Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae (50068 Views)

Looking For An Evi Edna Ogholi Song! / Where Is Evi Edna Ogholi? / Evi Edna-ogholi Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Abiyamo: 11:49pm On May 25, 2013
[b]Uuuuuuh yeh, very very many happy returns

Silver and gold have I not
So I give you my token gift
The card is small, the card is cheap
But I know you will appreciate

Chorus 2x
Uuuuuuh yeh, I wish you happy birthday
Uuuuuuh yeh, very very many happy returns

You look so good
You look so bright
Everyone is talking about you
Birthdays come once in a year
And I know you want to celebrate

Repeat Chorus 2x

Tinkle tinkle goes the clock
And good morning everyday
Chatting, laughing happily
What do we do, we have to survive

Repeat Chorus 2x

The world is big
The world is deep
Today is just like another day
Too many people, all around
And for you today, your special day

Repeat Chorus 2x

Repeat Chorus 2x

Repeat Chorus till fade ….
[/b]
ENJOY the video of Happy Birthday here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GtrqUIxZ_AE

Take it or leave it, if you are a Nigerian and you celebrated your birthdays while young without playing Evi-Edna Ogholi's Happy Birthday for the entire neighborhood to rock and your friends in flashy and bulbous wears, that does not count as a birthday, it is a baidei and you need to do it again. LOL! Well, while I was growing up, her audio cassette was a constant feature in the home (I still remember her smiling face on the cover). Whether there was baidei or not, we always enjoyed the tune of this Isoko talent.

And the birthdays (or baideis as the case may be) too then were not bad, a few bottles of Mirinda or Sprite which must show in the pictures or the photographer would be in hot soup, a very wide circular cake that looked like a South African World Cup stadium with your name boldly written on it as if it was a national award, and from the middle stuck out a giant knife that was more of a cutlass. Well, we enjoyed ourselves, ate white rice with stew (and fried chicken, was that not the definition of Paradise then?), had sweets, chewing gums, (took 90 pieces of Cabin biscuits to school the next day for classmates), took pictures (atimes special treats at Adams Foto Studios), danced to Evi, King Sunny Ade, Obey, Onyeka Onwenu, Barrister and many others (Dbanj? Who's that?) LOL!

EARLY DAYS
Evi-Edna Ogholi was born on the 6th of July 1965 in Isoko, Delta State (then Bendel State) to the household of Reverend R. O. Ogholi.

MUSIC CAREER
Immediately she was done with high school in 1985, she 'escaped' to Lagos where she hoped to have a big break in music. She entered Lagos with a demo tape of her songs. It was while in Eko Akete, the Land of Aromisalegbz that she met Emma Oghosi who was at that time a divorcee musician in the pop genre. They later got married but was initially her manager and producer. Her debut album was dropped in 1987 and it was titled 'My Kind of Music'. This boldly signified her place as Nigeria's first real female reggae artiste. Thereafter, she released three more albums: On The Move, Happy Birthday and Step by Step. These three albums were very popular, with each going platinum, and she even toured the West African region dazzling audiences with her performances in 1989. She was just about 23 then. Happy Birthday was released under Polygram Records (later Premier Records) in 1988.

Her songs were socially relevant and were of great benefit to the community at large. For example, in the late 1980s and early 1990s when she reigned on the Nigerian music scene, one of her songs was Look Before You Cross which lectured youngsters on basic road safety principles. Today, our musicians ask if you can kirun lori Express tabi lori BRT, joor o! (pray on an expressway or BRT lane) LOL!

A master guitarist, her fans nicknamed her 'Njoku Reggae' as she made 'njoku, njoku' sounds as she struck the chords, and she sang mainly in vernacular and her native Isoko language. In addition to the ones mentioned above, these are some of her other classics:

-Ririovara (Wipe Your Tears)
-Oghene Me (My God)
-Message to the Youths
-Jealousy
-Okioghne (God's Time)
-One Kilometre

Happy Birthday is without a doubt, the most popular of her songs, and was played all over Nigeria (it actually became more of a national anthem) and in other West African nations during birthday parties (like mine...lol!) Till today, people still rock her songs at birthday celebrations. She got sponsorship deals from various companies like Pepsi and toured the length and breadth of Nigeria performing to millions. Listening to Evi-Edna Ogholi today is nostalgic as it brings back memories of when Nigeria worked, when things were a lot better than now. Well, it will get better.

LOVE, MARRIAGE & LATER CAREER

Well, with time, she also surrendered to the drift of brain drain leaving Nigeria for Europe in search of greener pastures. She was not the only one who left Nigeria when things became harder and efforts of indigenous artistes were not being adequately rewarded (pirates in Alaba International Market today still do worse than those on the coast of Somalia). Other artistes who also left the shores of Naija included the Lijadu Sisters, Majekodunmi Fasheke (Majek Fashek), Ukeleke Umwubuya (Ras Kimono), Orits Wiliki, Mandators, Felix Liberty, Alex Zito and Alex O (Okoligwe). Before finally leaving for Europe, she tried to fight back the pirates, even travelled to Ivory Coast to confront some of them but later had to just leave it all. Her husband, Emma Ogosi and one of Nigeria's fnest music producers said:

“ I think Evi left when she couldn’t cope with the sad reality that our fortune had changed. She couldn’t come to terms with the fact that the party was over.

