Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,508 members, 7,801,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe (39797 Views)

Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by ezotik: 3:31pm On May 26, 2013
bokohalal:

Emwanta we ta na,nia?

lol, yea... u can use knowledge of edo as a second language to get points for admission into manitoba schools. so instead of french for example, u can use edo and i actually know the examiner in winnipeg who will test u. elementary edo anyway but hey it is there... and she gets paid like $50 an hour for it.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 3:39pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: Respect yourself. Let this be the first and the last time EVER in your entire life you'd utter such nonsense to me. Did I beg you to click the link? Respect yourself o, Kwangi kinto ko e ni igi lori. Can you just imagine such senseless questions!I am not here to trade insults but je ki ori e ko pe gidigidi! If you do not agree with the title, write your piece and do not mouth insults at me, okay?
Wetin this one they talk?
Go hang your miserable self biko!
What you sow is what you reap!
You dish out something so disrespectful and you dey find respect.
Next time be sure of what you put out there.
Stop barking.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 26, 2013
Afam4eva: I think the OP meant Political influence and not general influence. Apart from politics, i don't see Fulani influence anywhere. The can't match the trio of Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. They may even have to compete with some smaller tribes.

When discussing Fulanis, please do not limit your thoughts to within Nigeria, Thanks.
And even within Nigeria, Are you aware that the Fulanis shaped up the boundries of Modern day Nigeria, & the boundries between North and South?
The Fulbe are the single greatest force in the Shaping up of Northern Nigerian history.
And as for language,- to the other guy talking about language- there is no OFFICIAL local language in Nigeria

Fulfulde is a National language of 9ja, Just like Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. Igbo or hausa or Yoruba are't of a higher status.... So what is your poont??

2 Likes

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by tpia5: 4:44pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: You seem to be more concerned with the jihad aspect grin Well, all cultures gain influence one way or the other, it is all about comparative advantage, so how they got it, to me, is not really the crux of the matter, especially in this context. I do not see any disrespect here, remember this is strictly my personal view and if you think any other tribe is more influential, the floor is yours. Personally, I am yet to see any other tribe in Africa with so much clout and concentration of political, social and economic power particulary in West Africa (please go through the list) as the Fulanis. It has nothing to do with my love or hate for any ethnic group (I don't subscribe to any tribe or race-based philosophy so I don't see this as an affront to African consciousness). It is just an observation from a personal perspective, and of course, you have the right to disagree.

madam, the people you are calling fulani, are hausa fulani.

if you are referring to nigeria, that's the context you should use.

if your area of expertise is outside nigeria, then you should also mention that as your specialty (perhaps you're from elsewhere?), since there's a reason why different regions are different countries?
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 8:58pm On May 26, 2013
Sorry, I cannot spend more than five minutes of my time on you. Obviously, you have a lot of time at hand. You can continue. Goodluck with your ranting. wink
kwangi: Wetin this one they talk?
Go hang your miserable self biko!
What you sow is what you reap!
You dish out something so disrespectful and you dey find respect.
Next time be sure of what you put out there.
Stop barking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 9:00pm On May 26, 2013
Hausas are not Fulanis and Fulanis are not Hausas, I thought I stated that.
tpia@:

madam, the people you are calling fulani, are hausa fulani.

if you are referring to nigeria, that's the context you should use.

if your area of expertise is outside nigeria, then you should also mention that as your specialty (perhaps you're from elsewhere?), since there's a reason why different regions are different countries?

2 Likes

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 9:05pm On May 26, 2013
Well, I am not surprised with the response of some readers, they will find it a bitter pill to swallow but it has to be stated very clearly that in Africa, I am yet to see any tribe or ethnic group more influential than the Fulanis. For some reasons, some people just dislike the Fulanis, and want to neglect their exploits but the impact of Fulanis on West African history cannot be underestimated or overlooked. Their impact is everywhere, whether people accept it or not. smiley
Bororojo:

When discussing Fulanis, please do not limit your thoughts to within Nigeria, Thanks.
And even within Nigeria, Are you aware that the Fulanis shaped up the boundries of Modern day Nigeria, & the boundries between North and South?
The Fulbe are the single greatest force in the Shaping up of Northern Nigerian history.
And as for language,- to the other guy talking about language- there is no OFFICIAL local language in Nigeria

Fulfulde is a National language of 9ja, Just like Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. Igbo or hausa or Yoruba are't of a higher status.... So what is your poont??
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 9:14pm On May 26, 2013
Maybe it's a general assumption although there are very black Fulanis too.
tpia@:
why do people always like pinning the light skin tag on fulanis?

