Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story (1389 Views)

WHY AMAECHI IS A GONER (INTEGRITY GROUP DEFENSE AT THE SENATE) / Why Amaechi's Name Was Delisted From Senate Screening Today - My View / Rivers State VS Rwanda: Why Amaechi Should Is An Underachiever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by gratiaeo(m): 6:34am On May 28, 2013
Peter Obi version of story
The crisis rocking the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) deepened yesterday with opposition governors and anti-Amaechi group sticking to their positions 48 hours after a controversial election that split the 36 governors’ camp.
Relying on the NGF’s constitution, Anambra State Governor Peter Obi said it does not make room for re-election of a sitting chairman.
Rivers State Governor Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi was re-elected NGF chairman by 19 governors in theelection that was held in Abuja last Friday. Plateau State Governor JonahJang is recognized by 16 governors as the new boss of the influential body. The anti-Amaechi governors claimed there was no election but the NGF’s Director-General, Mr. Ashishama Okauru, disagreed, saying Amaechi won the election even as Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi was sad over the controversy trailing an exercise which he described as free and fair.
Reacting to the development, Governor Peter Obi said that the re-election of a sitting chairman has no place in the NGF’s constitution. A chairman, he noted, could only serve a single, non-renewable term.
Speaking to Daily Sun in Abuja yesterday, Gov. Obi said the NGF which was modeled after American Governors’ Forum constitution, prescribes only a single two-year term for a sitting chairman with no proviso for re-election.
Gov. Obi revealed that the amended constitution which Gov. Amaechi relied on to run in the controversial election was not only doctored, but was never ratified by the larger bodyof governors.
He claimed that Amaechi’s re-election could not stand because he was not the consensus choice of the body.
“Four out of the five governors in the South-East said Gov. Jang is their choice; five out of the six governors in the South-South recognise Jang as their chairman; in the North, it is the same thing, so what are we talking about? This is a body of equal partners, a voluntary group, and there has never been a time we had election. It had always been by consensus. They doctored the constitution which was never even ratified.”
Excerpts :
What is your view on the contentious NGF election?
First, let me say that in the history of our forum, we have never had chairmanship election . In Ilorin, we were about seven governors, later on Oshiomhole came by the time Amaechi was selected..
Was he elected or selected, was it done through consensus?
Let me tell you what happened , we just arrived there and they said that we need to have a new leadership . Everybody was like, it was going to be me because I was the vice based on the constitution. The then governor of Bayelsa State, Sylva said Amaechi , then the PDP governors said Amaechi. Nothing else, nobody said; raise your hand . It was just like that . It has always been through consensus, when we agree we agree. Initially what worked against me was that they argued that I’m a non – Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governor. In fact, I have letters , documents to back what I am saying .
You are perceived as a man of integrity. What exactly happened?
For you to understand, let me continue with what happened in Ilorin. they said that it should not be me because am not from PDP, it was actually zoned
to the South-East . Let me tell you the background so that you will understand this very well. When we were having a little bit of problem with Saraki and governors wanted to remove him, we decided that we must formalize everything concerning the forum . We went and borrowed the American Governors’ Forum constitution which says that there would be a chairman and vice chairman . After two years, the chairman leaves and the vice takes over, a new vice is appointed. That is the American constitution and that was what we adopted. Based on this, on the day we agreed to this, I was elected the vice chairman under Saraki. That was in 2009. It was by consensus, the governors said let Peter Obi be the vice Chairman. That was how I became the vice chairman.
How come there is a problem of re-election?
It is not supposed to be. That document is doctored. What we adopted has no provision for re-election . The American Governors’ Forum constitution says after two years, the vice will automatically take over. So, there is no issue of reelection . This like an NGO of equal partners.
After I served for two years, when it was 2011 they brought the issue of PDP being the majority party. I was the only APGA governor then. They zoned it to the South-East, the then four PDP governors in the south east signed and said they wanted me. At that stage, they decided to look for another zone. That was how Amaechicame into being.
But we understand that a section on non-re-election was amended at the Corporate Affairs Commission?
Let me tell you, all those things were not approved by anybody . They doctored it. I am one man who attends every meeting, I can’t remember ever sitting down and adopting the constitution you are talking about.
Was there truly an election, what happened?
As far as I am concerned, in Kwara , aparticular governor said they should not conduct election in Kwara because we do not have a quorum . He was told that a quorum is 12 . Andeven in this constitution, they are quoting now, our quorum remains 12. If the quorum is 12 and 12 don’t want you, that means you should even not contest.
And the 18 are saying, you don’t recognize him?
If the quorum says it is 12 and 12 do not want you , the game should be up, I don’t see anything anybody will stay a day longer for.
As we speak to you now, who is the chairman of NGF?
For me, for our zone, our support goes to Jang. Let me tell you my stand on this, I support Jang based on consensus and based on the agreement of my zone.
Do you feel bad that Amaechi is insisting on re-election when he knows how he himself emerged?
The way I see it is that it is a voluntary organisation which nobodyshould insist on being the chairman . If the quorum is 12 and 12 people have said no, it should end there.
Meanwhile, Governor Fayemi has described Amaechi’s re-election as victory for democracy, saying that the decision of the forum to opt for election instead of consensus was as a result of democratic growth.
Fayemi, who spoke with journalists at his Ishan-Ekiti country home at the weekend, however urged Nigerians to see the emergence of Amaechi as strictly a demonstration of his colleagues’ confidence in his leadership of the Forum and not a victory over the Presidency.
Fayemi said: “It is a contest among governors for the chairmanship position and it would be wrong for anyone to consider it a contest between President Goodluck Jonathan and Amaechi as the President was not a contestant.”
Fayemi described as “sad” comments by the anti-Amaechi governors that the NGF election was rigged. According to him, it is sad and soilingthe integrity of anyone who holds such a belief. He added that the election which was recorded on tape was one of the most credible he had witnessed.
In a related development, Jang has pledged to unite the governors’ forum.
The governor who stated this yesterday at the Yakubu Gowon Airport in Jos shortly after his arrival from Abuja where he emerged as theChairman of the NGF, said he never bargained for the position, but out of God’s work he emerged.
He pledged to give the forum the best, stressing that the NGF should not divide the Governors Forum. Meanwhile, Plateau citizens came outen-masse to celebrate his emergence with many saying they were caught unawares as they never expected it.
http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsunnewsonline.com%2Fnew%2Fcover%2Fwhy-amaechi-cant-return-gov-obi%2F&media=http://sunnewsonline.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PETER-OBI1.jpg&description=http%3A%2F%2Fsunnewsonline.com%2Fnew%2Fcover%2Fwhy-amaechi-cant-return-gov-obi%2F%20-%20Why%20Amaechi%20can%E2%80%99t%20return%20%E2%80%93Gov%20Obi

