Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners (82612 Views)

Makeover,ankara & Cake Training For Beginners & Upgraders In Warri-delta State / Free Microsoft Excel Training Materials: From Beginners To Advanced / What Tinder Did For Dating, Tableau Wants To Do For Spreadsheets (BI) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 2:17am On Nov 18, 2013
esere826:
are u alking about creating a table? (i.e. put lines around the data that you are working on)

pls explain some more

.....cheers

I thought she meant printing of gridlines? Oh well grin grin grin
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by esere826: 8:53am On Nov 18, 2013
manny4life:

I thought she meant printing of gridlines? Oh well grin grin grin

LOL
Lets live at 'Table' for now
Gridline feels too much like power transformer
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
manny4life:

I know you weren't asking me, but I may be able to help. What was the question?

I just meant general GPA calculation. I am aware my level adviser use it in computing our result, I have tried and couldn't get it. Will be grateful if you can help(citing any example)
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 12:13am On Nov 19, 2013
torres2:

I just meant general GPA calculation. I am aware my level adviser use it in computing our result, I have tried and couldn't get it. Will be grateful if you can help(citing any example)

If I understand you clearly, you want to know how to compute CGPA?

Your CGPA is made up of different grade points divided by total number of course hours. Each grade (denoted alphabetically) has a point. For instance, your university may grade an A as 4.00 and an A- as 3.75, however, your school (for instance, School of Management) may grade specific core courses just a lil under the same grade. For instance, in previous example, your school graded A- as a 3.75+ for general courses, while your School of Management may grade an A- as 3.60+, this differs from schools to schools, courses vs courses and what not.

To compute CGPA, you need to understand how to compute GP, GPA and then CGPA...

Grade Point formula is

Number of points x number of credits for the course = GP.

For instance, like my example above, a student scored an A- on his course, this course is a standard 3cr hr, therefore, per the formula

Number of Points (3.75) * Number of Credit Hours for the course (3cr hr) = 11.25 Grade Points.

Assuming the student took Five classes for semester one with the following Grade Points

11.25, 11.75, 9.75, 10.50, and 12, his total grade point is sum of all grade points = 58.9333

However, to obtain his Grade Point Average (GPA), the formula is

Sum of all grade points / Sum of credit hours for each class

Assuming that each class had the standard 3cr hr, his GPA is

Sum of all grade points (58.9333) / Sum of all credit hours (15cr hrs) = 3.68 GPA

3.68 is the students GPA for that semester.

Now for the "CUMULATIVE", this is simply the sum of all semester grade points / Sum of all semester credit hours ... So from Semester 1 through Semester 8 or 9, Sum ALL the students "GRADE POINTS" not GRADE POINT AVERAGE and divide by number of credit hours.

So from the example, the student has 58.933 in semester 1, assuming he had 59.347 in semester 2 taking 15cr hrs, and 58.125 in semester 3 for 16cr hrs, his cumulative GPA is

Sum of ALL Grade points (58.933 + 59.347 + 58.125 = 176.405)

Sum of ALL Credit hours (15cr + 15cr + 16cr hrs = 46cr hrs)

Divide 176.405 / 46 = 3.83 CGPA.

CGPA at the end of the third semester is 3.83.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 12:17am On Nov 19, 2013
I hope I answered your question without divulging too much information.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by pharmguru: 11:51am On Nov 20, 2013
@ OP when s d next tutorial due? grin
nice work bro....keep d gud work goin
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 7:08pm On Nov 24, 2013
I have tons of questions for entry-level, basic, intermediate and prolly advanced Excel users, coming soon.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Yinkaolu(m): 7:10pm On Dec 01, 2013
OP! Please, what are and how do I use VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP and LOOKUP functions? Thanks
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by helenoftroy: 10:34am On Dec 20, 2013
Hey am just joining the class for the first time and its quite interesting pls can you put more light on the summation of B10 to get the 90000. That is your total expenditure cos I have tried to drag and am not getting it. Pls urgent reply thanks
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Yinkaolu(m): 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
esere826: Hey guys. How una dey.
I am going to teach/baby feed us basic spreadsheets skills. This skill is one you wont regret having.
You could use it in both your every day life, and your career -so, its not a waste of time

We'll practice spreadsheets by analysing your salary vs expenditure. You will now be able to understand how you use your money, and thus dispel ur superstitious believe that na winch dey steal ya money.

