Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? (16229 Views)

Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor / A "Marriage Proposal By Police" In Port Harcourt (Pictures) / Why Do Ex's Say, "We Can Still Be Friends," After A Break-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Queen1(f): 1:24pm On Jun 01, 2013
This is just a question that I've been pondering on for a while now. Though i know its not a very common phenomenon in Nigeria sha. But if a guy proposes to a girl and she turns him down. Do they go back to been friends, remain as lovers or become enemies? I think the relationship becomes kinda awkward. What do you guys think?
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by temi4fash(m): 2:24pm On Jun 01, 2013
space booked I dai come...

1 Like

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Sanboy25: 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2013

I think that all depends on the level of understanding of the man...
Some men will not be able to accept the rejection, they'll become angry at the woman, thus enemies. undecided
Other men, the wise ones, will accept the fact that the woman have the choice... The man, if he want to strike once more, he'll manage a way for he and the woman to remain friends or lovers... wink
To me most of the men are from the first category because of their big ego...
Hope I helped. cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by AtheistD(m): 7:23pm On Jun 01, 2013
They can remain lovers. But will she change her mind in the future? The situation depends on how the rejection is handled and reasons for the rejection.
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:13pm On Jun 01, 2013
Sanboy25:
I think that all depends on the level of understanding of the man...
Some men will not be able to accept the rejection, they'll become angry at the woman, thus enemies. undecided
Other men, the wise ones, will accept the fact that the woman have the choice... The man, if he want to strike once more, he'll manage a way for he and the woman to remain friends or lovers... wink
To me most of the men are from the first category because of their big ego...
Hope I helped. cheesy
why DID you CHOSE to biliv dt the one who accepted d turning down IS WISE?
Is it because he pretended to accept or decided not to react?
Before a man decides to 'marry' a lady, u knw wot he has gone tru and overcame psychologically?

When u mentioned d issue of choice, i dnt biliv u undstud it is in total relation to individual differences? The one who gets angry shld be cut a slack, as he is different from d one who chose to accept! Hence, no one is wise, no one is foolish!

16 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
which stopid man will propose to a girl without her giving him the green light. There must be some sort of pressure from her like when are you seeing my people, my mates are all getting married, I keep attending friends wedding, I wish to be the mother of your kids etc. Such signal will guide a guy to a more favourably decision.

Can't imagine the humiliation hosting friends for an engagement party and your woman supposedly turn you down to the consternation of friends and relatives. Omo, you had all along been dating someone else wife to be!

15 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by AtheistD(m): 8:58pm On Jun 01, 2013
LastApostle: which stopid man will propose to a girl without her giving him the green light. There must be some sort of pressure from her like when are you seeing my people, my mates are all getting married, I keep attending friends wedding, I wish to be the mother of your kids etc. Such signal will guide a guy to a more favourably decision.

Can't imagine the humiliation hosting friends for an engagement party and your woman supposedly turn you down to the consternation of friends and relatives. Omo, you had all along been dating someone else wife to be!

A desperate one sad
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Sanboy25: 8:59pm On Jun 01, 2013
SLIDE waxie: why DID you CHOSE to biliv dt the one who accepted d turning down IS WISE?
Is it because he pretended to accept or decided not to react?
Before a man decides to 'marry' a lady, u knw wot he has gone tru and overcame psychologically?
When u mentioned d issue of choice, i dnt biliv u undstud it is in total relation to individual differences? The one who gets angry shld be cut a slack, as he is different from d one who chose to accept! Hence, no one is wise, no one is foolish!

I believe that the one who over-reacted to the refusal is foolish.
By doing so, not only he ruins all his chances with the lady, he also show a childish behavior: like a spoiled kid who trows a tantrum because he can't have what he want, that's an indicator of his immaturity. He asked the woman for marriage, so she has all the rights to refuse, he should have taken into account this possibility...
Being angry and over-reacting because a woman don't want you is pure stupidness... she is an individual who has the choice.
The man didn't overcome nothing psychologically because he didn't consider refusal.

It's the second one, the Wise one, who went through all the possibilities in his head before his proposal.
By staying calm when refused marriage, he overcame the deception and the flow of negative emotions toward the lady.