2 Likes

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:18pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: Tuaregs, just a little over one million. And are limited to small portions in Libya, Tunisia and Algeria.

please do not understimate the Tuareg just because they are light skinned. THE TUAREG ACHIEVED BY FAR THE MOST! NO OTHER TRIBE IN AFRICA HAS RECENTLY SUCCESSFULLY MANAGED TO CARVE OUT THEIR OWN NATION BASED ON ETHNICITY, i.e., THE REPUBLIC OF AZAWAD .

The Tuareg have fought the most to preserve their identity and way of life in 2 successive Rebellions against both, the Libyan Govt and the Malian GOvt. they have sacrificed a lot to uphold the dignity of their tribe and culture.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 9:33pm On May 26, 2013
I agree with you that the influence of the Tuaregs cannot be underestimated. However, apart from the fact that the Islamic Republic of Azawad (they are trying to use the same jihadist principle of expansion some readers are accusing the Fulanis of) is an unrecognized state (even Nigerian troops are there slugging it out with them), the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad have already renounced their claims for independence. But at any rate, the conflict is still on, MNLA is already negotiating with the Malian government, let's see how it all ends.
PAGAN 9JA:

please do not understimate the Tuareg just because they are light skinned. THE TUAREG ACHIEVED BY FAR THE MOST! NO OTHER TRIBE IN AFRICA HAS RECENTLY SUCCESSFULLY MANAGED TO CARVE OUT THEIR OWN NATION BASED ON ETHNICITY, i.e., THE REPUBLIC OF AZAWAD .

The Tuareg have fought the most to preserve their identity and way of life in 2 successive Rebellions against both, the Libyan Govt and the Malian GOvt. they have sacrificed a lot to uphold the dignity of their tribe and culture.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 9:50pm On May 26, 2013
But Sir, you will agree with me that Dangote, a Fulani, exerts the greatest individual influence on the Nigerian economy which is virtually under his grips, and he is steadily expanding to take over the continent even with the preponderance of Hausa, Ibo and Yoruba on the same continent. However, that is not to underestimate the contributions of other economic giants like Mike Adenuga and the rest.
Afam4eva: I think the OP meant Political influence and not general influence. Apart from politics, i don't see Fulani influence anywhere. The can't match the trio of Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. They may even have to compete with some smaller tribes.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Afam4eva(m): 10:05pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: But Sir, you will agree with me that Dangote, a Fulani, exerts the greatest individual influence on the Nigerian economy which is virtually under his grips, and he is steadily expanding to take over the continent even with the preponderance of Hausa, Ibo and Yoruba on the same continent. However, that is not to underestimate the contributions of other economic giants like Mike Adenuga and the rest.
Dangote is just one person out of thousands of big time business men.

2 Likes

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by ezotik: 10:18pm On May 26, 2013
it seems there is a fight over dangote's ethnicity between the hausa and fulani coz today he is hausa, tomorrow he is fulani...

but i thought dangote is hausa? coz im sure ive seen his ethnicity discussed on this forum before.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: Well, I am not surprised with the response of some readers, they will find it a bitter pill to swallow but it has to be stated very clearly that in Africa, I am yet to see any tribe or ethnic group more influential than the Fulanis. For some reasons, some people just dislike the Fulanis, and want to neglect their exploits but the impact of Fulanis on West African history cannot be underestimated or overlooked. Their impact is everywhere, whether people accept it or not. smiley

You keep posting ridiculous posts about how influential Fulani's are, however you haven't provided any proof to back-up your assertion. Provide proofs, or stick to what you know.

I ask again: what did the Fulani's contribute to African history to make them influential?

That's the problem with the Nigerian educational system and lack of proper education about African history. Most of you just read a bunch of crap and start posting ridiculous information all over the web. The sphere of influence of the Fulani doesn't go beyond NW and parts of NE Nigeria. Heck, they don't even have a proper culture apart from what they stole from the Hausa and Arabs.

