Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. (4962 Views)

Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East / Breaking News: Nigeria Wins Un Non Permanent Seat / Permanent Seat on UN Security Council for Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Symphony007: 7:06pm On May 25, 2013
Nigeria yesterday recorded a major diplomatic victory at the on going conference of the African Union, AU, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, as her candidacy for the non-permanent seat in the United Nations, UN, Security Council, was unanimously endorsed by member countries.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru, who briefed newsmen on the development in Addis Ababa said the endorsement by African ministers of Nigeria’s candidacy was a confirmation and endorsement of Nigeria’s track record of performance as far as international diplomacy was concerned.

The AU Ministers endorsement of Nigeria for the position is coming on the heels of similar support by the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS.

The development means that the country would be the sole candidate from the continent in the election scheduled to hold in October this year.

According to Ashiru, the endorsement is a vital step in the country’s quest to be on the seat as it would now take its campaign to other regional groupings including America, Europe and Asia since it would require the support of two thirds of all UN members to be elected into the council.
“It’s like you have scored almost B+. It is just to add others to it,” he noted, adding that since Nigeria maintained cordial relations with most countries of the world, there wont be much problems securing the required two- thirds of members’ votes for the position.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/au-endorses-nigeria-for-un-non-permanent-seat/
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 25, 2013
I have endorsed Iya Basira to give me extra Semo with two fish and one Ponmo.

I would have called Insincere9gerian to join me wack but he is too busy with his daily PDP/Jona lie lie propaganda hustle.

2 Likes

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 5:46am On May 26, 2013
Why should Americas biggest puppet be represent Africa, when all they've done is to take the continent backwards.

1 Like

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by musiwa26: 6:40am On May 26, 2013
africa union did not endorse nigeria for permanent seat. they only did for non permanent seat.

4 Likes

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nwogbe: 11:50am On May 26, 2013
Great news. Hapi for my Nija
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 11:50am On May 26, 2013
non-permanent seat
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by dplomaticVal: 11:52am On May 26, 2013
Non-permanent Security council
members of UN stay for
jus a fixed
term
of 2yrs..

Daz.all undecided
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Symphony007: 11:55am On May 26, 2013
Wow!! My first topic ever on nairaland made front page! One is gratefull to everyone who made this possible.*takes a bow*.

1 Like

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 11:57am On May 26, 2013
musiwa26: africa union did not endorse nigeria for permanent seat. they only did for non permanent seat.
Is it difficult to read again? Where are my satellite pictures ?
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 26, 2013
All those saying why not permanent seat endorsement? You should be informed that there is no vacancy for permanent seat at the UN Security Council at the moment. The only available vacancy is for non-permanent member and achieving the support of all AU members is a big fit so, we are sure of no divided votes.
As for becoming a permanent member of the UN Security Council, Nigeria needs to prove to the world that she has come of age in terms of technology, military might and economic development. Until we get there, we shall cross the bridge smiley

1 Like

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Cestmoi1(f): 12:12pm On May 26, 2013
i treated a qwesion relating to dis in my last xams.Nigeria,non permanent member,hell yea! bt a permanent member? we nva get half of d requirements even as a candidate 4 a non permanent member.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 26, 2013
I endorse any moderator to hide this post non-permanently!

this one na BON-COM!

why give me stuff that can't be mine?
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by ninja4life(m): 12:33pm On May 26, 2013
zetdee: Why should Americas biggest puppet be represent Africa, when all they've done is to take the continent backwards.
so tell me fool which country should now represent africa and also how has nigeria taken africa backward.idiot.
Well i dont tink dis is nothing to jubilate about wat about un security permanent seat ooh i forgot nigeria does not really hav wat it takes to be there so wats d noise about
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by tyson55(m): 12:40pm On May 26, 2013
It's long overdue, considering the role Nigeria has been playing on the continent of African since it's inception.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Hoodrat(m): 12:49pm On May 26, 2013
You cannot destroy slavery by becoming a part of your Master’s cultural incubator." - John Henrik Clarke

