Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (110438 Views)

Nigeria Vs Australia: FIFA U-17 World Cup: (6 - 0) On 29th October 2015 / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup: (1 - 2) On 20th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (80) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by CLT123(m): 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2013
onitshaigbo: I don't understand why people are talking about this match so much. It's Tahiti we're playing against. This is a team that our U20 team can easily crush. Even with 8 players, the Super Eagles can still win against them. We should be worried about Spain and Uruguay.
undecided one game at a time
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Irises(m): 4:37pm On Jun 17, 2013
Tahiti won their nations cup. The are not small boys. All the teams in dis cup must not be underated
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 17, 2013
onitshaigbo: I don't understand why people are talking about this match so much. It's Tahiti we're playing against. This is a team that our U20 team can easily crush. Even with 8 players, the Super Eagles can still win against them. We should be worried about Spain and Uruguay.

i agree but don't get over confident. We all know what happens when we Nigerians get over confident.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by onitshaigbo(m): 4:43pm On Jun 17, 2013
Irises: Tahiti won their nations cup. The are not small boys. All the teams in dis cup must not be underated

Tahiti has a population of 178,000. Source: Wikipedia. Lagos Island (Not Lagos, only Lagos Island) has a population of over 209,000.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by onitshaigbo(m): 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2013
bboiabb:

i agree but don't get over confident. We all know what happens when we Nigerians get over confident.

Overconfident is saying we can beat Spain no problem. If you can't crush Tahiti, you don't deserve to represent Africa.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by artade: 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2013
adaobi123: I'm expecting double figures from this match grin

Before nko? After all, 0 - 0 na double figures na. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Shegetine: 4:48pm On Jun 17, 2013
God revealed it to me last night. Nigeria 1 v Tahiti 0. Beleive me...
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by onitshaigbo(m): 4:51pm On Jun 17, 2013
Shegetine: God revealed it to me last night. Nigeria 1 v Tahiti 0. Beleive me...

That had better be after the first 5 minutes, and not full time.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2013
Afam4eva: Ideye has not one badly as a player as he has always supported the other strikers even though he rarely scores himself.
i lik3 brown ideye,but i dnt always av much faith in left footed strikers,they can miss any chance dat kumz their right foot or wil not even attempt to capitalize on a chance dat kumz to their right foot.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 17, 2013
Shegetine: God revealed it to me last night. Nigeria 1 v Tahiti 0. Beleive me...

why did you wake up from your dream in the 1st 5 mins? Half time no reach talk less of full time. Go and dream the remaining one then come and tell us the score

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by hardcurrency: 4:59pm On Jun 17, 2013
This match is the only clear chance the Super Eagles have if they are to make it to the next round of the competition. I only hope they are able to utilize their chances. Prediction:Nig 2 Tah 0.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by heavygee: 5:01pm On Jun 17, 2013
Pls, is the Nigeria Tahiti match for 7p.m or 8p.m?
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 17, 2013
Emmadani: i lik3 brown ideye,but i dnt always av much faith in left footed strikers,they can miss any chance dat kum their right foot or wil not even attempt to capitalize on a chance dat kumz to their right foot.

what about RVP? if you are a professional footballer, you have trainers who help you to be ambipedic. lefties are actually better because keepers are not used to them..they are the opposite of what keepers are used to.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by isalegan2: 5:09pm On Jun 17, 2013
Tahiti debuts at major soccer tournament
By ROB HARRIS (AP Sports Writer) | The Associated Press – 8 hours ago

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil (AP) -- Coming from a tiny island in the South Pacific to the huge country of Brazil, a group of men from Tahiti is preparing to play some of the best soccer teams in the world.

Tahiti's national team will make its debut at a major FIFA tournament on Monday when it plays African champion Nigeria at the Confederations Cup.

Tahiti, one of the world's most remote islands with a population of only 178,000, will be playing against a nation of 170 million in front of a global television audience of millions.

''We will write a page of international history,'' Tahiti coach Eddie Etaeta said through a translator. ''This will be our first very high level match.''

Ranked 138th by FIFA, sandwiched between Syria and Afghanistan, Tahiti qualified for the World Cup warm-up tournament ahead of 2010 World Cup qualifier New Zealand by winning the Oceania Nations Cup.

