Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,996 members, 7,799,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? (1633 Views)

Photos of Pastor Benny Hinn and Wife Renewing Thier Wedding Vows. / Why Do Women Dress Indecently To Church Nowadays / Why Don't Women Cover Their Heads In Church Anymore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by HC: 1:27pm On Apr 28, 2008
I have noticed for a long time that women ususally cover thier head in church and during prayers. Why do women cover thier head?
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by elizabetta(f): 2:24pm On Apr 28, 2008
women cover their head in the church because the bible tells us that are Christians to do so in the book of 1cor11:5-16.And also 1Tim2:9 tells us as women the manner we should adorn ourselves.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by huxley(m): 4:13pm On Apr 28, 2008
Here is scriptures for you, 1 Timothy;

2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Which of these do christian women today observe?
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by MCUsman(m): 5:36pm On Apr 28, 2008
huxley:

NONE.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 7:49pm On Apr 28, 2008
2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
2:15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
Apart from the silencing and giving women a lesser personhood status, by the Bible, which Q/u/r'an does not subscribe to, considering that in worship of God man and woman is giving equal personal responsibility.

But what is so interesting is that as in above Biblical verses, we see that women are tagged in a way that it demeans our mothers, whose womb is blessed. Is/l/am does not put the fault of approaching of the tree in Paradise squarely omn Eve, and absorbing Adam of any fault. And Is//l/am does not curse women with any form of curse because of it.

If we consider safety from curse by childbearing, etc, it will seem as if God did not complete man/woman, until this important tragic event in their lives. We know thats not true.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Lady2(f): 7:59pm On Apr 28, 2008
NONE.

You gave this answer because you know ALL christian women, right?
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Tattooboy: 8:45pm On Apr 28, 2008
@lady
do u cover ur head?

@elizabeth
its not only where u're in church but every where, do u also cover ur head?

@topic
Females who covers their head respect God and fears him as well, so marry a wife who also covers her head. wink
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Dreloaded(f): 8:50pm On Apr 28, 2008
Tattooboy:

@elizabeth
its not only where u're in church but every where, do u also cover your head?

only where prayers are presented. Everywhere is, we are not obliged to sow aht are you talking about?
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by elizabetta(f): 1:27pm On Apr 29, 2008
D-reloaded:

only where prayers are presented. Everywhere is, we are not obliged to sow aht are you talking about?

Thanks for correcting him ,i don't think he reads the bible.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 5:40pm On Apr 29, 2008
Ladies, did Jesus mother exposed her head and neck? I know that did not happen. Jesus would have somewhat encouraged her against exposing her hair, head neck.

I was telling a woman the other day that hair, neck, etc are beauty acutremens of womanhood. We see that even hair texture and fullness of hair along with longness are part of how women describe their beautiy. We hear the term long neck, or swann neck. These are parts of the assets that make a man want a woman. And another woman wants to be like her.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Lady2(f): 6:12pm On Apr 29, 2008
Olabowale and MC Usman
This is what the Bible said about the head being covered.

Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved.

It speaks of when the woman prays or prophecies, not when she's walking down the street.

Ladies, did Jesus mother exposed her head and neck? I know that did not happen. Jesus would have somewhat encouraged her against exposing her hair, head neck.

I was telling a woman the other day that hair, neck, etc are beauty acutremens of womanhood. We see that even hair texture and fullness of hair along with longness are part of how women describe their beautiy. We hear the term long neck, or swann neck. These are parts of the assets that make a man want a woman. And another woman wants to be like her.

Jesus' mother resided in the Middle east, the norm in the middle east (in that age) is that the women have their head covered. In Africa it was not the norm that the women have their head covered. It is not their culture. Besided it tells us that when we pray we should have our head covered. It also says that when men pray their head should not be covered.

So Olabowale, why do the muslim men cover their head when they pray? It is disrespectful to God.

Apart from the silencing and giving women a lesser personhood status, by the Bible, which Q/u/r'an does not subscribe to, considering that in worship of God man and woman is giving equal personal responsibility.

But what is so interesting is that as in above Biblical verses, we see that women are tagged in a way that it demeans our mothers, whose womb is blessed. Is/l/am does not put the fault of approaching of the tree in Paradise squarely omn Eve, and absorbing Adam of any fault. And Is//l/am does not curse women with any form of curse because of it.

