Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car (9597 Views)

Buying A Used Car? Read This First To Avoid Making The Mistakes I Made / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by azat: 5:05pm On May 25, 2013
With a budget range of 600 - 700k, I have been advised to go for a neat naija used car of a newer model rather than a foreign used older model, on the grounds that a 16yr old toks, for example, is more likely to give more problems than a ride 3 to 4 yrs younger but naija used.

Pls I need further advice and guildance regarding this.
Thanks
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by CHIMCO(m): 6:17pm On May 25, 2013
Majority of naija used cars are scrabs . Is better to add some money and buy good foriegn used car. Naija used may look clean but had hidden faults which will endlessly drain your pocket. I am writting with experience and i have vowed never to buy naija used again.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by ayandee: 8:35pm On May 25, 2013
In d same dilemma. Will appreciate more responses

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by eminemkayc: 10:28pm On May 25, 2013
Except the person's itenary is within ikeja, oregun, opebi, omole, v.i, lekki etc and has a WELL ESTABLISHED maintenance culture, verifiable by an independent mechanic then u can go for it. I use myself as an e.g, if i decide to trade my corolla (wch i myt not wink) whoever would use it, would think its BRAND NEW!

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by azat: 7:08am On May 26, 2013
CHIMCO: Majority of naija used cars are scrabs . Is better to add some money and buy good foriegn used car. Naija used may look clean but had hidden faults which will endlessly drain your pocket. I am writting with experience and i have vowed never to buy naija used again.
thanks, i appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by azat: 7:09am On May 26, 2013
eminemkayc: Except the person's itenary is within ikeja, oregun, opebi, omole, v.i, lekki etc and has a WELL ESTABLISHED maintenance culture, verifiable by an independent mechanic then u can go for it. I use myself as an e.g, if i decide to trade my corolla (wch i myt not wink) whoever would use it, would think its BRAND NEW!
lol, i wan buy the corolla grin

on a serious note, do Nigerians even keep verifiable maintenance records? Thanks though
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by symbianDON(m): 7:34am On May 26, 2013
people sell their cars for various reasons and not necessarily because the car has hidden scary faults. While it is true that some nigerian used cars may actually be faulty and that's why the owner is selling, bear in mind that a number of foreign used vehicles also have serious faults which you may not know of until you buy them. @OP there many folks who are good at maintaining their vehicles and so if you are looking to buy a nigerian used car, please feel free but ensure you go with a very good and trustworthy mechanic preferably with an obd scanner while going to inspect the vehicle. All the best.

9 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by bayooz(m): 11:55am On May 26, 2013
So many factors are involved in buying Nigerian used car. Most importantly, reason for sale, the maintenance history and condition of the car involved. Honesty of the vendor on current status of the car matters as well. I bought a 1999 Camry and maintained it well and replaced all faulty parts from time to time. About 5 people fought to buy it. i sold the car for #600k just two weeks ago after 2 and a half year of use. Unfortunately, very few Nigerians do take well care of themselves never to talk of cars.
Best of luck. Be it tokunbo or Nigerian used cars. grin

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by baaliyah(m): 4:13pm On May 26, 2013
Some Niger used cars are good and even better than tokunbo. All my former Niger used cars are better than toks. I always take my time while shopping for cars locally. No regrets so far. My next cars will be Niger used. I bought 99 Camry toks @ 900 and spent over 200k on it withintwo months and later sold it 800k after 6 months. I later got 01 camry @ 750, on which i have not spent 10K for almost a year fuelling apart.
If u go toks, keep @ least 100k for Tyre.Reg.Battery etc

9 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by wwwkaycom(m): 8:42pm On May 29, 2013
My guy, 600k will buy you a very clean and sound tokunbo Golf 3, Audi 80 Tiger Face, Nissan Almera, Honda halla (now old anyway), 1996 Nissan Primera etc while 700k will buy you a very clean tokunbo1997 Nissan Primera, Rover 600, Honda Bullet, Honda Bulldog/Academy etc. All these are very good, moderate and economical cars if you can get a very good tokunbo. If you have between 600-700k, why not go for a very clean tokunbo of any of the above and use it with peace of mind instead of a naija used or misused car that has a 90% chance of giving you troubles, or better still, look for more money to buy a bigger car if you dont like any of the above. 90% of Naija used cars being put for sale have one hidden problem which the owner/seller will not disclose. I once bought a used car from a Medical Doctor (so called) in Lagos for 500k, I paid the mechanics who helped. me inspect it 5k, two mechanics cerified the car ok, I got the car to Akure only for the hidden problems to begin to surface. I spent fortunes trying to fix it, I later got to know through a doctor friend who knows the seller that the car was actually giving him problem. I later sold the car for 250k after telling the buyer all the problems I noticed on the car. Buying a naija used car is a game of probability which you have only a 10% chance of winning. Buy a tokunbo with what you have and have peace of mind, cheers!

8 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by bravolad(m): 11:44am On May 30, 2013
azat: With a budget range of 600 - 700k, I have been advised to go for a neat naija used car of a newer model rather than a foreign used older model, on the grounds that a 16yr old toks, for example, is more likely to give more problems than a ride 3 to 4 yrs younger but naija used.

Pls I need further advice and guildance regarding this.
Thanks

Almost all the responses so far are valid. Most Nigerians have poor maintenance culture not only about cars but virtually in all aspects of life. 80% of cars used in Nigeria are poorly maintained. Besides individuals' inability to properly maintain their vehicles, there is the syndrome of lack quality spare parts in the Nigerian market even the very established shops often do not sale genuine OEM. Another problem is unqualified auto mechanics. So the very few Nigerians who desire to keep their vehicles to the manufacturer's specification are hindered by the reasons advanced above.