1 Like

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by brixton: 6:51am On May 28, 2013
Ok

1 Like

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by 2gbasky22(m): 7:14am On May 28, 2013
Nigerians we too dey copy copy, why cant the NGF create their own constitution, must we copy everything from america?.......abi democracy/elections nor be game of number again?
But if amaechi knows how he came into power, let him nt bend the rule, now

I don't even see the importance/benefit of the NGF to the the plight of the masses.
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Dreal1247: 7:16am On May 28, 2013
I think it is better for Amaechi to listen to the voice of reasoning. This is a big lesson to all who call Jonathan retardeen. Slow and steady wins the race. Take in a family for instance, the man is assumed to be the head. They will shout, issue commands, but at last through multiple 'my darling', he is forcede to do what the woman wants. Who is in charge then? I leave the answer to you that is reading this comment.
Gradually the masses are now supporting Gej because it is becoming obvious that the opposition is not fighting for the masses but for themselves. Even the opposition will only use and dump him. Where is Peter Odili? What of the All powerful Ibori? I pray that he (Amaechi) acts wisely on time b4 its 2 late.

2 Likes

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by anonymous87: 7:22am On May 28, 2013
if as the vice u werent allowed to be the chairman , you should know by then that we NGF wasnt copying any American system. its purely our own way of doing things.

secondly, rather than partake in the election, you should have taken Ameachi to court, partaking is such a election makes u a dishonorable man, now this shows also that NGF doesnt practice the so called model.
what is wrong with these leaders? cant a man stand up for what is right? if Obi knew it was wrong and he was a product of court judgement, cant he for the sake and integrity of NGF sue Ameachi ?