Btw, do they even teach you lot African history in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 10:27pm On May 26, 2013
Yes the Fulanis have had some influence in the western part of the continent (some of it 'good', some of it 'bad' in some people's view), but they have had little to no real/significant influence outside of that area, and the thread title seems like an exaggeration. Also, a list that is just as impressive (or more impressive) of prominent people like the list in the opening post could be assembled for pretty much any other African linguistic group with a large population (in the tens of millions) if anyone bothered to take the time to do so.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 10:29pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: But Sir, you will agree with me that Dangote, a Fulani, exerts the greatest individual influence on the Nigerian economy which is virtually under his grips

Apparently his "Fulani-ness" is slight and he's mostly Hausa: https://www.nairaland.com/102638/aliko-dangote-started-out-like#9278616

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 10:34pm On May 26, 2013
Thank you o, that is what I am looking forward to seeing, a similar list of any other ethnic group and I will withdraw my assertion.
PhysicsQED: Yes the Fulanis have had some influence in the western part of the continent (some of it 'good', some of it 'bad' in some people's view), but they have had little to no real/significant influence outside of that area, and the thread title seems like an exaggeration. Also, a list that is just as impressive (or more impressive) of prominent people like the list in the opening post could be assembled for pretty much any other African linguistic group with a large population (in the tens of millions) if any one bothered to take the time to do so.

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 10:37pm On May 26, 2013
Let me make one thing clear: You stick to your historical antecedents, I am much more concerned about recent events and that explained my listing out mainly Fulani individuals still very much alive and influencing affairs. As of today, Fulanis remain the most influential single ethnolinguistic group in various spheres in Africa. Many of those you mentioned made waves in the past and cannot be regarded as influential on a continental scale. If the article is not enough proof for you as to how influential they are, feel free to read up. Or better still, write a rejoinder on any of those you believe to be the most influential. Then and only then, I'd start taking you serious grin Thanks.
ShyM-X:

You keep posting ridiculous posts about how influential Fulani's are, however you haven't provided any proof to back-up your assertion. Provide proofs, or stick to what you know.

I ask again: what did the Fulani's contribute to African history to make them influential?

That's the problem with the Nigerian educational system and lack of proper education about African history. Most of you just read a bunch of crap and start posting ridiculous information all over the web. The sphere of influence of the Fulani doesn't go beyond NW and parts of NE Nigeria. Heck, they don't even have a proper culture apart what they stole from the Hausa and Arabs.

Btw, do they even teach you lot African history in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by PhysicsQED(m): 10:46pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: Thank you o, that is what I am looking forward to seeing, a similar list of any other ethnic group and I will withdraw my assertion.

I don't really have the time to do something like that nor do I have sufficient interest in the issue to do so, but I will say that I think that even in the region of West Africa that Fulanis are from there is a more influential group - the Mande. I personally think Mande-speaking people are more influential overall, especially when past history and influence outside of Africa is taken into account. If someone took the time to assemble a list of prominent Mande-speaking people from the past and present, it would definitely be better than that list in the opening post. But like I said, the issue isn't interesting enough to me personally to warrant that kind of effort.

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 26, 2013
[size=18pt]Let's kick off with the Mandika People[/size]

Sierra Leone
Alhaji Ahmad Tejan Kabbah, President of Sierra Leone from 1996–2007
Haja Afsatu Kabba, Former Sierra Leone's Minister of Marine Resources and Fisheries
Alhaji Mohamed Kemoh Fadika, current Sierra Leone's ambassador to Iran
Mabinty Daramy, current Sierra Leone's Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry
Fode Dabo, current Sierra Leone Ambassador to Belgium; he is also Sierra Leone's permanent representative to France, Netherlands, Luxemburg and Italy
Alhaji Shekuba Saccoh, current Sierra Leone's ambassador to Guinea
Ibrahim Jaffa Condeh, Sierra Leonean journalist and news anchor
Neneh Dabo, Director of the Sierra Leone Anti Corruption Commission (ACC).
Mohamed Kakay, member of parliament of Sierra Leone from Koinadugu District (SLPP)
Mohamed B. Daramy, Sierra Leone minister of Development and Economic Planning from 2002–2007
Alhaji A. B. Sheriff, member of Parliament from Koinadugu District (SLPP)
Tejan Amadu Mansaray, member of parliament of Sierra Leone representing Koinadugu District (APC)
Kadijatu Kebbay, Sierra Leonean model; Miss University Sierra Leone 2006 winner and represent Sierra Leone at the Miss World 2006 contest.
Sheka Tarawalie, Sierra Leonean journalist and the current Sierra Leone State House Press Secretary to president Koroma
Alhaji Bomba Jawara, member of parliament of Sierra Leone from Koinadugu District (SLPP)
Kanji Daramy, Sierra Leonean journalist and spokesman for former Sierra Leone's president Ahmad Tejan Kabbah. He is also the former Chairman of Sierra Leone National Telecommunications Commission
Brima Dawson Kuyateh, Sierra Leonean journalist and the current president of the Sierra Leone Reporters Union
Karamoh Kabba, Sierra Leonean author, writer and journalist
Sitta Umaru Turay, Sierra Leonean journalist
K-Man (born Mohamed Saccoh), Sierra Leonean musician
Alhaji Lansana Fadika, Sierra Leonean businessman and the SLPP current chairman for the Western Area. He is the younger brother of Kemoh Fadika.
Sidique Mansaray, Sierra Leonean footballer
Isha Sesay, journalist
Lansana Baryoh, Sierra Leonean footballer
Brima Keita, Sierra Leonean football manager

