Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:35 AM

Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. (7129 Views)

"I Will Accept Any Government Appointment From Buhari" – Jega / May God Forbid That Any Government Will Repeat What Gej's Did – Oby Ezekwesil / I'm A Friend To Any Government In Power-Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 11:54am On Jun 04, 2013
[b]The major problem we have in Igboland is that we pander so much to any Government in power whether this is out of sheer lack of political sophistication, cowardice or inability to
speak fairly with one voice or combination of the above, the political scientists are yet to unravel this. The log goes;
Shagari--------------Igbos voted massively
IBB------------------Cheiftancy Titles here and there!
1993 Elections------- Igbos supported IBB candidates.
Abacha----------------Strongest base was East.
Obasanjo--------------- Igbos supported him against our own Ekwueme
Yardua- ---------------won all the states in East
GEJ- -------------------Largest support base is in the East
I always laugh away people's ignorance when they claim, Igbo support Jonathan out of tribal or ethnic lines because had Yardua been alive today, he would have enjoyed the same massive support as Jonathan from the Igbo. We are too timid and crude when it comes to playing Nigerian politics, always not wanting to upset the apple cart. Until we do that for once, other regions will never respect and give us our deals when it comes to sharing the spoils. Let the fair minded Igbo Guys on this forum discuss this. Ka Chineke mezie okwu, Ka udo chia na'ala Igbo![/b]

7 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 11:59am On Jun 04, 2013
The reason is not far fetched. You have to look at the history of Igbos to understand while they pander on whoever is in power. The civil war left us in a very bad state politically. Even the fact that Igbos always seem to follow whoever is in power hasn't really helped us. So, being in the opposition is actually going to be worse because despite being a major ethnic group, we don't have the political power to renegade the powers that be. You don't want to imagine what will become of Igbos and Igboland if they were in the opposition.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by mekaboy(m): 12:10pm On Jun 04, 2013
1, We are not humble, everyone is a leader

2, We love money,

3, We r selfish, and out for our selfish interest.

4, Money is a measure for maturity.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:11pm On Jun 04, 2013
mekaboy: 1, We are not humble, everyone is a leader

2, We love money,

3, We r selfish, and out for our selfish interest.

4, Money is a measure for maturity.
Absolute Bunkum! I disagree wholeheartedly.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 12:11pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva: The reason is not far fetched. You have to look at the history of Igbos to understand while they pander on whoever is in power. The civil war left us in a very bad state politically. Even the fact that Igbos always seem to follow whoever is in power hasn't really helped us. So, being in the opposition is actually going to be worse because despite being a major ethnic group, we don't have the political power to renegade the powers that be. You don't want to imagine what will become of Igbos and Igboland if they were in the opposition.

So your suggestion is that we keep trying the same thing over and over again, expecting a luck to swim our way? We can't we try the opposition and see whether we can get our respect back even though we may not win, at least it would send a very strong signal that we are also a major determinant in the power calculations? Because the way the igbos are going ahead to endorse Jonathan even when his Niger delta tribal warlords are yet to begin, is to say very pathetic. And also tends to affirm the widely held wrong notion that we have our price! Afam think!

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 04, 2013
@Op..not true. Igbos massively AND genuinely supports GEJ. That support is real and unshakable. If you doubt, go to the streets today and confirm or consider the result of the POLL done recently by one private organisation.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/132031-again-jonathans-approval-rating-takes-a-beating.html

As for the other politicians- OBJ, Yar Adua and co -the so called support, if it exists, was ARTIFICIAL. The elections that produced those leaders were MASSIVELY manipulated. I'v witnessed elections in the east since 1999, but the TRUTH is that prior to 2011 (and may 2010 Anambra gubernatorial election) there has NEVER been an election in the east. Results are just announced from no where.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:15pm On Jun 04, 2013
Clerverly:

