Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament (2514 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / What Is The Significance Of Praying Before Eating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by bimpe001(f): 6:33pm On Apr 30, 2008
Does the new testament completely rule out the significance of the old testament?As some people just focus more on the new testament and maybe once in a while make references to the old testament!
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by mazaje(m): 6:43pm On Apr 30, 2008
The God potrayed in the new testament is not the same with the one in the old testament.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by JeSoul(f): 6:51pm On Apr 30, 2008
I think those who simply focus on the NT are missing out on a whole lot. There's so much to be learned from the OT, couple of which are the many prophecies made in the OT we see fulfilled in the NT. How would we know unless we read the OT?
There are many stories of the miracles and wonders that God did. We see a side of God and the greatness of His power in stories like the crossing of the red sea, the great flood, the plauges, the battles, making the sun stand still and go back etc . . .we have a glimpse in the OT to a God beyond imagination.
 One of the greatest points is that we see the difference between the old covenant and the new one we have through Jesus Christ. The purpose of the Law was to show us our need for Jesus. Thus having a knowledge of the past and how things were, we can better understand and appreciate what Jesus did for us on the cross. We are under grace as made possible by the death of Christ. . . a very different and an infinitely better system than the old folks had.

there are many more points but I'm sure my fellow NLder's will add them.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 30, 2008
the new testament has not ruled out anything,afterall d old testaments has lots of chapters for blessings(psalms deutronomy,isaiah,proverbs and so on) more than d new one,its just that d viloence in d old testament was been nolified by d death of christ,therefore providing us so much grace and mercy even when we err and err and err
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by dreamnaira(m): 10:37am On May 02, 2008
Jesus during his ministry on earth never oneday invalidate the OT, rather he said "think not that i am come to destroy the law, or the prophets{prophetic writings or prophecies}: i am not come to deatroy, but to filful. For verily, verily i say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot, or one title shall not in no wise pass from the law,till all be filfuled. Whosoever therefore shall teach break one of these commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Mtt5:17.

Jesus is not talking about the NT here but the OT. The NT is commentary of the OT.
Jesus "it is written" was not refering to NT but OT.

You can't build something on nothing, The NT is empty without the OT. The OT was written through christ command. "All scriptures{OT & NT}is given by inspiration of God" 2Timothy 3:16
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by olabowale(m): 12:28pm On May 02, 2008
@Mazaje:
The God potrayed in the new testament is not the same with the one in the old testament.
Two gods in one book: The Bible. One god for the Jews in OT. And a different god for the Christians in NT. I guess the christian brethrens saw yor entry and avoided it like a plague.

You are on your own, in explanation. Please try because I am many people are waiting to read your shaky explanation.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Frizy(m): 12:43pm On May 02, 2008
I think the history of the new testament is very shady. Early Christians who met with Jesus weren't worshipping him but Paul and the others began the doctrine that was believed to wipe away the truth. Christians no offence. Has anyone of you read the Gospel of Barnabas? His Gospel was probably before Paul's and he was an apostle to Jesus.
Paul never encountered Jesus face to face while he(Jesus) was alive except his claim that Jesus appeared to him even after his death. Barnabas' Gospel is the truth considering Jesus. And people(Christians) who believed in it were prosecuted.
The Church destroyed any link relating to the Gospel of Barnabas and became a strong advocate for Paul's false doctrine.

Therefore my conclusion is that the New testament most Christians believe in is not what Jesus himself preached. And God confirmed the Old testament changed in some parts in order to fit the rabbis' illegitimate means.

Why not believe in the Ko'ran and stop contemplating on which should be considered or not. That will surely save you from an awful doom.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by bawomolo(m): 4:26am On May 03, 2008
God went from God of the jews to God for everyone in the new testament. o merciful one
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by huxley(m): 8:21am On May 03, 2008
I wonder what Exodus 21:17 say?
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by elizabetta(f): 10:35am On May 03, 2008
Christians focus more on the NT because Christianity started with the NT Acts2.:37-47,in verse 47 the bible say and the "Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved"so u see that Christianity started when Jesus came.The OT is still important for us Christians because the bible also stated in Rom15:4, 1Cor10:11,"That whatsoever things were written afore-time were written for our learning that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope"also read Rom10:4,2Cor 3:13-14,Galatians3:10-12,verse24-25,Galatians5:14.the answers are there in these passages.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Backslider(m): 8:45am On May 09, 2008
THE NEW TESTAMENT IS THE OLD TESTAMENT REVEALED

To them hath understanding let him understand.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by AKO1(m): 10:55am On May 09, 2008
huxley:

I wonder what Exodus 21:17 say?

