Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House (19222 Views)

What Becomes Of Kids In Orphanages When They Grow Up? / 20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / 26 Things That Happen When You Grow Up In An African house (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Luvdmx(m): 5:29am On Jun 02, 2013
I was there and it was what makes me stronger...missed my childhood friends esp the innocent girls even at 16 then unlike 2day world
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Lakayana: 6:08am On Jun 02, 2013
izuplayspiano: grin grin grin hearing my full thick Ijaw name was enough to get me scampering for safety....childhood was fun though
Correct ha!!!! Izon.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Vansnickers: 6:29am On Jun 02, 2013
22. Your siblings will be the first people to bully the crap out of you. Later on, you’ll realize that they were preparing you for a big bad world out there

When i was really Young, my Big Brother was a real pest. I even used to set traps for him, so i could report him to my Mum for his weekly @ss Whooping. Now that we're Adults, we are so chill.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by newpaparazzi(m): 6:47am On Jun 02, 2013
lol at 15 & 16. really true.

btw i didnt get d gist at 23. can any1 explain?
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by naiko: 7:04am On Jun 02, 2013
@new paparazzi,23 meant if your all names are mentioned that simply means you might have done something wrong(in most cases).u get d drift?
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Artistree: 8:30am On Jun 02, 2013
Nothing can be more truthful dan dis. EVERYTHING here happened in my home & the sheer innocence of kids then was amazing. I used 2 bathe outside till I was 16 & my neighbour( a lady) would come & shoo me inside, dat I was grown & should use d bathroom. Life was good!
The day my father calls my real name? (he fondly calls me ADA) e don set be dat! I miss ma childhood...
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by PrettySpicey(f): 8:39am On Jun 02, 2013
OMG! Lol. This is so true. OP, You are totally on point. Chei! I thank God for my African parents though.
N as I don't care much for '21st Century' parents, I do believe I shall be sticking to our African parents method of upbringing .... in most cases wink
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 02, 2013
How these exclusively breastfed and well trained African children turn out to be d worst politicians and leaders, more dan their white counterparts amaze me.

7 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Kpimp: 9:42am On Jun 02, 2013
@op dis are so true.u most finish ur food first b4 even tinking abt eating meat.anytin contrary to dat, u are in soup.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by elrony(m): 10:05am On Jun 02, 2013
Lol back then Dad was really Caesar !!!.....you dare not give him a contrary answer lyk..."I'm tired,I can't " lol

After trashin my sorry behind,they 'd be sayin they want the best for me...

No matter how they brought us up,we ll always love them!!!!!!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by ochallo: 10:12am On Jun 02, 2013
ngozievergreen: How these exclusively breastfed and well trained African children turn out to be d worst politicians and leaders, more dan their white counterparts amaze me.

Your words struck me in my heart and got me wondering,still trying to figure out the right answer.
Is it the fact that children are raised to be hypocritical and religious without actually instilling leadership and excellence principles or that kids just change when they get older and do all the things they want due to the feeling of being caged during childhood, i'm still thinking.

3 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by ponco: 10:18am On Jun 02, 2013
10. Your parents will call you from upstairs, downstairs, outside, etc., to hand them something that is literally 10 centimeters away from them.
I remember my mom used to call me to pass her water from the toilet sink with which to clean her buttocks after taking a dump while she is sitting on the toilet, it used to piss me off. She passed some weeks ago, and i wish she would still call me to do it for her. RIP mum

4 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by goldwaters(f): 10:29am On Jun 02, 2013
My mum used to call me to look for something small, maybe her necklace in her room. When I ask her where exactly in d room? She'll say "if I know where it is, will I ask u to look for it?" Ok where person wan start from?

2 Likes

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:31am On Jun 02, 2013
Loved this write-up! The part abt d sodas is so true. Remember when I actually did c a whole crate in d house, it ended up locked in my mom's room and lasted abt 3 months! N when my mom yells my full ibo name, na die b dat! Miss my childhood so much.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by diarra94(m): 11:27am On Jun 02, 2013
It was annoying when we were kids buh now i feel it has prepared us for the world outside.

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by sirgeorge(m): 11:30am On Jun 02, 2013
I experienced all of the above and now as an adult I wish I was brought up differently.There are some very good points in there but most of the rest are just plain ridiculous.Tyrannizing your kids in the name of african moral upbringing.
Sad
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by imotal(m): 11:46am On Jun 02, 2013
You hit the nail on the head girl. Growing up, I abided by these rules,and the funny thing is, it actually prepared me for life outside my parents home.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by mamiel: 11:59am On Jun 02, 2013
All so true, I mean every single point. And after I had planned to deal with my parents when I grow up and mak dem regret because I felt they wher unfair to me, now I just can't seem to a way to tnk and repay dem enough. Guess d best I can do is to prove them heroes by passing on dis African asset to my kids. We dont knw wat awesome culture we hav here until we travel out of dis country