He claimed it was doctored and he never sued? ok ooooooooo...
Keep Schooling us

1 Like

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by otokx(m): 7:30am On May 28, 2013
Peter Obi just lost a fan, it would have been better he kept silent.

2 Likes

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by djon78(m): 7:44am On May 28, 2013
This is the only reasonable explanation I have read on this issue:

the governors forum has always been peaceful; without any rancour until the tenure of Amechi. He politicised it, changed the mode of selection, infact the guy is so controversial. Let him go and rule over his own faction and leave the others to their own faction. Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Abagworo(m): 7:50am On May 28, 2013
Dreal1247: I think it is better for Amaechi to listen to the voice of reasoning. This is a big lesson to all who call Jonathan retardeen. Slow and steady wins the race. Take in a family for instance, the man is assumed to be the head. They will shout, issue commands, but at last through multiple 'my darling', he is forcede to do what the woman wants. Who is in charge then? I leave the answer to you that is reading this comment.
Gradually the masses are now supporting Gej because it is becoming obvious that the opposition is not fighting for the masses but for themselves. Even the opposition will only use and dump him. Where is Peter Odili? What of the All powerful Ibori? I pray that he (Amaechi) acts wisely on time b4 its 2 late.

Amaechi has performed far better than Jonathan, Odili and Ibori combined. They are not in the same level as achievers. Nobody supports GEJ except tribalists and thieves. I've never seen anyone give a reason for supporting GEJ except that he is from South-south and they lay the golden egg. Amaechi is also from the South-south and in addition is better in every other thing than Jonathan. The facts are gradually emerging that the only hope of Jonathan in 2015 election is by crook but our Nigerians ain't no cowards. When he attempts rigging again in 2015, there will be more nationwide riots than 2011 and I'm afraid it could end bloody. We don't need a soothsayer to know all these. Visit the market place, universities, Keke operator gatherings, Churches, Mosques and you'll know the bitterness in the heart of the poor Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Nobody: 8:06am On May 28, 2013
anonymous87: if as the vice u werent allowed to be the chairman , you should know by then that we NGF wasnt copying any American system. its purely our own way of doing things.

secondly, rather than partake in the election, you should have taken Ameachi to court, partaking is such a election makes u a dishonorable man, now this shows also that NGF doesnt practice the so called model.
what is wrong with these leaders? cant a man stand up for what is right? if Obi knew it was wrong and he was a product of court judgement, cant he for the sake and integrity of NGF sue Ameachi ?

He claimed it was doctored and he never sued? ok ooooooooo...
Keep Schooling us

Innit though?

Locking the stable door after the horse had bolted.

Governor Obi is both right and wrong if we consider the following account.

According to the sources, the Constitution of the NGF which was produced in 2008-09 by a committee chaired by then Kaduna State Governor Namadi Sambo provided that the chairman will serve for two years and also that the post will rotate between North and South. Other members of the committee that drafted the constitution included Babatunde Fashola and Gabriel Suswam. Sometime last year however, the sources said, forum chairman Governor Rotimi Amaechi circulated copies of a new constitution for the forum which expunged the rotation principle. This new document, the sources said, was never debated let alone adopted as the forum’s constitution.

In February this year, Northern governors had a meeting where they noted that Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi’s term will end in April and that it will be their turn to produce a successor. Governor Ibrahim Shema of Katsina State then indicated his interest to vie for the position.

A month later, a meeting was held at the residence of Benue State Governor Gabriel Suswam in Abuja to review the Northern Governors’ preparations for the upcoming election. At that meeting, Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido and his Kano State counterpart Rabi’u Kwankwaso said even though Shema had indicated his interest to contest, he should not be fielded because he is arrogant. Adamawa State governor Murtala Nyako added that Shema also does not honour invitations to attend other people’s occasions and so should not be fielded

Shortly afterwards, some of the governors led by Suswam and Akwa Ibom’s Godswill Akpabio persuaded Bauchi State governor Isa Yuguda to seek the post, saying he has better relations with all the governors. By then, matters had been beclouded by Governor Rotimi Amaechi’s declaration that he would seek re-election. Entreaties to him by the Northern governors to respect the rotation principle were rebuffed. In the week preceding the meeting, intense efforts were made to persuade Shema and Yuguda to “reconcile” and allow one of them to emerge by consensus, which was how the forum usually produced its leaders.