Guinea
Ahmed Sékou Touré, the President of Guinea from 1958 to 1984(The great Sekou Tuore)
Samory Touré, founder of the Wassoulou Empire, an Islamic military state that resisted French rule in West Africa
Sekou Touré, President of Guinea from 1958–1984; was also the grandson of Samory Touré
Alpha Condé, current Guinean President
Lansana Kouyaté, former prime minister of Guinea
Kabiné Komara, current Prime Minister of Guinea
Sekouba Bambino, Guinean musician
Sona Tata Condé, Guinean musician
Fodé Mansaré, Guinean footballer
Daouda Jabi, Guinean footballer
Mamadi Kaba, Guinean footballer
N'Faly Kouyate, Guinean musician
Kaba Diawara, Guinean footballer
Mamady Keïta, Guinean musician
Mory Kanté, Guinean kora musician
Mamady Condé, Guinean foreign minister from 2004–2007
Alhassane Keita, Guinean footballer
Sir Dawda Jawara, the first leader of the Gambia, knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 1966
Djeli Moussa Diawara, Guinean musician (also known as Jali Musa Jawara - 32-stringed Kora player)
Famoudou Konaté, Guinean musician

Liberia
Momolu Dukuly, former Liberian foreign minister.
Sekou Conneh, Current Liberian Politician.

Gambia
Alhajj Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara, first President of the Gambia
Sheriff Mustapha Dibba, Veteran politician and the First vice President of the Gambia
Ousainou Darboe, Gambian opposition leader
Sidia Jatta, opposition politician
Jatto Ceesay, footballer
Foday Musa Suso, international musician.
Kunta Kinte, one of the most famous first-generation African slaves.

Mali
Saidu Keita in action for FC Barcelona in 2008
Mansa Musa, the most famous and celebrated of all the Malian emperors(The richest man ever).
Sundiata Keita, founder of the Mali Empire
Modibo Sidibé, current Prime Minister of Mali
Modibo Keïta, President of Mali from 1960–1968
Yoro Diakité, former Malian Prime Minister
Salif Keita, Malian musician
Daba Diawara, Malian politician
Toumani Diabaté, Malian musician
Massa Makan Diabaté, Malian historian, writer and playwright
Moussa Kouyate, Malian musician
Saidu Keita, Malian footballer
Baba Sissoko, Malian musician
Aoua Kéita, Malian politician and activist
Mamady Sidibé, Malian footballer
Mohamed Sissoko, Malian footballer
Soumaila Coulibaly, Malian footballer
Amadou Toumani Touré,Ex President of Mali

Côte d'Ivoire
Tiken Jah Fakoly
Alassane Ouattara, current President of Côte d'Ivoire
Tiken Jah Fakoly, Ivorian (Reggae) musician
Guillaume Soro, Ivorian politician
Henriette Diabaté, Ivorian politician, former government Minister
Didier Drogba, Ivorian footballer
Kolo Touré, Ivorian footballer
Arouna Koné, Ivorian footballer
Abdul Kader Keïta, Ivorian footballer
Bakari Koné, Ivorian footballer
Alpha Blondy, Ivorian (Reggae) musician
Yaya Touré, Ivorian footballer
Ahmadou Kourouma, Ivoirian writer.

