Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost (12068 Views)

Buhari Explains Why He Missed A Meeting On Boko Haram At The UN / Jonathan Vows To Arrest And Deal With Those Behind ING / 2015: Jonathan Vows To Crack Down On Troublemakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by awodman: 6:44pm On May 26, 2013
No matter the cost, the excesses of extremist group, Boko Haram, must stop, President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed in a new resolve that comes two weeks into a broad military campaign to root out the militants in three northeast states.

“The excesses of Boko Haram must stop. That is the decision of this present government now. It must stop, whatever it will cost the government, it must stop,” Mr. Jonathan said in an interview with journalists on the sideline of the 21st ordinary session of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the Africa Union holding in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

The president said his administration would not fold its arms and watch the violent Islamic group continue to kill innocent citizens.

The President who noted that terrorism was a global problem with the United States and United Kingdom and other countries having their shares, said his administration was working to ensure it is contained with immediate, medium and long term strategies.

Mr. Jonathan said under the short term, military intervention was compulsory since a lot of weapons found their ways into the country because of the Libya crisis and it was important for the weapons to be mopped up.

“For the short term, of course, there must be military intervention, we must beef up security, we must change the security architecture to make sure that we detect that something is about to happen before it happens so that we will be able to stop it,” he said.

“We have stopped a number of incidents in the country. It is just that the few that happened affect life and whenever life is affected, you will not even think that somebody is doing anything.”

The president said the need to “go all out to make sure that we seize these weapons” informed the recent declaration of emergency rule in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. “We must comb the whole place to seize all these weapons and so on.”

“A lot of free weapons come in because of the Libya crisis. We must seize them. They are illegal weapons and must be seized and you cannot do that without declaring a state of emergency to enable the military enter any house, whether it is a residential building, it is a church, a mosque, a shrine, anywhere, hotel, anything that we suspect. We will be able to enter and seize these weapons.

He said in the medium term, the government will concentrate more on education as the part of the country where there is prevalence of Boko Haram activities has the highest rate of school dropout.

As part of that plan, the federal government will intervene to improve education in those areas although the Constitution puts the issue of basic education under the watch of state and local governments.

He enumerated creating economic environment as another approach adopted by government, so that individuals would be able to fend for themselves.

“We are doing that in terms of our own agriculture programme. We are doing that in what we call community services, local roads, renovation of health centres, primary schools and so on. A number of men and women are involved; road rehabilitation, clearing of roads and so on.

“So, we are also encouraging young people to be on their own through YouWin. The fairly enlightened ones who think they have some businesses to do will submit a proposal to a neutral body and if they select you, we give you grant, not loan. That alone is helping.

“The idea is that if you can set up micro and small businesses, that if one youth that benefit can employ five others that means by the time you give to 1000 and something to multiply by five on the average and the results are quite promising. And we are doing robustly in agriculture.

“That is why we are encouraging more of irrigation because like in the northern part of the country, where you have vast land for farming, incidentally it is savannah area where water is not that common compared to the south. So, we must irrigate to provide water and have farm settlements.

“Because some of the interviews they get from people who have been involved and were arrested, they didn’t even know. They just tell them stories and they are just carried away. Coupled with the fact that some of them are sub adults and they don’t have means of survival and their parents themselves cannot take care of them. So, they become very susceptible to mischievous characters who can just provide them little food and use them to kill people.”

The President also said the threat posed by the Islamic sect to the country and the sub region could be more devastating if the government had not moved fast.

He said Nigeria was becoming difficult for the militants to operate, as some of the sect members recently moved into Niger Republic with suicide attacks in two places simultaneously leading to the death of about 20 Nigerien soldiers.

“Niger Republic had been relatively calm although they have been noticing the movement because it is a general area from Mali, Niger, Chad to Nigeria, but because Nigeria is fairly big, we now said ‘no, this must stop,’ Mr. Jonathan said.

“They are now moving, Central Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa is not also safe. Even in Ethiopia here, there were a lot of terrorist activities before but it is now coming down. Same with Somalia. So, it is only southern Africa that is relatively peaceful in terms of terror.

“It is a serious business. That it why all presidents and heads of government on this continent must come together to fight, otherwise, they will create more problems especially for countries that cannot contain them.

“Luckily, Nigeria is fairly rugged, fairly robust. So, we can confront it and we are confronting it now because we can no longer watch people being killed and it must stop.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/136224-jonathan-vows-to-stop-boko-haram-at-all-cost.html

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by confusion247(m): 7:04pm On May 26, 2013
Is amnesty for murderers part of the strategy to stop boko haram?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by PointB: 7:08pm On May 26, 2013
At all cost then, and no matter what and how long it takes Mr President!

Nigerians are solidly behind you as you wage relentless war on terror, as every self respecting leader must! We shall not succumb to terrorism!! RIDE ON!!!

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by PointB: 7:15pm On May 26, 2013
confusion247: Is amnesty for murderers part of the strategy to stop boko haram?

Amnesty for terrorist of course is dead on arrival, internment of amnesty is currently going on with the SOE. In this new phase we are talking about 'War on Terror!'