Today is African Liberation Day, but why are we celebrating? We are not free yet, we are still slaves and we don't even know it. We are economically, politically and mentally colonized. We export raw materials and agriculture, then we import finished goods just like colonialism. We import most of our products, many big industries are controlled by foreigners. We accept all these foreign aid and loans to make us debt slaves. We rely on foreign contractors to build everything for us. We value everything foreign. We cannot unite, there is tribalism. Global Africans are continually demonized and marginalized everywhere in the world. We don't control our media, so we are represented poorly in the media. We have the worst Human Development Index in the world. Many of us are illiterate and don't live too long. We only speak our colonizers languages such as English, French and Arabic. African nations are now trying to introduce Chinese in classes even though our languages are dying out. We have high maternity deaths, high infancy deaths. Our best doctors and minds move to foreign countries to develop them while our continent deteriorates. This is just like slavery. Most of us don't know our great history, we only know that we were slaves and colonized. African culture, languages, religions, clothes and names are dying. We still have self hatred and inferiority complex. We cannot work together. We still fight in proxy wars funded by foreign forces that allow other countries to benefit from our resources. Our resources are still coming from the ground to fund other countries while ours are poor. We are pawns for other country's foreign policy. There are more foreign troops in Africa than during colonialism. AFRICOM is coming to Africa to kick out the Chinese and and secure investments, mines and African resources. But we won't discuss real issues we only discuss things that don't matter like celebrity gossip and European/American sports leagues. And when we discuss real issues people label it as conspiracy theories. We are still neo-colonized and our government is controlled by foreigners. They serve to keep the entire country as permanent cheap labor source, cheap resources and a consumer market. We still have the ICC only putting Africans in jail. These bad International Monetary Fund, World Bank Loans and the World Trade Organization are not serving our interests. The United Nations peace keeping troops do nothing for Africa and actually causing more damage. The colonial Pact makes Francophone African countries slaves to France. So, I am NOT celebrating African Liberation Day. I will not celebrate this until we are free from mental, political, and economic slavery/colonization. We must control our own economies and produce what we consume. Love our own products, services and businesses. Go to tourism in our own countries. Build our own institutions instead of going to other ones. Work together worldwide in Pan Africanism. Working together for the uplift of ourselves.

Pan Africa' leaders and the African Union MUST NOT BE AFRAID to unite as one nation and declare themselves a United States of Africa. Imperialist are not helping any African but rather furthering their own agendas."

Racism denies people's access to life, liberty, to the pursue of happiness, to proper education, to control over their own resources etc.

4 Likes

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by bknight: 1:02pm On May 26, 2013
Hoodrat: You cannot destroy slavery by becoming a part of your Master’s cultural incubator." - John Henrik Clarke