So your suggestion is that we keep trying the same thing over and over again, expecting a luck to swim our way? We can't we try the opposition and see whether we can get our respect back even though we may not win, at least it would send a very strong signal that we are also a major determinant in the power calculations? Because the way the igbos are going ahead to endorse Jonathan even when his Niger delta tribal warlords are yet to begin, is to say very pathetic. And also tends to affirm the widely held wrong notion that we have our price! Afam think!
I want us to try where we're most likely to get a break. The situation became precarious with the death of Yaradua. Had Yaradua been alive and completed his tenure, the presidency would have moved down south and the Igbos would have been in contention for the seat. Unfortunately, he died and his deputy who is from the south took over. Now, it's more precarious because it's most unlikely for the presidency to move from one southerner to another. But i guess some Igbo leaders are just looking at how things will pan out before they decide on their next political move hence the need to support JOnathan hoping that he would hand over to a S-easterner.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Garrithe1st: 12:16pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva: The reason is not far fetched. You have to look at the history of Igbos to understand while they pander on whoever is in power. The civil war left us in a very bad state politically. Even the fact that Igbos always seem to follow whoever is in power hasn't really helped us. So, being in the opposition is actually going to be worse because despite being a major ethnic group, we don't have the political power to renegade the powers that be. You don't want to imagine what will become of Igbos and Igboland if they were in the opposition.

The War gets all the blame...

SMH

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:17pm On Jun 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Shameless LIAR! Igbos massively AND genuinely supports GEJ. That support is real and unshakable. If you doubt, go to the streets today and confirm or consider the result of the POLL done recently by one private organisation.

As for the other politicians- OBJ, Yar Adua and co -the so called support, if it exists, was ARTIFICIAL. The elections that produced those leaders were MASSIVELY manipulated. I'v witnessed elections in the east since 1999, but the TRUTH is that prior to 2011 (and may 2010 Anambra gubernatorial election) there has NEVER been an election in the east. Results are just announced from no where.
But is it not a shame that we're always at the supporting end rather than being the supported. I think it's shameful for a so-called majority ethnic group.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Garri the 1st:

The War gets all the blame...

SMH
It doesn't get all the blame but it plays a very huge part in the political relevance of Igbos today. If you have any point to dispute it then go ahead.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
Igbos have no bargaining chips. They've turned themselves to political football that two other major ethnic groups kick around. Igbos always go for the highest bidders. Sad!

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Sealeddeal(m): 12:31pm On Jun 04, 2013
There is nothing like Igbos pandering for any government power. Igbos support for GEJ is the only genuine support from Igbos i have seen.Igbos are very politically mature but not in Nigerian style;the civil war caused this.
The civil war displaced Igbos from the opportunity to be heard especially as pertaining the politics at federal level and as such made Igbos to be ruled and not among the rulers thereby making Igbos slaves to the center. Since 1999,the votes of Igbos didnt count until 2011 when Igbos deliberately voted massively for GEJ.Igbos didnt vote for Jonathan out of perceived pandering with govt at center but for love.On ther other hand, Igbos did not vote any of the past leaders out of the perceived pandering but Instead,Igbos were used. In fact,the support that some past regime get from east exist only among the set of federal appointee and relevant seeker and not really the Igbo support as those few didnt in anyway represent the feelings amongs Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
But is it not a shame that we're always at the supporting end rather than being the supported. I think it's shameful for a so-called majority ethnic group.
In 2011, no Igbo contested the race with GEJ, from the primary level to the general election. But for all the others- Yar Adua, OBJ and co- Igbo aspirants contested with them at one level or the other. For instance, Ekwueme and OBJ keenly contested for the PDP primary ticket in 1999. But the powers that be were not comfortable with an Igbo man so they gave it to OBJ. That has always been case.

But this is a new dispensation brought about by the death of Yar Adua and the powers that be. The Igbos played the RIGHT politics in 2011 by supporting GEJ. Apart from the issue of performance, there was no point dividing the votes of the former eastern Nigeria. Even in terms of performance, past leaders (from other geopolitical zones) FAILED WOEFULLY. So why would you expect Igbos to oppose GEJ? At the appropriate time, Igbos would also need the support of the former eastern Nigeria to clinch the number position in the country.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
I really hope we will learn before its too late, I have always spoken about this topic but it seems something is wrong somewhere
We voted Obj over Ojukwu, this is unbelievable, we are now condemning rochas over GEJ, is this not absolutely shameful?
If you speak against Gej (ijaw) you become a traitor or less igbo
We are the only region that gives all its vote to one party in the presidential election since 1999, even the northerners that call dumb are split their votes same with other regions which show political maturity

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
In 2011, no Igbo contested the race with GEJ, from the primary level to the general election. But for all the others- Yar Adua, OBJ and co- Igbo aspirants contested with them at one level or the other. For instance, Ekwueme and OBJ keenly contested for the PDP primary ticket in 1999. But the powers that were not comfortable with an Igbo man so they gave it to OBJ. That has always been case.

