Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,119 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers (17659 Views)

21 Aspirants Jostle For Kogi Governorship APC Ticket [see Full List Inside] / Retired Generals Jostle For Civil Defence Top Job — Leadership Newspaper / Dangote, Elumelu Jostle For 10 NIPP Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2013
PhD, MSc holders jostle for Lagos’ N25,000 jobs

General Manager of the Lagos Resident Registration Agency (LASRRA), Mrs Yinka Fashola, has decried the growing rate of unemployment across the country, saying 85 per cent of applicants for the resident registration exercise are PhD and MSc holders.

She said the PhD and MSc holders applied for jobs which were meant for secondary school leavers and a few National Diploma (ND) holders because of unemployment in the country.

Fashola, who until her appointment as the LASRRA boss served in the Office for National Statistics in United Kingdom, said the agency would have loved to increase the salaries of the applicants who obviously should have earned more because of their qualifications, but the agency was hampered by inadequate fund.

Speaking on the preparation to register Lagos residents, she said: “Yes, some of the applicants are holders of PhD and Msc as well as other qualifications. Where am I going to put them? But we have taken some of them as station manager; I can only choose 57 of them to work in the 57 Local Government and Local Council Development Area (LCDA). So, what would I do with the rest of them?

“Most of them are on contract for one year. I wish I could keep them, but we can’t. We are paying them N25, 000 per month. I wish it is more, but we did not expect that graduates and post graduates would be applying for the jobs.”

She, however, encouraged residents to avail themselves of the online registration in order to make the exercise easier.

According to her, the rationale behind the exercise is to enable the government allocate resources efficiently.

Fashola said: “The exercise will enable the government know what are the electricity needs, what are the water needs, which area need more schools and which environment requires more hospitals and other basic amenities. The only way the government can know this is through registration of residents.”

Asked if the 1,500 registration agents would be enough to register estimated 21.5 million residents, the LASRRA boss said the exercise was continuous exercise, saying all measures to ensure successful had been put in place.

Source
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Garrithe1st: 8:42am On Jun 06, 2013
What did GEJ and his Clowns say on "Democracy Day"??

Mid-Term report my azz...

8 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 06, 2013
Self employment! Self employment!! Self employment!!! Plus skill acquisition na em be the koko now ooo...

Do not wait on the government to provide you with jobs ooo...

Almost all the of our politicians don't care about us ooo...

All their energies are channelled towards the jaga jaga of 2015 ooo...

Dem dey look for money to steal and stock pile in readiness for 2015 ooo...

They are all thieves and rogues ooo...

Start today, input innovative ideas, refuse to give up even if that your babe wey love run go, when you hammer, dem go dey worship you.

Once again self employment ooo...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to all the Batch B corp members on their POP today.

27 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Gbawe: 8:55am On Jun 06, 2013
I think we read similar to this not too long ago when PHD holders were amongst those applying for driving vacancies in one of Aliko Dangote's companies.

Employment cannot be boosted appreciable if the centre remains unwilling to make efforts against current practices sabotaging the growth of the SME sector (the main employer of labour worldwide) and stifling economic prosperity of the nation.

How, as one example, can the SME sector grow when 70% of annual budgeted spending is used to recurrently fund governance and politics? Generally, far more help, as a matter of utmost urgency, should be available for the SME sector for a nation like Nigeria with a chronic and serious unemployment problem. This is not the case because spending the wealth of Nigeria profligately on politics, politicians and patronising offices/activities affiliated with governance is the self-destructive obsession of a myopic class of leaders Nigeria has had at the centre since 1999.

3 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 06, 2013
Yet they say the economy is growing, let them provide the unemployment rate as a pointer to that growth not some phantom investment hub.

3 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by cheezeman: 9:22am On Jun 06, 2013
can this be for real? PhD n MSc holders goin 4 25k jobs meant 4 sec sch leavers n ND hplders? My God! I feel like taking an AK 47 to aso rock n finish all da politicians i c there. Its not fair nah!

2 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 06, 2013
Gbawe: How, as one example, can the SME sector grow when 70% of annual budgeted spending is used to recurrently fund governance and politics? Generally, far more help, as a matter of utmost urgency, should be available for the SME sector for a nation like Nigeria with a chronic and serious unemployment problem. This is not the case because spending the wealth of Nigeria profligately on politics, politicians and patronising offices/activities affiliated with governance is the self-destructive obsession of a myopic class of leaders Nigeria has had at the centre since 1999.

