Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,886 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:37 AM

Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood (668 Views)

Holy Thursday, Footwashing , And The Institution Of The Priesthood / What You Should Know About Catholic Church / Was Mary And Joseph A Good Parents? Am Just Being Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood by olajide21: 10:34am On Jun 04, 2013
I have wondered over time if there are any part of the catholic bible where they were instructed to forgo marital bliss and remain unmarried. If the rest of the world decides to be as pious as the catholic priest and sisters, what would happen to the world in the next 100 years.......... God knows better that is why He created Adam, Knows Adams needs a companion both in Worshiping God and Procreation and added Eve and not STEVE.

Kindly note that this not a case of castigation but .................... just wanted to know if there are such laws, and if there are why are others not following in that steps?
Re: Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 04, 2013
You do not mean to castigate and you bring STEVE into the equation?

I laugh!!!
Re: Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood by Nobody: 10:45am On Jun 04, 2013
striktlymi: You do not mean to castigate and you bring in STEVE into the equation?

I laugh!!!

I laugh harder, bro!

but sha you could have done more to help cure the op's ignorance on the RCC
Re: Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:50am On Jun 04, 2013
olajide21: I have wondered over time if there are any part of the catholic bible where they were instructed to forgo marital bliss and remain unmarried. If the rest of the world decides to be as pious as the catholic priest and sisters, what would happen to the world in the next 100 years.......... God knows better that is why He created Adam, Knows Adams needs a companion both in Worshiping God and Procreation and added Eve and not STEVE.

Kindly note that this not a case of castigation but .................... just wanted to know if there are such laws, and if there are why are others not following in that steps?

That's why people should not copy jesus. If we all start walking around jobless, not having babies and being generally unproductive, humankind is doomed. That jew is a bad example.
Re: Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 04, 2013
olajide21: I have wondered over time if there are any part of the catholic bible where they were instructed to forgo marital bliss and remain unmarried.

@Bold: There is no such thing as the 'Catholic Bible'...there is just one bible that was handed down and if that bible is any different from what the Catholic church uses officially then go and ask the others how they arrived at their own version.

@Red: In the Catholic church there is what we call 'divine laws' and 'Church laws'...Divine laws cannot be changed but on the other hand, church laws are subject to modifications.

The law that prohibits priests from marrying is a church law and can be changed tomorrow if the church decides to change it.

Note too that Sacred scriptures is not against people being unmarried...to be married is a very good thing but Sacred scriptures made us understand that there are those who freely choose to be unmarried for the sake of the kingdom:

Matthew 19:12
King James Version (KJV)

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and t[b]here be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.[/b] He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

St Paul further explains:

1 Corinthians 7:6-9
King James Version (KJV)

6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. 8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I. 9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

olajide21:
If the rest of the world decides to be as pious as the catholic priest and sisters, what would happen to the world in the next 100 years.......... God knows better that is why He created Adam, Knows Adams needs a companion both in Worshiping God and Procreation and added Eve and not STEVE.

If the rest of the world decides to remain celibate then that is their decision. The Catholic church does not approve of Gay relationships.

olajide21:

I hear ya!

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Gospel? Was It A New Idea? / Scientific Study: Religious People Are Dumber Than Aethists. / Church Suspends Couple For Dancing To “worldly Secular” Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.