Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,686 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) (5161 Views)

Nigerian Railways Resumes Haulage Of Containers / Railways: Jonathan Lacked Vision –obasanjo / FG To Privatise Railways, Inland Waterways, 6 Others In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 28, 2013
Below are highlights of the massive transformation that had taken place in the rail transport system in the last 2yrs AND what to expect in the next 2yrs of the GEJ administration.

1 Restoration of the Lagos-kano narrow guage line. This is arguable the most significant achievement of the govt in this sector. This particular rail line was DEAD for over a decade but it came back to life December last year. Currently, only twice weekly train services is offered on this line but efforts are being made to offer daily train services to reduce congestion.

2 The eastern narrow guage rail line (Port-Harcourt-Enugu-Makurdi-Lafia-Jos-Gombe-Maiduguri) was DEAD but is now being revived. Ongoing works on is expected to be completed this year.

3 Inter-city passenger narrow guage train services have been introduced in Minna-Kaduna route, Kaduna-Kano route and Kano-Nguru route

4 Intra-city narrow guage train services are already operational in Lagos, Kaduna and Kano states.

5 The Abuja-Kaduna standard guage rail line has now reached 60% completion (up from 50% completion). The line will be completed late 2014. When completed, trains will move on the line at a speed of 150 to 170km per hour

6 The Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri standard guage rail line is still ongoing and will be completed by year end. Work on this line started in 1986 but for inexplicable reason, it has remained uncompleted since then. But the good news is that GEJ is here to complete it. Work has reached 70% completion rate. Some people erroneously thought the line was completed early this year but I can confirm that work is still ongoing. When completed, trains will move on the line at a speed of 150-170km per hour

7 The Lagos-Ibadan standard guage rail line was awarded late last year to a Chinese firm. But actual work is yet to commence because the fund for the project (about $1.5billion) is still being packaged. The project will be funded, about 30% from regular budget and 70% from Chinese bank loan. The loan is delaying the project. But actual work is expected to commence later this year.

8 Five fast train lines: the process of developing five fast train lines began late last year with the award of a N1.3billion contract for the design and preliminary works. These lines include:
- Lagos-Abuja fast train line (615km). When completed, it will be possible to travel from Lagos to Abuja and vice versa in 3hrs 30minutes.
- Lagos-Benin fast train line (about 300km)
- Ajaokuta-Abuja fast train line (about 533km)
- Zaria-Illela fast train line (520km)
- Benin-Onitsha-Aba fast train line (about 500km), with an offshoot from Onitsha to Enugu.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/fg-approves-n1-3bn-for-design-of-5-fast-train-lines/

The designs and other preliminary works for these fast train lines will be completed by September this year. Subsequently, the lines will be built under PPP.

By the way, how come the previous govts did NOTHING in this regard?

3 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 28, 2013
Goodluck Jonathan train, one of the trains dedicated to the Lagos-Kano line

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:34pm On May 28, 2013
Nigerians on the move by train

1 Like

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 28, 2013
And you are not ashamed of yourself to call what you displayed up there as train. In this age of modernization, you are displaying locomotive nonsense as train. It was Obasanjo who started this nonsense idea and approved the contract of this locomotive crap of a train that you are now celebrating. If you forgot, we stopped using the locomotive train in Nigeria back in the 1980s. Why do we have to continue to celebrate mediocrity in this country? Nigerians deserve better than this rubbish.

Below are the befitting trains Nigerians deserve:

8 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 28, 2013
Even the trains I just displayed are not regarded as modern because they were introduced about 15 years ago.
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 28, 2013
Nigerians waving bye bye to the ROT of the past, vowing NEVER to return to Egypt

5 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: A

This is a disgrace. Don't even let the international community see this.

7 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 28, 2013
More pictures

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 28, 2013
What about these pictures compare to the rubbish you are posting?

5 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 28, 2013
Kano, Zaria and Kaduna train stations along the Lagos-kano narrow guage line

2 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Garrithe1st: 9:11pm On May 28, 2013
Happy Democrazy day in advance..

cool
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 28, 2013
Ongoing works on the Abuja Rail mass transit. The contractwas awarded in May 2007 but contract commenced in May 2009. The project involves detailed design and construction of 45km of standard gauge double
track rail. Work is expected to be completed by first quarter 2015.

When completed the train is expected to move 2million people per day

1 Like

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 28, 2013
This is what we should accept from our government as train station.

2 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by homesteady(m): 9:30pm On May 28, 2013
Payless!! Why can't you be happy like those people in the train?? See how they are smiling!! They know it is a great thing GEJ has done for them!! At-least, this development has affected the common man!!
Those pictures you are posting!! Even South Africa - which is regarded economic power-house of africa don't hAve them!! Not even all european countries have them!! Even if Nigeria can afford it, do you. Know how long it would take for them to replace the rail-lines for this modern trains??
If GEJ did not do it, you people 'll talk!! Now he has done it, you are still talking!! Chai!! I'm so surprised that your type exists in this world!!

8 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 28, 2013
homesteady: Payless!! Why can't you be happy like those people in the train?? See how they are smiling!! They know it is a great thing GEJ has done for them!! At-least, this development has affected the common man!!
Those pictures you are posting!! Even South Africa - which is regarded economic power-house of africa don't hAve them!! Not even all european countries have them!! Even if Nigeria can afford it, do you. Know how long it would take for them to replace the rail-lines for this modern trains??
If GEJ did not do it, you people 'll talk!! Now he has done it, you are still talking!! Chai!! I'm so surprised that your type exists in this world!!

