Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? (8433 Views)

Poll: what spa services would you most like to receive

Massage therapy: 26% (5 votes)
Manicure & Pedicure: 26% (5 votes)
Hair treatment: 15% (3 votes)
Facial /skin treatments: 26% (5 votes)
Hair removal: 5% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Starting A Spa Business Little Start-up Capital / Opening A Pharmacy / Opening A Boutique In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 5:26pm On May 02, 2008
Dear Nairalanders

Would you or do you already visit day spa's in Nigeria. if you would or do what services would you require most or like to receive? Do you think this would be viable business in Lagos or Abuja? Thanks for your response! kiss
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by iice(f): 5:33pm On May 02, 2008
Yes i would go. Though i usually don't have time or energy. If there was one close by with good services i'd go.
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 6:31pm On May 02, 2008
@ iice would you appreciate the decor and customer service you will receive if it were a world class spa or do you just want to get the service at the cheapest possible price a la 'beauty salon'?
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by iice(f): 6:40pm On May 02, 2008
I admit that i love cheap stuffs tongue
But i also love good decor and customer services (am spoilt grin)
So it has to be affordable yet of good quality.

1 Like

Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by colors(f): 6:54pm On May 02, 2008
i think the main attraction would be great service, classy environment and affordability but dont make it too cheap though, or else you may loose your high end customers. was thinking along those lines a while back but put it on hold due to finance.
an idea is to make it quite professional as well, what i mean by this is there will be membership registration fees and booking services so a member can call and book for like a pedicure/ massage at a particular time etc etc, you get the main gist i hope
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by X2X(m): 7:39pm On May 02, 2008
Wetin be Spa?
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 9:08pm On May 02, 2008
@ colors. thnx for your candid response. Yeah if I am to go into the spa thing, the environment would have to be top notch and the customer service on point. Sometimes I worry that the number of high end clients would not be enough to sustain the business with generator n diesel costs eating into profits. Might be wrong tho,

I too have no idea how to finance the idea yet. The plans are for the future though, best of luck with yours!

X-2-X:

Wetin be Spa?

A day spa is a business establishment which people visit for professionally administered personal care treatments such as massages and facials. It is similar to a beauty salon in that it is only visited for the duration of the treatment. In contrast, a destination spa offers the same services in a hotel setting where people reside for one or more days.

1 Like

Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 9:09pm On May 02, 2008
@ iice

thnx, what would you be happy to pay for a 1 hr massage or facial in a top class spa in Lagos?
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by iice(f): 9:12am On May 03, 2008
@Ajebota
Yes i would be happy to pay for it, if it's worth it.
My facials usually last 1 and a half hours to 2. And that is one of the simple facials.
Ditto for the massages.

all this talk of facials has reminded me that am overdue for one grin grin
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Gamine(f): 2:57am On May 04, 2008
Spas are very wlcome, pls ooo!

We need them.

I have a friend who pays 8,000 for a 1 n half hr facial.

The place has to be really classy and efficient.

i live close to a spa on the island, it even won best spa last year

im saving to go there, lol, for a whole day treatment after schoolcheesy
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 6:13pm On May 04, 2008
@gamine really? What spa was that? Do you think other students and younger ladies would be as interested as you are in spa going? I feeling more encouraged to pursue my spa plans, smiley Am getting excited grin
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Gamine(f): 12:08am On May 05, 2008
There are two im close to, Montaigne and Veni vicci

I assure you that girls are very interested in it

But

one, the awareness has to be solid

two, the prices have to be moderate and like i said before the place

must be classy and reachable

1 Like

Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 3:31pm On May 05, 2008
@ Gamine yeah have heard of both spas, not been to either yet tho I will very soon. Would you say their prices were reasonable? What would you say they are lacking treatment wise or decor wise?

Are you a covenant student if you don't mind my asking?

1 Like

Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by angeleses: 4:31pm On May 05, 2008
there are plenty already - dont you know?
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 5:06pm On May 05, 2008
@ angelese: didnt you just write something nasty on the other thread I started and you are now pretending to be normal?
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 5:13pm On May 05, 2008
angeleses:

there are plenty already - don't you know?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=131978.msg2225958#msg2225958
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by X2X(m): 6:15pm On May 05, 2008
Ajebota:

A day spa is a business establishment which people visit for professionally administered personal care treatments such as massages and facials. It is similar to a beauty salon in that it is only visited for the duration of the treatment. In contrast, a destination spa offers the same services in a hotel setting where people reside for one or more days.