Senegal
Seckou Keita, Senegalese musician
Souleymane Diawara, Senegalese footballer

Burkina Faso
Amadou Coulibaly, Burkinabé footballer
Cheick Kongo, Burkinabé mixed martial artist
Joseph Ki-Zerbo, political leader and historian
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 26, 2013
[size=14pt]Let's kick off with the Mandika People[/size]

Sierra Leone
Alhaji Ahmad Tejan Kabbah, President of Sierra Leone from 1996–2007
Haja Afsatu Kabba, Former Sierra Leone's Minister of Marine Resources and Fisheries
Alhaji Mohamed Kemoh Fadika, current Sierra Leone's ambassador to Iran
Mabinty Daramy, current Sierra Leone's Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry
Fode Dabo, current Sierra Leone Ambassador to Belgium; he is also Sierra Leone's permanent representative to France, Netherlands, Luxemburg and Italy
Alhaji Shekuba Saccoh, current Sierra Leone's ambassador to Guinea
Ibrahim Jaffa Condeh, Sierra Leonean journalist and news anchor
Neneh Dabo, Director of the Sierra Leone Anti Corruption Commission (ACC).
Mohamed Kakay, member of parliament of Sierra Leone from Koinadugu District (SLPP)
Mohamed B. Daramy, Sierra Leone minister of Development and Economic Planning from 2002–2007
Alhaji A. B. Sheriff, member of Parliament from Koinadugu District (SLPP)
Tejan Amadu Mansaray, member of parliament of Sierra Leone representing Koinadugu District (APC)
Kadijatu Kebbay, Sierra Leonean model; Miss University Sierra Leone 2006 winner and represent Sierra Leone at the Miss World 2006 contest.
Sheka Tarawalie, Sierra Leonean journalist and the current Sierra Leone State House Press Secretary to president Koroma
Alhaji Bomba Jawara, member of parliament of Sierra Leone from Koinadugu District (SLPP)
Kanji Daramy, Sierra Leonean journalist and spokesman for former Sierra Leone's president Ahmad Tejan Kabbah. He is also the former Chairman of Sierra Leone National Telecommunications Commission
Brima Dawson Kuyateh, Sierra Leonean journalist and the current president of the Sierra Leone Reporters Union
Karamoh Kabba, Sierra Leonean author, writer and journalist
Sitta Umaru Turay, Sierra Leonean journalist
K-Man (born Mohamed Saccoh), Sierra Leonean musician
Alhaji Lansana Fadika, Sierra Leonean businessman and the SLPP current chairman for the Western Area. He is the younger brother of Kemoh Fadika.
Sidique Mansaray, Sierra Leonean footballer
Isha Sesay, journalist
Lansana Baryoh, Sierra Leonean footballer
Brima Keita, Sierra Leonean football manager

Guinea
Ahmed Sékou Touré, the President of Guinea from 1958 to 1984(The great Sekou Tuore)
Samory Touré, founder of the Wassoulou Empire, an Islamic military state that resisted French rule in West Africa
Sekou Touré, President of Guinea from 1958–1984; was also the grandson of Samory Touré
Alpha Condé, current Guinean President
Lansana Kouyaté, former prime minister of Guinea
Kabiné Komara, current Prime Minister of Guinea
Sekouba Bambino, Guinean musician
Sona Tata Condé, Guinean musician
Fodé Mansaré, Guinean footballer
Daouda Jabi, Guinean footballer
Mamadi Kaba, Guinean footballer
N'Faly Kouyate, Guinean musician
Kaba Diawara, Guinean footballer
Mamady Keïta, Guinean musician
Mory Kanté, Guinean kora musician
Mamady Condé, Guinean foreign minister from 2004–2007
Alhassane Keita, Guinean footballer
Sir Dawda Jawara, the first leader of the Gambia, knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 1966
Djeli Moussa Diawara, Guinean musician (also known as Jali Musa Jawara - 32-stringed Kora player)
Famoudou Konaté, Guinean musician

Liberia
Momolu Dukuly, former Liberian foreign minister.
Sekou Conneh, Current Liberian Politician.

Gambia
Alhajj Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara, first President of the Gambia
Sheriff Mustapha Dibba, Veteran politician and the First vice President of the Gambia
Ousainou Darboe, Gambian opposition leader
Sidia Jatta, opposition politician
Jatto Ceesay, footballer
Foday Musa Suso, international musician.
Kunta Kinte, one of the most famous first-generation African slaves.

