Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? (21393 Views)

Why Is It Taking So Long For A Recruitment Firm To Hire After Interview? / Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? / Answering The Question,“ why Have You Been Unemployed For So Long?” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by WizPrince1(m): 10:33am On May 31, 2013
They have waited for government too much. Why shouldn't someone do a partial business that would help them until they get their major awaited job... I think that would help.... thats why
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by spotmataz: 10:33am On May 31, 2013
gozie701: I will advise every graduate to start something no matter how small the income/salary is,surely there are goodies ahead.

I agree with you 11yrs is a very long time to stay without doing anything.. They must surely be living off someone all the while, that's why they are comfortable with the situation...
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Eneze1(f): 10:37am On May 31, 2013
Black Peni5: Many Nigerian graduates are not employable in the private sector...The quality of education received in the Universities is so low that you'll have to spend a lot of time and money retraining them yet they want to be paid big.

Also, many graduates are lazy as they want to be paid for doing nothing, that is why they seek jobs with the Federal Government where there's little or nothing to do.

I also know of sum1 who started off very low down the ladder, collecting about N30,000 as a graduate but now, levels don change. It is easier to get a job based on experience rather than qualification. A fact that many fail to understand.

at bolded, that's the plain truth
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by druid06(m): 10:38am On May 31, 2013
Ummh, maybe because there are no jobs!! undecided
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Originalsly: 10:50am On May 31, 2013
Ego.There are so many illiterate people that find employment or are self employed....so many of them have become rich...so why can't a graduate/literate person be employed? Ego...too many jobs/salaries are below their certified status....but somehow they see nothing wrong in living like leeches.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:50am On May 31, 2013
Sometimes you don't have to look at the pay alone but the experience you get from doing the job,the ladies were foolish or better still they had rich boyfriends or parent that took care of their needs,some of them might even have a poor results that companies have rejected them and so became frustrated and stop trying. I don't believe the pay should really matter when you have no choice. I worked in a company that the pay wasn't much but I ended up not even depending on my salary because most of the client that usually come to see my oga at the top were used to me and sometimes write checks that is even more than my salary. If I had decided to stay at home because of the pay I wouldn't have gotten all that. Even if the pay is not much you should do the job diligently,be honest,be hardworking,smile and never let people notice you are fustrated with the pay and luck will definately shine on you. You can even in the process of working in that company still be looking out for openings in other organisation instead of sitting at home doing nothing.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:52am On May 31, 2013
@OP i believe those girls you met at the saloon have ego. 8years and still unemployed say wetin happen? Make dem sidon there dey find govt work up and down now dem neva ready undecided undecided
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by dallyemmy: 10:57am On May 31, 2013
People remain unemployed because they don't know that the starting point is where they are. Experience is a prerequisite if one needs a good job. Just look for a problem, solve it and be the best at it!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by spotmataz: 10:58am On May 31, 2013
Every_LadY: this is a good one.I wish all our corp members on Nairaland will take a cue from this thread,that is if they ever get to read this. Do not sit at home for any reason.Once ur NYSC is over,get busy doing something.Give urself some respect by not begging. Begging is not an option,no, not even from ur hubby.

Well Said!
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by collynzo2(m): 10:58am On May 31, 2013
sexymoma: Is due to Large population of the country, We are suppose to have a law that Guilds Child Birth, Atleast that might help. The population of Nigeria is increasing day by day.
That's our biggest problem o, especially people giving birth to children they can't take care of and seeing it as an achievement

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:59am On May 31, 2013
arcbabe: Even if the pay is not much you should do the job diligently,be honest,be hardworking,smile and never let people notice you are fustrated with the pay and luck will definately shine on you. You can even in the process of working in that company still be looking out for openings in other organisation instead of sitting at home doing nothing.
GBAM!!!
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by AjanleKoko: 11:01am On May 31, 2013
The unemployment problem is global. Just exacerbated in Nigeria for the following reasons:

1. Our economy is weak, and not growing at the pace and lateral spread that it should be, commensurate to population growth. There are a plethora of reasons for this.

2. There is a serious skills gap in Nigeria. Zero development of actual technical skills, nowadays classified as 'blue-collar' work. Also oversupply of white-collar aspirants, usually referred to as 'graduates'. No real skills, just looking for work.

