Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS (28494 Views)

The Toll Booths At The New Ikoyi Link Bridge.pics / Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge / Lekki - Ikoyi Link Bridge Construction Update - July 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by ba7man(m): 11:21am On May 30, 2013
ZACHIE:

Village life is a peaceful life and we live within our means
We do not make a comparison with other people,s meals. Our meal is enough for us, one family at a time.
You will think England is your father,s stead.
even besides that, do we have the same earning power as The England you are comparing us to?
See this for an average hardworking Lagosian that is forced to take that Bridge each working day, he must cough out 600/day, which translates 12,000/Month and 144,000 per annum if he must use a bridge built his commonwealth money.

Is it by force to use the bridge There is a cheaper tolled route and a free route. If you can't afford it, drive past it, admire it and go take the cheaper or free route!!! What's so hard to understand there??

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by ZACHIE: 11:29am On May 30, 2013
Class inequality in social infrastructure?? i am learning
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by naptu2: 11:35am On May 30, 2013
berem: @ naptu, am very angry with the moderators for their refusal to move that inspirational thread to front page after pleading with them to do so. So much could be learnt from that story but instead they prefer to put Tonto Dike frying akara or MC Weird not getting married on front page. smh

https://www.nairaland.com/1306519/make-n5000-daily-street-kid#15958710

I just sent a message to the supermod. Hopefully it will get there.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by naptu2: 11:42am On May 30, 2013
I forgot, in the speech the governor also said that the construction of the bridge was an opportunity for knowledge sharing. He said representatives from the Nigerian Society of Engineers and students from engineering colleges (he mentioned them, but I've forgotten the names) inspected the project and were part of the different stages of the construction of the bridge.

By the way, I think we'll actually have a fourth mainland bridge before the Badore-Ikorodu bridge, because I think the Lagoon Bridge will be completed before then.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Ufeolorun(m): 11:55am On May 30, 2013
Billyonaire:
The Bridge is beautiful and we should thank Fashola for putting on a thinking cap and making use of the "Federal Allocation" and "IGR" to build this bridge, but I totally disapprove the high cost of toll at that Bridge, the aim is defeated by such imposition because, it means, that only the rich like myself can afford to ply that bridge, while the poor people like Eko Ile can only trek across it. I also thank the Federal Government, for allowing Lagos State to build this bridge across her waters without litigation. Fashola should also channel his efforts to Ajegunle, Makoko and the rest of the slumps of Lagos, and alter the dirt constellating those axis of the poor and needy, so that the poor people can feel the presence of the Government.
You are becoming a Nui...... around here mae.Stop prancing around aimlessly,squarepants grin grin
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 30, 2013
ba7man: Is it by force to use the bridge There is a cheaper tolled route and a free route. If you can't afford it, drive past it, admire it and go take the cheaper or free route!!! What's so hard to understand there??

Most of them have absolutely nothing or no reason whatsoever to use the bridge

...its all about negatively painting the govt laudable achievements even when there is no obvious reason to do such..
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by ekoilee: 12:06pm On May 30, 2013
soledayo:
What do you mean? Why do i pay tax? It was built with tax payers money and not by any private firm.

You don't have to get on that bridge to enjoy the effects of your tax money because what other people are paying for using this bridge funds other government programs and responsibilities like schools, hospitals, roads, utilities and so on....

Btw, you still have free access to other tax payer funded routes and alternates... .
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Demdem(m): 12:22pm On May 30, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Ajumobi is commissioning, Fashola is commissioning, jonathan is delivering speech.

I love this democracy.

Classic. grin grin
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by ZACHIE: 12:29pm On May 30, 2013
ilugunboy:

...its all about negatively painting the govt laudable achievements even when there is no obvious reason to do such..

So we should all be mute if we do not patronize the bridge? What about the indigent few who will patronise the bridge but cannot speak up? Today it is their turn, next it will be yours.

Democracy dies when we all choose to me mute, deaf and dumb
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Nobody: 12:47pm On May 30, 2013
ZACHIE:

So we should all be mute if we do not patronize the bridge? What about the indigent few who will patronise the bridge but cannot speak up? Today it is their turn, next it will be yours.

Democracy dies when we all choose to me mute, deaf and dumb

You still don't get it...do you?

The so called indigents have other alternatives...it's not a MUST they use the bridge.

Those that pay over a thousand Naira daily at the Tarzan jetty for daily crossing to the other side via ferry won't complain.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by ba7man(m): 1:01pm On May 30, 2013
ilugunboy:

You still don't get it...do you?

The so called indigents have other alternatives...it's not a MUST they use the bridge.