If we consider safety from curse by childbearing, etc, it will seem as if God did not complete man/woman, until this important tragic event in their lives. We know thats not true.

Funny, MC Usman disagreed with this when he chose to answer "NONE" to the question by huxley.
You cannot tell me this and then post what you posted above. If women have freedom in Is'lam andIs'lam does not view them as those that should be silenced, why can't they choose to have their head uncovered in the heat? Why are they subjected to the back in the mosque during prayer. Why are they viewed as distractions for men.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Dreloaded(f): 6:18pm On Apr 29, 2008
olabowale:

why dont you go and ask her?

and now you're making up stuff on what He "might have said", Care to show me where is written for Christian women to cover their heads a, necks and blah blah if not for where prayers are being adminstered?

Evidence would be appreciated, not what you THINK He would have wanted.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 8:24pm On Apr 29, 2008
@D-reloaded:I was just going todo some research about your request aboutproviding evidence about Mariam, Jesus mother, about head covering. But take a look at what ~lady~ had written from her observation, as quoted below. First, we have to agree that Mary never had her head uncovered. According to the Christians, they did not write everything that Jesus said. So we do not know whether he did not command against uncovering of woman's head. But the Jewish women here in Borough Park, Brookyn NY cover, all the time. Even when they are in the presence of guests in their homes. I aught to know. Some Rabbis and other observing Jews are friends. You can read their Mishnash and Talmut, to know how their women behave, regarding head coverings.

@~lady~:
Jesus' mother resided in the Middle east, the norm in the middle east (in that age) is that the women have their head covered. In Africa it was not the norm that the women have their head covered. It is not their culture. Besided it tells us that when we pray we should have our head covered. It also says that when men pray their head should not be covered.
It is not an I/s/lamic rule and law that man must cover his head, in prayer or out of it. M/u/ha/mmad (as) prayed without head covering. I pray or go about the place without head covering. But sometimes I put on a shawl, a Cap or a Kafayah. Muslim woman does not have to cover in her own home if there is no stranger or guest around, either.

Your excuse about the mother of Jesus, if correct, and only for that time, could be used for everything in the Bible, in order to nullify each and everyone of it. The truth is that you will agree that whatever the reason hair is a sensual element about the woman today, was just in some respect the same about woman then. But religion is supposed to have its own unique culture. I do know that I/s/l/am has its own culture. Although is more arabic than other cultures, but it is not exclusively arabic. And not all arabic culture is I/s/l/amic.

I am very confident that part of the beauty of woman, as you will agree has to do with her hair, etc. I know men who will marry a woman only because of that. Thats their own twist of beauty and romance. Beauty and romance should not be dispalyed out there, thereby attaching less value and importance to either. I completely disagree with the issue of the africans not atuned to the middle east culture. As an african man, I know that what I will look at in african woman is the same that I would look at in middle eastern woman. Modesty. Piety and God consciousness.

What is the reason that women are commanded to cover their head to pray? It does also apply to women in Is//la/m. The reason is that humility before and obedience to God is required. The Angels hate to see the exposure of woman head.

So Olabowale, why do the a great one men cover their head when they pray? It is disrespectful to God.
First we must observe that we have the image of all middle eastern men, in the days of the prophets, choose any one of them to illustrate this point: the cover their heads, with turban, shawl, or cap. The Jews even have what we call Yahmakah. They wear it even today. Each prophet has full head of hair. Each prophet is unshavened. Each prophet cover all their bodies. None wore skimpy clothing or tight clothing, etc. Moses was reported to cover his body so much that the elders of his community thought that he had skin deseases.

Jesus was reported to have beard and long hair as well. And we saw impression of him even among the Christians that he wore shawl. Finally, just to amuse you, you are a Catholic Christian. What happened to the pope and his cap? What happened to the other leadership of this sect; the cardinals, the bishops, etc? What happened to the other orthodoxy; the Coptics in Egypt, the Greek orthodox, the Russian orthodox, etc?

Okay the Protestants: What about the archbishops of Canterbury and all these angligan leaderships? All of them wear some form of head coverings in their churches, ceremonial details nd prayer time!

Funny, MC Usman disagreed with this when he chose to answer "NONE" to the question by huxley.
You cannot tell me this and then post what you posted above. If women have freedom in Is'lam andIs'lam does not view them as those that should be silenced, why can't they choose to have their head uncovered in the heat? Why are they subjected to the back in the mosque during prayer. Why are they viewed as distractions for men.
I am not Mc Usman. And there is no one person alive today who knows everything in Is/la/m. What he knows I do not know. Mc Usman or me is not an authority in I/s/l/am.