12 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by AtheistD(m): 9:07pm On Jun 01, 2013
Sanboy25:

By doing so, not only he ruins all his chances with the lady, he also show a childish behavior: like a spoiled kid who trows a tantrum because he can't have what he want, that's an indicator of his immaturity. He asked the woman for marriage, so she has all the rights to refuse, he should have taken into account this possibility...

Disappointment, a realisation that it is not meant to be, a realisation that he now has to look for another lady to be his wife. How is he supposed to react... with joyous praise undecided

He should have handled it more manly but I doubt the relationship would have survived.

1 Like

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2013
Atheist:-D:

A desperate one sad

There must be some sort of body language.
My example is what I could conjure!
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by AtheistD(m): 9:12pm On Jun 01, 2013
LastApostle:

There must be some sort of body language.
My example is what I could conjure!

Maybe he knew it was likely she would reject it. That might be why he reacted so fiercely with the rejection.
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:56pm On Jun 01, 2013
Sanboy25:

Being angry and over-reacting because a woman don't want you is pure stupidness... she is an individual who has the choice.
The man didn't overcome nothing psychologically because he didn't consider refusal.

It's the second one, the Wise one, who went through all the possibilities in his head before his proposal.
By staying calm when refused marriage, he overcame the deception and the flow of negative emotions toward the lady.
u, san, are still jumping d fact abt individual differences!
That needed to be considered in any situation!

The truth remains dt 90% of people who vet their anger on d spot dnt really mean it, and they alwys regret it. They are mostly described as plain, honest and straight. While d other silent and supposedly cool one are mostly dangerous to deal with.

I am off d context of this thread, and only trying to correct the stereotyping dt being angry is foolish. Well, it's not!

4 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by jalay(m): 10:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
lolz

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Temismith(f): 10:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
What for? For y? What can fa? E didnt possible. How na? How do i feel around dat person? For d betterment of our lives, twill be better to keep distance, not ' malice'

6 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Wendyslim(f): 10:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
Don't know ,.anyway just passing
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 01, 2013
SLIDE waxie: u, san, are still jumping d fact abt individual differences!
That needed to be considered in any situation!

The truth remains dt 90% of people who vet their anger on d spot dnt really mean it, and they alwys regret it. They are mostly described as plain, honest and straight. While d other silent and supposedly cool one are mostly dangerous to deal with.

I am off d context of this thread, and only trying to correct the stereotyping dt being angry is foolish. Well, it's not!

Being angry because someone turned down your offer is childish and immature. By offer, I mean any kind of offer. An offer is meant to be accepted or rejected. The 'offeree' should be prepared for any of the two outcomes. I just hate it when people ask you for something or ask to do something and you say 'NO' and they take it personal. That means they were practically trying to impose that thing on you in the first instance. There's a room for feeling bad but not ANGER!

4 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 01, 2013
She didn't see me fit for marriage....

F**Ck Friendship.

6 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 01, 2013
Awkward but not impossible
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jun 01, 2013
What 4..4 what reasons? On what grounds? Ko joo mehn
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Sanboy25: 10:17pm On Jun 01, 2013
alutacontinua: Being angry because someone turned down your offer is childish and immature. By offer, I mean any kind of offer. An offer is meant to be accepted or rejected. The 'offeree' should be prepared for any of the two outcomes. I just hate it when people ask you for something or ask to do something and you say 'NO' and they take it personal. That means they were practically trying to impose that thing on you in the first instance. There's a room for feeling bad but not ANGER!

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm trying to explain him.
To me he understood but he just don't want to be proven wrong...

1 Like

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 01, 2013
Temismith: What for? For y? What can fa? E didnt possible. How na? How do i feel around dat person? For d betterment of our lives, twill be better to keep distance, not ' malice'
Wa shere
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
LastApostle: which stopid man will propose to a girl without her giving him the green light. There must be some sort of pressure from her like when are you seeing my people, my mates are all getting married, I keep attending friends wedding, I wish to be the mother of your kids etc. Such signal will guide a guy to a more favourably decision.

God bless you jare. Only a very feeble and extremely fooooolish buffoon in Nigeria would put himself in a position where there is even a 0.01 percent chance of a girl turning down his marriage proposal. For most regular 'soji' guys that earn even a modest income, proposing to a girl should spark celebration and thanksgiving in her household. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Never assume she is too virtuous or too beautiful or too valuable to be worth it (unless she is a billionaire heiress, if you are entering marriage for transactional reasons). You would be disappointed in the end.