“And after four years of having to struggle to try and make ends meet, she thought she could change things. That was when she decided she needed to take a break and travel to the West Coast to pursue some of the bootleggers who were busy pirating her works. When she left, we were in touch, until she decided to move to Abidjan, Cote D’ Voire. But I was advised not to let her go into that country because of the crisis. But before I got to her, she was already in. And for three months, we heard nothing from her and thought something had happened to her.
But knowing Evi for her resilience, I kept faith and was, therefore, not surprised, when one day, she called to say she was in Paris.....Yes, she called from Paris....she may have joined a CNN crew to escape as I gathered.”

He said he waited for her for nine years but later had to move on: I kept faith for nine years but right now there is a woman I ‘m seeing. But I have told her there is a woman whom I love and who is still my legal wife. And if she returns today and wants her home back, well… . She understands this and she is not complaining.”
Sometimes women act funny. Did Evi ever try to find out if he was seeing anyone?
“Yes, and that was eight years ago when she asked the daughter.”

Today, she is settled in Paris, France with her family. She is living on a low-key but her many fans (like this writer) still eagerly await her homecoming. Who says she cannot make a massive comeback? You don forget Pa Fatai Rolling Dollar ni? Well, I am very hopeful we'll be seeing her concerts soon, very soon. Afterall, one of her songs has a reassuring title: There Is No Place Like Home.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. (by the way, if today is your birthday, dedicates this post to you! grin )
SOURCE: http://.com/evi-edna-ogholi-nigerias-queen-of-reggae/

31 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Afam4eva(m): 11:56pm On May 25, 2013
Her song brings back some very fond memories. That's when Nigeria was Nigeria(at least better than now). I hate Blackberry, Ipad, laptop etc etc etc. These things have made the world easy but uninteresting. I prefere the 80s and 90s.

9 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Nobody: 6:48am On May 26, 2013
Afam4eva: Her song brings back some very fond memories. That's when Nigeria was Nigeria(at least better than now). I hate Blackberry, Ipad, laptop etc etc etc. These things have made the world easy but uninteresting. I prefere the 80s and 90s.

lol....old timers like you are a cancer to the new generation.

I remember her song as a very small child in the early 90's

2 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by MajeOfficial: 6:50am On May 26, 2013
Afam4eva: Her song brings back some very fond memories. That's when Nigeria was Nigeria(at least better than now). I hate Blackberry, Ipad, laptop etc etc etc. These things have made the world easy but uninteresting. I prefere the 80s and 90s.

In the 80s when children were still dying from common diarrhea? Nigeria was better because i didn't have 'laptop'? wow.

2 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by eriegua83: 6:53am On May 26, 2013
She is a very good musician. That was when music has good meanings unlike now that most of their lyrics is rubbish. @op its its former bendel now delta state.

6 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by hisxlency: 7:00am On May 26, 2013
Each and every one off her song have a message to pass across.

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by AMvanquish: 7:00am On May 26, 2013
@ Op! Nice one! It sure does bring back memories! With those massive tape cassette players dat would rock the whole neighborhood back den. Dress to kill with sweet Punk hair cuts. Cameras that are big like telescope and the flash can blind you! When PHCN was steady witouth issues. Back when Naija dint hv so many issues! Sweet memories grin

4 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Vancouverplus: 7:02am On May 26, 2013
I love this lady kiss One of the Best in the 80's

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Nobody: 7:04am On May 26, 2013
She till looks ok.

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Nobody: 7:05am On May 26, 2013
Classic will always remain classic. Sung from the heart. It is timeless and you can't buy time.

3 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by babaglo79: 7:06am On May 26, 2013
correction. isoko nation is in then bendel state but now in delta state.

2 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Nobody: 7:06am On May 26, 2013
why is she alone without her family in faraway paris and what exactly is she doing there?
whoever knows her should please tell her to come home as things are gradually working out now. she could be hired as a mentor to young artistes in the numerous talents shows that are presently saturating the entertainment industry.

6 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by shaiba(f): 7:06am On May 26, 2013
... and decent dressing was the order of the day, wow how time flies...

5 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by gen2briz(m): 7:06am On May 26, 2013
She look reggae

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by YOUNGICE1(m): 7:06am On May 26, 2013
F

4 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by bonna4u(m): 7:08am On May 26, 2013
When you talk of talent, this great woman has got it and as they say, good wine never go bad(correct me if I got the saying wrong), same as her songs too. Any time I listen to her birthday song, tear build in my eyes as it takes me back to when I was in nursey school. Looking forward to the day you return

2 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Nobody: 7:09am On May 26, 2013
AMvanquish: @ Op! Nice one! It sure does bring back memories! With those massive tape cassette players dat would rock the whole neighborhood back den. Dress to kill with sweet Punk hair cuts. Cameras that are big like telescope and the flash can blind you! When PHCN was steady witouth issues. Back when Naija dint hv so many issues! Sweet memories grin
abeg lie small small. when was nepa ever without issues and naija didnt have issues.

