Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? (1277 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 02, 2013
Just some thoughts
that came up inside my
head recently. I believe
there's no question
about the presence of
slaves from Eboe
country on the
territories in the past..

(1) Where are the
descendants of these
one-time Igbo slaves in
Bonny/Opobo today?

(2) Were there any
conditions that
prevented their
reproducing of
offsprings at any point
in history?
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by tpia5: 1:22am On Jun 03, 2013
can you explain #2?
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by tpia5: 1:23am On Jun 03, 2013
the mothers who had to run away after giving birth to twins, where did they run to?
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 03, 2013
tpia@:
can you explain #2?

Well, basically a neutral in the controversy between the igbo and ijaw posters. Just interested in seeking the truth in all things. Since there had been claims of nothing Igbo on the territories. So #2 is just offering such claimants some possibilities for their stand.
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by tpia5: 3:56pm On Jun 03, 2013
ok, i get it now.
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by tpia5: 3:58pm On Jun 03, 2013
do you have any info on where the mothers of twins were exiled to?

seems they had to run away after delivery, but there doesnt seem to be much info on where they went- was it their hometowns or somewhere else.
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 03, 2013
tpia@:
do you have any info on where the mothers of twins were exiled to?

seems they had to run away after delivery, but there doesnt seem to be much info on where they went- was it their hometowns or somewhere else.

Hearing this for the first time too. But if the mothers of twins ran away, what about the fathers and other women who didn't give birth to twins? Did they run too?
Re: Where Are The Descendants Of The Igbo Slaves In Bonny/opobo Today? by tpia5: 3:11am On Jun 04, 2013
Having twins was considered one of the highest abominations and the mothers had to run away back then, after delivery.

I dont know if the fathers had to do the same.

Other mothers who didnt have twins would be okay i'd assume.

now, in the southwest, tradition has it there were sort of "sanctuary cities" where mothers of twins were sent, back in the days when twins were considered taboo. (At least we hear of one instance, I'm assuming maybe it became a trend, not sure though), so i wonder if the same also happened elsewhere, in the areas where twins were banned and the mothers banished after the birth.

(1) (Reply)

The First Poem I Wrote In The Igbo Language... What Do You Think Of It? / Happy New Years To Nairaland / Photos : Traditional Wedding Of Ooni Of Ife & Wuraola Zynab Otiti In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.