Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,563 members, 7,801,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? (8211 Views)

Yoruba Village London Launch Gallery (video)!!!!! / Pictures From Soon To Be Yoruba Village In London!!! / YCE To Build Yoruba Village In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by odumchi: 12:11am On May 30, 2013
pleep: I dont know about what odumuchi said about igboland in particular.... but as for the eastern Nigeria i have seen, the village houses were extreeeeeeeeamly far apart.

Almost to a ridiculus degree.

I'm talking about traditional settlement patterns and not the modern-day villas that people erect at the outskirts of villages. What I said applies to my part of Igboland and not the entire East. Anyway, what part of Akwa Ibom are you from? I'm quite familiar with the Annang and Ikpanja areas.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by pleep(m): 12:29am On May 30, 2013
The general akwa-ibom cross-river area... i would say more, but i don't want to divulge my real identiy tongue
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:32am On May 30, 2013
I think you guyz are diverting from the issue. I feel the OP wanted to know how Traditional Yoruba houses are supposed to look like. In ideal conditions, They are usually supposed to be these very long mud-brick/mud houses (to hold extended families) and with pointed roofs covered with thatch work. the front side near the doors usually have pillars carved with Yoruba Gods/Goddesses.

check out this thread aswell. its helpful:

https://www.nairaland.com/770881/art-architecture-yorubaland/3
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by odumchi: 1:02am On May 30, 2013
pleep: The general akwa-ibom cross-river area... i would say more, but i don't want to divulge my real identiy tongue

Lol. I've seen you say several times that you're Annang, so that pretty much narrows it down. I've been to Ikpe and I've also been to Ikot Ekpene. Seeing these places, I've noticed that, unlike those of my people, the houses of the Ibibio and Annang aren't built close together. Rather, their settlement patterns consist of widely-spaced anwa essien (compounds) separated by forest. The East is a big place.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Nobody: 11:26pm On May 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of course in every city there are modern areas and ancient areas but the ancient in Ibadan seems more pronounced than the modern.

I agree with you that the medieval feel of Ibadan has to be preserved just like it is in europe. It can be used as a tourist destination.However there has to be a meeting between the old and the new.
I stay in ibadan. Those house you call medieval houses are family houses, people's heritage from their forefathers.

2 Likes

Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:33pm On May 31, 2013
honey86:
I stay in ibadan. Those house you call medieval houses are family houses, people's heritage from their forefathers.

I know what you mean. Even when I go to my village, I feel a sense of attachment to my ancestral home. those homes are your personal refuge and its crazy to destroy them. .
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:34pm On May 31, 2013
Ibadan then & now. .

these rooftop houses look way better than those ugly concrete buildings. tongue
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:35pm On May 31, 2013
I have noticed that Yorubas are more like city-dwellers, compared to other tribes. They certainly had the most advanced civilization , religion, etc., in pre-colonial Nigeria.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Afam4eva(m): 11:36pm On May 31, 2013
honey86:
I can't remember ever disputing that. Does that change the fact that they are antiquated houses?

1 Like

Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Afam4eva(m): 11:38pm On May 31, 2013
Those houses that PAGAN NAIJA posted are the kind of houses I was talking about. Now if you look far down, you'll see some modern houses but they're highly outnumbered by the medieval structures. But there are still some modern houses in other parts of Ibadan.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 31, 2013
How do people breathe in that congestion
The air there must be funky
One person gets an airborne disease,it spreads like wild fire
Looks like the favelas of Rio de Janeiro
Tua!
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Afam4eva(m): 11:43pm On May 31, 2013
babyosisi: How do people breathe in that congestion
The air there must be funky
Looks like the favelas of Rio de Janeiro
I'll rather go to the forest outside the town and live than live there. I'm very particular about fresh air that i'm even beginning to hate big cities except cities that were built with serenity in mind.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'll rather go to the forest outside the town and live than live there. I'm very particular about fresh air that i'm even beginning to hate big cities except cities that were built with serenity in mind.

The pictures of the rural towns Okija juju posted in his road trip are a million times better than living in that congested slum
Tua
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:47pm On May 31, 2013
The houses are beautiful. Its just that they have been built in a congested manner.

but actually the roof covers what goes on underneath. There is air circulation below the roofs, in the narrow alleys. Its just like an illusion.

btw this is a slum:

[img]http://lebbeuswoods.files./2008/01/slum-mumbai1a.jpg[/img]
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Afam4eva(m): 11:52pm On May 31, 2013
babyosisi:

The pictures of the rural towns Okija juju posted in his road trip are a million times better than living in that congested slum
Tua
Of course, Villages are more livable than cities let alone a congested city. If not for the kidnapping and other vices happening in villages, I would have backed my bags and baggages and head for a rural setting. As long as I have electricity and internet connection, I am ok.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 31, 2013
These are pictures Okija posted from Ekwulobia ,a rural town in Anambra state
I would rather live there with fresh air

Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:57pm On May 31, 2013
^This is a town. Ibadan is a city.

there is a difference. I am sure Yorubaland has its fair share of such rural towns.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Afam4eva(m): 12:08am On Jun 01, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
^This is a town. Ibadan is a city.

there is a difference. I am sure Yorubaland has its fair share of such rural towns.

Yoruba towns are just less crowded version of medieval Ibadan. It's similar to what I saw in Kabba, Kogi state. Even though Kabba had less people, it was still the same structure. Most parts of Yoruba land even the villages look semi-urban.
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 04, 2013
Educative and interesting thread till someone tried to mess it up, you know urself
Re: What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? by AmuDimpka: 6:59am On Nov 29, 2019
Ikengawo:
thanks Afam.
Like I said i've never been, it seem to me that Yorubas like living in closer proximity to their nieghbors than igbos (or prehaps this is a result of larger families/polygamy?).

Even in the cities, Abeokuta, Ibadan and so forth fit a lot of houses and people into a small compact area, where as igbo cities are more delineated and spaced out, even very populous ones like Onitsha and Aba aren't as compact as Abeokuta and/or Ibadan. I think that's an interesting cultural difference.

It is fear factor

(1) (2) (Reply)

ICSN Iri Ji (new Yam) Festival 2014 / The Great Benin Empire / Nri Kingdom (Igbo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.