Those that pay over a thousand Naira daily at the Tarzan jetty for daily crossing to the other side via ferry won't complain.
I even think its the operators of the Tarzan Jetty that should be here complaining because they've just given their patrons a far cheaper means of avoiding traffic.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by naptu2: 1:02pm On May 30, 2013
The indigent few? Obviously you do not know my neighbourhood. The indigent few do not have cars, so they'll use commercial buses. Commercial buses have never been allowed into Lekki Phase 1 (at least not since 1993 when I started monitoring things here). Taxis are not allowed in after 6pm. Commercial buses use the alternative route (toll free) or the expressway (cheaper tolls).
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 30, 2013
ba7man: I even think its the operators of the Tarzan Jetty that should be here complaining because they've just given their patrons a far cheaper means of avoiding traffic.

That is just it!

I bet..most of these people shouting hoarse here don't even know a jack about the objectives of building that bridge in the first place.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Emmykeyz(m): 2:53pm On May 30, 2013
I'm sure if it wasn't tolled the danfo drivers would pass there to escape Lekki toll! Imagine danfo traffic inside phase 1 lol
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 30, 2013
Emmykeyz: I'm sure if it wasn't tolled the danfo drivers would pass there to escape Lekki toll! Imagine danfo traffic inside phase 1 lol

With the attendant nuisances they will come along with... cheesy grin
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Chillypelly(m): 6:09pm On May 30, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Ajumobi is commissioning, Fashola is commissioning, jonathan is delivering speech.

I love this democracy.

Ajimobi is comissioning a super-suspended wooden bench not a bridge... Effect the correction immediately.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by ba7man(m): 6:28pm On May 30, 2013
ilugunboy:

With the attendant nuisances they will come along with... cheesy grin
Those Danfo drivers gotta bring their Gala, Paraga, cigarette, kolanut selling girlfriends along. And they'll be emergency bustops, hold-ups and soon a small market will pop-up in Lekki Phase 1. Fashola will then get pissed and clear em out........Which will lead us back to dudes opening threads on Nairaland saying "Fashola is anti-poor" and "Fashola declares war on the poor".

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Gbawe: 6:38pm On May 30, 2013
ilugunboy:

Correct .... and that makes this forum tediously repetitive and imbecilic when it should be an arena of ideas. In 2011, members of Nigeriavillagesquare.com, a Nigerian blog site like Nairaland, were busy interviewing Buhari, Ribadu , Momodu et al while this place was bogged down in pettiness.

Some of us would certainly wish this forum develop optimally as an arena of ideas but this will not happen till there is a consistent and united effort to shut down ethnic bigots, nuisance posters and worthless spammers who never have anything positive to contribute to discussions.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by EkoIle1: 6:38pm On May 30, 2013
Chillypelly:

Ajimobi is comissioning a super-suspended wooden bench not a bridge... Effect the correction immediately.

Chillypelly:

Will you shout up there midget!!! Lagos is under the foot of the Igbos when our investments are to be considered. Outside Lagos every other city in the west is an abandoned project. If you are sincere you will agree that outside the federal capital city status that developed Lagos, Onisha has the largest commercial cluster in west and central africa. Interestingly Lagos was single handedly developed by the resilience of the Igbos.

With the kind of ignorant, empty and shallow quote above, I see your pain especially not getting even the same wooden bench after begging for 30 years for a common river gather bridge.

Sucks to be you people... smh..

1 Like

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by naptu2: 6:43pm On May 30, 2013
Latest update: There's a crowd of young people at the office beside the bridge. I think they are hiring toll collectors.

They are working on the canal at the end of Admiralty Road (the junction between Admiralty Road and Itedo Street). That section of Admiralty Road has been closed to traffic, but you can go around it by taking the last turning on the right. I think they want to extend the canal to the lagoon.

There was a New Towns Development Authority pickup truck on Itedo Street with lots of policemen in it. Someone in the truck was making an announcement over a loudspeaker, telling owners of shacks, stalls and shanties that had been built on the road setback to relocate because the task force would come at a later time to demolish everything on the road setback. I gathered that they've been making this same announcement for about a week now. Some people had already started dismantling their shops. I guess they want to expand and fix the road (portions of that road are in a terrible state). Remember that, during the commissioning, the governor said that they would fix the road behind the third roundabout so that motorists from Ajah would be able to use the bridge, rather than using the expressway.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by olafolarin(m): 7:44pm On May 30, 2013
FASHOLA is running Lagos ,the way Nigeria should be run.
Lagos has population, high-income areas,low income areas etc.
With Beach,banks,fun spots all clustered in and around Island.
Fashola is harnessing accruable resources from these areas to
take care of low-income areas like Mushin.
Conveniency services like the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge is being
tolled to recoup investment and increase thet state's IGR.

If GEJ can be such business-minded, refineries will be built to
discourage fuel importation and its attendant subsidy fraud.

Lagos-Ibadan and other important highways will be expanded with
light rail in the middle and tolled to recoup investment.

All IOCs in the country will be forced to pay tax as is being
done in their respective countries.

Our dependence on Oil revenue would have reduced drastically
opening new ways of revenue accrual to the Govt.