But this is a new dispensation brought about by the death of Yar Adua and the powers that be. The Igbos played the right politics in 2011 by supporting GEJ. Apart from the issue of performance, there was no point dividing the votes of the former eastern Nigeria. Even in times of performance, past leaders (from other geopolitical zones FAILED WOEFULLY). So why would you expect Igbos to oppose GEJ? At the appropriate time, Igbos would also need the support for the former eastern Nigeria to clinch the number position in the country.
This is when you may get the shocker of your life. That's why i keep telling Igbos not to support any candidate wholeheartedly like they're doing for Jonathan. His people will rather vote a Togolese than an Igbo man. We have to start being our own people. Let's stop these Old Eastern Nigerian bullsh1t that is bereft of truth. It's only Igbos that live with this delusion that the people of the old eastern region will support them when it's there turn. Only time will tell.

@Cleverly
You opened a thread to seek for opinion and you shouldn't start insulting people if they hold an opposite opinion from yours. let's keep things civil or i'll have to take an action. Thanks.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 12:41pm On Jun 04, 2013
Who is hiding my posts here! He called me a shameless lair and replied him, and you hid my posts?
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by achi4u(m): 12:42pm On Jun 04, 2013
The day we supported Obj(a yorubaman)instead of our own Alex Ekwueme(if that is TRUE) is the day our political land sliding started and such an opportunity will only occur again after Gej second tenure in office.
Op the way you painted igbos one may think we're that weak and cannot define our future,smh you are right at the other hand ur'nt because are a force to be reckon with despite our lapses.

@mekaboy nawa for you o! lol we're not the only money bag in this country....yes we need that cash.grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Abagworo(m): 12:42pm On Jun 04, 2013
We can generalize based on majority but some Igbos like myself follow where there are signs of change and truth.
Igbos need to learn that you fight to earn recognition and nothing can be given to you on a plata of gold.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 12:45pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is when you may get the shocker of your life. That's why i keep telling Igbos not to support any candidate wholeheartedly like they're doing for Jonathan. His people will rather vote a Togolese than an Igbo man. We have to start being our own people. Let's stop these Old Eastern Nigerian bullsh1t that is bereft of truth. It's only Igbos that live with this delusion that the people of the old eastern region will support them when it's there turn. Only time will tell.

@Cleverly
You opened a thread to seek for opinion and you shouldn't start insulting people if they hold an opposite opinion from yours. let's keep things civil or i'll have to take an action. Thanks.

But he said this to me yet no action
Sincere 9gerian: Shameless LIAR! Igbos massively AND genuinely supports GEJ. That support is real and unshakable. If you doubt, go to the streets today and confirm or consider the result of the POLL done recently by one private organisation.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/132031-again-jonathans-approval-rating-takes-a-beating.html

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 12:46pm On Jun 04, 2013
Abagworo: We can generalize based on majority but some Igbos like myself follow where there are signs of change and truth.
Igbos need to learn that you fight to earn recognition and nothing can be given to you on a plata of gold.

The same with me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
achi4u: The day we supported Obj(a yorubaman)instead of our own Alex Ekwueme(if that is TRUE) is the day our political land sliding started and such an opportunity will only occur again after Gej second tenure in office.
Op the way you painted igbos one may think we're that weak and cannot define our future,smh you are right at the other hand ur'nt because are a force to be reckon with despite our lapses.

@mekaboy nawa for you o! lol we're not the only money bag in this country....yes we need that cash.grin
Alex Ekwueme contested as a PDP aspirant and not a candidate and even if all the Igbo PDP members had votes for him, he couldn't have won. The votes he even got in the primaries were most likely from South-Easterners. Had he switched to another party when he lost the primaries to Obasanjo, it would have been a different case.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Sealeddeal(m): 12:49pm On Jun 04, 2013
achi4u: The day we supported Obj(a yorubaman)instead of our own Alex Ekwueme(if that is TRUE) is the day our political land sliding started and such an opportunity will only occur again after Gej second tenure in office.

