Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,366 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (125558 Views)

'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane / Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 4:53am On May 30, 2013
My name is Kingsley Obinna, Aka Pakingzzz.
A student of Michael Opkara University of Agriculture. Currently studying Mathematics.... Enough of the introduction about me...

CONTACT DETAILS.
email: kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com

I am currently bulding a homebuilt radio control helicopter...]The helicopter weighs 950grams including the battery.

One problem most people often have,trying to building a pratical model helicopter is: the ability to get certain critical parts....
I want to show them how to bypass that.
If you want to bypass my method,then you must have some sound idea about design ideas,design theories,design problems,mechanics,fabrication and having an idea of material structural strength.
[/color]
In my design,i am using a model Airhogs bluesky airplane Tx and Rx.
The Tx is a 2.4ghz,and has a micro camera embedded in the receiver.. According to the manual,it could take up to 100 pictures and a 5 minute length video.

The Tx functions just like a mode 2 Tx,where the throttle is on the left and aileron is on the right.
Each joystick has one axis of movement(an unusable feature for heli control). So i disoldered it and replaced it with a Playstation joystick. I did this that i can have a joystick with 2 axis .
This airhog Rx was built to drive a micro motor that ran at 3.2v,and drew 1amps.
I wanted it to drive a motor that draws about 15amps at 12v with it. I knew this impossible without destroying the mosfet in the Rx.
I simply built an amplifier to amplify the 3.2v to 12v,and the current as well.
I also buit a little Bec for the Rx.

At first,when i connected the Rx to the Bec,it wouldn't pair with the Tx. I suspected there where alot of interference coming from the main motor,and disturbing the reception. I soldered a diode to the output of the Bec and the problem was solved.

THE MAIN BLADES

I built the helicopter blades, from a strip of baton board or ceiling batton stick,(i dont know what you call yours).
It was hand carved. You have to have a ton of patience doing this,and love it as well.
Mind you,these batons are unsymmetrical in their dispersion of weight. You would have to balance your blades statically and dynamically,else your heli will never fly.

As with the blade, all other parts are mostly custom built.
The construction of the blade holder or rotor head,was done,using light aluminuim sheets.
If you have any question,you can do so here,or contact me via my email kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 7:07am On May 30, 2013
Wen u done, let me know; by d way how can I help?

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:32am On May 30, 2013
Raymondenyi: Wen u done, let me know; by d way how can I help?

you can help me with any laptop battery brand. Thats what's going to power the heli. The one i have is deteriorated.

THE FABRICATION PROCESS

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Samsantos9: 8:54pm On Jun 03, 2013
Pls i wanna learn how to do it what is your website?

4 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Samsantos9: 8:57pm On Jun 03, 2013
Pls what is your website?
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DDon11: 2:00pm On Jun 04, 2013
It won't fly, u need a special motor, and the body must be light weight
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 3:16pm On Jun 04, 2013
D Don1: It won't fly, u need a special motor, and the body must be light weight
i have done that experiment in 2012, and it lifted a weight of 900gms up. What dissuaded me was the fact that i used toy car remote control running at 100Mhz and a homebuilt servo,which i constructed using a wall clock innard. They happen to be very slow at response. I understand you need a special motor,ok. That's far-fetched i guess. But you can turn any useless motor into a special one,if you have the know-how,and that's no skin off my nose. What was real work enough was,constructing the rotor head system out of aluminium sheet,and make them symmetrical as can be.

CONTINUATION OF THE FABRICATION PROCESS

10 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by DDon11: 5:37pm On Jun 04, 2013
I admire your skills, keep it up

4 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:19pm On Jun 04, 2013
CHISELING OUT THE SEESAW HINGE

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Heatblast(m): 7:29pm On Jun 05, 2013
wow... great job, I've been trying to make one ever since i was a kid(i built like 19 different prototypes back then but they never did fly) even now I still wanna make one that would fly, can you please give me the details or write an instructable on it?, i'll be grateful.

PS: hope you've gotten the battery you needed?

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
SAWING OUT THE (SEESAW BLADEHOLDER) OUT FROM THE SHEET!