6 Likes

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by apostleb: 8:31pm On May 30, 2013

cheesy[color=#006600][/color]its fyn
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by EkoIle1: 8:42pm On May 30, 2013
naptu2: Latest update: There's a crowd of young people at the office beside the bridge. I think they are hiring toll collectors.

They are working on the canal at the end of Admiralty Road (the junction between Admiralty Road and Itedo Street). That section of Admiralty Road has been closed to traffic, but you can go around it by taking the last turning on the right. I think they want to extend the canal to the lagoon.

There was a New Towns Development Authority pickup truck on Itedo Street with lots of policemen in it. Someone in the truck was making an announcement over a loudspeaker, telling owners of shacks, stalls and shanties that had been built on the road setback to relocate because the task force would come at a later time to demolish everything on the road setback. I gathered that they've been making this same announcement for about a week now. Some people had already started dismantling their shops. I guess they want to expand and fix the road (portions of that road are in a terrible state). Remember that, during the commissioning, the governor said that they would fix the road behind the third roundabout so that motorists from Ajah would be able to use the bridge, rather than using the expressway.

Wonderful update...

@ demolition...

Still wont stop people from crying that they didn't get any warning before demolition..
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by vickkyspassion: 11:05pm On May 30, 2013
shocked This is WOW,Eko o ni baje o!
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Chillypelly(m): 11:10pm On May 30, 2013
Eko Ile:

With the kind of ignorant, empty and shallow quote above, I see your pain especially not getting even the same wooden bench after begging for 30 years for a common river gather bridge.

Sucks to be you people... smh..

You remind me of the ugly days of the apartheid struggle. I will sincerely advise that you do us a favour by going into extinction cos your nuisance outweighs your relevance... Just a polite advise.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by mbhs139(m): 11:25pm On May 30, 2013
olafolarin: FASHOLA is running Lagos ,the way Nigeria should be run.
Lagos has population, high-income areas,low income areas etc.
With Beach,banks,fun spots all clustered in and around Island.
Fashola is harnessing accruable resources from these areas to
take care of low-income areas like Mushin.

that's more like it; at the bolded
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by EkoIle1: 11:48pm On May 30, 2013
Chillypelly:

Y[s]ou remind me of the ugly days of the apartheid struggle. I will sincerely advise that you do us a favour by going into extinction cos your nuisance outweighs your relevance... Just a polite advise.[/s]

Chillypelly:

Will you shout up there midget!!! Lagos is under the foot of the Igbos when our investments are to be considered. Outside Lagos every other city in the west is an abandoned project. If you are sincere you will agree that outside the federal capital city status that developed Lagos, Onisha has the largest commercial cluster in west and central africa. Interestingly Lagos was single handedly developed by the resilience of the Igbos.

With the above kind of rhetoric, disgusting and despicable clowns like you really shouldn't be talking talking...

Please make yourself useful and go beg for some village river bridge.....
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by naptu2: 2:44am On May 31, 2013
Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge

1 Like

Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by Chillypelly(m): 5:23am On May 31, 2013
Eko Ile:

With the above kind of rhetoric, disgusting and despicable clowns like you really shouldn't be talking talking...

Please make yourself useful and go beg for some village river bridge.....

Dont forget taking your laxative suppository before going to bed lest we hear stories that touch.
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by naptu2: 6:08am On May 31, 2013
porka: Bravo to Governor Fashola and his team.

This is commendable.

One thing our politicians should emulate in the military projects is expansiveness.

It's worrying for instance that this bridge is only four-lane.

Imagine that the Third Mainland Bridge commissioned in the 1990s is eight-lane.

It cuts across all states in Nigeria, politicians only built small/tiny infrastructure only for the population to increase rapidly and render them inadequate.

Bravo though.

The Lekki Expressway is an eight lane expressway. The toll free alternative route has 4 lanes in some sections (eg Water Corporation Drive, Oba Yesufu Oniru Road) and two lanes in some sections (New Market Road). The bridge is a premium bridge meant to reduce pressure on those two access ways. The main access way will still be the expressway. The bridge is just an alternative (that's why it has higher tolls than the expressway). It doesn't need to have more than four lanes (bear in mind that there's also the people and car ferry and the green line will be built in some year's time).
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by johnie: 5:32pm On May 31, 2013
I tried to use the bridge to beat the terrible go-slow at Rewane/Kingsway Road on my way to Lekki last night.

To my shock (and am sure many other 'smart-alecs' like myself), the bridge was closed!

Is it fully open now?
Re: Fashola Commissions Lekki-ikoyi Link Bridge. PICS by johnie: 5:38pm On May 31, 2013
naptu2: I forgot. He also said the bridge will be opened to the public on June 1st, when the tents and other things used during the commissioning would have been removed[/i].

I just saw this now.

[i]Na so the party sweet reach?

grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Katsina North By-election: Official Results As Declared By INEC / Photos Of Baby Totally Disfigured After Boko Haram Attack - Burnt Face And Eye / Dolapo Osinbajo Cuts Her Birthday Cake With Husband, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.