Who here has cursed their parents?
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by olabowale(m): 1:49pm On May 09, 2008
The questioner is asking that the exodus verse be thoroughly explained, pastor. Your asking question gives us an impression that you are trying to deflect your religious responsibility to us laypersons of nairaland. Please explain, instead of hidig behind a single finder of your hand!
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by donduke(m): 2:03pm On May 09, 2008
the old testament is the picture, the NT is the reality. We have type upon type in the OT to show us who the person and office of Jesus Christ will be. Without the prophecies of the OT, the NT will be an intrusion on history. So, the NT does not invalidate the OT. However, the NT does show that a lot of the religious ceremonies and rituals are abolished. The believer should wonder why he needs animal sacrifice when the supreme sacrifice - the cross - has been made.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by AKO1(m): 2:13pm On May 09, 2008
olabowale:

The questioner is asking that the exodus verse be thoroughly explained, pastor. Your asking question gives us an impression that you are trying to deflect your religious responsibility to us laypersons of nairaland. Please explain, instead of hidig behind a single finder of your hand!

I am not deflecting anything or hiding anywhere or trying to start an argument. I just do not see how the verse connects with or relates to this thread. If it does maybe Huxley can do us a favor and expatiate.

Regarding the exodus vers, this is what it says:
"Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.

It's a law of God under the old covenant. It does not apply today because we are under the new covenant. If you disagree with this youre on your own because I ain't getin into no useless argument with no moouslim. Because at the end of all the typing and rambling we still would not agree with each other.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by fyneguy: 12:39pm On May 10, 2008
@Ako

lol I have made up my mind not to embark on any religious argument with muslims. I will preach the gospel to them. Whoever loves himself will embrace Jesus.

It's really pointless discussing spiritual things with sense-ruled people muchless self-confessed slaves.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by fyneguy: 12:41pm On May 10, 2008
the forum changed the word mooslims to great ones. why?
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by olabowale(m): 6:49pm On May 10, 2008
The NT nollifies the OT only when its convenient to push the Christian agendas. Otherwise, it is left in the Bible to give the impression of fullness to the Bible.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by 4Him1(m): 6:58pm On May 10, 2008
olabowale:

The NT nollifies the OT only when its convenient to push the Christian agendas. Otherwise, it is left in the Bible to give the impression of fullness to the Bible.

Still parading your puerile, false arguments around? The NT is OT prophecy revealed, both are as relevant to the average christian today as they were 2000yrs ago.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Ndipe(m): 12:59am On May 11, 2008
Jesoul, May God Almighty bless you for that answer you gave in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Alwaystrue(f): 7:14am On Apr 15, 2013
I decided to revive this thread as I had told @Image123 on another thread for all who truly need more knowledge on how the old and the new testament relate to each other and how we can better understand the bible.

As the bible has said in:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
ALL Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work

All scripture is for our learning and equips us for the work of God and make us grow in maturity in the spirit. It shows the laws of God in entirety and how we can apply it correctly.

We can only understand fully how Christ fulfilled the law when we learn from his period on earth, how He walked and also through the help of the Holy Spirit, how we are o walk in the law of the spirit today.

Christians are no more under the law AS LONG AS they walk in the spirit neither are they ABOVE the law either. Christians are dead to the law when they are working in the spirit of God's laws to us as the law has no effect on us as Christians are fulfilling the laws of God in line with the way God intended it to be.
However, those who walk in the flesh are under the law of sin and death. This should be explained more and more as we progress in our study of the word of God.

