Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. (18955 Views)

Lapo Loan Funding In Conjunction With Central Bank Of Nigeria. (cbn). / The Viability Of Crowd Funding In Nigeria - Will You Participate / Is Sme Funding In Nigeria A Fact Or Fiction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 6:37pm On Jun 05, 2013
@yourmindset. Thanks and yes, you can join in the movement.
@yamakuza. Thanks and you are right, would do that.
@wallie. Yes on both counts.

A business incubator possible through crowd funding for the purpose of employment, profitability and increased visibility towards Venture Capital fund attraction and eventual expansion.

Thanks for the comments. Being doing a whole load of research. I would reach out to all of you soon. This project is working already, we are simply adding structure and stability to an already existent system.

1 Like

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by thiisme: 8:47pm On Jun 05, 2013
Am very much interested in the success of this idea.So count me in.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by PapaBrowne(m): 1:51am On Jun 06, 2013
Wow Charcoablaq!!! Interesting that we are thinking the same thoughts. Your words are almost exactly my thoughts. I am beyond impressed and the knowledge that there are people of like minds is enthralling. I'm so with you on this.
My email is uyi@strategy200.com. Would like to be updated.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 9:54am On Jun 06, 2013
@thilsme, send me ur email.
@papabrown. Done.

Would send out a second email soon.

"Nothing can stop an idea whose time has come"

We are at a time of highs on the positive and negative end.

Negative end because of the rate of unemployment which is just embarrassing.

Positive because of the high interest of today's person, young and old in being an entrepreneur. A bigger positive because despite the unemployment we have a large middle class who are genuinely looking for alternative investment options not just for the sake of profit, but for the combined sake of impact.

We are going to bridging that gap.

I have gotten calls from several people(cant figure how they got my number) already asking the question when are we going to start so they can invest. Venture capitals and the rest of the financial institutions would need us to churn out businesses they can invest in, we would literally have a pick of options.

I have had several discussions with several people few of whom are high profile people on this topic over the past week and i am telling you we are IT.

But we have to do it right, we need to dot alot of I's and so on. Our legal backbone has to be made of titanium because it is not going to be all rose petals, infact the only time it would be good is when we have one of the launched companies expand through VC funding. That is the only time we would be able to breathe and call the bluff of an army of nay sayers who would be too eager to name the initiative "Nospecto Reloaded".

I am so happy to have you guys on board and i am happier knowing where we would be in the next few months.

1 Like

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by thiisme: 12:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
DJdamilola01[@]gmail[dot]com
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Wallie(m): 4:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
Here's an article about recalculating Nigeria's GDP that relates to the investment climate that can be created. The article also highlighted a mobile apps development company, Pledge51.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/05/31/187401022/how-recalculating-gdp-can-help-app-designers-in-nigeria

I'm interested in this endeavor but I'm not based in Nigeria, which is why I've not attempted to launch such a program (although, I wasn't going to crowd source for investment funds). The aforesaid notwithstanding, I can help in the legal and business arena if your tentacles reach this side of the world.

1 Like

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 4:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
Thanks alot @wallie.

Read the article. I think Nigeria may just be on the verge of a boom. This project and its resulting entities would be properly positioned for the investment high the country is already witnessing.

Without these project alot of businesses would not be seeing the light of day.

Unlike Pledge 51, our focus would mostly be of agricultural, trade and real estate dimensions and i think this kind of businesses properly managed and growing would be able to take a better advantage of the investment opportunities that would be available.

I would definitely need your expertise sir, infact i am thinking it may be best to register the company in a country that allows for crowd funding activities.

Thanks for your response, i look forward to working with you.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Wallie(m): 6:10pm On Jun 06, 2013
With regards to agriculture, there’s very little money to be made unless mechanized or large scale farming is practiced and even then, you’re always a season or two away from wiping off gains made over the years if the weather becomes unfavorable or your livestock gets a major infection. If the government of Nigeria is subsidizing agriculture, like the rest of the western world, then you might be onto something.

If I may, I think what Nigeria needs more of, as far as agriculture is concerned, is food preservation and packaging. Can you imagine being able to make fruits or crops available off season or being able to prolong the life of harvested crops long enough to make it to a major market where someone is willing to pay top Naira?
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by AjanleKoko: 6:19pm On Jun 06, 2013
Just seeing this. Interesting, will settle down and read later wink
Following. . .
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
@wallie.