Did my response at least serve as some possible answer for you? As indicated, if a woman chooses to go without head covering, she is carrying the responsibility of disobedience to A//ll/ah. In as long that she was reminded of her duty to the Most Powerful, the onous is on her. You live here in the USA. You must have seen women who observe the head covering. Ask her if she was forced. A true believing woman will gladly obey God's commandments. You have the commandment to cover the head in Surah Muminuu and Ahzab. Women are also asked to step on the floor softly, without shaking or exposing any part of the body that needed to be kept private.

Few years ago, a friend said that he was with his wife at the gas station. It was summer time and they were approached by a white couple to ask what was the wife's condition under the covering. The wife told the couple, addressing the woman that she schoise to cover, not because anyone forced her, but as a sign of her obedience.

Then she said that she was neither hot or uncomfortable in the summer. But in the winteralmost everyone is forced by just an eement, cold to conform to what believing women do willingly, hoping for their reward in A/llah.

One of my friends, Bilkis "Omolara" Badmus started wearing I/sl/amic covering here in Michigan, USA. She told me that she love it and will never leave it. May God A/llah Ta ala continue to make you bif and make your way easy, (Yaya; lol. Am sure Yumnah is now a big girl). Finally, Zainab Ndidi Ada became a mu/s/lim and adopted the coverin right away. No one forced her. From her name you will notice that she is an Igbo woman. May God A/ll/ah the Almighty continue to shower His mercy on you.

@D-reloaded: Again, I did not live in the time of Mariam umm Isa al Massiah. But I know that she was not a woman who was devoid of piety and humility to her Creator. I live at this time. You and me are governed by the same laws. I try hard be reserved. Thats amost contrary to my human desire. But the fact is that I try. What do you sincerely think is the position of Jesus on the subject? And by the way why do the African women wea head gears/ties to church?
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 9:42pm On Apr 29, 2008
@D-reloaded: Please note that Jesus did not touch up on head covering or uncovering for for neither man nor woman. Unfortumnately, the opinion of Paul or others, barring that of the Master Jesus himself (as) will not cut it with me. It should be taken with a grain of salt. But in the maintime, lookk at what Bible said compared to what Qu.r'a/n and hadith said on the same subject matter.

Woman's Status
In Bible & Qu/r'an

We're trying to compare the woman's status as seen in Christianity and Islam. The sources are mainly the Bible, Quran, and the teachings of Prophet Mohammed.

The Bible and the Qu/r'a/n agree: The First Woman / Eve

Christianity (Bible: Genesis 3: 6 to 17) :"When the woman (Eve) saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband (Adam), who was with her, and he ate it, Then the man (Adam) and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?" He (Adam) answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." And he (God) said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" The man said, "The woman (Eve) you put here with me-she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the Lord God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." To the woman he (God) said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." To

Adam he (God) said, "Because you listen to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life."

Qu/r'a/n 7: 19 to 23: (God said):"O Adam! You and your wife dwell in the Garden, and enjoy (its good things) as you wish: but do not approach this tree, or you run into harm and transgression." "Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them (Adam and Eve), bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he (Satan) said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest you should become angels or such beings as live for ever." "And he (Satan) swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser."

"So by deceit he brought about their (Adam and Eve) fall: when they tasted of the tree, their shame became manifest to them, and they began to sew together the leaves of the Garden over their bodies. And their Lord called to them: "Did I not forbid you that tree, and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy to you?" "They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged our own souls: if You do not forgive us and do not bestow upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be lost"

Female Gender vs. Male Gender

Leviticus 12: 2 to 5: ", if a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days, but if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, "

Qu/r'a/n 42: 49: "To A/l/lah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills. He bestows female children to whomever He wills and bestows male children to whomever He wills."

And in the hadith of prophet Mu/hamm/ad : "He who is involved in bringing up daughters, and accords benevolent treatment towards them, they will be protection for him against Hell-Fire."

The Female Spiritual Essence

Ecclesiastes 7 : 26 to 28: "I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare." "Look," says the Teacher, "this is what I have discovered: "Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things-while I was still searching but not finding- I found one upright man among a thousand, but not one upright woman among them all."