Aha. Ajebota, many thanks for the explanation. Cheers.
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Gamine(f): 8:56pm On May 05, 2008
Yeah im a CU student smiley

i really havent been to either, but they are both really classy

but a bit expensive, u know for the big girls and boys of lagos.lol
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by darkroll(m): 8:47am On May 14, 2008
I think it would be a good idea to open a world class spa in Nigeria , but will nigerians be willing to pay the price for it ? One of the best spas operator in the world is Aquum spa www.aquumspas.com . I was talking to one of the directors some weeks ago and the question he asked me was " Will nigerians appreciate and be willing to pay 200euros for a 1hr facial massage ?" I really dont know the answer to this but i will like u guys to tell me how much you will be willing to pay for an hour service at a world class spa .
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by abujabooks(f): 10:41am On May 14, 2008
I will go to a spa in Nigeria. Excellent customer service, clean and trendy. Probably a weekend retreat with some of my girlfriends or 1 hour treat on my own.

I will get a massage, facial, pedicure and manicure.

I believe in spending money to pamper myself. If my soul and body are replenished, I will be more focused, relaxed and make more money.

Open a spa and Advertise to the upper class and it will work. But, maintenance is key in that business. You have to maintain the high standard continuously.

Ajebota, cheers to your success.
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by Ajebota(f): 1:28am On May 15, 2008
@ abujabooks cheers smiley

@ darkroll

You dont need to charge 200 euros for an hour's facial massage surely? The highest price I have heard for that is 80 pounds and the price should not be as expensive in Nigeria cheaper rent, labour etc.) Thnx for the aquumspas info tho.
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by DisGuy: 4:00am On May 15, 2008
im still trying to work out how one can provide top notch customer service, really classy environment that is affordable

i know this is possible but it is difficult
there must be a reason why those existing already
charge exorbitant price, trust me if you want to make profit
and maintain your high end clientèle you will have to go that way too!
the best option will be to compromise, stick with high end clients
who will pay more and probably fizzle out later or compromise
for more customers-target those that can wont mind saving for a week or two
for a treat, senior staffs, students, and so on and offer moderate services(tehre are some services
that will be used once in a year-get rid of it!)

rent and labour might be cheap but in nigeria there are so many unforeseen expenses
popping up here and there
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by darkroll(m): 4:09am On May 21, 2008
When u guys says cost of labour and rentage is cheap in Nigeria , is this true ? I had always though cost of rentage and labour is high
What is the minumum wage of an average nigerian ? Unit cost of water and electricy ?
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by DisGuy: 4:38am On May 21, 2008
darkroll:

When u guys says cost of labour and rentage is cheap in Nigeria , is this true ? I had always though cost of rentage and labour is high
What is the minumum wage of an average nigerian ? Unit cost of water and electricy ?

i think the minimum wage is officially like N8,000 or thereabout
paying someone like N30,000-50,000 is good for a salon, spa etc

I'm not too sure though
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by darkroll(m): 2:48pm On May 21, 2008
Dis Guy:

i think the minimum wage is officially like N8,000 or thereabout
paying someone like N30,000-50,000 is good for a salon, spa etc

N50,000 is about 385USD , i can see there is cheap labour then .
I'm not too sure though
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by steaming(f): 3:02pm On May 21, 2008
@ ajebota, i have been thinking of this for a long time, unfortunately, i dont have a basic training and though the money is not there yet, though that is not really my major problem.

I need a little training or at least infor on the basic things involved. Just incase you are interested in us talking, i live in Abuja. My mail add. is forneze@yahoo.com
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by mojiisola: 10:51pm On Apr 27, 2012
we can train u, we have trained beauty and massage therapist
Re: Opening A Spa In Lagos Or Abuja Will It Work? by caringchi(f): 3:58am On Jan 18, 2021
Ajebota:
Dear Nairalanders

Would you or do you already visit day spa's in Nigeria. if you would or do what services would you require most or like to receive? Do you think this would be viable business in Lagos or Abuja? Thanks for your response! kiss

Hi, did you later start the spa and how is it going?

(1) (Reply)

IMPORTANT! 13 Things Bank Customers Must Know About Bank Verification Number / Starting A Candle Business With Little Start-up Cost / How I&E Forex Window Buoyed Naira Stability With $50bn Inflows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.