Below is an article that can explain to some extent how Jesus fulfilled the law.
www.cbcg.org/franklin/SA/SA_fullfilllaw.pdf

I will like us to all come together for us to learn from each other on this topic.
Thanks.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Goshen360(m): 10:36am On Apr 15, 2013
I THINK I should use this good thread to clear up some MISCONCEPTIONS AND MISUNDERSTANDINGS about what I had been saying or teaching about the OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT INSTEAD OF STARTING A NEW THREAD because some people read me these days but don't understand me and accuse falsely. I will find good time to write intensively but very busy these days.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 15, 2013
Goshen360: I THINK I should use this good thread to clear up some MISCONCEPTIONS AND MISUNDERSTANDINGS about what I had been saying or teaching about the OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT INSTEAD OF STARTING A NEW THREAD because some people read me these days but don't understand me and accuse falsely. I will find good time to write intensively but very busy these days.

My brother, we have false accusers in the body of Christ, the bible spoke of them thus :

2 Timothy 3:3 ► Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Once upon a time we could discuss scriptures in love, these days the moment you disagree with the religious , they go on a personal vedanta , which is truly very unbecoming of those who call themselves Christian.

Though we do not always agree, I admire your maturity and patience when handling these sort of people.

I will join the discussion later on this evening.

Speak soon.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Alwaystrue(f): 11:54am On Apr 15, 2013
Jude 1:5
Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord[a] at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe

The deliverance of the Israelites by God through Moses from Egypt is similar to the deliverance of Jesus christ of His people only that this was an ultimate deliverance which included the shedding of His precious blood once and for all. We have been delivered from the world (often called Egypt nowadays) when we accept Jesus Christ. While the deliverance of the Israelites gave was to the giving of the law of Moses to keep them in line and seperate from the rest of the world as a people unto God, which the people could not meet up with as the flesh cannot fulfil the will of God, Jesus had to come and die thus condemning sin in the flesh so the righteousness of the law God gave years before MIGHT be fulfilled in those who walk after the SPIRIT.

Romans 8:3-4
3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit

This means that the flesh can not fulfill the righteousness of the law.

Galatians 5:16-25

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Now the scriptures above shows us the WORKS of the flesh as against the FRUITS of the spirit. Note that it did not say works of the spirit. The Holy spirit in us exhibits these fruits which will guide us in fulfilling the law of God and doing good works as it should which is the righteousness of the law. If the Israelites had this fruits, it would have made it easy not to sin as sin took occasion of the law to wrought all manner of evil in the body of men then. Let me stop here for now but i will continue later.
Your contributions, additions are welcome.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Goshen360(m): 12:05pm On Apr 15, 2013
You ACTUALLY need put things in proper perspective please. The thread is about old and new testament.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Goshen360(m): 12:07pm On Apr 15, 2013
First, for people to know is THE OLD TESTAMENT IS NOT A SET OF BOOK FROM GENESIS TO MALACHI and the New Testament is NOT A set of book from Matthew to Revelation.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by truthislight: 1:00pm On Apr 15, 2013
mazaje: The God potrayed in the new testament is not the same with the one in the old testament.

Gagagagash! This pikin sef! Na wa for you o!

No wonder you are an atheist today.

The way you see things! Na wao!

Smh for you!
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 15, 2013
The old testament is a beautiful book showing the universal and personal aspect of God and his relationship with his people who are called by his name,it reveals his love,mercy,jealousy,compassion,greatness,power,creativity,diversity,his supremacy,his will,his presence,his anger,his goodness and all that he is.The old testament is a recommended read to know the mind of God for us.

The new testament is a beginning of reconciliation of the whole universe back to the creator through love that all may know and worship the one true God. Love never fails.

2 Likes

Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Alwaystrue(f): 4:23pm On Apr 16, 2013
James 4:1-6
1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble

1 What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you? 2 You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. 3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. 4 You adulterers![a] Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. 5 What do you think the Scriptures mean when they say that the spirit God has placed within us is filled with envy? 6 But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say,
“God opposes the proud
but favors the humble.”

Above are two translations of the scriptures in James 4. I quoted this because of the ongoing killings and bombings all over the world. In Nigeria, in the middle east and now in America, which happened yesterday. May the Lord comfort the families of the departed and grant speedy recovery to those who are recuperating from the wounds they sustained.