do You know what 'power that be' means? There is no way Igbos can make Ekwueme win. In fact,i take it as a lie to hear that Igbos voted for Obj instead of Ekwueme because,the vote has nothing to do with Igbos as Ekwueme didnt contest general election.It was a PDP affair of which OBJ won narrowly and i dont think u'll say Ekwueme got only Hausa support while Obj used Igbo votes to win. You've got to see this with reasons and not emotion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by coogar: 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2013
Clerverly: [b]The major problem we have in Igboland is that we pander so much to any Government in power whether this is out of sheer lack of political sophistication, cowardice or inability to
speak fairly with one voice or combination of the above, the political scientists are yet to unravel this. The log goes;
Shagari--------------Igbos voted massively
IBB------------------Cheiftancy Titles here and there!
1993 Elections------- Igbos supported IBB candidates.
Abacha----------------Strongest base was East.
Obasanjo--------------- Igbos supported him against our own Ekwueme
Yardua- ---------------won all the states in East
GEJ- -------------------Largest support base is in the East
I always laugh away people's ignorance when they claim, Igbo support Jonathan out of tribal or ethnic lines because had Yardua been alive today, he would have enjoyed the same massive support as Jonathan from the Igbo. We are too timid and crude when it comes to playing Nigerian politics, always not wanting to upset the apple cart. Until we do that for once, other regions will never respect and give us our deals when it comes to sharing the spoils. Let the fair minded Igbo Guys on this forum discuss this. Ka Chineke mezie okwu, Ka udo chia na'ala Igbo![/b]

the igbos suffer from a political identity crisis....
people still blaming the war are clueless - if the igbos choose one leader and support him massively, he would win.

however, this is mere fantasy. the love of money, cheap tribalism and lack of unity are a hindrance. i don't think there can ever be an igbo president - a woman would lead nigeria before someone from the eastern nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:52pm On Jun 04, 2013
coogar:

the igbos suffer from a political identity crisis....
people still blaming the war are clueless - if the igbos choose one leader and support him massively, he would win.
In Igboland, we don't choose leaders. Our style and definition of leadership is different. That what some of you have failed to understand.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 04, 2013
Abagworo: We can generalize based on majority but some Igbos like myself follow where there are signs of change and truth.
Exactly, we need to stop coming out weak (waiting for people to reciprocate support) , we are one of the largest ethnic groups in Nigeria,

We need to reach out to others from a point of strength and not weakness.

STOP FIGHTING OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS

7 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 12:58pm On Jun 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Exactly, we need to stop coming out weak (waiting for people to reciprocate support) , we are one of the largest ethnic groups in Nigeria,

We need to reach out to others from a point of strength and not weakness.

STOP FIGHTING OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS
We will need a change of leaders to make that possible. The present crop of leaders we have save for a few are political opportunist who are looking for a way to better their pocket than for the welfare of Igbo people.

I'll like to know how we're fighting other ethnic groups.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is when you may get the shocker of your life.... Only time will tell.
Double speak. And why do you think anyone will be shocked?

I'v already taken note of the MISCHIEF playing out on this thread. The APC e-warriors are out to blackmail Igbos for supporting GEJ. Its all about 2015 not out of genuine concern for the Igbo man. Take the roll call of the comments so far- these are IDs notorious for either supporting APC or Buhari. Anyway, whatever their intention maybe, it is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

Besides the issue of ethnic sentiments, I'm fully on ground and I know the govt of GEJ has favoured the southeast more than any previous govt in the history of Nigeria or as long as I know. The Igbo man has NEVER asked to be favoured. Rather we've always demanded for our fair share of govt attention. That is what GEJ has done in the past 2-3yrs in the following areas:

-Federal roads in the southeast are receiving attention like their counterparts in other parts of the country
- New federal secretariats
- New federal university
- New University Teaching hospital
- Fuel is sold the same price in the east as in Lagos and Abuja. This has never happened before
- International Airports and new cargo terminals
- Fair share of federal appointments
- Fast train lines from west to east is being developed
- The process of building the Second Niger Bridge has commenced
- Inland ports are being built
- And so on and so forth

5 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by asha80(m): 12:59pm On Jun 04, 2013
there was no way awo would have won election in the present day south east back then in 1979 elections....
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by coogar: 1:00pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
In Igboland, we don't choose leaders. Our style and definition of leadership is different. That what some of you have failed to understand.

that's exactly the problem!
if you can't choose a leader then how would the others see any leadership quality in any igbo politician? i call you afam because that's the name you call yourself. if the igbos can't see a leader amongst themselves then they are shooting themselves in the foot!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala CV That She Submitted To The WTO. / Economy: New Borrowing Underway As Production, Reserves Dwindle - The Guardian / Anambra Has Never At Any Point Been The Economic Power Of The East-stats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.