Qu/r'a/n 66: 11and 12: "And A/ll/ah sets forth, as an example to those who believe, the wife of Pharaoh: behold she said: 'O my Lord! build for me, in nearness to You, a mansion in the Garden, and save me from Pharaoh and his doings, and save me from those that do wrong," "And Mary the daughter of Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants)."

Hadith of Prophet Mu/ha/mm/ad: "Heaven is at the feet of the mothers."

Menses

Leviticus 15: 19 to 23: "When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening."

Hadith of prophet Mu/h/ammad: Ali asked the Prophet Moh/am/med if when a man and a woman make love then their clothes stick to them from the sweat of their bodies, or if when a woman has her period her clothes stick to her body, are the clothes considered unclean?
The Prophet replied: "No, the uncleanness is only in the semen and the blood."

Sexual Relation During Her Menses

Leviticus 18 verse 19: "Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period."

Qu/r'a/n 2 verse 222: "They ask you concerning women's courses (period). Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: so keep away (of making love) from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean, "

A Woman's Right to Education

1 Corinthian 14: 34 and 35: "let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law, and if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for woman to speak in the church."

hadith of prophet M/u/hammad: "Seeking knowledge is obligatory on every Muslim man and Muslim woman."

Right to Inheritance

Number 27 Verse 8: "Say to the Israelites, 'If a man dies and leaves no son, turn his inheritance over to his daughter, '"

Q/ur'a/n 4Verse 7: "From what is left by parents and those nearest related there is a share for men and a share for women, whether the property be small or large, -a determinate share."

Dressing Modesty / Head Covering

1 Corinthians 11: 3 to 6: "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head"

1 timothy 2 : 9 and 10: "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God"

Q/u/r'an 33 Verse 59: "O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And A/ll/ah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Q'u'r'an 24 Verse 31: ", they (believing women) should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, "

Polygamy

2 Samuel 5 verse 13: "After he left Hebron, David took more concubines and wives in Jerusalem, and more sons and daughters were born to him."

1 Kings 11 Verse 3: "He (Solomon) had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, "

Genesis 4 verse 19: "And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah."

Deuteronomy 21 verse 15: "If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the first-born son be hers that was hated: then it shall be, when he maketh, "

Exodus 21 Verse 10: "if he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall her not diminish."

Qu/r'an 4 Verse 3: "If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, to prevent you from doing injustice."

Prohibition in Marriage

Leviticus 18 Verse 18: "Do not take your wife's sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living."

Qu/r'a/n 4 Verse 23: "Prohibited to you (for marriage) are: -your mothers, daughters, sisters, and two sisters (the wife and her sister) in wedlock at one and the same time, "

Divorce

Mark 10: Verses 11 and 12: ", Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Q/ur'a/n 65 Verse 1: "O Prophet! When you do divorce women, divorce them at their prescribed periods, and count (accurately) their prescribed periods: and fear A/lla/h your Lord, "

The Divorcee & Widow

Matthew 5 Verse 32: ", who marries the divorced woman commits adultery."

Leviticus 21 Verses 13 and 14: "'The woman he (the priest) marries must be a virgin. He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people.'"

Q/ur'an 2 Verse 234: "If any of you die and leave widows behind, they shall wait concerning themselves four months and ten days: when they have fulfilled their term, there is no blame on you (marrying widows) if they dispose of themselves in a just and reasonable manner, "

The Respect of Parents

Luke 2 Verse 51: "Then he (Jesus) went down to Nazareth with them (his parents) and was obedient to them, "

Mark 7 Verse 10: "For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death."

Leviticus 19 Verse 3: "Each of you must respect his mother and father, "

Q/u/r'an 19 Verse 32: "He (God) has made me (Jesus) kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable."

Qw/r'an 31 verse 14:"And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail (pains of childbirth) upon travail his mother bore him, and in two years was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to your parents: to Me is (your final) Goal."
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by mazaje(m): 10:45pm On Apr 29, 2008
olabowale:

@D-reloaded: Please note that Jesus did not touch up on head covering or uncovering for for neither man nor woman. Unfortumnately, the opinion of Paul or others, barring that of the Master Jesus himself (as) will not cut it with me. It should be taken with a grain of salt. But in the maintime, lookk at what Bible said compared to what Qu.r'a/n and hadith said on the same subject matter.

