Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,580 members, 7,801,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise (19640 Views)

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise / My Boss Nags Each Time Its Time To Pay Salary. Please Advise Me. / Please Advise. We Were Told To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
Honestly, I don't like what some nairalanders are voicing here. You act like you want to live his life for him................. His heart is inclined to go for pet eng. Follow your heart my friend. Depends on what you want. You just have to prepare your mind for the challenges and take decisive action. If you are to go for pet eng, scrutinize your circumstances to see if you have the wherewithal to take on such a challenge. Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by touchmehard: 3:35pm On Jun 05, 2013
[size=14pt]I've been in this kind of situation before, working where I'm well paid and all that, yet i didn't like what I was doing and the job satisfaction was less than 20%. Since you are still young, I will advise you to follow your heart, but make sure you use your head while following your heart. Instead of starting allover again, you may build up on something similar to healthcare delivery, like someone suggested, in Sports, physiotherapy, health administration or health insurance.
But if you are totally not interested in anything healthcare related, just go for what you really want. You are too young to have an unfulfilled career life. It could cause depression for you.
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by ozodigboo(m): 3:42pm On Jun 05, 2013
imsu.boi:
Dude, after suffering for 6years? Writing MBBS' exams? You've become a doctor and you wnt to quit?

I think you need to visit Yaba Left(Lagos) or Rumigbo (PH).

[My opinion though]
Its also my opinion.
He is not quitting because of the money, and yet he wants Petroleum Engr.
Does he think staying offshore for several months on end is easy ?
Abeg na the money joor.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jun 05, 2013
@op i tink u shuld follow ur dreams and passion..i have a cousin who read Dentistry, nd specialized in Oral & Maxilofacial Surgery,he was a Maxilofacial surgeon @ age of 31 ..he was the best in his class...he always had passion for stage performance.he eventually did a diploma in a music school in Uk..follow ur heart bro
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2013
I'll advise you to follow your heart, Job satisfaction is very important. Money isn't everything, but be prepared to live with the consequences if u find out that you're not still satisfied with Pet eng.

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Policewoman(f): 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2013
annoymous: I'm a 25 yr old medical doctor who recently concluded the compulsory one year NYSC. I am not particularly happy with medicine and I think I only became a doctor due to family/environmental pressure. I have a fairly nicely paying job so it ain't about the pay.

I'm going for a Masters in Public Health this fall in a highly reputed university and am now thinking of starting over. write the SAT, and go back for a first degree in petroleum engineering.

I want a job I'll be happy doing for the rest of my life. better late than never, I guess. what are your thoughts? thanks a mil
I don't think it's a wise decision going for the engineering after all the years you put in Medical school. Think about it and also discuss with your parents if possible.

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by bigass(f): 3:54pm On Jun 05, 2013
Why did it make it to the front page? People change profession everyday. How many pple are really practicing their profession? You can become anything just do certification courses.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by numericalguy(m): 3:58pm On Jun 05, 2013
The grass always looks greener on the other side.
I was once like you, got my first job in a multinational 3 months after NYSC as an electrical engineer when I was barely 26, pay was good, but I just wasn't happy after a while. I grew tired of doing routine stuff, I wanted excitement so I left after 2 years... To cut the long story short, I have worked in 2 other companies, but they are basically the same thing. Some of the things we see in movies or read in novels are not real.

My sister is a Medical Doctor, its not easy qualifying as a Doctor. You would have invested a lot of time, money and sufferings to get that degree. So please forget any idea that you can pick up another first degree in petroleum engineering, besides who is going to fund it, you are getting older, in a few years from now your classmates will start getting married and having babies.. what will you then be doing?