Up to that point, the Northern governors still believed that Amaechi would ultimately step down and make way for a Northern chairman. They pointed out that at no time in the past did the forum ever hold elections to choose its leaders. Its first chairman Abdullahi Adamu of Nasarawa was chosen by consensus, as was his successor, Obong Victor Attah of Akwa Ibom. Attah too was succeeded by Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki of Kwara who was chosen by consensus. Amaechi too, the sources said, was chosen by consensus at a meeting in Ilorin at which only 12 governors were present.

Last Friday morning, hours before the NGF election, most of the Northern Governors met at the Niger State Governor’s Lodge. It was reported there that Shema took the hard stand that “if Yuguda contests, I will contest and if Yuguda withdraws, I will withdraw.” Northern Governors’ chairman Dr. Babangida Aliyu then asked both men to excuse the meeting. When they left, a North East governor said, “Baba Jang, we should support you for this position. You are the right person.” No one opposed the suggestion, and that was how Plateau State Governor Jonah Jang was chosen as the Northern consensus candidate for the NGF chair.

^^^Despite expressions of disquiet, it is clear that a number of Northern governors were not unduly perturbed by the thought of an electoral contest. President Jonathan's rejection of the so-called "zoning arrangement" in his earlier quest for the highest office in the land had, no doubt, seen to this cheesy

Shortly after Friday prayers, Akpabio summoned a meeting of the PDP Governors Forum at the Akwa Ibom State Lodge. There, Jang was presented as the consensus candidate. Akpabio then calculated that Jang was guaranteed 19 Northern votes, 3 Igbo governors’ votes, another 4 Niger Delta governors’ votes plus one Yoruba vote, apparently that of Ondo State Governor Olusegun Mimiko. This adds up to a total of 27 votes for pro-Jonathan candidate Jang, or so Akpabio thought.

^^^Akpabio was clearly deluded here.

By 4’oclock, all the PDP governors were at the Rivers State Lodge venue for the election but a meeting of the 10 APC governors was taking place at the Lagos State Lodge. The first sign of trouble for Akpabio’s calculation was that APC governors from the North attended the opposition governors’ meeting, which went on until 5pm and delayed the NGF meeting’s start by an hour. Word also filtered through that the Northern consensus had collapsed because the APC block had decided to back Amaechi.

^^^Anyone can see that "consensus" - much like the "rotational agreement" Akpabio's principal rightfully ditched - was destined to die a premature death.

When the APC governors finally arrived together at the Rivers Lodge, the atmosphere became rowdy. They demanded that there should be an election right away. Amaechi strongly supported their position and used his position as chairman to ram it through. Akpabio and his supporters opposed a vote, saying there should be consensus. In the end, there was a vote but the pro-Jonathan governors later said the atmosphere was rowdy and they did not trust the declared results.

^^^Sensing that victory was slipping away, Akpabio mounts a rearguard assault in favour of "consensus" once more...but alas this was all too little, too late cheesy

How did Rotimi Amaechi get 19 votes ?He apparently got the votes of the 9 APC governors [Gaidam was absent and did not send his deputy] plus his own. Others that the pro-Jonathan camp believes voted for Amaechi include his friend, Enugu State Governor Sullivan Chime, Kwankwaso, Lamido, Babangida Aliyu, Murtala Nyako, Sokoto State Governor Aliyu Wamakko, Kwara State Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed and Kebbi State Governor Sa’idu Dakingari. That still leaves two votes unaccounted for.

Last Saturday, when Governor Jang held an “inaugural” meeting of the forum in his capacity as the “chairman” proclaimed by the pro-Jonathan camp, 18 governors attended, two more than the 16 votes he got. Who were the two men who ran with the hare and hunted with the hound? Our sources provided some clues, but we cannot mention them here due to lack of space.