So it is easy to stay jobless for years, if your plan post-graduation is to keep applying for jobs, writing tests, attending interviews, and interviews, or maybe adding more useless certificates to the one you already have.

For the youth in Nigeria, there is only one solution: take your future serious, and work hard at developing real skills that can put money in your pockets. The usual formula of tests, tests, interviews, and more tests, until some job shows up, is looking more like the lottery nowadays.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:04am On May 31, 2013
You are on point. My first job was less than 50k. Till it grew to about 5times that figure.

There are people with a mentality that they cant do a certain type of job. I wanted to work as an engineer in an oil firm but the only jobs coming my way were banking jobs so i gave it a try. All is now history but at least, banking(private sector) brought me out of poverty. Self employment rules now, giving me opportunity to determine what i earn.

I used to have friends who said they cant work in bank. Till today, they are jobless. Very unwise.

Even in business, people with such mentality do not excel.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:07am On May 31, 2013
Every_LadY: this is a good one.I wish all our corp members on Nairaland will take a cue from this thread,that is if they ever get to read this. Do not sit at home for any reason.Once ur NYSC is over,get busy doing something.Give urself some respect by not begging. Begging is not an option,no, not even from ur hubby.

1,000,000 likes.

Begging is not an occupation but many girls have chosen that career path.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by calculusx(m): 11:07am On May 31, 2013
This came at the right time. I got a job for a close pal and i was surprised he turned down the offer saying he can't manage 50k job for a start. 4yrs now he is still unemployed. Will i call it laziness? We should not blame govt for everything, there are menial jobs that can fetch people 40k monthly without much stress but no one is ready to do it.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:10am On May 31, 2013
Yomieluv: so many factors contributes to unemployment.
1.level of education.
2.lack of basic infrastructure facilities to promote self employment.
3.wrong course studied in the university.
4.laziness.
5.inadequate industry.
6.overpopulation.
7.lack of capital to start own business.
8.witch or family curse.
9.desire to travel out.
10.pursuing shadow ambition.

so op, pick your choice.

Only (4)laziness can prevent a man from succeeding in life. Not even illiteracy/lack of education.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nosyke(m): 11:10am On May 31, 2013
Black Peni5: Many Nigerian graduates are not employable in the private sector...The quality of education received in the Universities is so low that you'll have to spend a lot of time and money retraining them yet they want to be paid big.

Also, many graduates are lazy as they want to be paid for doing nothing, that is why they seek jobs with the Federal Government where there's little or nothing to do.

I also know of sum1 who started off very low down the ladder, collecting about N30,000 as a graduate but now, levels don change. It is easier to get a job based on experience rather than qualification. A fact that many fail to understand.

I can relate with the bolded as it aptly describes me. When I finished NYSC, I got a research assistant job for 2 weeks. The pay wasnt much, but i did it, just after then I joined the firm for free, was just there not being paid but i was learning. When the data entry came out, I participated. Then after that nothing because there werent any contracts for the firm. Later On I was placed on 25k salary, fast forward 5 months later, they got a long term contract with an International NGO, I was taken in to work on a contract basis, with 50k salary.While at this job,I put in all my best that even consultants we worked for were very impressed. I also travelled well across the country on tours (all expense paid)
1 year later, it was increased to 59k. I only earned this salary for 2 months before an opening came up in the international NGO, I applied.During my interview, I showed them pratical examples of what I have done for the over 3 years I finished serving. Summary, I got the job with the International NGO (great salary, working environment and prospects too)

Moral of my short story, once you finish school, start doing something, no matter how small, get an experience because it pays in the long run.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by fpeter(f): 11:10am On May 31, 2013
[quote author=Yomieluv]so many factors contributes to unemployment.

3.wrong course studied in the university.

8.witch or family curse.

LWKMD grin cheesy smiley
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:11am On May 31, 2013
havin read all ur contributions, i wnt to also add that u really need God's favour to excel in labour market..most times u do well in interviews buh aint called, y?? u think u can do it all alone? No..we need to know that everytn comes 4m God and so shld put HiM first in all our endeavours..hardwork + God's favour= SUCCESS

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by naiijaboii: 11:13am On May 31, 2013
hmmmn....maybe its because there are no jobs Could that be it??
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:14am On May 31, 2013
calculusx: This came at the right time. I got a job for a close pal and i was surprised he turned down the offer saying he can't manage 50k job for a start. 4yrs now he is still unemployed. Will i call it laziness? We should not blame govt for everything, there are menial jobs that can fetch people 40k monthly without much stress but no one is ready to do it.