Lust is a major sin which leads to covetousness, idolatry, killing, wars, adultery and a host of other sins covered in the bible.
Infact the first sin committed in the bible was through lust as shown below. If you read Genesis 3:1-19 but I will quote this relevant verses:

Genesis 3:6
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

I John 2:15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

A quick comparism of the two scriptures show their uncanny similarity. When the woman saw the tree was good for food (lust fo the flesh), and it was pleasant to the eyes (lust of the eyes) and it is to be desired to make one wise (pride of life), she showed where her love was and this made her to sin.
God gave them the liberty of all the wonderful, sumptuous fruits in the garden but it was the one that God had told them not to eat of that they lusted after. This shows how sin through the commandment wrought evil.

Romans 7:8
But sin used this command to arouse all kinds of covetous desires within me! If there were no law, sin would not have that power.

Now we see how sin entered the world, through lust and throughout the old testament, atonement for sin was always through shedding of blood of unblemished animals in most cases till Christ came to the world and walked and talked as He was sent by God the Father, died as the final atonement for sin such that anyone who receives Jesus Christ has all his sins washed away and receives a new life of walking in the spirit as against the flesh even though both continually war against each other as Paul said in:

Romans 7:23-25
But I discern in my bodily members [[d]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh] a different law (rule of action) at war against the law of my mind (my reason) and making me a prisoner to the law of sin that dwells in my bodily organs [[e]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh].
24 O unhappy and pitiable and wretched man that I am! Who will release and deliver me from [the shackles of] this body of death?
25 O thank God! [He will!] through Jesus Christ (the Anointed One) our Lord! So then indeed I, of myself with the mind and heart, serve the Law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin

@Adromida,
Thanks for the submission. Our relationship with God now is of sonship and we serve God because He loves us and not because we need to earn his love. The love of His Son has covered the multitude of our sins thus giving us a clean slate to walk with Him in Spirit and in truth.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by shdemidemi(m): 5:13pm On Apr 16, 2013
The book of Genesis is in the Old Testament but it stands on its own cos it is abt humanity as a whole.
The Old Testament from exodus to Mathew mark Luke and John is majorly the history of the Jewish people.

The New Testament in reality started from the book of Acts. This is more important to me because it was a direct letter to the church.
The most important part of the bible for any Christian is the Pauline epistle. Major teachings in churches should gyre around Apostle Paul's teachings.

Other prophets in the New Testament directed their teachings to the 12 tribes of Isreal

The book of revelation stands on its own too cos its mostly about after life events.

All in all we should try and know how God dealt with His chosen peopl and the many mysteries that were hidden to them.

Col 1:26 [Even] the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

Many Christians ignorantly go to Old Testament to pick fantastic promises to tap from their blessings.
An ignorant move cos God was not referring to the church in the Old Testament, no more bread or water from heaven (even for the present Jew)

Many MOG won't teach the epistles cos of its technicality, they would rather be quoting from Isaiah n all teaching people things that would never happen again in this dispensation.

God bless.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 16, 2013
Ok, I'm following.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
Well for me.....

New testament( Acts to Revelation) corresponds to 'protein'. Provides saints with the principles of God's word that are essential building blocks for spiritual growth and development.

Gospels(matthew to john)-correspond to the 'fats'. Contain complementary detailed accounts on the life of Jesus that highlight principles and instructions of how Jesus the pattern Son walked on the Earth. This will enable the new testament Christian to walk as Jesus walked being more conformed to His image.

Old testament( genesis to malachi)- correspond to 'carbohydrates'. Reveal principles of the new testament in types and shadows and also highlights prophetic timing thereby strongly motivating the saints to act on these to increase and prosper spiritually and physically.

Proverbs-correspond to 'vitamins'. Needed in relatively smaller quantities daily, but vital for providing wisdom and instruction to enable the saint practice principles of the word of God.

Psalms-correspond to 'minerals' these are also necessary only in small quantities but are extremely important for spiritual well being as they inspire, comfort and encourage the saints because the new testament church is called the tabernacle of David. So the psalms contain vital quantities of prophetic truth that are presently applicable to the new testament christian.

Conclusively both OT and NT are essentially needed for a 'balanced diet' to foster consistent spiritual growth in the life of every child of God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"boko Haram" Are They Fighting A Just Cause? / Yahweh: Babes Raped Forced To Marry The Rapist? / SERMON JOTTERS: The Priest With Dirty Garment [d.r D.K Olukoya]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.