^^^One of the other two unaccounted for was Governor Elechi of Ebonyi, according to a different newspaper.
So there we have it folks - NGF election: How it all unfolded

2 Likes

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by donchris999: 8:14am On May 28, 2013
Abagworo:

Amaechi has performed far better than Jonathan, Odili and Ibori combined. They are not in the same level as achievers. Nobody supports GEJ except tribalists and thieves. I've never seen anyone give a reason for supporting GEJ except that he is from South-south and they lay the golden egg. Amaechi is also from the South-south and in addition is better in every other thing than Jonathan. The facts are gradually emerging that the only hope of Jonathan in 2015 election is by crook but our Nigerians ain't no cowards. When he attempts rigging again in 2015, there will be more nationwide riots than 2011 and I'm afraid it could end bloody. We don't need a soothsayer to know all these. Visit the market place, universities, Keke operator gatherings, Churches, Mosques and you'll know the bitterness in the heart of the poor Nigerians.
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Abagworo(m): 8:14am On May 28, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Innit though?

Locking the stable door after the horse had bolted.

Governor Obi is both right and wrong if we consider the following account.

^^^Despite expressions of disquiet, it is clear that a number of Northern governors were not unduly perturbed by the thought of an electoral contest. President Jonathan's rejection of the so-called "zoning arrangement" in his earlier quest for the highest office in the land had, no doubt, seen to this cheesy

^^^Akpabio was clearly deluded here.

^^^Anyone can see that "consensus" - much like the "rotational agreement" Akpabio's principal rightfully ditched - was destined to die a premature death.

^^^Sensing that victory was slipping away, Akpabio mounts a rearguard assault in favour of "consensus" once more...but alas this was all too little, too late cheesy

^^^One of the other two unaccounted for was Governor Elechi of Ebonyi, according to a different newspaper.
So there we have it folks - NGF election: How it all unfolded

So Chime voted for Amaechi? I believe another South-south Governor completes the list. Could it be Delta or Cross River?
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Nobody: 8:16am On May 28, 2013
Abagworo:

So Chime voted for Amaechi? I believe another South-south Governor completes the list. Could it be Delta or Cross River?

Apparently, both Chime and Elechi did.

I have maintained all along that some folks simply ain't reading the tea leaves correctly grin
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by slimghost(m): 8:21am On May 28, 2013
You see the ape called Amaechi. You were appointed as a consensus candidate and now you want an election. Deal with it , you power hungry slowpoke. Jang has been appointed the say same you came through, by consensus.
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by thelastpope10: 8:32am On May 28, 2013
otokx: Peter Obi just lost a fan, it would have been better he kept silent.

You are a fan? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by slimghost(m): 8:47am On May 28, 2013
otokx: Peter Obi just lost a fan, it would have been better he kept silent.
You were never a fan! Shhh
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by ochukoccna: 9:19am On May 28, 2013
Shrinks are needed to help evaluate our leadership
Nigeria is doomed with this kind of people as leaders
A president and his band of governors behaving as brainless goons because their prefered candidate lost out despite all their machinations
Amaechi outsmarted Ebele and his posse right in Aso Villa and all hell has broken loose
When Buhari said Ebele did some rigging in 2011 we all shouted him down
Isn't it apparent Ebele wants to come back in 2015 by all means (fair or otherwise) necessary?
How then will the baboon and dog not be soaked in blood undecided
Free elections my foot!

1 Like

Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Nobody: 9:39am On May 28, 2013
You've said it all@ochukoccna.

It is also the height of hypocrisy for GEJites, who conveniently laud the jettisoning of a "one term only" pact signed with the Northern political elite, to attempt to sell a re-packaged lie called "consensus".

But eh, reasoned arguments have never being the forte of those easily given to primordial concerns grin
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by Godmann(m): 9:39am On May 28, 2013
Welcome to the world of the clueless pretenders - Obi and GEJ
Re: Why Amaechi Can't Return - Read Peter Obi Version Of Story by kingdami(m): 1:34pm On May 28, 2013
That peter obi speech is more or else a envious speech.because u did bcme d NGF does mean u shuld be envious of ur brother. Infact am so disappointed with all u said peter.

(1) (Reply)

Why / Educationist Questioned Osun State O’ School Reform Initiative. / Fundraising For Terror Victims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.