Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) (848 Views)

Linux And Hp Eva Storage / Needed A Smart Guide With Good Skills In Linux And C Programming Language / Linux And Open Source Forums For Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by kambo(m): 12:25am On May 29, 2013
Windows won market share to become the dominant os of today based on the followng tips..
hope the linux commnity learn from the wise sages @ ms!!

1.) keep it simple
-----------------
b4 windows operating systems had a geeky feel to it. if u werent intelligent a bit u cudnt get far .
windows took all that work away for the lay user.
Windows doesnt use ugly queer words as command parameters..
I remember encountering the word 'sudo' wen tinkering with ubuntu linux . i cudnt go further bcs i didnt
know what 'sudo' meant. how was i to know?!

2.) keep it visual/graphical:
A picture is worth a thousand words. windows put pictures and graphic objects over ugly
dos interfaces. Unix , etc wud never have been usable without this concept.
More lay users cud identify with pictures than terminals. one mor plus for windows..
Apple rode the wave even further and stole the fashionistas that wantd computers..
while unix like systems were slobbering over the power of their different shell's
windows was putting some mittens over the whole dos interface...
The average pc user wud never want to go back to some 'shell' after they saw a hard drive icon, again..

3.) keep it lazy
-----------------
point and click has made computing and using a computer much more convenient than typing commands...
this killd desire for geeky os's completely and lockd in market share for windows..
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by guru01(m): 7:06pm On May 29, 2013
True talk.
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 29, 2013
You must be ignorant of the fact that Linux Distros uses GUI, oh this response was typed from Ubuntu
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by lordZOUGA(m): 10:39pm On May 29, 2013
mac and ubuntu linux has better looking GUI than wndows OS
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by talk2hb1(m): 11:32pm On May 29, 2013
Unfortunately for Microsoft this is the beginning of the post PC era, Microsoft is declaring loss every day on their PC platform cry cry cry, Why? Because everything is going mobile and into the cloud where Microsoft have lesser control. Linux is the order of the day Android and on the server side too Linux is still the reigning champion. Nobody wants a beautiful interface on the server side with poor performance, functionality comes first, then beautiful intuitive interface.
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by kambo(m): 12:16am On Jun 07, 2013
the very idea of making d computer graphcally driven was popularised by ms. in its day contemporary os'es were text/console drven (cp/m unix etc)
and very geeky. Wtout ths simplifcation its doubtful tht d computer today wud hav been as large as it is.

Linux was and still is a geek toy , too complicated 4 d average lay man. I dropped ubuntu cuz i cudnt get past 'sudo'. Yeah u cud map d wrd 2 simpler english but y d complication in d frst place. Installg software, uninstalling, etc even installg new windws os is such a breeze cf 2 linux. Other oses may b comg out of their cryptic caves but simplicity was never an after tot 2 windws.
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by zion32(m): 4:22am On Jun 07, 2013
kambo:

1.) keep it simple
-----------------
b4 windows operating systems had a geeky feel to it. if u werent intelligent a bit u cudnt get far .
windows took all that work away for the lay user.
Windows doesnt use ugly queer words as command parameters..
I remember encountering the word 'sudo' wen tinkering with ubuntu linux . i cudnt go further bcs i didnt
know what 'sudo' meant. how was i to know?!
Sudo neans Superuser do(whatever commannd)but,i still dont want to believe sudo chased you out of linux,besides ubuntu is one of the most easy to use linux distros.
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by kambo(m): 1:36pm On Jun 07, 2013
^^ it did.
my drive which was dual hosting windows and xp also got into a mess. i couldnt
recover a partition that was created by linux.. i read thru a for dummies book on ubuntu
and gat no help, so i quit. reformatted the system,reinstalled windows and bid linux good riddance.
little quirks like those put off a prospective user .
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2013
Well linux to me is way awesome than windows especially if you are a power user of systems, all my dev tools work flawlessly on linux than M$
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by lordZOUGA(m): 3:41pm On Jun 07, 2013
pc guru: Well linux to me is way awesome than windows especially if you are a power user of systems, all my dev tools work flawlessly on linux than M$
that's true. I once tried building Boost C++ libraries on windows using mingw compiler. it was a nightmare.
but on linux, just configure and make install. everything became alright.
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 07, 2013
Sorry guys anything about Redhat Linux want the software pls i want to install with a VM ware
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 07, 2013
lordZOUGA:
that's true. I once tried building Boost C++ libraries on windows using mingw compiler. it was a nightmare.
but on linux, just configure and make install. everything became alright.
Running C++,Python and especially NodeJS has never been easier especially now using Sublime text editor, am sure Sublime never had windows in mind, setting up PHPUnit on Windows with sublime was a fucking nightmare but on Ubuntu simple. me i prefer Linux because some stuff on PHP you want to work on such as exec some Linux code from PHP or CronJobs, you can practice with Linux but now with M$
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by bb6xt(m): 3:36pm On Jun 08, 2013
If u are a programmer u are much better of with a *nix based system unless u are a .NET programmer (even that can be done with MonoDevelop!). Personally I can't do without opening a couple of tabs in my terminal (Konsole) even if I just want to listen to music and this has nevr bn an issue. I hardly use Muon Software Center or Muon Package Manager but would rather use apt-get or even dpkg if am feeling really badass. The unix/linux way is simplity at its finest, whats more, it gives u absolute control! But its not for everyone. However, if u r a programmer (not .NET) and don't use linux/unix u r missing a great deal. In fact, u r on a looong thiinggg!
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by zion32(m): 10:38pm On Jun 08, 2013
donpere: Sorry guys anything about Redhat Linux want the software pls i want to install with a VM ware
Red hat is an enterprise linux distro and its more difficult to manage or use especially if you are new with linux.As a newbie i will suggest you install ubuntu first.Secondly you can download red hat on their webpage as .iso file and install via vm ware.
Re: Lessons Windows Taught Linux (and Other Os'es) by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 23, 2013
Have already installed it using a VMware

(1) (Reply)

How To Download Subway Surfers On PC? / Windows Explorer Is Restarting/stopped Working / My Laptop Has A Virus!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.