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by OmerianConsult: 3:58pm On Jun 05, 2013
OP l'm in your shoes, only that l was admitted for microbiology though l applied for medicine. l'm really made for maths-based (Cmp. Sci. or Eng.) career. l have since taken some radical decisions and God is guiding me along. The head of MTN Enterprise Data Warehouse was once a doctor and you could also google Anderson Uvie-Emeigbo. Your rigorous training as a doctor has given u all u need to suceed cheaply in Eng. Get a source of income while on it, though. And, em, what informs ur choice of Pet. Eng?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by OmerianConsult: 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2013
OP l'm in your shoes, only that l was admitted for microbiology though l applied for medicine. l'm really made for maths-based (Cmp. Sci. or Eng.) career. l have since taken some radical decisions and God is guiding me along. The head of MTN Enterprise Data Warehouse was once a doctor and you could also google Anderson Uvie-Emeigbo. Your rigorous training as a doctor has given u all u need to suceed cheaply in Eng. Get a source of income while on it, though. And, em, what informs ur choice of Pet. Eng?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by dayokanu(m): 4:12pm On Jun 05, 2013
OP,

Have you tried to write the USMLE and get into residency?

I am thinking of the years and finances you have invested into this medicine and not just throw it away.

If you ar in the US, Medicine can be a very financial rewarding field.

You can google annual salary of doctors maybe that would motivate you
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Picomon(m): 4:20pm On Jun 05, 2013
@OP Mr man, do you love n are you passionate about medicine? If NO, and if truly you choose to study medicine due to your parent pressure and all that, man you bleeped up!!

Why would your parent decide for you? Why live on people's expectations? If things didn't move well, only you will be left to decide for yourself and only you will face the probs. Doubt if your parent will share the probs with you.

It's your world and I think you should know yourself better than anyone else. And what you truly want to become in life.

If truly you don’t cherish or not passionate about the course, it's not too late to start over. Bleep what people will say, it’s your life.

BTW: Parents should please stop pushing their kids to where they don't want to go. Let em decide for themselves. If yo kid wanna become a carpenter, support him or her.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by yuzedo: 4:25pm On Jun 05, 2013
[size=18pt]LEAVE![/size]

I've never understood why people study Medicine to be honest, save for the "prestige" of answering "doctor, doctor", and i notice that most parents actually are responsible for this trend, forcing kids to read this course just to live their dreams through these children or prove a point to friends and relatives perhaps, that they have good genes as demonstrated by the intelligent children they birthed? Honestly? I don't think the rewards are worth the hassle.

My nigga, if you you aren't up to it, abeg change career! No go give person pikin 1000mg of Kilamycin for natin! undecided

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 05, 2013
dayokanu: OP,

Have you tried to write the USMLE and get into residency?

I am thinking of the years and finances you have invested into this medicine and not just throw it away.

If you ar in the US, Medicine can be a very financial rewarding field.

You can google annual salary of doctors maybe that would motivate you

I thought he said it wasnt about the pay,i think he should follow his heart..Not everyone is cut out for doctors job..I know a guy who got distinction in physiology and biochemistry in his 2nd MBBS exam,started clinicals but stopped after smelling dettols and izals and seeing lots of sick people in the clinics.He just decided medicine wasnt for him.
He switched over to physics and started from 2nd year.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 05, 2013
If you are planning to stay in nigeria please go for pet and gas but if you wanna leave stick to medicine, medical doctors are rich in the usa.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by AjanleKoko: 4:26pm On Jun 05, 2013
annoymous: I'm a 25 yr old medical doctor who recently concluded the compulsory one year NYSC. I am not particularly happy with medicine and I think I only became a doctor due to family/environmental pressure. I have a fairly nicely paying job so it ain't about the pay.

I'm going for a Masters in Public Health this fall in a highly reputed university and am now thinking of starting over. write the SAT, and go back for a first degree in petroleum engineering.

I want a job I'll be happy doing for the rest of my life. better late than never, I guess. what are your thoughts? thanks a mil

Hmm.
I can understand leaving medicine, but . . . petroleum engineering? Is it a choice made out of desire and personal interest, or you simply want to get into oyel company for the big bucks?