In a nation of 56 million illiterates and, probably, just as many innumerates, is it any wonder that we maintain a laissez faire attitude towards recurrent expenditure?
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by venorite(m): 9:29am On Jun 06, 2013
Come this Lagos wan better pass the whole Nigeria ni,looks like the only thing moving forward in nigeria

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Pedagogue: 9:33am On Jun 06, 2013
Believe me, unemployment is bigger than d boko haram menace!

Whereas the latter has been making the loudest noise, when d former starts speaking. Nigeria will be gone!!!

But rather than reduce unemployment, GEJ and co are busy relying on phantom figures to delude themselves!
And the governors? It's either you hear 'Governor's forum' palaver or 'Governor donates 5,000 Okada to unemployed youths..."

Who will tell these buffoons that the clock is ticking?

2 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by ndudichukwumah(m): 9:35am On Jun 06, 2013
Dis is a disgrace to a country where phd and msc haunting for a job of 25k.if dis msc and phd holders can take dis offer then thier result should be question because no matter d rate of unemployment dey can do something better to earn more than dat amount dat will be paid by govt.

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Sijo01(f): 9:35am On Jun 06, 2013
cry cry cry O` ma se' o cry cry cry
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 06, 2013
Chei, see wetin dey hapen 4 my fatherland undecided
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by miqos02(m): 9:36am On Jun 06, 2013
the so called applicants should be ashamed of themselves, how did they get the phd's in the first place?

3 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Abujafood: 9:36am On Jun 06, 2013
The Phd holders are obviously saying half a loaf is better than none! No time to be selective with jobs just apply for the ones available!
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by pendusky(m): 9:36am On Jun 06, 2013
Space Reserved for comments till 2015.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 06, 2013
MSc I may believe. But PhD, I don't. Maybe these Ph.D holders are not intellectuals. That is just the way I see it. PhD holders are Hot cakes all over the world. Except maybe they have Ph.D in kitchen accessories. Media will always over hype things nonsense.

16 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by buoye1(m): 9:37am On Jun 06, 2013
-'
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by rodeo0070(m): 9:38am On Jun 06, 2013
So much for the growth in the Economy. Motion without positive movement.God save us in Niger-Area...
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by slap1(m): 9:38am On Jun 06, 2013
All these people screaming self-employment seem to forget that you have to start with something. Everyone is not equally blessed. You need money to start anything, no matter how little. Our youths are hardworking, but the government is not supportive.

7 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 06, 2013
Some people lie in their CV too.

Some claim to have so so so and so degree yet have never seen the four walls of the university or even removed from school before their final yrs.
Go figure!

1 Like

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by PEREP: 9:39am On Jun 06, 2013
Gbawe: I think we read similar to this not too long ago when PHD holders were amongst those applying for driving vacancies in one of Aliko Dangote's companies.

Employment cannot be boosted appreciable if the centre remains unwilling to make efforts against current practices sabotaging the growth of the SME sector (the main employer of labour worldwide) and stifling economic prosperity of the nation.

How, as one example, can the SME sector grow when 70% of annual budgeted spending is used to recurrently fund governance and politics? Generally, far more help, as a matter of utmost urgency, should be available for the SME sector for a nation like Nigeria with a chronic and serious unemployment problem. This is not the case because spending the wealth of Nigeria profligately on politics, politicians and patronising offices/activities affiliated with governance is the self-destructive obsession of a myopic class of leaders Nigeria has had at the centre since 1999.

Who are these PHD holders How many people applied that 85% are PHD and MSc holders? This sounds untrue I beg.

7 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Lilimax(f): 9:40am On Jun 06, 2013
Don't wait for the government to provide an employment for you cos you may wait for eternity.
Go learn a trade and be self employed wink
It pays better than the white collar job which may be far fetched!
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 06, 2013
Once again BLAMES Blames blames, all to Federal Government.WTF. it's time PEOPLE take responsibilities for their situation and stop playing the blame game. government have been PREACHING that we embrace SME's and self-employment. What else should govt do? ALL over the world, notably in America, young people and old people alike are creating Jobs for themselves and by extension becomin employer of labour. Govt can't employ EVERYBODY. Today in Nigeria, people create Jobs, starts from humble begining with faith in God for sustainance. Shame to the PHDs and MSCs that got degrees for the sake of it without having defined career objectives. Everybody want WHITE COLLAR job, nobody want self-employ himself because of GET RICH QUICK SYNDROME. Finally,while i condemn some corrupt officials for not doing their jobs right, i sympathise wit Job seekers but i implore them to seek alternatives, NO MATTER how meagre or 'dirty' it may seem(not fraud or crime o).