Woman's Status
In Bible & Qu/r'an

We're trying to compare the woman's status as seen in Christianity and The Great Religion. The sources are mainly the Bible, The Great Book, and the teachings of Prophet The Great Prophet.

The Bible and the Qu/r'a/n agree: The First Woman / Eve

Christianity (Bible: Genesis 3: 6 to 17) :"When the woman (Eve) saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband (Adam), who was with her, and he ate it, Then the man (Adam) and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?" He (Adam) answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." And he (God) said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" The man said, "The woman (Eve) you put here with me-she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the Lord God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." To the woman he (God) said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." To

Adam he (God) said, "Because you listen to your wife and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat of it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life."

Qu/r'a/n 7: 19 to 23: (God said):"O Adam! You and your wife dwell in the Garden, and enjoy (its good things) as you wish: but do not approach this tree, or you run into harm and transgression." "Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them (Adam and Eve), bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he (Satan) said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest you should become angels or such beings as live for ever." "And he (Satan) swore to them both, that he was their sincere adviser."

"So by deceit he brought about their (Adam and Eve) fall: when they tasted of the tree, their shame became manifest to them, and they began to sew together the leaves of the Garden over their bodies. And their Lord called to them: "Did I not forbid you that tree, and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy to you?" "They said: "Our Lord! We have wronged our own souls: if You do not forgive us and do not bestow upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be lost"

Female Gender vs. Male Gender

Leviticus 12: 2 to 5: ", if a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days, but if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, "

Qu/r'a/n 42: 49: "To A/l/lah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills. He bestows female children to whomever He wills and bestows male children to whomever He wills."

And in the hadith of prophet Mu/hamm/ad : "He who is involved in bringing up daughters, and accords benevolent treatment towards them, they will be protection for him against Hell-Fire."

The Female Spiritual Essence

Ecclesiastes 7 : 26 to 28: "I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare." "Look," says the Teacher, "this is what I have discovered: "Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things-while I was still searching but not finding- I found one upright man among a thousand, but not one upright woman among them all."

Qu/r'a/n 66: 11and 12: "And A/ll/ah sets forth, as an example to those who believe, the wife of Pharaoh: behold she said: 'O my Lord! build for me, in nearness to You, a mansion in the Garden, and save me from Pharaoh and his doings, and save me from those that do wrong," "And Mary the daughter of Imran, who guarded her chastity; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants)."

Hadith of Prophet Mu/ha/mm/ad: "Heaven is at the feet of the mothers."

Menses

Leviticus 15: 19 to 23: "When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening."

Hadith of prophet Mu/h/ammad: Ali asked the Prophet Moh/am/med if when a man and a woman make love then their clothes stick to them from the sweat of their bodies, or if when a woman has her period her clothes stick to her body, are the clothes considered unclean?
The Prophet replied: "No, the uncleanness is only in the semen and the blood."

Sexual Relation During Her Menses

Leviticus 18 verse 19: "Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period."

Qu/r'a/n 2 verse 222: "They ask you concerning women's courses (period). Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: so keep away (of making love) from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean, "

A Woman's Right to Education

1 Corinthian 14: 34 and 35: "let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law, and if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for woman to speak in the church."

hadith of prophet M/u/hammad: "Seeking knowledge is obligatory on every Great One man and Great One woman."

Right to Inheritance

Number 27 Verse 8: "Say to the Israelites, 'If a man dies and leaves no son, turn his inheritance over to his daughter, '"

Q/your'a/n 4Verse 7: "From what is left by parents and those nearest related there is a share for men and a share for women, whether the property be small or large, -a determinate share."

Dressing Modesty / Head Covering

1 Corinthians 11: 3 to 6: "Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head"

1 timothy 2 : 9 and 10: "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God"

Q/u/r'an 33 Verse 59: "O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And A/ll/ah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Q'u'r'an 24 Verse 31: ", they (believing women) should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, "

Polygamy

2 Samuel 5 verse 13: "After he left Hebron, David took more concubines and wives in Jerusalem, and more sons and daughters were born to him."

1 Kings 11 Verse 3: "He (Solomon) had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, "

Genesis 4 verse 19: "And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah."

Deuteronomy 21 verse 15: "If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the first-born son be hers that was hated: then it shall be, when he maketh, "

Exodus 21 Verse 10: "if he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall her not diminish."

Qu/r'an 4 Verse 3: "If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, to prevent you from doing injustice."

Prohibition in Marriage

Leviticus 18 Verse 18: "Do not take your wife's sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living."

