Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? (11055 Views)

Parents, How Will You Handle This Without Embarrasing Yourself ? / Have You Ever Asked Your Parents How They Met? / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MyVicky: 8:37pm On May 27, 2013
I have come across so many prodigies who have risen to the top of their chosen career or profession simply because their parents identified their unique talent from childhood and the parents helped such children channel the talents appropriately. Time will fail me to list examples of such children from all spheres of life, such children have been tremendeous blessing to their generation and generations yet unborn just because a mother or a father identifies the talent they possessed at a very early age.

Seeing Carly Rose,Jamie grace, Sophia and Rosie grace sing is amazing.
Seeing the wonders performed by Messi, Williams Sisters, Tiger wood etc is awesome.
John Dabiri, Eesha Khare....etc are academic marvels.

My question is how does a parent identify her child's talent from early age? Sometimes we tend to shout children down especially when they are too forward at childhood but that could be a potential talent elsewhere. Some other times we don't like our children to be too quiet or too shy, that could also be a talent. So, how do we identify which is a talent in a child and which is not so we could hep them develop such talents to adulthood and make a difference to the world?

3 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MMotimo: 9:14pm On May 27, 2013
Depending on the talent, there may be standardized tests your child can take to confirm
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Gboliwe: 9:22pm On May 27, 2013
I would love to know too.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 27, 2013
Apart from test,don't restrict them in anything they r doin,check out their personalities too.read books on temperaments to broaden ur knowledge.there was this small boy of 4 and half yrs that I know very well.he is always hungry.everytime he is always asking for food but whenever he starts building his motor, generator etc(actually,if a mechanic come to do work in their house,forget him till d mechanic goes home)he will never ask for food.entice him with anything u r wasting ur time.if he will ever answer u,he will tell u he is building motor,and he has tools. really good stuffs.if d parents encourage him,I think he will be a good mech engineer.
Also d environment plays a big part.

4 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MyVicky: 6:23am On May 28, 2013
MMotimo: Depending on the talent, there may be standardized tests your child can take to confirm
Test? That's news to me.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MyVicky: 2:58pm On May 28, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Apart from test,don't restrict them in anything they r doin,check out their personalities too.read books on temperaments to broaden ur knowledge.there was this small boy of 4 and half yrs that I know very well.he is always hungry.everytime he is always asking for food but whenever he starts building his motor, generator etc(actually,if a mechanic come to do work in their house,forget him till d mechanic goes home)he will never ask for food.entice him with anything u r wasting ur time.if he will ever answer u,he will tell u he is building motor,and he has tools. really good stuffs.if d parents encourage him,I think he will be a good mech engineer.
Also d environment plays a big part.
Nice input. Appreciate.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by DJDOLA(m): 6:04pm On May 28, 2013
By GOD grace
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Temismith(f): 6:08pm On May 28, 2013
From the things d chilld loves to do, d way he acts aπϑ speak, his relationship with people aπϑ things atround him. Etc.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MMotimo: 6:10pm On May 28, 2013
My Vicky:
Test? That's news to me.

IQ-type tests designed for the child's age, usually for academics. I think you can find such tests online
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by yuzedo: 6:11pm On May 28, 2013
By FLOGIN d pikins day and nite, dey will learn any talent u wanted, i promice!!!! angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by vixen2: 6:14pm On May 28, 2013
knowing wat dat child is capable of doing,and at the rite time
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by dallyemmy: 6:15pm On May 28, 2013
You need to study them closely. Lookout for things they have interest and passion in. Also, you need to study wide too about children talents. All they need is your encouragement. It starts with exposing them to several opportunities and observing their reactions.

2 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Kingslaw(m): 6:17pm On May 28, 2013
I think asking him/her what they will like to be will be the easiest way.Helping to
Build it will have to do with you(parent) buying carear related books,persuading them to read it for better 2moro.

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by brotherlyn(m): 6:17pm On May 28, 2013
The story is said of Apostle Babalola, the founding General Evangelist of CAC. It was said as a child, that he would cry and cry to the point of irritation. His parents didn't understand that those cries where actually ordained of God as a Voice meant to deliver the nation from the strongholds of darkness. Then something happened at the age of 24, Jesus appeared to him and ordained as a Prophet and explained quite a number of things to him.

So, one of the ways you can identify the gift in someone at a very early age is to look closely to what that child loves to do. For example, if a boy loves to play football and he's very good at it to the extent that his friends will always come to call him for a street soccer or match, then know that that might just be a talent that needs to honed.

Another example is, if people are always gathering at your house to gist and chat all the time, somebody might have a call to be a shepherd in that house. Sounds weird?! That might be truth.