Nigeria deserve better than that. We should not be celebrating mediocrity. Would you be happy to see your kids bring home exam results showing D+ when other have results showing A+, B+? South Africa has better train system than the pictures I posted. If you want to see it I can post them.

4 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by otokx(m): 9:45pm On May 28, 2013
i can see some of the timelines are now in 2015, soon it will be 2017, then 2027, but its ok, we are Nigerians - champions in mediocrity, content in suffering and smilling.

Heard there has been no electricity in ALUU since 4am up till now.
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 28, 2013
payless:

Nigeria deserve better than that. We should not be celebrating mediocrity. Would you be happy to see your kids bring home exam results showing D+ when other have results showing A+, B+? South Africa has better train system than the pictures I posted. If you want to see it I can post them.
Woudnt you encourage your kids when they upgrade from an F grade to a D?

2 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by homesteady(m): 9:54pm On May 28, 2013
payless:

My dear!! South Africa still use locomotive trains!! I just saw it on the net now now!!
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 28, 2013
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 28, 2013
nvnnyz:
Woudnt you encourage your kids when they upgrade from an F grade to a D?

I won't give my kids impression that getting an F or D is is okay. When you give politicians the impression that it is okay to celebrate mediocrity, they will continue to give you mediocre services. It is high time we started to hold them responsible for their actions.

5 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by TheBookWorm: 10:02pm On May 28, 2013
It is better than having nothing.

The first step is to get functional trains on functional train tracks.

After that, then you can think about modernizing the trains. Remember Rome was not built in a day.

These trains are similar to the ones found in India, which has connected many regions from Northern India to Southern India. And those trains have been a boon to their economy.

2 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 28, 2013
homesteady:

My dear!! South Africa still use locomotive trains!! I just saw it on the net now now!!

If South Africans are using locomotive, does that mean we have to use locomotive? By the way, they use some locomotive and modern trains. Open the link below and see for yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+modern+trains+in+south+africa&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS463US466&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=IRulUdftIsPy0wH39YDYDA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=510
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 28, 2013
TheBookWorm: It is better than having nothing.

The first step is to get functional trains on functional train tracks.

After that, then you can think about modernizing the trains. Remember[b] Rome was not built in a day. [/b]

These trains are similar to the ones found in India, which has connected me regions from Northern India to Southern India.

Most trains in India are modern. Google trains in India and see for yourself. When you deserve bread, you don't settle for crumbs.
Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by TheBookWorm: 10:06pm On May 28, 2013
payless:

Most trains in India are modern. Google trains in India and see for yourself. When you deserve bread, you don't settle for crumbs.

I do not think you know what you are talking about.

These are some examples of trains in India.

[img]http://www.technologyreview.in/files/89424/india.power.outagex616.jpg[/img]

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 28, 2013

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by TheBookWorm: 10:13pm On May 28, 2013
payless: Delhi Metro train, India

How long did it take you to find that picture?

It is funny how some of you are expecting to see a Ferrari, when you can only afford an Impala. grin

6 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 28, 2013
TheBookWorm:

How long did it take you to find that picture?

It is funny how some of you are expecting to see a Ferrari, when you can only afford an Impala. grin

It didn't take me more than four minutes. It is past five here and I am still at work so don't expect me to be posting pictures in seconds. No one is expecting ferrari of train. At least, give Nigerians, Toyota Camry of a train.

2 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 28, 2013
@Payless is a mischief maker. He should be ignored.

By the way, if the past clueless leaders had done the basics, the current president would have taken it up from there. But since they did nothing, the current president would start from ground zero. Restore the narrow guage lines and gradually build fast trains. That is the sensible thing to do

4 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @Payless is a mischief maker who should be ignored.

By the way, if the past clueless leaders had done the basics, the current president would have taken it up from there. But since they did nothing, the current president would start from ground zero. Restore the narrow guage line and gradually build fast trains. That is the sensible thing to do

I am not blaming Jonathan alone. Obasanjo was the one who introduced and made part payment on this crap of a train. WE deserve better than this.

1 Like

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 28, 2013
payless:

I am not blaming Jonathan alone. Obasanjo was the one who introduced and made part payment on this crap of a train. WE deserve better than this.
What about Buhari? How much "part payment" did he make to ensure restoration of train services?

See I dont have time for silly endless debates. You'r obviously here to derail this thread with silly and baseless submissions.

5 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 28, 2013
What is worth doing is worth doing well...

2 Likes

Re: Transformation Of Nigerian Railways: Mid-term Progress Report (With Pictures) by Nobody: 10:54pm On May 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
What about Buhari? How much "part payment" did he make to ensure restoration of train services?

See I dont have time for silly endless debates. You'r obviously here to derail this thread with silly and baseless submissions.

What are you talking about? Buhari's government was overthrown during the time when the whole world was still using locomotive trains; including Nigeria. Buhari is no more in government, so we cannot judge him on the train service introduced and paid for by Obasanjo and being implemented by Jonathan.

No one is derailing your thread. I am here to keep you straight.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Withdraw From Presidential Race Now! Sheikh Gumi Warns Buhari / Fg Finally Scraps Hnd / Who Is The Best Nigerian President - 1999 To 2017 "SEE VOTES"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.