You are right.

Agriculture most times leaves little to gain on a small scale. But let me give you an example.

Oke-Aro farms is the largest pig farm in Africa, with about 1200 pig farmers and over 100,000 pigs. This is big scale, but not so big.
Each farmer is a millionaire, they are basically doing okay.

There is a lot of monies to be made in agriculture. I know poultry owners and fish farmers who started small scale and send their children to good schools off their profits.

I agree with you that the case is not always rosy and the government can play a huge role and make it a lot more attractive.
But what we are trying to do with agriculture is not small scale.

I am not much for planting, but i do like the pig idea, they reproduce plenty, have a huge demand and show an incredible tolerance of diseases.

I agree with you completely on the need for packaging and preservation, this is something i have given a lot of thought too, and i am going to make sure we do in whatever agricultural direction we face. I know it adds MAJOR to the bottom line.

When i say agricultural, i am not talking the whole sphere, am talking of the ones that are a whole lot less risky and are profitable in the short and long term. I had a friend invest in sesame seed planting to the sum of N1.5M. He was in a debt of over N400,000 when he was done and barely had produce of N300,000 worth.

I mentioned agriculture mostly in terms of commodities trade. There is a very huge gap that can be filled in that regard. VERY HUGE.

If we decide to go all planting the companies we would be creating would be set towards mechanisation, packaging and preservation, am sure this is the only that VC firms would be interested in funding towards expansion. These companies would have to geared towards the long term and make a good profit in the short term.

I appreciate your comment, we would need to brainstorm more you and I.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Wallie(m): 7:18pm On Jun 06, 2013
@CharcoalBlaq

Are you talking future markets traded on the stock exchange and/or agricultural cooperatives? Either way, I think you're onto something great!
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 7:28pm On Jun 06, 2013
Wallie: @CharcoalBlaq

Are you talking future markets traded on the stock exchange and/or agricultural cooperatives? Either way, I think you're onto something great!

I love the idea of future markets.
Agriculture as with other businesses we would would venture in would be communal or social enterprises, so i guess that is kind of like cooperative in a sense.
I would need to get more info on the future market thing though.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by lynx200(m): 8:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
I am liking how this conversation is developing especially the part on agriculture.Along with packaging I think logistics and storage would be good to invest in. Getting food to the final consumer is tough in Nigeria but if u go large scale, use crops that can yield a minimum of 5 tonnes per hectare (check IITA), can be harvested 3 times a year(with irrigation) and can be transported to d final consumers thereby cutting out most of the middleman(thought of aggregating demand from a large number of people and tru d net or SMS and transporting their food products in bulk to them, just thinking aloud here) u will be onto something. By d way can I come in? My email jovikool@gmail.com

4 Likes

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by ayankayode: 9:11pm On Jun 06, 2013
I see that the discussion is getting more interesting. I have done some research on different Crowdfunding models to find what fits into our environment considering our socio-economic structure especially to protect the investors and the interest of the entrepreneurs alike.

In dealing with associated risks, there are three concepts that come to mind

1. Funding for Start-ups or for established entities with track record requiring growth
2. Social Crowdfunding, Equity CrowdFunding or simply a brokerage model
3. Fiduciary and Regulatory requirements

It might be worthwhile to brainstorm on this concepts within our socio-economic context.

1 Like

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 10:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
For start we would keep it simple, nothing complex. Businesses that are certain to generate a profit and are expandable.

I am drawing up the discussions for our meet.

This would be done right.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 10:50pm On Jun 06, 2013
Oh boy!
Am loving this.
Our brainstorming session is going to be intense.
Valid points are being raised.

@lynx200
I definitely count you in and would love to talk with you some more along those lines.

@Ayankayode
Our country is different from the countries being used as a model in our discussions, and i have emphasised this.

1. I think for a start we would want to consider start ups that are not entirely novel but holds room for major improvement. I have a couple of projects in mind.
We would be looking to create new entities that can attract larger funds.

We would also be looking at businesses with a track record, but i think our focus should be in creating something from scratch.

2. Equity Crowd funding.

3. Fiduciary Regulations is where we would need to do our home work to make sure we are well within our legal boundaries.