Mali
Saidu Keita in action for FC Barcelona in 2008
Mansa Musa, the most famous and celebrated of all the Malian emperors(The richest man ever).
Sundiata Keita, founder of the Mali Empire
Modibo Sidibé, current Prime Minister of Mali
Modibo Keïta, President of Mali from 1960–1968
Yoro Diakité, former Malian Prime Minister
Salif Keita, Malian musician
Daba Diawara, Malian politician
Toumani Diabaté, Malian musician
Massa Makan Diabaté, Malian historian, writer and playwright
Moussa Kouyate, Malian musician
Saidu Keita, Malian footballer
Baba Sissoko, Malian musician
Aoua Kéita, Malian politician and activist
Mamady Sidibé, Malian footballer
Mohamed Sissoko, Malian footballer
Soumaila Coulibaly, Malian footballer
Amadou Toumani Touré,Ex President of Mali

Côte d'Ivoire
Tiken Jah Fakoly
Alassane Ouattara, current President of Côte d'Ivoire
Tiken Jah Fakoly, Ivorian (Reggae) musician
Guillaume Soro, Ivorian politician
Henriette Diabaté, Ivorian politician, former government Minister
Didier Drogba, Ivorian footballer
Kolo Touré, Ivorian footballer
Arouna Koné, Ivorian footballer
Abdul Kader Keïta, Ivorian footballer
Bakari Koné, Ivorian footballer
Alpha Blondy, Ivorian (Reggae) musician
Yaya Touré, Ivorian footballer
Ahmadou Kourouma, Ivoirian writer.

Senegal
Seckou Keita, Senegalese musician
Souleymane Diawara, Senegalese footballer

Burkina Faso
Amadou Coulibaly, Burkinabé footballer
Cheick Kongo, Burkinabé mixed martial artist
Joseph Ki-Zerbo, political leader and historian
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 10:58pm On May 26, 2013
Brilliant! In your own view, Mandes are more influential while I go for Fulanis because they are of sufficient interest to me and I have given what I think are sufficient points based on my conviction (I don't have time either but my belief in this assertion is strong enough to make me carve out some time out of no time). We have diverging views but that should not cause gobe na. grin And one more thing, no matter the ethnic group you choose to be most influential, I really don't expect everyone to view it with a neutral eye. Either you say it is Mande o, Hausa o, Zulus or Edos o, there will always be those with different views. We are talking of tribes here and people have affiliations so no lele. All tribes cannot be the most influential wink

And just for reference, you can see a similar drama playing out itself here when the question of the most influential Nigerian monarch was raised, so the varied reactions are normal and expected. See here >>>>https://www.nairaland.com/657732/nigeria-most-influential-monarch
PhysicsQED:

I don't really have the time to do something like that nor do I have sufficient interest in the issue to do so, but I will say that I think that even in the region of West Africa that Fulanis are from there is a more influential group - the Mande. I personally think Mande-speaking people are more influential overall, especially when past history and influence outside of Africa is taken into account. If someone took the time to assemble a list of prominent Mande-speaking people from the past and present, it would definitely be better than that list in the opening post. But like I said, the issue isn't interesting enough to me personally to warrant that kind of effort.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 26, 2013
Go check the mandika tribe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandinka_people

The spambot keeps banning me for posting it because the list is endless.

Any list with Sekou Toure, Mansa Musa, Didier Drogba, Alhaji Ahmad Tejan Kabbah, Isha Sesay, Alpha Condé, Kabiné Komara, Lansana Kouyaté, Alhajj Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara, Sundiata Keita, Modibo Sidibé, Modibo Keïta, Yoro Diakité, Saidu Keita, Amadou Toumani Touré, Alassane Ouattara, Yaya Toure etc.(just to name a few) should put this debate to rest. smiley

Google all those names!!
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 26, 2013
Go check the mandika tribe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandinka_people

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 11:09pm On May 26, 2013
And here is a longer and more impressive list>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_people
shymexx: Go check the mandika tribe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandinka_people

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 26, 2013
When you have checked the list for Mandika people, come back with your argument. grin

- Mansa Musa.
- Current president of Ivory coast.
- Current president of Guinea, current PM of Guinea, and also ex PM of Guinea.
- Former president of Sierra Leone.
- Isha Sesay.
- Sekou Toure.
- Didier Drogba, Saidu Keita and Yaya Toure.
- First president of Gambia.
- Founder of the Malian empire.
- Current PM of MAli and three ex presidents of the same country.

