Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy (7025 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Teen Pregnancy: Then And Now (photo) / Teen Pregnancy Prevention Ads: Too Harsh?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by dachosen1(f): 8:32pm On May 17, 2006
I'm an 19 year old teenager who gave birth to the most beautiful twins 2 years ago.  I thank God every day for them and everything that has happened to me in my life. But I do have one question why is it that when you have a child with a man or woman in the nigerian community they are considered your husband or wife. As far as I'm concerned I do not see a ring on my finger.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEREMIAH AND MARIAH AKA TAIWO AND KEHINDE.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by hotangel2(f): 8:49pm On May 17, 2006
That's just the nigerian way of thinking. It's not neccessarily with teens. Even if you're an older person, the father of your kids is like "your husband" -- "oko e". U know something like that.

But i must say, from the topic, i tot u were going to ask a different question. As in how nigerians (nigerian parents most especially) react to teenage pregnancy.

It's all good tho.

Say happy bday to ur kids. Im glad u r a proud mother. Aww twins. i want twins. (not now tho).

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by DaHitler(m): 8:53pm On May 17, 2006
Don't sweat it, kids would always love their mom more than their dad.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by hotangel2(f): 8:54pm On May 17, 2006
Afeni:

Don't sweat it, kids would always love their mom more than their dad.

Hello!!! STOP GENERALIZING!!! NOT 'always'.

Yes i know wat im saying.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by sade511(f): 9:00pm On May 17, 2006
I know you workin hard with those twins.
I dont know. . . . .

Happy B Day Taiwo Kehinde!
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by dachosen1(f): 9:05pm On May 17, 2006
As a matter of fact. I'm working very hard but it isnt anything that I can't handle. I got my friends, baby daddy, and family supportin and helping me when I need help so it makes it easier. I couldn't be more happier. THank you so much for wishing the kids a happy birthday. Parenthood isnt an ez task if u rn't going to be committed think twice before sexual intercourse
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by Seun(m): 12:07am On May 18, 2006
Coming from someone who has actually experienced teen pregnancy, that's a warning to be taken seriously.

Send our love to your half-Nigerian twins! wink
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by chinani(f): 12:54am On May 18, 2006
So, I'm guessing you're the non-Nigerian one? Well to answer your question it is b/c people typically do not have babies w/o being married in the Nigerian community. I guess it's becoming more common in America but back home it is not the typical, run of the mill thing that it is in the States.

Also, it they might say it to be respectful or tactful. Imagine them assuming your an unwed teen mother (not a good thing in their eyes) when you were infact somene's bride. shocked That'd be wahala for sure. So it's easy to say "husband" and be corrected.

[size=13pt]Happy Birthday TAIWO! Happy Birthday KEHINDE![/size] Here's a kiss from Auntie!! cheesy kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by mochafella(m): 1:09am On May 18, 2006
chinani:

[size=13pt]Happy Birthday TAIWO! Happy Birthday KEHINDE![/size]

erm, I think you are a day late. tongue yeah, I know better late than never
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by chinani(f): 1:11am On May 18, 2006
mochafella:

erm, I think you are a day late. tongue yeah, I know better late than never
Hmm, how do you know? Since when have you been in Dachosen1's biz like that? Are you baby daddy? smiley cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by mochafella(m): 1:14am On May 18, 2006
chinani:

Hmmm, how do you know? Since when have you been in Dachosen1's biz like that? Are you baby daddy? smiley cheesy

Well her post was yesterday undecided . As for baby daddy, ummm lipsrsealed tongue.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by chinani(f): 1:16am On May 18, 2006
mochafella:

Well her post was yesterday undecided . As for baby daddy, ummm lipsrsealed tongue.
According to my computer, her post was TODAY at approximately 1 pm. Thank you Inspector Gadget! wink
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by mochafella(m): 1:23am On May 18, 2006
dachosen1:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEREMIAH AND MARIAH AKA TAIWO AND KEHINDE.

chinani:

According to my computer, her post was TODAY at approximately 1 pm.

sure about that? tongue. Must be Nwoke's clock playing tricks. grin
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by nemesisrev: 4:00am On May 18, 2006
the usual fraff embarassed
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by markesh(m): 8:12am On May 18, 2006
Americans and teen pregnancy, that is the real question. Why do so many black american women allow themselves to get impregnated by men who do not stay with them? You are creating a society of criminals that way, because say what you want, children raised by a mother alone are always more out of control than those from a full family.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by bolex(m): 8:28am On May 18, 2006
you should hide your head in corner for crying out so proudly

Instead of praising yourself as if you just won a contract

When you get a certificate and a professional job ( not a job in Walmart or Kroger )

I will praise you for your mistake

Not now

For now

SHAME

By the way

Children are commitment

They would not want to grow up not knowing who their dad is

So girl , you gotta stick to what you started

that man aka father is their daddy and therefore aka your husband

girl, you in College or something

What is your progress and what have you got to say to guys et gals out there

about SEX et al

Say it here

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-13000.0.html

Now, I suggest I expect something sensible from someone as experienced as you

cool

that's ma 15th cent

God bless your kids and you

AMEN
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by somebody(f): 10:29am On May 18, 2006
markesh:

You are creating a society of criminals that way, because say what you want, children raised by a mother alone are always more out of control than those from a full family.