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 02, 2013
ajetunde: like
Lmao. . .hahahahahahahaha grin
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 02, 2013
Very true. But u didn't add that the african parent does not need to talk before a message is passed to the child. While growing up, if ma mums eye blinks and u don't understand what she is saying, ur in soup. in Fact, if she scratches her foot on d ground, e get meaning and we must understand esp me being the first born becos just as u said, I always took d blame for my younger ones misdeeds. And my mum be like 'where were u wen he/she wx doin d wrong'? Nna, childhood was good and bad, fun plus tears.. Wow. It helped o be who I am anyways

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by rhowly(m): 2:42pm On Jun 02, 2013
I remember at some point in our home the fridge had an electrical problem and my mum got shocked. After that day instead of repairing the fridge, she made sure never to open it...even wen we outside the house she would call. "wat about that backyard I told u to clean" my response...."mummy I did that yesterday" and she already knew....only to ask "eh oya give me water from the fridge". undecided

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Greatlydia(f): 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2013
very very correct
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Amya(f): 3:28pm On Jun 02, 2013
rhowly: I remember at some point in our home the fridge had an electrical problem and my mum got shocked. After that day instead of repairing the fridge, she made sure never to open it...even wen we outside the house she would call. "wat about that backyard I told u to clean" my response...."mummy I did that yesterday" and she already knew....only to ask "eh oya give me water from the fridge". undecided
lol grin
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by ayde: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2013
Wow..this is all so very true.
I remember in my home then, you dare not go to the pot and dish food for youreslf, na plates we dey submit for mumsy to put food..and then we'd pick the dished food according to seniority..I used to pick last then as the last born of the family. Beautiful memories..smiley
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2013
rhowly: I remember at some point in our home the fridge had an electrical problem and my mum got shocked. After that day instead of repairing the fridge, she made sure never to open it...even wen we outside the house she would call. "wat about that backyard I told u to clean" my response...."mummy I did that yesterday" and she already knew....only to ask "eh oya give me water from the fridge". undecided
Funny. I rememba I was d one who know hao to opeare d tv and search for sattions and even the VCR player. Xo wheneva am not arnd, they barely watch tv/film in ma haus and ama feelinglike super engeineer.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 02, 2013
ayde: Wow..this is all so very true.
I remember in my home then, you dare not go to the pot and dish food for youreslf, na plates we dey submit for mumsy to put food..and then we'd pick the dished food according to seniority..I used to pick last then as the last born of the family. Beautiful memories..smiley
I am d first born xo I used to pick 1st. I also rememba d austerity measures we ma mum used to serve us food esp wen pot of soup is going down. Me and ma imediate younger sis will av eba in difrent plates but our soup will be 2gether in one plate. Moreso she eats slowly and as a man in d making, b4 she carries 2 bolus of eba, I av downd five. And wen we are asked to share one fish, the senior takes d portion dat has d middle bone.
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by lastpage: 4:04pm On Jun 02, 2013
In the "Bigger Picture", l think what is more important is to ask ourselves: Do all these "things and ways" of our parents, produce good adults (like you and me),.... when compared to TODAYS lax form of "civilized parenting"?

Judge the comparisons, based on the RESULTS!

The post is hilarious all the same. grin grin grin especially that part about calling you a hundred times in a day!
Somehow, it fostered "obedience and respect", in a "Parent" kind of way! (I am your parent, gerrit? ..Aaah, Dad, l gerrit 'puurrfectly' naah!) shocked shocked

Lastpage!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by lastpage: 4:08pm On Jun 02, 2013
torhuke: Very true. But u didn't add that the african parent does not need to talk before a message is passed to the child. While growing up, if ma mums eye blinks and u don't understand what she is saying, ur in soup. in Fact, if she scratches her foot on d ground, e get meaning and we must understand esp me being the first born becos just as u said, I always took d blame for my younger ones misdeeds. And my mum be like 'where were u wen he/she wx doin d wrong'? Nna, childhood was good and bad, fun plus tears.. Wow. It helped o be who I am anyways
Good.
Would you have had it 'the other way round" (as in opposite style) , if you had a choice NOW.... or will you stick with what and how your parent trained you to become whoever you are TODAY?

(I guess your junior siblings also benefited from it as well?)

That is what l was wondering about in my last post.

Lastpage!
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by jossygal(f): 6:39pm On Jun 02, 2013
Hmmm @ no 10, mine was sooo bad dat my dad wld pass by d fridge come 2 my room and ask me 2 get water 4 him
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 02, 2013
LMSAO!!!!!!!!!.so true
Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by donwilly3: 10:38pm On Jun 02, 2013
if u sleep durin prayer u becom d only sinner around nd always being sent wen ever u r eating

1 Like

Re: Things That Happen When You Grow-up In An African House by Nobody: 12:04am On Jun 03, 2013
[size=13pt]"Put it on my head!"[/size]

When I stretch my arms to hand something to my mom instead of placing it directly in her hand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Am Tired Of My Oyinbo Wife / Waiting For Conception: The Travails Of Couples In The Hands Of “womb Watchers” / He Said He 'touched' Her..&for Me That Has Changed A Lot Of Things!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.