Another way is if your child loves to talk and talk. She just might be a lawyer. I know of a young girl that loves to serve visitors whenever they are in her father house. She'll be the one to give them water and food and at times fights with the elder sister in order to be able to serve the visitor. She has a caring ministry.

3 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Lilimax(f): 6:18pm On May 28, 2013
Watch them closely while they are playing at home• You may discover some traits • My 5yrs daughter likes dancing ballet type of dance• Whenever she stars, she will always be on her tight and you dare not stop her when she starts• These are giving me indication that she may do well in dancing ballet although I`m still watching her closely•
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by alphaconde(m): 6:21pm On May 28, 2013
Those things the child does with ease or with less instructions. Basically what they have passion for. My younger brother is not good with academics but he is a genuis with cartoons. His is cartonist. Hence he is talented in that aspect. You must discover your child talents if you look closely except if the evidence may reveal itself later perhaps when the child continues to grow. You may then discover he is a politician, this u may not be able to discover @ a young age.

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by othenok(f): 6:21pm On May 28, 2013
Environment plays a big role for example my baby brother while in Naija was fond of running back home immediately he is dropped off in school and home was like 3km from school. When he finally relocated to the US his walking/ running long dist was seen as a talent and channeled to d right direction. Now he is a star track champion presetly on scholarship in one of d best colleges

4 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by thundey95(m): 6:27pm On May 28, 2013
understanding parents and closeness to one's children help to discover more about the child not only their talents
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 28, 2013
The school's report sheet might help in showing which aspect, academically such will major either sciences or arts. Never never nag nor compare him or her to another.
UPDATE: this will help you in the long run, instead of the child repeating the same class over and over, s/he would finish at an early age.

2 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 28, 2013
Lilimax: Watch them closely while they are playing at home• You may discover some traits • My 5yrs daughter likes dancing ballet type of dance• Whenever she stars, she will always be on her tight and you dare not stop her when she starts• These are giving me indication that she may do well in dancing ballet although I`m still watching her closely•

lol, nice

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by damosky12(m): 6:45pm On May 28, 2013
What makes them angry: This could be a pointer to the problems they were created to solve. Years ago, a young man had an uncommon enthusism to defend the hebrew slaves against the Egyptians. Years later, he discovered he was actually born to be the Hebrews dilieverer potentially. Some of you know who am talking about. What makes a child extreamely angry in a way that is hard to understand could just be a sure pointer to the problems he is created to solve.
What brings out the action and the best in you: This is another major way to discovering one's potential. A great preacher in Ghana once said while He was a very quiet child growing up, he hardly talked to anyone. In school, no matter how intriguing his mates' conversation are, he didnt contribute because of his uncommon nature of quietness. He said; but one thing brought out the talkertive in him, that was the Bible. As quiet as He was, if any conversation concerning the bible rises, he was the conversation ring leader, very bold, articulate, talking and never stopping. That was a pointer to where He belonged. Years later, He became a world known preacher.

3 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by speeder(m): 6:46pm On May 28, 2013
phoinix:

lol, nice
story
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by MAXBERT(m): 6:48pm On May 28, 2013
dere ar no tests 4 talents.
u will hav 2 b observant on hw he spends his time & wat he does d most.
with dis in check u myt just notice somtim 'outstanding' OR 'unique'.
talents are however latent...takes somtim 2 figure it out.
ask him personally abt his hobbies & alow him 2 always hav a sense of freedom 2 speak openly.he myt just spit it out 1 day.
dnt force him/her 2 read unles wen absolutely neccesary.wit dat try 2 watch wat he does wen he refuses 2 read.
i hope i proved helpful.....!

1 Like

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by ITbomb(m): 6:48pm On May 28, 2013
.Sleeping positions also helps

5 Likes

Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by yomalex(m): 7:00pm On May 28, 2013
can someone explain the sleeping positions i can't see clearly. thanks
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by Lilimax(f): 7:06pm On May 28, 2013
speeder: This one na jamp question abi na waec?
if you have nothing reasonable to comment shut up•
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by AKO1(m): 7:12pm On May 28, 2013
What does the child do so well that you wonder if they've been getting lessons behind your back?

That.
Re: Parents: How Do You Identify A Child's Talent? by scientology(m): 7:22pm On May 28, 2013
always keep money on the table and also keep empty gold circle packs..the ones he/she picks first

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Mortal Body: Story Of My Child And Grand Mum / Prepaid Electricity Meter: So Person Cannot Cook In Peace With Electric Cooker? / How Much Is Too Much To Tell Your Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.