I'll also try to use very simple languages so that even if na coconut water u carry for head, u can understand.

*Please pray for me to have the strength to finish this tutorial....Tnx*
Op! Please, how do I use VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP and SEARCH? Pls respond
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by amosade30(m): 6:29pm On Dec 21, 2013
Pls I nid sm1 wu cn teach me autocad,ms word and excel veri wel,or sm1 we can practice 2geda..lag onli..tnx
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by klif(m): 3:09pm On Dec 25, 2013
Test 3
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 10:49pm On Dec 28, 2013
Yinkaolu:
Op! Please, how do I use VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP and SEARCH? Pls respond

There are tutorials out there, but I can upload something for you that will be easier... Give me sometime to work on tabulating data first.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by micklplus(m): 10:46am On Dec 29, 2013
@ thread starter, you have done well. Nice job and God bless.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Yinkaolu(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2013
manny4life:

There are tutorials out there, but I can upload something for you that will be easier... Give me sometime to work on tabulating data first.

THANKS AND WAITING
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 5:09am On Jan 04, 2014
Yinkaolu:

THANKS AND WAITING

Unfortunately I'm not good with posting edited pics, and also, I need about four column data to show you.. If you have a four column and 30+ rows of data, upload the file and I will show you.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by walelamina: 12:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
What is a grunt fuction used for in excel? also can I know some advanced functions used 2move n store large datas , in a case wia d. Dbserver is down, n u jus av 2 result 2 excel using excel.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 10:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
walelamina: What is a grunt fuction used for in excel? also can I know some advanced functions used 2move n store large datas , in a case wia d. Dbserver is down, n u jus av 2 result 2 excel using excel.

No offense, but you're not making any sense.
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 10:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by oyacademy: 4:51pm On Jan 08, 2014
FREE LECTURE ON MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. INVITE FRIENDS. DON'T MISS IT. TRY IT FOR FREE.

From 13th-31st Jan.
Time: 9am-4pm
Address: 19 GODWIN ENABODJE STR CENTER B/STOP AGRIC. IKORODU LAGOS.
Call: 07038997211, 08187467313. PIN: 2753C9D4

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by manny4life(m): 7:46pm On Jan 08, 2014
Finally

What is VLOOKUP?

V + LOOK+ UP = VLOOKUP

V = Vertical

LOOKUP = Search

VLOOKUP is a function, a predefined formula used to search for information across columns in a table. This function serves a very important purpose, when you have a large data set and you're trying to locate an a text field, number of any sort of string, rather than scrolling several thousands of rows below, this function comes handy.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-gfbhnR028Vk/Usx1iiLClUI/AAAAAAAAAes/YEOqK5BVREE/s1600/Image+1-a.jpg[/img]

For the purpose of this illustration, above is a sample table file with basic information.

The table above is an inventory manifest list, there are several "rows" of data with usable information in each column. Assuming that I had 1,000 rows of data and I wanted to search for a "Part #", I will use VLOOKUP feature to automate my search and avoid repetition.

On this table, I will use the part # to lookup the price, therefore, the Part # is our lookup field.

A good example of where VLOOKUP application is utilized is using this function to fill out "INVOICE INFORMATION. I will explain more in details.

The table has SEVEN columns of data

Column a: Part numbers (#)
Column b: Fulfillment Center
Column c: Product group
Column d: Item name (description)
Column e: Qty
Column f: Price
Column g: Extended cost ( # of qty x price per piece)

Now the next portion is using VLOOKUP to search for information.

NOTE: The Lookup Data MUST always be the first left column, this makes the argument easier. In the table, when I enter the function argument, the part number will be our lookup data.

