Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,641 members, 7,801,867 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States (16248 Views)

Ikpeazu Borrowed N24bn In 11 Months / Shuaibu Salisu: I Delivered $47m In 11 Suitcases To Dasuki - The Nation / PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 31, 2013
Nigeria Union of Teachers on Thursday urged teachers in 11 states to embark on strike from June 1 (Saturday).

The teachers are protesting against the non-payment of their 27.5 per cent enhanced salary scale and N18, 000 minimum wages.

The states are Cross River, Ebonyi, Ekiti, Ogun, Edo, Kogi, Niger, Borno, Benue, Zamfara and Sokoto.

Rising from a meeting in Abuja, the leadership of the union said the affected teachers would embark on what it called "painful strike."

Addressing reporters in Abuja, the NUT President, Mr. Michael Olukoya, vowed that the strike would continue until the authorities met the union's demands.

Describing the action of governors of the affected states as "derelict, unpatriotic and self-serving", Olukoya said they had denied their teachers genuine allowances.

Olukoya lamented that while there was implementation of minimum wages for other categories of workers, the defaulting states deliberately exempted teachers.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/teachers-begin-strike-in-11-states/
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by kalunomics(m): 7:48pm On May 31, 2013
Look at how they are complaining about like they really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money out of it. grin

Government should instill tough punitive measures, if not dismissal, to teachers whom out-rightly miss schools and skip classes in a bid to fish out the culprits and curb this menace because there are a few who are committed to their job that deserves their salaries.

But wait, what is the reason of the government for owing them?

3 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by mesther96(f): 11:07pm On May 31, 2013
[quote
author=kalunomics]Look at how they are complaining about like they
really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've
turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money
out of it. grin

Government should instill tough punitive measures, if not dismissal, to
teachers whom out-rightly miss schools and skip classes in a bid to fish
out the culprits and curb this menace because there are a few who are
committed to their job that deserves their salaries.

But wait, what is the reason of the government for owing them?[/quote]c bad mouth,u sef wetin do ur grammar

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by gramci: 11:08pm On May 31, 2013
Teachers need all the support they can get

8 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by brownlord: 11:11pm On May 31, 2013
Abeg if teachers go on strike shei even corpers self no go go school? chai thank you Jesus, i don first tire self, abeg shei Osun state join the state.

Chai NUT include Osun now

2 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by gramci: 11:12pm On May 31, 2013
I sincerely hope that dayokanu, eko ile, eko atlantic, gbawe (aka osundefender) and other clowns will view this thread through the prism of objectivity.

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by elari(m): 11:13pm On May 31, 2013
Dear teachers, u have my support. i won't be coming to school too because government don't want to pay u your money so that u may teach well, with all your hearts and Mr. Thomas flogs me too much. Let the strike begin.

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Dubby6(m): 11:14pm On May 31, 2013
As e dey hot!!

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by toluxa1(m): 11:14pm On May 31, 2013
Nobody get time for teachers now jorr, let's finish with this Poko Haram boys first.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by theripper3: 11:16pm On May 31, 2013
Borno still get teachers? I think se dem don borrow leg since.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by alphaconde(m): 11:16pm On May 31, 2013
So edo is there, oshomole where are thou?

3 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:17pm On May 31, 2013
These people are id!ots. Ogun is not going on strike, the govt pays N18,200 since d implementation of d minimum wage and doesn't owe any teacher a dime!

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Kenneth205(m): 11:17pm On May 31, 2013
Na dem sebi jwo.. Greaken Nani
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by luvola(m): 11:18pm On May 31, 2013
i will advice the govt to meet the demand of the union and after that insall a very strigent , well implement and efficient overall control of the state own schools and severly eliminate inefficient workers.. A well effective balance score card should be implemented, spies should also be disperse in all the govt schools to ensure efficiency and punitive measures should be used on lazy staff in form of suspension and outright ..dismissal
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by WIZGUY69(m): 11:18pm On May 31, 2013
undecided make una no go work back....hunger go torture una!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 31, 2013
Backward states oshebay! Hey!
Dem no fit pay their teachers minimum wage ,after now some eediots will be shouting PDP this,PDP that
Now we know the poorest places in Nigeria wey no wan pay teachers while their governors are getting richer

The leading states in education e.g ,Imo,Anambra ,Rivers,Abia and Delta no dey among
Are we surprised?