There is only one professional player on the team - Marama Vahirua. The striker, who plays for Greek club Panthrakikos, is the only Tahitian to play professionally outside the island.

But even for Vahirua, the trip to Brazil is a new experience as the team gets surrounded by security, quizzed by the world media, and prepares to play in some of the most famous venues in the sport.

''Everything is rather new, I have never lived this before,'' Vahirua said through a translator at a news conference attended by only two reporters from Tahiti.

''I have never been at such a tournament. It will be a very first time for me as well. I will try not to be shy.''
Of the 23 players, Tahiti coach Eddie Etaeta said nine are unemployed, while others have day jobs as delivery boys, truck drivers, physical education teachers and accountants.

''They don't want to be ridiculed, they want to show ... we are up to the task,'' Vahirua said.
Tahiti will be playing teams in Brazil not only full of professional players, but also earning big money.

Facing Nigeria first seems like good fortune from the draw, given that world and European champion Spain is next in Group B, followed by South American champion Uruguay.

''The players are all aware there is a chasm between the professional and amateur world,'' Vahirua said. ''I think tomorrow we will not be on a par with Nigeria ... they have been professional for years.

''But mentally we are ready. We will fight like lions and we will do anything to represent our country.''
The Nigeria match will be played at the Mineirao, a renovated stadium that is one of Brazil's most revered soccer venues with a capacity exceeding 62,000.

The biggest stadium in Tahiti can only seat 10,000, and the players have heard tapes of crowd noises to prepare them for the atmosphere expected in Brazil.

''I don't feel at ease because it's not what we are used to at home,'' Etaeta said. ''When I got here and saw this huge stadium I felt a bit cold. It's a stadium loaded with history ... In the dressing room I was really astonished to see these huge lockers.''

The trip for Tahiti is about putting in credible performances - and avoiding embarrassments such as their record 10-0 loss to New Zealand in 2004 - rather than being star-struck by opponents.

With the experience gained in Brazil, Etaeta hopes the team's chances of becoming more competitive on the field will be enhanced. Because after leaving Brazil, it will be back to playing in front of tiny crowds with little interest from the rest of the world.

''Today the star is Tahiti,'' Etaeta said. ''I'm proud the whole of media looks to Tahiti ... and we will try to draw lessons so we can improve our football.''

---
Rob Harris can be reached at http://twitter.com/RobHarris

Comments

Atlasman • 5 hours ago Report Abuse
Man, talk about David vs Goliath - 3 times to boot (Nigeria, Spain, Uruguay). Tahiti is the ultimate "David" I've ever seen in a FIFA competition. It would be fantastic if they scored one goal in the tournament. Especially if it happens against Spain!

GaryG • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
This is the downslide of letting Australia join the Asian confederation, Oceania is left with New Zealand or a minnow. Enter minnow. We'll be seeing more of this.

A Yahoo! User • 4 hours ago Report Abuse
thanks for your courage Tahiti, welcome to the beautiful game

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tahiti-debuts-major-soccer-tournament-071923249--sow.html

More about Tahiti:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-tahiti-defender-climbs-down-coconut-trees-play-213959390.html

colonised
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Eifeh(m): 5:10pm On Jun 17, 2013
NIGERIA VS TAHITI
FACTS:
DID YOU KNOW: Tahiti has about
population.
DID YOU KNOW: Having gone 17
games
unbeaten and nine since they last
failed to
score, Nigeria are yet to win any
Ocenia
national side in senior category
competition.
DID YOU KNOW: TAHITI recorded
their best-
ever win in the 1971 edition of
Ocenia Island
Cup: a 30-0 annihilation of the
Cook Islands.
*hmmm! Nigeria una dey hear*
DID YOU KNOW: Out of the 22
named Tahitian
squad, only a player (striker,
playing in
Greece) plays a professional
football, other 21
are armature.
DID YOU KNOW: Tahiti does not
have a football
Professional League.
DID YOU KNOW: Tahiti is the
Ocenic
Champions.
Tonight is the Night
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 17, 2013
bboiabb:

nigeria is playing a 4-3-3 versus tahiti's 5-4-1? seems alright as long as we don't let them counter attack cos that will be a big weakness if we let it happen

i don't see why we wouldn't use a 4-2-3-1? it's the most balanced formation so that mikel and maybe ogude can sit in front of the defence and intercept passes/distribute the ball. then we need a pacy/skillful Central Attacking Midfielder (maybe mba can fill that void?) if onazi wasnt injured he would be our CAM.