Next, below is a table showing the function

[img]http://1.bp..com/-5Xn6RfeS3e0/Usx1kU-TQPI/AAAAAAAAAe0/o92BauCI0no/s1600/Image+1-b.jpg[/img]

This is the function argument for VLOOKUP

=VLOOKUP(lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num, [range_lookup])

a. lookup_value: This is the value used as a search reference. In the table above, this would be the "part #" = "C6"

b. table_array: This is search reference table. In this case, I will reference the previous tab "Master file", and select B5:H27

c. column_index_num: This is the column referenced to get the resultant information from. In this case, the pricing is what I want. NOTE, it's asking for the "num" meaning number, therefore, I have to count from the left of the "table_array", which is number SIX (6)
d. [range_lookup]: This is explanatory, unless you're seeking an for rounded results, USE the "FALSE" option... False ALWAYS returns an exact match. In this case, I am looking for an exact price for the unique part number.

Combining the information will give us this function argument.

=VLOOKUP(C6, Master File '!B5:H27,6,FALSE)

[img]http://3.bp..com/-fqIj1Mie5wA/Usx1lzhLC_I/AAAAAAAAAe8/-tXGzu65oBc/s1600/Image+1-c.jpg[/img]

Having entered this function argument in C7= pricing, because the precedent cell is "null" value, it will return a "#N/A" result. However, the moment I entered a part #, it populates the pricing for that item. This is how VLOOKUPis used. Furthermore, I applied the same rule to the last two and the right should be used for activity exercise.

NOTE: The VLOOKUP function table is different from the previous table, this is because the previous table does not have $$$ signs. Absolute and Relative reference are very important because when a cell is moved, if you want to maintain the cell integrity, it is imperative to make it "ABSOLUTE". To do this, you have to change the reference from "Relative" to "Absolute", by highlight the cell information such as "B5" and press F4. This toggles between both references. I used absolute reference because I wanted to keep the absolute range of B5:H27.

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Yinkaolu(m): 11:53am On Jan 09, 2014
@Manny4life: You have been so helpful. Thanks
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
more tutorials o!
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 8:59am On Jul 18, 2014
CAN SOMEONE PLS HELP ME ON HOW TO CREATE A "DROP DOWN LIST" ON EXCEL?

By this I meant having a cell with an arrow which you can click and see a drop down of some list of items from which you can choose from.

ALSO, I'LL NEED A HELP ON HOW TO CREATE A CELL THAT CONTAINS A CONDITIONAL STATEMENT FOR WHICH YOU CAN GET ANY OF 3 COLOURS AND A SUM FUNCTION.

BYthis I meant having a cell for say a yearly certification requirement such that if the certificate is still valid the cell will display GREEN and the expected expiry date; if the certificate will expire in a month's time, the cell will displace YELLOW and the expiry date; and if the certificate has expired, the cell will display RED and the expiry date. This will enable a planner plan to recertify an item before it expires.

I'll be glad to get a HELP from the team here.

Kingsleyinfo:

Bros nor mind our teacher o.... e just dey try tell us say, incase you get coconut head, you better go drain the water comot , because seriously, excel is the most tasking package of the whole lot...

Back to topic... fantastic job op, hopefully peeps can take advantage of this and become better at using this awesome package.

Personally am already in advanced level... currently studying VBA and am loving it...
Shebi dem say we wen nor get 2.1 no go get jobs, lets wait and see na.... we go learn until we sabi everything ni...

Oga esere abeg make the lessons continue, but tell them say na those when their coconut head nor get water again go fit understand am o grin grin grin

I actually taught excel during my NYSC to fellow corpers, so if our input is needed, we will happily become your graduate assistant grin grin grin

Time is what I have plenty of at the moment, but hopefully not for long angry angry
Re: Learn How To Use Excel Spreadsheets For Beginners by boay(m): 2:07pm On Jul 18, 2014
Please we need more tutorials ooo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Police Officer Meagan Hall Dismissed For On-Shift Sex Romps & Illicit Affairs / Female Graduate Is A Taxi Driver In Abuja (photos) / Man Spotted Love Machine In Their Office Today - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.