Qu/r'a/n 4 Verse 23: "Prohibited to you (for marriage) are: -your mothers, daughters, sisters, and two sisters (the wife and her sister) in wedlock at one and the same time, "

Divorce

Mark 10: Verses 11 and 12: ", Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Q/your'a/n 65 Verse 1: "O Prophet! When you do divorce women, divorce them at their prescribed periods, and count (accurately) their prescribed periods: and fear A/lla/h your Lord, "

The Divorcee & Widow

Matthew 5 Verse 32: ", who marries the divorced woman commits adultery."

Leviticus 21 Verses 13 and 14: "'The woman he (the priest) marries must be a virgin. He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people.'"

Q/your'an 2 Verse 234: "If any of you die and leave widows behind, they shall wait concerning themselves four months and ten days: when they have fulfilled their term, there is no blame on you (marrying widows) if they dispose of themselves in a just and reasonable manner, "

The Respect of Parents

Luke 2 Verse 51: "Then he (Jesus) went down to Nazareth with them (his parents) and was obedient to them, "

Mark 7 Verse 10: "For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death."

Leviticus 19 Verse 3: "Each of you must respect his mother and father, "

Q/u/r'an 19 Verse 32: "He (God) has made me (Jesus) kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable."

Qw/r'an 31 verse 14:"And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail (pains of childbirth) upon travail his mother bore him, and in two years was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to your parents: to Me is (your final) Goal."

This is all bull.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by 4Him1(m): 10:52pm On Apr 29, 2008
So much hot air for nothing especially from the hypocritical mu'slims.

1 Corinthians 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray to God uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame to him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. 16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Verse 13: clearly Paul is letting the brethren know that this is their own opinion.

Verse 15: Clearly indicates that the woman's hair is to her a covering.

Verse 16: Clearly tells us that women covering their hair is not a commandment neither is it a custom. Women are encouraged to cover their hair as a symbol of being under the authority of a christian husband (not just any riffraff).
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 1:41am On Apr 30, 2008
@Davidylan: lol.

So you finally admit that an opinion of somebody/group of people (Verse 13 above) is entered as part, a verse of the Bible? There goes the statement that the Bible is the words of God! So much for the untainted Bible. Aree Dafidi. Ki de shee? Se oun ka bibeli no yin! Shim ro fo, (I lost my ability to write Ijebu. Maybe we need Seun the Adm. to help us here. Afterall he is , of Ijebuland).

Furtjer David, in verse 15, you present us with an idea that the decision to cover or not to cover is woman's alone. Master Jesus did not have any statement about it. I bet his mother did not dress down like the women in Christendom of today. She probably is more likely to dress like the pious mu/sl/im woman.

Verse 16 is telling us that it has no religious and no cultural essence for a woman to cover her hair. But the essence in woman head covering is simply that she is subject of man's/husband's authority. I wonder when a woman is more under her husband's authority more; in the house or outside the home? I think if your Bible subject the woman to this much subjugations, no wonder most in the west burnt their undergarments in the first half of the past centuary to proclaim their freedom. Is any woman gonna stand for that, especially when there is no religious benefit to it. What an opinion from Paul. And it made it into the Bible! Further proof that it is not 100% words of God.

Finally: Verse 14 speaks about the shamefulness of men having long hair. How long should men hair be, before this shamefulness apply? Should length, or long or shorter? Paul must have been passing his own opinion without consideration to Jesus look. Oh, I get it. He never met Jesus.

If he did he would have known that Jesus had long hair. But the companions of Jesus should have told Paul though about Jesus having long hair. But I guess Paul kinda shut them down. He did not care for the appearance of Jesus, I take it.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Dreloaded(f): 2:10am On Apr 30, 2008
First, we have to agree that Mary never had her head uncovered. According to the Christians, they did not write everything that Jesus said. So we do not know whether he did not command against uncovering of woman's head. But the Jewish women here in Borough Park, Brookyn NY cover, all the time. Even when they are in the presence of guests in their homes. I aught to know. Some Rabbis and other observing Jews are friends. You can read their Mishnash and Talmut, to know how their women behave, regarding head coverings.