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by sanandreas(m): 7:19pm On Jun 08, 2013
Good one i will follow this topic. U are innovative

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by onomedavid(m): 5:05pm On Jun 09, 2013
Nice,i'll advise that u get in touch with the airforce institute of technology (AFIT) Kaduna as they are been repositioned to start manufacturing aircraft part's.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by remmyz(m): 5:35am On Jun 10, 2013
inbox me. I can design Ur website for free...tesleem@teesoftconsults.com

17 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
CONTINUATION

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Samsantos9: 8:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
Pakingzzz:
I'm still editing my website,trying to upload all the photos of my construction. I'll post the link when am done with all the photos and necessary enplanations.

ok cool,
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by james1(m): 5:34am On Jun 23, 2013
this is what genius is made of!if only you can get like minds and funds;there is no extent to what you can achieve technologically,keep it up and by the way,any updates on progress made so far?

5 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by kingofpool: 7:04pm On Jun 24, 2013
Pakingzzz: I am currently bulding a homebuilt radio control helicopter. It weighs 950grams including the battery. All its part are mostly custom built,safe for its transmitter and receiver which i bought. You can check my website if your interested. Meanwhile, thos pix will show you the working process, begining with the construction of the blade holder or rotor head,down to the construction of the blade...... If you have any questions you can email me via kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com
.....bro i ll like to contact u about it...i ll like to help too

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 10:57pm On Jun 25, 2013
MORE.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by 1bunne4lif(m): 7:18am On Jun 26, 2013
Keep it up bro.
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Sidajili: 9:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
@Pakingzzz:

I like your courage and I would be contributing to your project by donating a full range DSM 2.4GHZ Tx/RX to support you. PM me to make arrangments.

Continue this project and consider the following:

1. Use Lithium Polymer for your power source.
2. Use Brushless Motors and a proper speed controller.
3. forget canopy or beauty for now and first get the aerodynamics right and a sustained flight we all can see.
4. Get your center of gravity right and pay attention to the fly bar.
5. Consider using pre-made composite blades, do not waste time making wood props for the heli.
6. You will need to learn about heli control boards and gyros. No need giving the pilot too much work trying to stabilize the heli with the sticks... believe me too man factors will affect the stabiity. We pilots don't like too much work... its a headache grin
7. Visit heli forums and expand your views. It will help.
8. Do not be discouraged if it crashes. Its part of the learning process.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:53am On Aug 30, 2013
@Sidajili.
I am very grateful to your donations.

Below are sme pix i took during remodification of a motor i salvaged from a computer printer. I had to do this modification because i wasn't satisfied with the speed(Kv) of the motor.
I removed the casing and inspected it. It had 36 turns of copper wire.
I carefully loosed the windings. So i use a bigger gauge copper wire,and gave it 12 turns each.
This modification turned the motor into a hot little monster. I was later to remodify it again,when i needed more power. And this time,i went as low as 8 turns each. I don'nt have to tell you how hot it and powerful it now runs. But not without a price. A little fan was mounted with a shroud to cool the motor. Below are some pix,during the winding of the motor.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Sidajili: 9:37am On Aug 30, 2013
You are welcome. Let me know what size servos you need and the exact amps of the ESC required. Please change the motor to a brushless type.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 11:24pm On Aug 30, 2013
@Sidajili
Please,i'll need these specs of motor.
MOTOR POWER; 150watt,
MOTOR SHAFT DIA.; 2mm,
MAX CURRENT; 15 TO 20AMPS
MAX VOLTAGE; 11.1V OR 12V.

CONTINUATION.....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:41pm On Sep 04, 2013
STILL ON THE FABRICATION PROCESS..

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 9:49pm On Sep 04, 2013
INSTALLING THE UPPER SEESAW ROTORHEAD..

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 05, 2013
Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 6:52am On Sep 05, 2013
@Preboy
Can i see some pix,so i'll know how to help out?

CONTINUATION....

1 Share

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:34am On Sep 05, 2013
MORE.....

2 Likes

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:41am On Sep 05, 2013
FABRICATING THE LINKAGE ROD HINGE....

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Pakingzzz(m): 7:48am On Sep 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 05, 2013
I would have posted shots if I had any. I just did a test run with aluminum blades and a DVD player rotor ( it was the only 1 I could find), and d contraption didn't lift a centimeter so I gave up hope. so u guys can 1st help me with transforming my DVD player rotor to a gud one( rewinding) and name of a gud battery. tanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Download First Touch Soccer 2017 ( FTS 17) Apk And Data File / Secret Code To Listen To Another Person Call 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.