5 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 01, 2013
Sanboy25:

Mr Oluwole Soyinka.. na u sabi grammar pass.. all ds oyinbo attitude no fit work 4 here..how now?
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by shizzle11(m): 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
alutacontinua:

Being angry because someone turned down your offer is childish and immature. By offer, I mean any kind of offer. An offer is meant to be accepted or rejected. The 'offeree' should be prepared for any of the two outcomes. I just hate it when people ask you for something or ask to do something and you say 'NO' and they take it personal. That means they were practically trying to impose that thing on you in the first instance. There's a room for feeling bad but not ANGER!

bless you. In my several political, social, romantic endeavours, I make room for two possibilities and I take any outcome in my strides, in this way, I don't get too hurt cos I already prepared my mind to take any negative outcome or rejection graciously.

However, it all depends on the reason and manner of rejection

2 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Sanboy25: 10:35pm On Jun 01, 2013
SLIDE waxie: u, san, are still jumping d fact abt individual differences!
That needed to be considered in any situation! The truth remains dt 90% of people who vet their anger on d spot dnt really mean it, and they alwys regret it. They are mostly described as plain, honest and straight. While d other silent and supposedly cool one are mostly dangerous to deal with. I am off d context of this thread, and only trying to correct the stereotyping dt being angry is foolish. Well, it's not!
[b]
Hum ok, I understood your point, you are entitled to your opinion and me to mine.
Being angry is not being foolish, all depends on what you're angry at.
Being angry because someone attacked you and took your phone is different than being angry because someone don't want to marry you. To vent your anger on the spot is something typically childish, [or let's enter into stereotype: with women who cry for any occasion], or feminine. A man is not supposed (according to society) to be overwhelmed by his emotions so easily, and when he does let the anger break free, he is called 'savage' in opposition to the 'civilized'.
Men are said to be 'rational' in opposition to women who are 'emotional'.
In this days, the only burst of anger which is tolerated is when it's a young child who don't know how to conduct himself yet. For a man to openly be angry for a rebuttal is just plainly uncivilized.
For example, if you pass an interview for a job that you always longed for and the boss tells you that you're not taken at the end of it, is it a reason to start getting crazy in the room and to knock over the boss' desk ?
Is this OK to you ? I suppose no, so why will it be OK for this situation ?
Emotions (deception here) should not be an excuse to cover up foolishness. undecided
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by vixen2: 10:39pm On Jun 01, 2013
but i wouln't advice you2 2stil bcome lovers,cux d case is just certain dat she dnt want you as a husband

1 Like

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Multcolor: 10:47pm On Jun 01, 2013
Sanboy25:

I Like that
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by Sanboy25: 10:47pm On Jun 01, 2013
Multcolor: I Like that

Thanks. grin
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by strangest(m): 10:49pm On Jun 01, 2013
What else will you be discussing with a lady that turned you down... Its not about being angry at her for turning you down rather its more like there's nothing to talk about since she probably belongs to another man... Instead the best thing will be to move your attention somewhere else where it is appreciated..

11 Likes

Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by 50calibre(m): 10:50pm On Jun 01, 2013
First of all, no sane human being would reject my marriage proposal, but if for some crazy reason she does, I'm pulling out my glock and the rest is pretty obvious.
Re: Friends After Turning Down A Marriage Proposal? by dabrake(m): 10:51pm On Jun 01, 2013
I will be disappointed, no doubt. I will need to forget about her, will need to accept defeat and I will have to stay away from her for a while to enable me recover from the heartbreak, to enable me accept defeat and forget 'bout her. Do you girls have any idea of what we go through when we discover that the one we love is in love with someone else? that we are so close but we are still miles apart? The thought of knowing that at the end of the day, another guy will be cuddling her or seeing another guy kiss her in your presence? Abeg, gimme a break. Every guy's got a way he will handle such situation so saying I am childish will be unfair and daft. Sure, we will still be friends but I will need that period of time to recover.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guys After Looking At This Tatoo In Your NEW Girl Friend Iranu / Nairalands Hottest Man? / The Betrayal[A Love story]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.