Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:34 AM

Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos (19028 Views)

Cargo Train derails from track in Kaduna [photos] / Presidential Poll: How Jonathan, Ahmadu Ali Averted Crisis- Vanguard / Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Itohen: 4:19pm On May 30, 2013
Tragedy was on Wednesday averted in the commercial city of Lagos when a section of a trainreturning from Ijoko to its base at Ebutte-Metta missed its tracks at Agege.

The incident which occurred at about 12.30am was said to have been caused by defective tracks.

An employee of the National Railway Corporation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that the driver of the locomotive also shared the blame in the accident.

He said, “The rails were not aligned properly; there was a gap between them which ought not to be. It so happened that the driver who was driving the locomotive, was moving at a high speed. When he ran into the improperly laid rails, the locomotive was thrown off the rails.

“Although the driver was hurt, the injuries are not life threatening. The accident could have been avoided though if he wasn’t speeding. Both the
driver and those responsible for laying the tracks, will be sanctioned.”

It was gathered that as at 4pm on Wednesday, employees of the NRC were still at the scene battling to get the locomotive back on the rails with the aid of a crane while a few metres away, other employees worked at fixing the rails which had been damaged by the accident.

Confirming the incident, Spokesperson for the NRC in Lagos, Mr. Adekanbi said that the cause of the accident was unknown.

In his words, “I am not at the scene right now, so I cannot tell you if the cause of the accident were the rails. We have our own methods of handling such situations.

“At the moment, all we are doing is trying to get the locomotive back on the rails so that it can be moved away. The cause of the accident is unknown, and the driver is unhurt.

“It is when we are able to get the locomotive back on the rails that we can say what caused the accident. However, it is a minor accident.”

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/05/30/tragedy-averted-as-train-derails-in-lagos/

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 30, 2013
Thank God no one was seriously hurt. However, this sort of reports, though it came when an accident happened, reminds us that good things are happening all over the country. The trains are moving people and goods on a daily basis. People are spending less on transport, courtesy the trains. Yes, the govt can and should do more

13 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by baby124: 4:57pm On May 30, 2013
^^^

grin grin grin cheesy
Speedy criticism management cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 30, 2013
He said, “The rails were not aligned properly; there was a gap between them which ought not to be. It so happened that the driver who was driving the locomotive, was moving at a high speed. When he ran into the improperly laid rails, the locomotive was thrown off the rails.

Someone probably bought less of those rail track components than was required, in an apparent attempt to cut corners and pocket the rest of the money released.

How typical.

7 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by baby124: 5:07pm On May 30, 2013
HNosegbe:

Someone probably bought less of those rail track components than was required, in an apparent attempt to cut corners and pocket the rest of the money released.

How typical.

Exactly on point.
Sincere 9gerian: Thank God no one was seriously hurt. However, this sort of reports, though it came when an accident happened, reminds us that good things are happening all over the country. The trains are moving people and goods on a daily basis. People are spending less on transport, courtesy the trains. Yes, the govt can and should do more

You mean the government should hand over the contract to competent people, and employ people who are competent to inspect the work done. cheesy. I think who ever had the contract to do the work should be fined, and required to go back to do a thorough job. Just admit failure in who the government employed. Who knows how many more types of disasters like this with casualties are about to happen. The old tracks never gave this type of problem.
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 30, 2013
Dem don ride am die

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Okijajuju: 5:19pm On May 30, 2013
Jehovah...

shocked shocked

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by firstolalekan(m): 5:38pm On May 30, 2013
hey chinekemeeeeeeeeeeeeeh cry cry cry
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by yuzedo: 5:39pm On May 30, 2013
Huh?! dey have train in Nigerian??!?? shocked BIG LIE!!! angry undecided
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:43pm On May 30, 2013
This kind train ehn.... grin
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by chris365(m): 5:44pm On May 30, 2013
Thank God nobody died. And before you people start criticizing, trains derail all over the world - even the high speed ones. It's a normal accident dat can happen at anytime.

2 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by bingbagbo(m): 5:45pm On May 30, 2013
signs of the end times cry cry cry cry cry :'(

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by FindOut(m): 5:45pm On May 30, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Thank God no one was seriously hurt. However, this sort of reports, though it came when an accident happened, reminds us that good things are happening all over the country. The trains are moving people and goods on a daily basis. People are spending less on transport, courtesy the trains. Yes, the govt can and should do more

Abeg, dont tell us that one. Those trains plying that route have been moving since or even before OBJ was in power. It wasnt courtesy of GEJ & besides its not something to brag about. By the way, since you've turned this to a political matter, do you mind telling us why we have defective tracks that have probably not been inspected/maintained by the NRC in ages?