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Toktee(m): 8:34pm On May 26, 2013
Hahaha! I always said i don't like jonathan cos he is always taken wrong decissions.
Is going all out to get their weapons the solution to the problems or blocking their source and fishing out the known bokos in hiz government that is the solution;jonathan know those who are behind these problems,fish them out or forever remain silence.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by frodobee: 9:02pm On May 26, 2013
I couldnt read all of it. Some1 pls help us with bullet points. I can see too much grammar little action. I want action and more action and less grammar.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by MrAboki: 10:04am On May 27, 2013
I believe..

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Reddick: 10:08am On May 27, 2013
No mercy for BASTARDZZZZ..crush them all.....

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Nobody: 10:08am On May 27, 2013
I hear u oh oga presido
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by wumsgreen(f): 10:09am On May 27, 2013
Kill dem. All oga jonathan.pikin way. Say hiM mama no GƠ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ sleep him self no GƠ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ sleep

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by homesteady(m): 10:11am On May 27, 2013
GEJ has spoken
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by ZACHIE: 10:11am On May 27, 2013
Short term solution ==== military intervention
long term solution======= education, poverty eradication.
Nice.
But what kinda of education? Any Education that places `book knowledge` above recitation of Arabic words.
(We must accept that that too is education)
Hausaland as presently constituted is not ready for that because their leaders cannot dare the status quo.
The easiest inroad to politics in the North is the paved on the high street of Religion.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by jmoore(m): 10:13am On May 27, 2013
Give me jet fighter, I will fight for free.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by kamelonaire(m): 10:14am On May 27, 2013
[quote author=Toktee]Hahaha! I always said i don't like jonathan cos he is always taken wrong decissions.
Is going all out to get their weapons the solution to the problems or blocking their source and fishing out the known bokos in hiz government that is the solution;jonathan know those who are behind these problems,fish them out or forever remain silence. [/quote
Gud new frm Mr president, I think mr president know all b boko haram member please and please mr president IF U CAN JOIN THEM, I THINK U SHOULD HELP UR PEOPLE
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Nobody: 10:15am On May 27, 2013
Jona has vowed, so we know he is running out of steam
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by legendarysegzi(m): 10:17am On May 27, 2013
??

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by venatus25(m): 10:18am On May 27, 2013
ok na
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Nobody: 10:19am On May 27, 2013
....and amaechi too
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Nobody: 10:22am On May 27, 2013
kill them all.
you have my support,nobody is bigger than a country. the nuisance group has to pay for their atrocities.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Opey4luv(m): 10:23am On May 27, 2013
Use Adolf's Method. One man One Bullet. Kill them all.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Baawaa(m): 10:25am On May 27, 2013
No matter the cost, the excesses of extremist group, Boko Haram, must stop, President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed in a new resolve that comes two weeks into a broad military campaign to root out the militants in three northeast states.
This GEJ is a comedian,you don't vows to stop militants,kidnappers,corruption etc.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Maxymilliano(m): 10:25am On May 27, 2013
The President seems to be at home discussing on the 'sideline'. grin

He had similar discussion with Ban Ki Moon on same sideline as reported by the media.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Capnd143(m): 10:35am On May 27, 2013
GEJ IS RIght! NIgeria is Fairly Rugged and Robust military wise and is totaly imposible to be overan by boko islamist! I pity the likes of Niger and cameroun who have refused to close and hid their own part of the deal, if boko cowards reinforces in cameroun and niger to strike either niger or cameroun,honestly speaking it wont take long before the country turns to another Mali! And the Us is also to blame 4 arming libyan rebels and having a hand in the political bruhaha. It is evident that if nigeria were to be overun by islamist like mali, then the Whole of west africa is "History". I rest my case, your Lordship

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by delikay4luv: 10:36am On May 27, 2013
frodobee: I couldnt read all of it. Some1 pls help us with bullet points.
na Bomb. no b only bullet

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by scientology(m): 10:39am On May 27, 2013
As in extend amnesty to even the ones in hell?
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by Nobody: 10:46am On May 27, 2013
Yea right, Mr Mynamehasbroughtnothingbutgoodluck.
Let's watch you take your baby down.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by kamelonaire(m): 10:47am On May 27, 2013
delikay4luv: na Bomb. no b only bullet
They used sharia law dat is not welcome bu islamic
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by kamelonaire(m): 10:47am On May 27, 2013
delikay4luv: na Bomb. no b only bullet
They used sharia law
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by visalo: 10:47am On May 27, 2013
Kill the bastard...you have my support. Buhari and Tinubu can`t stop the killing of this bastard. they have already fail.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by visalo: 10:50am On May 27, 2013
to all boko haram sympathizer. APC, Tinubu and Buhari. it is all over for you. Kudos presido
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by tiwasiaife(m): 10:53am On May 27, 2013
Toktee: Hahaha! I always said i don't like jonathan cos he is always taken wrong decissions.
Is going all out to get their weapons the solution to the problems or blocking their source and fishing out the known bokos in hiz government that is the solution;jonathan know those who are behind these problems,fish them out or forever remain silence.
ur APC MAN.
Re: Jonathan Vows To Stop Boko-Haram At All Cost by kamelonaire(m): 10:55am On May 27, 2013
venatus25: ok na
WHO IS IN DIS PICTURE, IT IS ONE OF BOKO HARAM MEMBER

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kidnaps 8 Girls (Between 11 & 14 Years Old) In Cameroon / Manufacturers Sack 3,567 Workers, Unsold Goods Hit ₦‎272 Billion – MAN / BON/NEDG Vice-Presidential Debate: Official Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.