this is the starting 11 i would like to see with 4-2-3-1
..............Enyeama...............
Ambrose, Omeruo, Oboabona, Echiejile
.........Mikel.....Ogude(/Mba)......
Musa.......Onazi(/Mba)......Oduamadi
...............Ideye................

Its actually easy to transit from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 depending on the situation of opposition at the moment.
If the team is technical enough. . .sometimes the players know exactly when to make the switch without the coach telling them.

We would play Tahiti with a 4-3-3 and better reserve the 4-2-3-1 against Uruguay and Spain.

And 4-3-3 doesn't always get the best out of Ahmed musa when he's playing from the flanks. He can only be a beast when he operates from the midfield wings on a 4-2-3-1. . .but this should not be a worry against Tahiti.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by sweetcheecks(f): 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2013
You go Super Eagles!!!! Africa's only hope in the Confederations Cup. We are all behind you. Vitttttyyyoooooooo, Vityoooooooo! Let the games begin! wink kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 17, 2013
My prediction:

Nig 5 vs Tah 0
cheesy
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2013
breezy047:

Its actually easy to transit from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 depending on the situation of opposition at the moment.
If the team is technical enough. . .sometimes the players know exactly when to make the switch without the coach telling them.

We would play Tahiti with a 4-3-3 and better reserve the 4-2-3-1 against Uruguay and Spain.

And 4-3-3 doesn't always get the best out of Ahmed musa when he's playing from the flanks. He can only be a beast when he operates from the midfield wings on a 4-2-3-1. . .but this should not be a worry against Tahiti.

yeah you're right.. hopefully they constantly switch between formations to cunfuse the opponent. I haven't even been able to sleep cos i cant wait to see us play..hopefully the era of heart attack football has finally passed
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by CLT123(m): 5:35pm On Jun 17, 2013
Nigeria 3 Tahiti 0
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2013
my prediction: Nigeria wins 7-1..the goal they score will be from a set piece
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Adrenaline123(m): 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2013
some people think it is basket ball
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by MrMi6(m): 5:56pm On Jun 17, 2013
We Are Nigerians We Don't Only Win And Fly, We Also Rock And Roll....
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by codeine123: 5:58pm On Jun 17, 2013
Nigeria will win Thaiti, but the goal margin wouldn't be much, something like a 2 1,1 0 or 3 2 margin. Our main concern should be Uruagy and spain, a draw against both countries will put Nigeria in a good position to move through to the quater final stage. My 2 cent piece of advice.
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by joseph1013: 6:05pm On Jun 17, 2013
BluIvy:

Where is Emineke? Please they must put Emineke in, Super Eagles are the only hope for Africa in the Fed Cup. sad

I fvcking hate the kind of questions I see in this forum. How can a true fan of the Super Eagles ask where Emenike is?

Damn...some people can make you go crazy. Jeez!!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by Irises(m): 6:07pm On Jun 17, 2013
Why do u guys use population to predict scores, wins and losses
Re: Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 by onitshaigbo(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2013
codeine123: Nigeria will win Thaiti, but the goal margin wouldn't be much, something like a 2 1,1 0 or 3 2 margin. Our main concern should be Uruagy and spain, a draw against both countries will put Nigeria in a good position to move through to the quater final stage. My 2 cent piece of advice.

Draw against both Spain and Uruguay no be easy o. Most likely we will lose to Spain. If we only draw against Uruguay then it comes down goal differences so that's why we need to really crush Tahiti.

It's their first match so we need to take advantage of their nervousness playing against the big boys. If we can't beat Uruguay outright, then we must beat Tahiti by more than Uruguay does.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (80) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Brazil 1 - 1: International Friendly On 13th October 2019 / Benin Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifier - 0 - 1 (Full Time) / France Vs Croatia: Russia 2018 Final (4 - 2) On 15th July 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.