Catholics are the ones who put Mary on a such a high pedestal. Im not one so whether she covered her hair or not has no bearing on me or most non Catholics.
and Im not sure what a Jewish woman covering her hair has anything to do with the evidence Im asking for. All this "I believe Jesus would have wanted" thing you have going really doesnt cut it.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 3:35am On Apr 30, 2008
@D-reloaded: Read what Davidylan wrote above and my jovial response to him. please note that Jesus the master himself did not have any statement about head covering for women. However, its ironic that his mother, mary the woman who suckled and cared for your lord, from nothingness in the womb through delivery, until he became a strong and independent person never left her head uncovered. I know that you do not care what she did, even though she is the mother of your god.

Is there a woman more important than a mother to the child? But it is Paul who had opinions. Opinions which destroyed the concept that Bible is words of God and nothing else. Well, Paul's opinion destroys it. Furter it has no religious underpinning.

Interestingly thugh, no one told Paul that Jesus had long hair. Otherwise he would never have said that it is a shame for a man to have long hair. No body told the Christian men that jesus kept a beard throughout.

Finally, if a woman wants to imitate any woman, it should be the mother of Jesus, over the opinion of Paul. That is especially when Jesus never had any contrary statement about how his mother covered her head. And people are taking Paul's opinion over what is clearly behavior of Jesus' mother whic was acceptable to Jesus, because he never go against it.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by 2Legit: 4:19pm On May 02, 2008
Here is scriptures for you, 1 Timothy;

2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

There are many women who try very hard to observe these today, not that they are perfect but they do try.
You may be among westernised women or women who dont observe these but there are certainly women who still try to observe them.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Lady2(f): 8:48pm On May 02, 2008
Catholics are the ones who put Mary on a such a high pedestal. I'm not one so whether she covered her hair or not has no bearing on me or most non Catholics.
and I'm not sure what a Jewish woman covering her hair has anything to do with the evidence I'm asking for. All this "I believe Jesus would have wanted" thing you have going really doesnt cut it.

I am yet to understand how this turned into the Catholic view. Care to explain.
Cause he could have clearly stated Elizabeth or any Jewish woman for that matter.

Pls answer his question and stop deviating blame to the Catholics. In case you didn't know not all Catholics cover their heads with a shawl.

Ignorance is not bliss dear.

@Olabowale, my point is that it is more cultural than spiritual. When Christ died for our sins he didn't say that only those women who cover their heads should be accepted into his kingdom. It was the norm and culture of the Jewish women or those living in that part of the world, I am not Jewish. Just like circumcision, the covenant of circumcision was not given to the gentiles but to the Jews. Christ wants us to come to him as we are. When he extended salvation to the gentiles, he asked us to come to him as we are. He doesn't say that you should let go of your traditions.

It is my custom that my hair be braided and adorned in cultural beads. There are different beads to show the status of a man and woman. It is not my tradition that my hair be covered in a shawl. If I am to adopt the Jewish tradition then I would aslo adopt their way of marriage and their language. That means that I would abandon my heritage. That is not the directive of Christ. It may be so in Is'lam, but in Christianity there is no discrimination of one's culture.
If it was my culture that I cover my hair with a shawl then I would.

If you want we can view Is'lam and the reason why people think all mu'slims are terrorists.
Let's look at the Arabian mu'slims. They strongly believe in the Shariah law which condones punishing a woman when she is raped, regardless of the fact that the men too are punished, She didn't tell them to come defile her. It is a crime against her and she is punished for it. We know that Is'lam derived from the Arabs, so my dear Olabowale, are you in support of their traditions?
Or maybe we should look at the suicide bombings. Olabowale are you in support of that? Because that would take you straight to heaven?

You're a yoruba man, not an Arab abi?

Yes Christianity is a way of life but my dear that doesn't mean that I adopt someone else's culture. I can abide by God's rule and still be a Bini woman. I can praise God in my language, I don't have to adopt another man's language. If a religion comes to me and tells me that I must conform to another man's language then that religion is not of God, because God created us all and not just a particluar set of people. He didn't not create the Jews to be superior. He chose them to carry out his grand design, but he in no way created them superior.

Besided in the passage I posted above, Paul was telling them, 'hey you respect your husband by covering your head with a shawl, why not God?'

By the way, the hair is a covering of the head. That is why women should not have short hair (I am growing mine out, lol)

And what is wrong in a man finding a woman beautiful? All of God's creation is beautiful. What is wrong in the beauty of the hair? Oh it distracts men? Well isn't that sexist? A man has no self-control, blame the woman. And you were telling me that Christianity is sexist. lol.