Today is African Liberation Day, but why are we celebrating? We are not free yet, we are still slaves and we don't even know it. We are economically, politically and mentally colonized. We export raw materials and agriculture, then we import finished goods just like colonialism. We import most of our products, many big industries are controlled by foreigners. We accept all these foreign aid and loans to make us debt slaves. We rely on foreign contractors to build everything for us. We value everything foreign. We cannot unite, there is tribalism. Global Africans are continually demonized and marginalized everywhere in the world. We don't control our media, so we are represented poorly in the media. We have the worst Human Development Index in the world. Many of us are illiterate and don't live too long. We only speak our colonizers languages such as English, French and Arabic. African nations are now trying to introduce Chinese in classes even though our languages are dying out. We have high maternity deaths, high infancy deaths. Our best doctors and minds move to foreign countries to develop them while our continent deteriorates. This is just like slavery. Most of us don't know our great history, we only know that we were slaves and colonized. African culture, languages, religions, clothes and names are dying. We still have self hatred and inferiority complex. We cannot work together. We still fight in proxy wars funded by foreign forces that allow other countries to benefit from our resources. Our resources are still coming from the ground to fund other countries while ours are poor. We are pawns for other country's foreign policy. There are more foreign troops in Africa than during colonialism. AFRICOM is coming to Africa to kick out the Chinese and and secure investments, mines and African resources. But we won't discuss real issues we only discuss things that don't matter like celebrity gossip and European/American sports leagues. And when we discuss real issues people label it as conspiracy theories. We are still neo-colonized and our government is controlled by foreigners. They serve to keep the entire country as permanent cheap labor source, cheap resources and a consumer market. We still have the ICC only putting Africans in jail. These bad International Monetary Fund, World Bank Loans and the World Trade Organization are not serving our interests. The United Nations peace keeping troops do nothing for Africa and actually causing more damage. The colonial Pact makes Francophone African countries slaves to France. So, I am NOT celebrating African Liberation Day. I will not celebrate this until we are free from mental, political, and economic slavery/colonization. We must control our own economies and produce what we consume. Love our own products, services and businesses. Go to tourism in our own countries. Build our own institutions instead of going to other ones. Work together worldwide in Pan Africanism. Working together for the uplift of ourselves.

Pan Africa' leaders and the African Union MUST NOT BE AFRAID to unite as one nation and declare themselves a United States of Africa. Imperialist are not helping any African but rather furthering their own agendas."

Racism denies people's access to life, liberty, to the pursue of happiness, to proper education, to control over their own resources etc.

Son of d soil, may d gods bless u Sir! I am most happy to hv read this piece!

2 Likes

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 26, 2013
koastar: All those saying why not permanent seat endorsement? You should be informed that there is no vacancy for permanent seat at the UN Security Council at the moment. The only available vacancy is for non-permanent member and achieving the support of all AU members is a big fit so, we are sure of no divided votes.
As for becoming a permanent member of the UN Security Council, Nigeria needs to prove to the world that she has come of age in terms of technology, military might and economic development. Until we get there, we shall cross the bridge smiley

I don't remember well, but I don't think this is the first time Nigeria is serving on the Security Council as a non-permanent member. What we've been angling for and competing against South Africa and, I think, Egypt for is a permanent seat on the Council.

So the worthwhile news would be if we'd got it.

1 Like

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 26, 2013
ninja4life:
so tell me fool which country should now represent africa and also how has nigeria taken africa backward.idiot.
Well i dont tink dis is nothing to jubilate about wat about un security permanent seat ooh i forgot nigeria does not really hav wat it takes to be there so wats d noise about
the boy is a south african. He hates Nigeria so much that he wished all of us death!
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 26, 2013
zetdee: Why should Americas biggest puppet be represent Africa, when all they've done is to take the continent backwards.
I talk am yesterday sey you no get sense, but you think sey na lie. You ghanians why can't you leave dis nairaland? Dis the opportunity for you to go open your own cediland but you won't do it till a Nigerian will do it for you.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by chriskwaku: 5:07pm On May 26, 2013
googlepikin: I talk am yesterday sey you no get sense, but you think sey na lie. You ghanians why can't you leave dis nairaland? Dis the opportunity for you to go open your own cediland but you won't do it till a Nigerian will do it for you.
What gives you the impression that he is a Ghanaian? Na wa for you.When a South African criticizes you, you hurriedly assume he is a Ghanaian.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by fajen(m): 5:08pm On May 26, 2013
Great Nigeria and Africa at large, have you ever seen a real black man and a white man compete for something without favouritism and bias of any kind? The blacks always win, so now tell me why they would not be scared of africans, Nigeria at 50's, the rate of development scared them cos when they are at 50, they are not as developed as Nigeria, we keep complaining becourse we know we can do and desearve better.
Following the likes of Walter Rodney of Africa and Bob Marley " we gat to kick those bald head out of the yard" let's believe in ourselves and keep penetrating I must bet it with you they (the white's) gona regret it one day even if its take a while.@nairalanders good observations, let's motivates ourselves.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Inik(m): 6:03pm On May 26, 2013
There is nothing special about being a non-permanent member of the Un security council. I think we have occupied that seat sometime in the past.
A non-permanent member does not have veto power to veto decisions so the seat is more or less ceremonial. We should be pushing for our well deserved permanent seat in the security council.
It is a good move all the same, kudos to our foreign policy & diplomats, it shows that Nigeria calls the shots in Africa.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I don't remember well, but I don't think this is the first time Nigeria is serving on the Security Council as a non-permanent member. What we've been angling for and competing against South Africa and, I think, Egypt for is a permanent seat on the Council