We have got a lot of work to do.
We would have to do make sure investors feel safe by operating a transparent system that allows for close monitoring of the investment, and other innovations to keep investors safe.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by flexxzzy(m): 1:02am On Jun 07, 2013
Wow...dis is great... Send me the email to yungbizzy@live.com... Want to be a part to this
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 9:59am On Jun 07, 2013
Emails have been sent to the new people, a new mail would be sent to everyone soon.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Sunglow: 2:20pm On Jun 07, 2013
Its really so amazing d way pple are indicating their interest to be part of this project,it is very commendable.keep up the good work mr charcoalbalq.Am still following,so keep it coming.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Sunglow: 2:24pm On Jun 07, 2013
It's really so amazing the way pple are indicating their interest to be part of this project,its so commendable and encouraging,keep up the good work mr charcoalbalq,keep it coming am following
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 8:12am On Jun 08, 2013
Good morning.

Am sending out a second email.

We need to keep the discussion going towards the meeting that would be on the 15th of june.

So i am leaving my BB PIN here for those of us that still use the blackberry.

25FD8A90.

I have been working furiously towards the success of this initiative and am sure those who have indicated an interest in the survival of this concept have done their research too.

This is NOT just another thread on Nairaland where people talk big and do nothing, we must match our words with ACTION.

The platform we are about to create would give quite literally give life to a lot of people, ideas and possibilities, and would require firstly a great deal of belief in ones self. Because quite simply, if you dont believe in yourself, you would have a very hard time believing in anything else.

So thanks, and let us continue our discussion off the platform.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 08, 2013
Mornin Charcoalblaq, i have been observing this thread for sometime now and i can sense the sincerity and the burning desire to make this a reality, to be honest am really touched by your enthusiasm, pls count me in, here is my address
onyeka4001@yahoo.com
i expect ur mail, tnx

1 Like

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 10:33am On Jun 08, 2013
@domcarez.

Thanks a lot. I hope you would be fully involved in our cause.

I have sent a mail to your box, i hope for a reply soon.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 1:57pm On Jun 08, 2013
Am thinking whatsapp may be a better option.

Most people no longer use BB it seems.

Oh Blackberry!!!

Where art thy Glory
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by webizone(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2013
Hi Charcoablaq, I indicated my interest in a similar thread you started, but got no reply, I am re- instating my interest, so count me in, if you may. webizone@yahoo.com
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by flexxzzy(m): 2:48pm On Jun 08, 2013
charcoalblaq: Am thinking whatsapp may be a better option.

Most people no longer use BB it seems.

Oh Blackberry!!!

Where art thy Glory

LOLz...everything has its time and season.. Also i agree with that watsapp.. Everyone interested shuld add his/her phone number and then mr blaq.. Cr8 a whatsapp group whose ONLY members shuld b d ones interested...u'll b d administrator as u b d ones to add.... Its a platform for us to know each other INDIVIDUALLY
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 2:55pm On Jun 08, 2013
I agree with that. Number noted.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by debollini(m): 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2013
Hi Charcoalblag,

Just seeing this thread, really surprise something like this is in peoples mind even here in Niger, we are definitely like minded, check out BOLSTR, its crowdfunding too and i have being working with their model for some time now, still trying to reframe and tinker with some ideas hard thing to do alone, which makes me very happy seeing you going public with it, courage that i do not have.

Let us all get together and fine tune things, i hope that the fire has not petered out, seeing that the last post was way too far in may, kindly update me, mail box at dogboja@yahoo.com

respect.
Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by charcoalblaq(m): 7:44pm On Jun 08, 2013
Join the discussion on whatsapp. A few more spots are open before we are closed to the public and go into activity mode.

@Debolini.

Love the enthusiasm and shared spirit. I however posted today. Would send you an email.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 08, 2013
I don't know but I felt wet around my eyes seeing the burning desire we all possess as Nigerians, Our strive, Our Hope, Our Drive, Our strength but all against all Odds. If only the government will create budding platform and policies that will serve as the launch pad for innovative enterprises. I see no reason why we can't be a 1st world country in a few years time.

Take China for instance...

But I love my Nigerian spirit- we are Nigerians and we never give up, we are die hard warriors!

2 Likes

Re: Crowd Funding In Nigeria. Intelligent minds, lets discuss. by morzook(m): 10:12pm On Jun 08, 2013
can crowdfunding work in a country like ours? i seriously doubt it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Do You Retrieve Your Money From A Serial Onigbese? / Packaged Water Business / Innocent Chukwuma: EFCC's Fraud Charges Against Me Is Laughable & Pitiable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.