@D-reloaded: Read what Davidylan wrote above and my jovial response to him. please note that Jesus the master himself did not have any statement about head covering for women. However, its ironic that his mother, mary the woman who suckled and cared for your lord, from nothingness in the womb through delivery, until he became a strong and independent person never left her head uncovered. I know that you do not care what she did, even though she is the mother of your god.

Exactly the point. He didn't say that women should cover their heads. Women of that time and in that part of the world already had their head covered. If Christ traveled to Africa, I doubt he would have said cover your hair (a covering already for the head).

Is there a woman more important than a mother to the child? But it is Paul who had opinions. Opinions which destroyed the concept that Bible is words of God and nothing else. Well, Paul's opinion destroys it. Furter it has no religious underpinning.

I beg to differ. I happen to believe that God uses men as instruments to carry out his work. He inspired Paul to write the books that make up parts of the New Testaments. If I am a singer and God wants to use me to fuflill his work, I will sing in the language I know and in the way I know how to as long as God's message is recognised.
It is still the Song of God because it wasn't by my might but by his.

If you lay claim that Paul corrupted the Bible, then the same claim can be made that Muhaaamad corrupted the Qu'ran (I can surely engage you in this discussion). But we can't talk abou that, cause it will be offensive.

Finally, if a woman wants to imitate any woman, it should be the mother of Jesus, over the opinion of Paul. That is especially when Jesus never had any contrary statement about how his mother covered her head. And people are taking Paul's opinion over what is clearly behavior of Jesus' mother whic was acceptable to Jesus, because he never go against it.

His mother was not American, she wasn't Nigerian, she wasn't African at all, she wasn't European. We can emulate her actions and reactions and her attitude towards life and her obedience to God, but that doesn't mean we should emulate her dressing or her language or her hair stylings. I don't have hair like hers, if I want to, then I would have to perform a damaging act to my scalp by getting a relaxer (perming). I don't have her same skin colour. A white woman is closer to her in skin appearance and hair than I am and I can't use the same hair products or style my hair the same way as a white woman. Why? because she's created into a different race (colour).

If you want your wife to be like the mother of Muhaamad then go get an Arabic woman, because she's the closest that you can get. A yoruba woman does not look like an Arabic woman, because she's not Arabic. It is not the yoruba culture to dress like an Arabic woman. If she does, she shows hatred for the way God made her and in so doing insults God. It's like a homosexual man becoming a woman, he insults God by changing the way he was perfectly and beautifully made.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 02, 2008
Tatooboy:
@elizabeth
its not only where u're in church but every where, do u also cover your head?

Since All@h is everywhere, and the M'uslim women (and men) cover themselves everywhere;then there is NO NEED to go to the m'osque.

Perhaps m'osques should be demolished and used to construct low cost housing for all.

Afterall, All@h is everywhere.
Re: Why Do Women Cover Thier Head? by olabowale(m): 9:59pm On May 02, 2008
@~lady~: If I have to follow your logic through, then I would have to conclude that God also made religion fit the culture of the individuals. The same argument that the traditionalist are making. Every culture will have a religion that is domain to itself.

But you and i will discuss this point along with others, am sure. Is/lam has its own set of traditions. It is not exclusively arabic either. God commands in Surah Azhab that every believing woman should dress in a particular way when she is outside her home, a space where whe is more likely to encounter strangers. She is even warned to step gently so that she does not shake anything that will shake otherwise, hence calling attention to herself.

In Isl/am mus/lim women can relax her hair, and make it fanciful, for the mutual alluring and attraction of her husband and her own excitement. I/sla/m is not boring. Oh no. It is full of excitement, between a husband and wife.

@Imhotep: Masajid are places of congregation and other things to strengthening bonds between M/su/lims. We just don't pray in them alone. We teach and learn. We solve communual problems and other aspect of live and living in there. And yet people can pray at home, also.

What is the purpose of churches when Jesus had nothing resembling any in his time on earth? Is Church the same as jewish temple where jesus prayed, etc? I have not seen Jews perform service in any church or Christian in a Jewish temple, either. And it may surprise you, mu/sl/im can pray in even church or jewish temple, if it comes to it.

(1) (Reply)

Alhaji Olabowale = Nopuqeater? / This is not Heaven that was talked about in the Bible, it is a whorehouse. / *AGE OF DECEIT* Fallen Angels And The New World Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.