4 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by hoochay: 11:22pm On May 31, 2013
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by luvola(m): 11:23pm On May 31, 2013
i will advice the govt to meet the demand of the union and after that install a very strigent , well implement and efficient overall control of the state own schools and severly eliminate inefficient workers.. A well effective balance score card should be implemented, spies should also be disperse in all the govt schools to ensure efficiency and punitive measures should be used on lazy staff in form of suspension and outright ..dismissal .
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by eyescue(m): 11:23pm On May 31, 2013
kalunomics: Look at how they are complaining about like they really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money out of it. grin

Government should instill tough punitive measures, if not dismissal, to teachers whom out-rightly miss schools and skip classes in a bid to fish out the culprits and curb this menace because there are a few who are committed to their job that deserves their salaries.

If only i could lay my hands on you, then i would padlock your mouth with MONDAY-PADLOCK. f**l

4 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by imperiouxx(m): 11:25pm On May 31, 2013
That's not a new thing in Nigeria.

Next frontpage thread please!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Owodiong(m): 11:26pm On May 31, 2013
Without d teacher de wont become wot de ar 2dy so mek una pay dem dia salary....

2 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by rossete2020(f): 11:26pm On May 31, 2013
y're d government doing this- disrupting the educational system. Teachers are suppose 2 b the apple of the government eyes coz they are the producer of leaders of 2moro.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Temismith(f): 11:36pm On May 31, 2013
Y do dey treat teachers dis way? U r indebted to dem in many ways

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by EasternLeopard: 11:42pm On May 31, 2013
What will teachers achieve with 18,000naira in present day Nigeria. Can this useless demonic salary afford a teacher's house, food, shelter, clothing, etc bills. If govt wants the best 4rm teachers then they should be ready to pay teachers more than 18,000.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by EasternLeopard: 11:56pm On May 31, 2013
Private Schools are the worst when it comes to paying salary. A situation were a child's school fees is about 30,000 and a teacher is paid 15,000, how do they want the teachers to perform.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by basilo101: 12:02am On Jun 01, 2013
I served in Ekiti, dey employ teachers more dan required. D state is economically dead, lazy youths alway crying 4 govt jobs

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Raymondgabriel(m): 12:08am On Jun 01, 2013
Governors de misbehave nobdy de criticise dem but wil b quick 2 criticise Mr President who is tryin his best 2 deliver !!!

3 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 01, 2013
basilo101: I served in Ekiti, dey employ teachers more dan required. D state is economically dead, lazy youths alway crying 4 govt jobs

There are some states that should have never been created
States that are dead, basically leeches and sucking the economy dry with nothing to offer
Ekiti is one
Ebonyi is another
Let me not mention the non viable states of northern Nigeria
Any state that cannot pay teachers a minimum wage ought to be merged back to wherever they were carved from and if they are older states,they ought to decrease the size of govt by merging their LGAs to a maximum of 10

2 Likes

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by theripper3: 12:20am On Jun 01, 2013
Elechi wey no dey do shishi for Ebonyi still no fit pay teachers? Wetin dat Governor dey use Monthly state allocation do sef? Old senile avaricious goat.

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Smooyis(m): 12:32am On Jun 01, 2013
kalunomics: Look at how they are complaining about like they really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money out of it. grin

Trading during school hours is illegal and should be discourage. I think the govt is partly responsible for this. When teachers are ill paid, they are bound to make ends meet one way or the other. Pay teachers well, and watch them give their best to the students. It is very frusztrating seeing the child you taught riding flashy cars and doing well few years after graduation while the teacher wallow in poverty.
I believe teachers make the school. But most govts believe in building good classroom blocks at the expense of teachers welfare.
Teachers reward must start from here now and not when they die.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by WizPrince1(m): 1:24am On Jun 01, 2013
Ah, keke drop me i don see news. ...e say wetin?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jibrin On N40bn Budget Allegation: I’m Ready To Provide Evidence Against Dogara / Fund 'Private Visits' from Your Pocket, Not Public Funds - Obi Tells Tinubu / Buhari’s Snail Pace - PUNCH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.