I'll wait for your response before I volunteer anything further.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by tpia5: 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2013
bigass: Why did it make it to the front page? People change profession everyday. How many pple are really practicing their profession? You can become anything just do certification courses.

eod.

not sure why the matter is being tabled before nl.

are his parents here?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by biolabee(m): 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2013
tpia@:

just curious- what's he spending his money on?

side dishes cheesy

@OP which country are you in
I know healthcare is a big time in the West and with Medicaid and all the health programs whereby doctors will be self supporting units responsible for health care n billing
you may be leaving a gold mine
Look for medical forums

Do your MSC in occupational hygiene or MPH etc
also explore options of doing the USMLE or MCA exams by the side as Medicine is tstill relevant anyday anytime
Oncology is still a field that is relevant for the next thirty years
So is fertily medicine especially if you want to come back to naija
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Naijamericana: 4:32pm On Jun 05, 2013

What's your medical specialty?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by tpia5: 4:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
he cant have a specialty yet since he just completed nysc, he says.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by gabinogem(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2013
Do what thou wilt...
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by ADEBOSUN(m): 4:34pm On Jun 05, 2013
@Op: I doubt if Anybody can give you the answers you're looking for!
The decision has to be yours, you have to be 100% convinced about it.
However, I was once in your shoes and didn't want to have anything whatsoever to do with my field after school. Looking back now, I realised what happened to me was that I had been grinding it for so long......with engineering wahala and sleepless nights, I forgot what it was all about, I wasn't happy anymore. And even though I finished with very good grades, I didn't want anymore of it.
But after a while, I dug deep discovered a passion for my field. Now I'm far gone from that feeling of dissatisfaction, sometimes I wonder why I ever wanted to leave.
That's my story, doesn't have to be yours though! Go ahead and do some soul searching, when you're done, be sure you've made the right decision!
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Egbagirl(f): 4:38pm On Jun 05, 2013
I don't think the money is the issue here but his passion for/interest in his job. Mr OP, follow your heart. If you want to go into petroleum engineering, pls do so. It's your happiness that matters. You know what you want and what will make you happy. DO IT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by fubbyy(m): 4:44pm On Jun 05, 2013

first of all, I'm happy for you for having the courage to follow your heart but before I give you the credit I have to blame you first

How can you spend years learning what you don't wanna do? Spending your parents money and giving them a false hope of becoming a doc's parents,why did you accept your admission Letter?why didn't you follow your heart then or are you just realizing that now?

My father's biggest wish is to be a reverend father's dad,he sent me to seminary, the few months I spent there was war front,fighting almost everyday,breaking people's head and disturbing the peace of the school and he kept covering it up by paying for every damage I caused

When I realized that my trouble wasn't giving him enough reason to bring me out there,I woke up one morning and pack my bag and left,I came back home,he bundled me back to seminary, they advised him to let me follow my heart

Within me I know I was born to be in the entertainment industry,I told him my heart desire,he advised me to get a degree first which I obliged,I've now graduated(about to serve) now its time to do what I love doing,what I was born to do,what will make me feel fulfilled

So I advice you to live your dreams,follow your heart and do what makes you happy,life's too short to do other people's wish, your happiness should be your priority
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by fubbyy(m): 4:44pm On Jun 05, 2013

first of all, I'm happy for you for having the courage to follow your heart but before I give you the credit I have to blame you first

How can you spend years learning what you don't wanna do? Spending your parents money and giving them a false hope of becoming a doc's parents,why did you accept your admission Letter?why didn't you follow your heart then or are you just realizing that now?

My father's biggest wish is to be a reverend father's dad,he sent me to seminary, the few months I spent there was war front,fighting almost everyday,breaking people's head and disturbing the peace of the school and he kept covering it up by paying for every damage I caused

When I realized that my trouble wasn't giving him enough reason to bring me out there,I woke up one morning and pack my bag and left,I came back home,he bundled me back to seminary, they advised him to let me follow my heart

Within me I know I was born to be in the entertainment industry,I told him my heart desire,he advised me to get a degree first which I obliged,I've now graduated(about to serve) now its time to do what I love doing,what I was born to do,what will make me feel fulfilled

So I advice you to live your dreams,follow your heart and do what makes you happy,life's too short to do other people's wish, your happiness should be your priority

1 Like

Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Pink1: 4:50pm On Jun 05, 2013
yuzedo: [size=18pt]LEAVE![/size]

I've never understood why people study Medicine to be honest, save for the "prestige" of answering "doctor, doctor", and i notice that most parents actually are responsible for this trend, forcing kids to read this course just to live their dreams through these children or prove a point to friends and relatives perhaps, that they have good genes as demonstrated by the intelligent children they birthed? Honestly? I don't think the rewards are worth the hassle.