That is the height of stewpidity. My first bank job was less than 50k in 2006. Stay away from such a friend. I have one such person who lives in a free apartment. When you get him something to do, he starts giving his employer the conditions of his employment. When i butt him away he will know that harmattan blows a cold wind.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by rezzy: 11:15am On May 31, 2013
No job ni
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by pawn89(m): 11:16am On May 31, 2013
Staying unemployed for so long is becoming some sort of experience necessary for some sort of job opportunities grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Emmy9ite(m): 11:18am On May 31, 2013
fear also contributes to this. most people are afraid of going out alone. it is actually one of the best adventures of life.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by kolamilan(m): 11:21am On May 31, 2013
well as for me education and self employed is the best legacy one can have. I know that being self-employed is tough work and
anyone considering it should give it full thought, I have
to say that I have quickly learned one thing among
many…I love being self-employed! As I do not know the
future, it’s entirely possible that I may re-enter the
corporate world at some point; but, my hope and vision
is to create a company that sustains itself and opens up
further entrepreneurial opportunities.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by pak: 11:24am On May 31, 2013
calculusx: This came at the right time. I got a job for a close pal and i was surprised he turned down the offer saying he can't manage 50k job for a start. 4yrs now he is still unemployed. Will i call it laziness? We should not blame govt for everything, there are menial jobs that can fetch people 40k monthly without much stress but no one is ready to do it.

Wait a minute calculux, are you me ?
Exactly same scenario, I got a job for a friend five years for 50k for a start. He rejected it, still unemployed as we speak
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by realitychick: 11:29am On May 31, 2013
collynzo2: That's our biggest problem o, especially people giving birth to children they can't take care of and seeing it as an achievement
Exactly,,,you give birth to children without a definite plan for their future.
You score your self as an ACHEIVER to their own detriment.Thats So Cruel.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:30am On May 31, 2013
sexymoma: Is due to Large population of the country, We are suppose to have a law that Guilds Child Birth, Atleast that might help. The population of Nigeria is increasing day by day.
men na true you need to go to government hospitals and see people borning like rats I dey fear what nigerias population will be by 2030
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Biggoozz: 11:34am On May 31, 2013
They are not aware that those without a job stand no chance compared to those on a job before any recruiter. Employed people are more likely to sell themselves better, respected, negotiate with pride for higher pay and all that. That is why they target the run down public sector to go use their mediocrity destroy it further and collect people's hard earned tax money.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nosyke(m): 11:38am On May 31, 2013
Biggoozz: They are not aware that those without a job stand no chance compared to those on a job before any recruiter. Employed people are more likely to sell themselves better, respected, negotiate with pride for higher pay and all that. That is why they target the run down public sector to go use their mediocrity destroy it further and collect people's hard earned tax money.

Guy you harsh ooo
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by dulphines: 11:38am On May 31, 2013
Those who are suppose to create the enabling environment for wealth creation or employment opportunities are our brothers - The blackman.
The Blackman finds fulfilment when he is wealthy and his brothers or friends are poor.
The Blackman wants to be lord of all.
The Blackman will not want to create jobs for you and I to be gainfully employed. He believes we will no longer respect him when we are independent.
The Blackman wants to be addressed as Sir, Oga, his excellency, chief, obong,MON, CON, and all the craps you find around you.
The Blackman is a witch by nature and that is why people do not have jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nosyke(m): 11:43am On May 31, 2013
dulphines: Those who are suppose to create the enabling environment for wealth creation or employment opportunities are our brothers - The blackman.
The Blackman finds fulfilment when he is wealthy and his brothers or friends are poor.
The Blackman wants to be lord of all.
The Blackman will not want to create jobs for you and I to be gainfully employed. He believes we will no longer respect him when we are independent.
The Blackman wants to be addressed as Sir, Oga, his excellency, chief, obong,MON, CON, and all the craps you find around you.
The Blackman is a witch by nature and that is why people do not have jobs.

Stay there and be playing the blame game. Dont go out there and start doing.

The black man who you are blaming, did he attain his status by blaming the white man?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fcmb Aptitude Test / Guinness Nigeria Plc Graduate Sales Trainee Recruitment / Shoprite Vacancy @ Delta Mall, Warri.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.