The list is endless. grin
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 11:11pm On May 26, 2013
I've already responded wink
shymexx: When you have checked the list for Mandika people, come back with your argument. grin

- Mansa Musa.
- Current president of Ivory coast.
- Current president of Guinea, current PM of Guinea, and also ex PM of Guinea.
- Former president of Sierra Leone.
- Isha Sesay.
- Sekou Toure.
- Didier Drogba, Saidu Keita and Yaya Toure.
- First president of Gambia.
- Founder of the Malian empire.
- Current PM of MAli and three ex presidents of the same country.

The list is endless. grin
And just to remind you in case you missed it, the list contains ELEVEN heads of state in different countries, including two current Presidents (Mali and Senegal), and not just to intimidate you, I did not even count the former and serving Fula prime ministers.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: And here is a longer and more impressive list>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fula_people

That list can't even compete with the Mende people.

You don't have any proof - just stop it.

And that's just a tribe in West Africa. You don't want me going to East and Southern Africa.

Even most tribes in Nigeria can boast of a bigger list than that.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 11:16pm On May 26, 2013
Hahahhaahaha.....lol! You are funny! Now you want to shift to Mende people...lol! I understand, your Mandinka didn't work shey? grin Bring on your Mende list and let's see, or is it not this one? >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mende_people
shymexx:

That list can't even compete with the Mende people.

You don't have any proof - just stop it.

And that's just a tribe in West Africa. You don't want me going to East and Southern Africa.

Even most tribes in Nigeria can boast of a bigger list than that.
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: I've already responded wink

The mandika have produced 10 presidents in five West African countries, can the Fulani's ever match that?

Will dangote ever be as rich as Mansa Musa?

Can the Fulani's ever build an empire as great as the Malian empire?

Can the Fulani's boast of any footballer as good as the trio of: Didier Drogba(Chelsea FC), Saidu Keita(Barcelona and Sevilla), and Yaya Toura(Barcelona and Man City)?

Let's do a pound for pound comparison. grin

1 Like

Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Abiyamo: 11:22pm On May 26, 2013
Don't shoot yourself in the foot na. No tribe in West Africa has produced more heads of state than the Fulanis. Go read again. Mansa Musa is dead and we know his worth. Dangote is alive and his possibilities are endless. He can very well be the richest man in the world (actually, he believes he will be). Well, not a few believed he would be the world's richest black so no qualms. The Sokoto Caliphate built by the Fulanis endures till date, all we have of the ancient Mali Empire are ruins now desecrated by Islamist rebels. Abi no be so? As for footballers, I refer you back to the list. grin
shymexx:

The mandika have produced 10 presidents in five West African countries, can the Fulani's ever match that?

Will dangote ever be as rich as Mansa Musa?

Can the Fulani's ever build an empire as great as the Malian empire?

Can the Fulani's boast of any footballer as good as the trio of: Didier Drogba(Chelsea FC), Saidu Keita(Barcelona and Sevilla), and Yaya Toura(Barcelona and Man City)?

Let's do a pound for pound comparison. grin
Re: The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 26, 2013
Abiyamọ: Don't shoot yourself in the foot na. No tribe in West Africa has produced more heads of state than the Fulanis. Go read again. Mansa Musa is dead and we know his worth. Dangote is alive and his possibilities are endless. He can very well be the richest man in the world (actually, he believes he will be). Well, not a few believed he would be the world's richest black so no qualms. The Sokoto Caliphate built by the Fulanis endures till date, all we have of the ancient Mali Empire are ruins now desecrated by Islamist rebels. Abi no be so? As for footballers, I refer you back to the list. grin

Don't change the topic. The topic is about the most influential. Mansa Musa was more influential than Dangote will ever be. His name will forever be ingrained in the annals of history as the richest ever to walk this planet. Malian empire might be in ruins, but millions of tourists still go over there year in, year out, to witness its blessings to humanity. There's no city as famous as Timbuktu in sub-saharan Africa!!! That's the city of legends!! How many tourists visit the Sokoto caliphate? - that shows how inconsequential the place is.

All the footballers on that list combined can't lace Didier Drogba's boots!!! grin

Can the Fulani produce a Sekou Toure?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Memunat And Ola: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wives Were Childhood Best Friends / Viral Lady In Royal Outfit Is NOT New Ooni Of Ife’s Wife (more Photos) / Beautiful Efik Brides In Their Costume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.