My nigga, if you you aren't up to it, abeg change career! No go give person pikin 1000mg of Kilamycin for natin! undecided

Damn I was so right! I knew behind the façade there was a sane soul.
@OP, I can relate to your inner struggles, my bf did medicine, wrote the first part of USMLE but his heart wasn't in medicine and he was tired of living the life folks expected of him. He went and got an M.Sc in Global health specializing in Health Economics works in an NGO. Never seen happier as he discusses proposals etc. He's working on starting his Phd in Policy sometin sometin lol but hope you get my drift. Why petroleum Eng? Is it cos of the pay or your passion for it? Hav you thought of biomedical engineering? It's a better alternative if you're not feelin the vibe of Pub health #mytwocents
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 05, 2013
@ Op
you can still work in an oil company a medical doctor. Intead of MPH, why not try Master in Occupational Health. My uncle is a medical doctor and that is what he did and he is with Shell.
There are very few occupational health physicians in Nigeria so the prospect is fine. Problem is you may need to study overseas as am not sure if any uni in Nigerian offers the course. Even few unis here in the UK offer it so do ur investigation.

My younger proble has same problem as you. Parents wanted him to study Medicine (they wanted him to study what they will be proud of instead of what he wants). But in the end, i advised him not to compromise, and now he is doing Petroleum Engineering.

Am sure you have learned from this... so from now, be your own man, trust God and pursue your heart, and not the wishes of others - even your parents.
never take slaugher your dreams on the whims of others. you will end up being responsible for the decision of others and you will not like it.
Also - a word of advise, just believe that you will be great irrespective of course or institution.
All the best for the future.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 05, 2013
If you're sure that's what you want, just ensure your academic fuel tank is enough to get you to graduate summa cum laude. If not, its a waste of effort!
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by stevecantrell: 4:52pm On Jun 05, 2013
Lagusta: hmmmmm......

i'll sincerely advice u go for the MPH and venture into health insurance....

what if u do the pet enginn. and things become worse?

plss dont think about the money ooo, not all oil geeks are rich ooo, my elder bro had a neighbour once that worked in chevron, this guy is paid 750K a month, but this guy still lives from hand to mouth, after a week, money don finish, no savings, borow money to fuel his car, etc.......

there are alot of ways to have a fulfilled life as a doctor without going to the clinic or theatre..... and if its money, there are alot of opportunities meeehn, if u know your way!!!!!

@Lagusta
I agree witchya , many opportunities exist to make it as Med. Dr outside the confines of hospital wards if you're prepared to think outside the box, but I think my friend wants something completely different from that.

Have you seen some of the yearly salaries of these oil jobbers ? Above 20m per annum??
Unless he's prepared to leave the shores of this country and practice in the US he'll find it difficult to match that.

Anyway the guy you described making 750K must have been a gambler or womanizer or something. I think its still a decent salary any young dude can manage properly.
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by tpia5: 4:52pm On Jun 05, 2013
fubbyy: first of all, I'm happy for you for having the courage to follow your heart but before I give you the credit I have to blame you first

semi what?
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 05, 2013
I hold a Masters in public health and I don't understand the link between that and petroleum engineering . That is my greatest concern for you. There's a sizable amount of medical doctors who do not practice medicine (they branch off into epidemiology, public health policy, medical engineering etc; medicine itself is no stand alone field). Do expansive research and make informed choices, I heard somewhere "A goal is a dream with a date on it" tongue
Re: I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise by dplomaticVal: 4:56pm On Jun 05, 2013
I really see this as surfeit foolhardiness for you
to jst swiftly think of jettisoning ur enviable medical profession of which u've alrdy spent unquantifiable money, unlimited time and ineffable effort acquiring for sm unprecedented trivial
motives.

It's obviously lucid that u've bn indubitably enchanted, pls my candid advice to you is that you go 4 a powerful deliverance 2 decrypt that spirit of bemusement n greed which the devil has implanted in your life so that you'll come back 2 ur senses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What A Man Can Do A Woman Can Also Do (photos) / Meet Olayemi Samson, Nigerian Enterpreneur Making Fashion Out Of Trash / Should I resign or continue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.