Other countries like India there (that has since left Nigeria behind in advancement even tho we have the potential to be greater than them) are celebrating 10 years of the metro system (air conditioned electric trains plus underground stations) in Delhi +adjoining towns & you are celebrating Lagos to Kano molue rail system in a country with oil money that pays its President, law makers, ministers and their numerous hangers on stupendous amounts in salary. You sir, should be ashamed that you see this ancient so called rail system as something this nation should be proud of.

27 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 30, 2013
Itohen: The accident could have been avoided though if he wasn’t speeding. Both the
driver and those responsible for laying the tracks, will be sanctioned.”

This is what happens when you let Danfo Drivers Drive Trains
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by daviide: 5:51pm On May 30, 2013
Thank God no one was seriously hurt or died
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 30, 2013
yuzedo: Huh?! dey have train in Nigerian??!?? shocked BIG LIE!!! angry undecided
i thought you live in banana island-how come you don't know there are trains in Lagos state?

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 30, 2013
Thank God nobody die dia. Dis one for be bad omen for we country o.
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by yuzedo: 5:55pm On May 30, 2013
Cutejay: i thought you live at banana island-how come you don't know there are trains in Lagos state?
Swerry, Is a long story. gimme yo numba and i confess why i didnot no. I promiss. wink buy d way did u hav a big brezz big nyash + ice cream lap + rita domminick futures? tongue + hope u like mony cos u will help me eat all d many mony i hav wink

7 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Dolemite(f): 5:55pm On May 30, 2013
Nigeria: nothing works here, NOTHING!
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by DJDOLA(m): 5:55pm On May 30, 2013
This post is hidden by me
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:56pm On May 30, 2013
Eh! Thank God no life was lost.
Those incharge of maintaining the rails should be sanctioned immediately. Chai!
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Inoknowbook: 5:56pm On May 30, 2013
You will never catch me dead or alive in one of those dem trains!
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 30, 2013
is this not the train that was used in Toofan and jamuna grin shocked shocked

Eko oni baje oo

Lagos is working cool cool

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by pawesome(m): 5:58pm On May 30, 2013
NRC 101
D question has more dn 3 answers..each answer carry equal marks...

Question - they knew frm d on-set dt dia was a GAP dt ought nt to b on d rail track buh de let it b.y?....

Answer
1. because we are nigerians n we are use 2 managin
2. Dey bought 2nd hand rail tracks
3. Lack f maintainance
4. D driver was a danfo driver b4 his recent apointment
5. Embezlement

1 Like

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by wandeay: 6:01pm On May 30, 2013
Off topic please

2go finally release official app for Android, download it from Google play.
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 30, 2013
The railway sector won't work until the monopoly of the NRC is removed.

Simple.
yuzedo:
Swerry, Is a long story. gimme yo numba and i confess why i didnot no. I promiss. wink buy d way did u hav a big brezz big nyash + ice cream lap + rita domminick futures? tongue + hope u like mony cos u will help me eat all d many mony i hav wink
hahahahahaha you and your jokes. I dont have any of those features thanks. tongue
yuzedo:
hahahahahaha you and your jokes. I dont have any of those features thanks.
yuzedo:
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by ba7man(m): 6:04pm On May 30, 2013
Dolemite: Nigeria: nothing works here, NOTHING!
By making this statement (I pray you don't truely belive in it though), you have unconciously signed it that nothing will work for you in this Country. Haven't you heard of far worse train derailment in Countries like China and India with high death tolls?? What do you expect them to say??

4 Likes

Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by Dosoq(f): 6:05pm On May 30, 2013
tanks 2 jah no loss of life,i saw dem working on it 2day cos i work @ pen-cinema,agege
Re: Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos by taharqa2: 6:06pm On May 30, 2013
HNosegbe:

How typical.
And you bliv this, just like dat? You JUST bliv a Nigerian Newspaper that quoted an ANONYMOUS 'source' apparently stating d cause of an accident b4 any Investigations hv started!! How Smart of you...... PS: 1. Dis Lagos Inter-City Train Service started almost 2 years ago and hv ran consistently since then with about 16-18 trips EVERDAY currently, why is today that a train derails cos of an Alignment defect in a section of d rail that was not properly done during reconstruction more than 2 yrs ago? 2. Trains derail often all ova d world due to many reasons including Disalignment, Track Obstruction, Poor driving, Overspeeding (the article suggests d driver was overspeeding, though none can be sure yet), etc etc- how can you even remotely know what made this incident happen today without undataking any sort of Investigations whatsoever??..... NIGERIANS!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Attempt To Kidnap Yar’Adua’s Daughter Thwarted By SSS / Court Authorizes EFCC’s To Seize Tompolo’s Properties / Saraki Speaks On His CCT Trial Win: "I Bear No Grudge Against Anyone" -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.