Rubbish. I lost my dad when I was quite young and I am not out of control, neither are my siblings. It is very wrong to generalise like that.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by Orikinla(m): 11:23am On May 18, 2006
Bolex says it all.

Black girls in the US are on sex rampage.
Too much psychedelic rap music is to blame for the black babes spreading their legs wide apart for randy men on the prowl to screw them and screw up innocent lives.
The sooner you start loving the legitimate father of your T and K, the better for you and the future of your innocent twins.

God bless you soul sister and kiss my kisses to your lovely T and K.
Twins are double portion of blessings.
So, treasure them.

N.B:
Who will the father of the next children?
50 Cents? grin
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by babwilms(m): 11:29am On May 18, 2006
@markesh. But wouldn't you agree that 80% of kids born without a father figure in Europe and America are always out of control and it creates a society of criminals. You can conduct a survey on this and you would find out that most yobs and criminals on the street here in the western world have no father figures in their lifes, probably daddy or mummy is in jail, drug addict, alcholic, not responsible, divorced, hence the children are always the one to suffer for the consequences unless the mother or the father stands firm to take care of their responsibilities very well and pray that the kids turn out well.

Also the way the laws and society here has been structured does not help matter. Imagine not been able to discipline your child because of the fear you might get jailed for it or the kid might be taken a way from you to foster parents.

Example of this can be seen in the UK where by a 12 year old girl was pregnated by a 15 yeard old boy. The girl is not even a teenager yet. The mother said she was proud of her, she is a heavy smoker with no husband. Same thing is most likely to happen to the unborn child. Who do you blame for this scenerio?

Also here in Europe you see kids calling the cops on their parent? I beg it's messed up in this western world. I can't wait to return to Nigeria, and i pray Nigeria do not follow the western ways in dealing with issues with regards to dicipline.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by babwilms(m): 11:35am On May 18, 2006
@markesh. My post was directed to you not MARKESH
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by babwilms(m): 11:36am On May 18, 2006
Sorry, same mistake again. My post was directed to SOMEBODY not Markesh. Apologies
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by ontop(m): 12:28pm On May 18, 2006
It is unfortunate that most Nigerian men dont like to marry ladies who has kids for other men. They believed that single mothers has already been devalued and there is nothing special about them anymore.

Nigerian and Africans as a whole celebrates virgines. Our cultures so much embresses it to the extend parents disown their daughters who got into such mess.

I must confess that it is lack of exposures. If I love a lady amd wish to spend the rest of my life with her, I will not consider that at all.

I want to ask nairlanders, how many of you guys will not mind marrying a single mother?
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by bolex(m): 12:31pm On May 18, 2006
ontop

definitely not

except if the man was also a single father or something like that

anywayz

if i am a bachelor

i wd go shopping for someone who has never married before or anything like that

single and searching

not some1 who has complicated her life

it is unfortunate

but yer

it is the fact
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by babwilms(m): 12:37pm On May 18, 2006
I would be worried to marry such woman and yes i am exposed. I could only marry her if she is wifey material but if she is not, no way. I mean you see some single mothers in Night clubs every now and then, when they are meant to be at home looking after that child, knowing what that child is up to. Most of them even go to some extent of sleeping around and they demand too much from a thsi new guy. Some still haven't learn from their mistakes.

I will only get married to a single mother if she's a wifey material.
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by bolex(m): 12:41pm On May 18, 2006
I could marry someone like 2can if I was older

She is a responsible single mum

kiss
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by papermoon(f): 12:48pm On May 18, 2006
cry
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by bolex(m): 12:52pm On May 18, 2006
@ papermoon

I feel you

but the truth is bitter

After a mistake

I expect her to belt up and make a better profession

Anywayz

By the way

How simple is life for teen mothers

like duh!!!!!!! It is complicated for them

but why, if God says they will find a husband

Sure they would

You think I am not happy she aint aborted yet ?

Duh !!!! of course I am

but I aint giving her praises yet
?

Until she becomes a professional

Besides, NO 1 IS PERFECT !!!!!!

happy Birthday to Twins cool
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by Skidoc(m): 12:53pm On May 18, 2006
There are many factors I would consider before doing such. I can't jump all out and say "I don't mind" just so that some people somewhere would think I don't lack exposure. As much as I might love such a woman, I don't want complications. So I'd put love aside and think deep - evaluating and weighing all the odds. If the positive outweighs the negative, then her baby can be our little bride or ring bearer at the wedding. wink
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by bolex(m): 12:56pm On May 18, 2006
Exactly skidoc

cool

By the way, not all mothers would say thier son should marry someone who has a son

I know ma mother for 1 would not wanna

But wait

The 1st thing that crosses your mind when you see a single mother is

How responsible is she ?

If am lieing

Quote me wrong

cool

I just gave ma 16th cent

grin
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by 2cantango(f): 1:00pm On May 18, 2006
I wonder how judgemental you blokes would be if you were the ones getting pregnant instead of the females undecided

Some dudes go around acting all holy and virginal, being strict about what they would and would not accept in their future wife, while totally overlooking that their own dxck has dipped into several honey pots along the way to the alter. cool
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by papermoon(f): 1:01pm On May 18, 2006
cry
Re: Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy by papermoon(f): 1:02pm On May 18, 2006
cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage? / Why Men Find It Hard Accepting Children Their Wives Had From Infidelity / Kids Do The Darnest Things

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.