Irrespective of the above, there are still some Nigerians who properly maintain their cars. I will advice the OP to buy a Nigerian used car only if he knows the history of the car in question, or the car has been certified by a competent auto garage not a road side mechanic. Most often, people do not reveal the real reason they are selling their vehicles. Only a few would.

On the other front, a well maintained older model car is more reliable than a poorly maintained newer model car. Be properly guided as to what you want. Don't let people tell you what they want. Buy a car within your budget & reach. More vital to buying a car is maintenance in the long run fueling inclusive. If I were you, I will go by the advise of wwwkaycom. You are gradually being drawn into the array of wrong belief among Nigerians about driving a millennium car. Even the older model cars in some cases are more rugged & easy to be diagnosed by some of these incompetent mechanics. Of what use is it to buy a car that would seat at the mechanic workshop for a long time.

Please be guided by your reason, budget and logic for wanting a car.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by Nobody: 4:21pm On May 30, 2013
Going by my experience with a Nigerian used Audi 90 car I bought in 2010, I will advise you save money and get a good Tokunbo car. However, you might just be lucky to get a Nigerian used that was well maintained, but please be very careful if not you might end up regretting just like I did.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by APRIDE(m): 12:34pm On May 31, 2013
I have been using a Nigerian used Toyota Corola 2004 model (Mileage - 95,000) for about two months now and i have not noticed a whiff of any kind of fault. it runs so smoothly that even my friends were in doubt about its usage thinking it was a foreign used car. The only thing i had to fix was one of the power windows' engine, i also 'gased' the AC since it was not 100% effective. I tell you, this ride is good, i did not get it on the cheap though. So i guess my car does not fall victim of the probability associated with Nigerian used vehicles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by Cyberknight: 8:22pm On May 31, 2013
I'm using a Nigerian used 2002 Camry at the moment. When I bought it it was in quite good condition, and strangely enough, just like the previous poster it only required so called "gassing" of ac and fixing of power window motor and control switch, and then I changed all the tyres. Nothing else. Drives well, handles well. So far, so good.

2 Likes

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by azat: 7:31am On Jun 01, 2013
@all, thank you so much. Your advices and experiences have been very useful.
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by Eazeee(m): 8:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
Ops must b confused by now with all d above advice. Follow ur mind n b a man dude. Taking risk is part of life

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by aflag: 7:31pm On Jun 02, 2013
Bought a naija used 06 corolla for almost six months now. I av only gased the a%c and changed the break disc, mind u the car came wit brand new tires. This baby drives sweet
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by kelvine(m): 9:53am On Dec 26, 2014
This tread is from way back 2010 and I presume OP would have been changing cars but then I only wish to add few lines. If your budget is not yet good enough for a foreign used car(tokunbo) buy a Nigerian used Toyota corrolla, fixing it won't cost a fortune(personal experience).

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by nurey(m): 11:17am On Dec 26, 2014
I can never buy a naija used car that was bought as tokunbo no matter what, I can only buy one that was bought brand new tear rubber with one user from the original owner.

My brother inlaw bought a honda Accord DC from the owner who lives around his area then the toks was around 1.8 to 2.2 depending on trim he bought 1.2 from the owner and 3yrs plus the car is still running and strong and really clean too. If you are buying a car toks or Nigerian used have in mind it won't be trouble free some parts may need change soon but it shouldn't be the butchered cars that Naija mechos have remixed its default settings
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by pdotofgod: 3:11pm On Dec 26, 2014
What me I feel abt dis issue of Nija vs toks vehicle is dat it depends on d cars in question and also the user. Either Nija or toks, maintenance culture is d key.

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by fame12k(m): 3:32pm On Jan 25, 2015
insightful.
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by Kayharry(m): 2:16pm On Sep 15, 2020
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by dfos2k(m): 12:36am On Sep 16, 2020
Please read this book. It's helpful in buying a used car. 07037532769(WhatsApp)

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by princecemo(m): 5:39pm On Apr 22, 2021
Automobile Inspection Service

Do you need to buy a car and you need an automobile expert to inspect before you buy?
You can call on us today
Take note that most mechanic are easily bribed to approve a faulty car more so most mechanic don’t inspect with the right tools.

We are experts in inspecting cars
Avoid making mistakes when buying a car
We can help you do the following

Check if a car is accident free
Engine diagnostics with a topnotch scanning device
Check for ABS faults
Check for SRS faults
Check for Transmission (gearbox) faults
Also advice you on a better option of cars to buy

We can help you buy both tokunbo and naija used cars

We are available anytime of the week

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by basadenet: 8:41pm On Apr 25, 2021
Not all nigerian used car have issues. Like me now, I sold my 08 Chevrolet in good condition, I sold it not because of any problems but because i feel like changing my car.
Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by perryy(m): 2:58am On Dec 06, 2021
My Honda was sold better than the way I bought it from Toukinbo When I bought the Tokunbo and drove it to Benin , I topped the oil but the engine I sold it with , I drove it to warri and back to Lagos , but there was no need to top the oil . The gear run better than I bought it from Tokunbo .

1 Like

Re: Your Experience With Buying A Nigerian Used Car by Dozieson(m): 9:53am On Dec 06, 2021
perryy:
My Honda was sold better than the way I bought it from Toukinbo When I bought the Tokunbo and drove it to Benin , I topped the oil but the engine I sold it with , I drove it to warri and back to Lagos , but there was no need to top the oil . The gear run better than I bought it from Tokunbo .

Did You change the gear? How did it improve?

(1) (Reply)

Help Which Model Of Toyota Rav4 To Buy / Abuja To Uyo By Road on 19 09 2014/ Uyo To Abuja By Road on 21-22 09 2014 / Seven Most Common And Most Expensive Mistakes By Drivers In Car Maintenance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.