries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.