5 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by 30card(m): 7:16am On May 26, 2013
EARLY DAYS
Evi-Edna Ogholi was born on the 6th of July 1965
in Isoko, Edo State (now Bendel State) to the
household of Reverend R. O. Ogholi.

She is from DELTA STATE (formerly under BENDEL STATE

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by crisycent: 7:17am On May 26, 2013
I remember that particular line, look ur left, look ur right, look ur left b4 u cross. Na wah o! Man don dey old o. Imagine d kind old song wen I sabi.

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by azpekuliar: 7:17am On May 26, 2013
Nice memories from the early '90s. Wonder where she is now. OP do a feature too on the following, The Mandators, Peterside Otong, Ras Kimono, Daniel Wilson, Alex O, Blackky, Orits Wiliki etc..

4 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by obibanks: 7:19am On May 26, 2013
I'm telling U̶̲̥̅̊, if U̶̲̥̅̊ no play dis song Fø̲̣̣я̅ Ɣ☺ΰя birthday then, U̶̲̥̅̊ haven't started. This song then was song was party essential + Ɣ☺ΰя oxford cabin I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ hand. Hw time flies, I miss those days

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by obibanks: 7:19am On May 26, 2013
I'm telling U̶̲̥̅̊, if U̶̲̥̅̊ no play dis song Fø̲̣̣я̅ Ɣ☺ΰя birthday then, U̶̲̥̅̊ haven't started. This song then was party essential + Ɣ☺ΰя oxford cabin I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ hand. Hw time flies, I miss those days
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Nobody: 7:20am On May 26, 2013
Reggae with fake hair grin grin grin grin lmao
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Akshow: 7:20am On May 26, 2013
Safe to say she 'putted' Naija female artist on the music map. I remember mining and dancing to her music every speech and prize giving day in primary school.
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by 4peace(m): 7:21am On May 26, 2013
careytommy: why is she alone without her family in faraway paris and what exactly is she doing there?
whoever knows her should please tell her to come home as things are gradually working out now. she could be hired as a mentor to young artistes in the numerous talents shows that are presently saturating the entertainment industry.

Today, she is settled in Paris, France with her family. She is living on a low-key but her many fans (like this writer) still eagerly await her homecoming. Who says she cannot make a massive comeback? You don forget Pa Fatai Rolling Dollar ni? Well, I am very hopeful we'll be seeing her concerts soon, very soon. Afterall, one of her songs has a reassuring title: There Is No Place Like Home.
According to the article
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Akshow: 7:24am On May 26, 2013
careytommy:
abeg lie small small. when was nepa ever without issues and naija didnt have issues.
common shut up. Them de talk children of 80s and 90s de talk. There was once a time Nepa was not an issue at all.

7 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by jannicus: 7:25am On May 26, 2013
The golden music era. . . . .
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by tubolancer(m): 7:26am On May 26, 2013
I like her music,i remember that isoko song- wanzo wanya kobaro did i get it right?
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by Maxymilliano(m): 7:26am On May 26, 2013
We travel to Umunede, we go speak Isoko,
We travel to Borno, say na Fulfulde,
We travel to Ughelli, dem go speak Urhobo,
We travel to Buguma, say na Kalabari,
We travel to Kaduna, dem go speak Hausa,
We travel to Okene, dem go speak Ebira,
We travel to Abbi, dem go speak Kwale,
Ogomola, dem go speak Okrika,

We travel to Sokoto, dem go speak Fulani,
We go to Benin City, dem go speak Edo,
We travel to Onitsha, dem go speak Igbo,
We travel to Asaba-Asa, den Bendel we go,
We travel to Gboko, dem say na Tiv,
We travel to Otukpa, dem go speak Idoma,
We travel to Akure, dem go speak Yoruba,
We travel to Ase, dem go speak Aboh,
We travel to Uyo, na Ibibio,

We travel, we travel, we travel travel travel…
All I'm saying, Lingua franca…

We travel to Patani, dem go speak Izon,
We travel to Vom, dem go speak Berom,
We travel to Ekpoma, dem go speak Esan,
We travel to Auchi, dem go speak Etsako,
We travel to idah, dem go speak Igala,
We travel to Bida, dem go speak Nupe,
We travel to Ogbakiri, dem go speak Ikwere

Lyrics penned by Evi Edna-Ogholi...

9 Likes

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by AMvanquish: 7:31am On May 26, 2013
careytommy:

Whatever d case! It was way better back den!

1 Like

Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by sexiestharam(f): 7:36am On May 26, 2013
Isoko in edo state? You've got to be kidding me. The isoko people are mostly from Delta state, and few from Bayelsa state. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Evi-Edna Ogholi, Nigeria's Queen Of Reggae by igbeke: 7:38am On May 26, 2013
permit me to say dos were d last generation of gud music. unlike what we hav now.
musicians dat can't even play d least musical instrument.
SMH

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chaz B Of Rhytm FM Is Dead / Ikebe Dance Competition At Phyno Fest Enugu 2017: Watch As Ladies Twerk (Video) / Burna Boy Wins BET Best International Act 2020 (Full List Of Winners)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.