So the worthwhile news would be if we'd got it.
No African country has ever been on the permanent seat of the security council. The permanent members are: China, France, Russia, UK and USA. I hope that one day an African nation will occupy that seat, I pray it's Nigeria.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Hoodrat(m): 7:18pm On May 26, 2013
Two Pan African greatest - Kwame Nkrumah and Patrice Lumumba.
Today Africa leaders are shame to freedom fighter of the past because they have consciously chosen not to live up to the legacy of"do or die.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 26, 2013
I as a Nigerian do not support this. Nigeria will just be a willing tool for US, Israel, UK and France..

They should have picked Egypt. S.A and Nigeria are puppet nations...
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 26, 2013
Go Nigeria. It is time we start behaving like civilized people and instill civility on our people everywhere. We need to organize ourselves and use every opportunity available to us to develop our society.

It is about time we fight for the peace of Africa and have a voice as Africans in what is politically going wrong in all parts of the continent.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 26, 2013
koastar:
No African country has ever been on the permanent seat of the security council. The permanent members are: China, France, Russia, UK and USA. I hope that one day an African nation will occupy that seat, I pray it's Nigeria.

I don't know if you meant to correct me or something, but I knew before writing that there are only five permanent seats on the Council and they're all taken. The issue is that two new seats, I think were to be created, one of them for Africa. And Nigeria is very interested in it along with SA. That's where I said the big news is: whether we've merited it.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by cap28: 11:37pm On May 26, 2013
Hoodrat: You cannot destroy slavery by becoming a part of your Master’s cultural incubator." - John Henrik Clarke

One of the few intelligent posters on nl
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by london2lasgidi(m): 1:07am On May 27, 2013

I smile and borderline shed tears of joy every time I see this man's name. He was the master teacher and the encyclopedia of African history. Baba will definitely get his just due one day!! sad

My mentor and my teacher!! R.I.P Dr. John Henrik Clarke!!!! cry

"My feet have felt the sands of many nations, I have drunk the water of may springs, I'm old, older than the pyramids, I'm older than the race that oppresses me, I'll live on...I'll outlive oppression, I'll outlive oppressors." - Dr. John Henrik Clarke.

1 Like

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Nobody: 8:56am On May 27, 2013
chriskwaku:
What gives you the impression that he is a Ghanaian? Na wa for you.When a South African criticizes you, you hurriedly assume he is a Ghanaian.
cos I've being following all of them ghanians, and he is not a SA. I know the goat for a long time now. He is good at criticizing Nigeria in everything.
Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by Kk4(m): 12:32pm On May 27, 2013

Most enlightening piece I have read on nairaland in a very long time. Good one brother. Remain blessed

Re: AU Endorses Nigeria For U.N Security Council non-permanent seat. by igbo2011(m): 4:09pm On May 28, 2013
cap28:
One of the few intelligent posters on nl

@bknight and @cap28

@hoodrat stole that quote about African liberation day from me. Check out this from my page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523253767736043&set=pb.278164788911610.-2207520000.1369753788.&type=3&theater

Give credit where credit is due!!

(1) (Reply)

History Sunday 101: My Questions On Ojukwu / My Visit To South East Nigeria / Nigeria Economic Challenges, Jonathan/ngozi Would Have Done Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.