2 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 06, 2013
solidbroda: MSc I may believe. But PhD, I don't. Maybe these Ph.D holders are not intellectuals. That is just the way I see it. PhD holders are Hot cakes all over the world. Except maybe they have Ph.D in kitchen accessories. Media will always over hype things nonsense.
Not in Nigeria.You think she is lying by saying they applied for Job abi? Mehnn you need to wake up.Paper qualification does not equal to you putting food on the table.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by superior1: 9:43am On Jun 06, 2013
I dont know where those PhD holders came from, but is it possible to have PhD UI, OAU, ABU, UNILAG, UNIORIN, UNN etc and be looking for 25k job, are they sure those certificates are genuine, something is seriously wrong somewhere cry cry

4 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Pedagogue: 9:43am On Jun 06, 2013
But just like it was reported in the case of 'Dangote drivers and PhD applicants' , I sincerely believe that PhD holders applied because they hope they can be given a bigger role, in view of their qualification and the humility behind their interest!!!

I insist that it is not POSSIBLE in present day Nigeria for a PhD holder to accept #25k remuneration!!! 1 major problem that d Nigerian Press has is undue exaggeration!!! They have wrongly equated Any job application to mean 'applying for the job ' whereas many apply for jobs they think is below their level with the hope that the recruiters can put them in a role that fits their status - that is Naija tactics!!! And it has worked for many!!!

Nevertheless, many MSC holders In modern day Naija will grab a 25k job (that is meant for secondary school leavers) with both hands!!! That,most often than not, depends on where the certificate was obtained ...No USA,UK or Canadian University masters' holder can take up such a ridiculous offer!

My point is, many naija university graduates do not have self worth!!! If d last option is to take up a 25k job that is not even meant for univ graduates,is it not better to be the CEO of a 'chin chin' manufacturing company instead?

6 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by PEREP: 9:45am On Jun 06, 2013
slap1: All these people screaming self-employment seem to forget that you have to start with something. Everyone is not equally blessed. You need money to start anything, no matter how little. Our youths are hardworking, but the government is not supportive.

Not in all cases. There are people who simply advertise shoes on BB only to go pick it from an aunt or a shop owner when a friend is interested. I also know of people who simply wake up, look around for addresses of houses that are vacant around lagos and propagate it via the social media and get percentage accordingly. This is not to talk of people who copy phone numbers on cars parked for sale and get a buyer while the seller simply pay a percentage. Some pple even start with counseling school pupils after a detailed research on choosing a career via the Internet and get the parents of those kids to pay as low as N500 to attend.

So many things around to do but most pple are waiting for one capital which is no where. Add value to existing structures and see if you will not make it VERY big.

All the best.

16 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by rozayx5(m): 9:45am On Jun 06, 2013
I just pity people who see a degree as the answer to poverty, headlines like this shud give them a second thought cry cry

without a skill or talent, you might end up worse than a Secondary school leaver undecided

2 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by StOla: 9:46am On Jun 06, 2013
The revelation with news of Phd graduates looking for truck driver's or secondary school certificate jobs is that a lot of people wrongfully think a Master's degree or Phd would help resolve their unemployed status. Really, who goes ahead to enroll for a Phd program, knowing you've been jobless for the past 8yrs since finishing undergrad?

Money spent chasing bogus academic dreams would be better spent if invested in a small scale business.

A Phd is no substitute to years of hands-on work experience!

3 Likes

Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 06, 2013
very funny, unemployment rate Is really high now,imagine a PhD holder jostling for space, when multinational company ought to be begging him to work for them.

formal education has outlived it's usefulness, I always love the igbo, the have since discover the secret of make money now,get education later.

skills talent or training would go a long way to make a man.
Re: PhD, Msc Holders Jostle For Lagos’ N25,000 Jobs Meant For School Leavers by Rhino5dm: 9:52am On Jun 06, 2013
PEREP:

Not in all cases. There are people who simply advertise shoes on BB only to go pick it from an aunt or a shop owner when a friend is interested. I also know of people who simply wake up, look around for addresses of houses that are vacant around lagos and propagate it via the social media and get percentage accordingly. This is not to talk of people who copy phone numbers on cars parked for sale and get a buyer while the seller simply pay a percentage. Some pple even start with counseling school pupils after a detailed research on choosing a career via the Internet and get the parents of those kids to pay as low as N500 to attend.

So many things around to do but most pple are waiting for one capital which is no where. Add value to existing structures and see if you will not make it VERY big.

All the best.

+100

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soyinka - APC’s Visit To Obasanjo: Nigeria Heading For Shipwreck / Okorocha Holds Thanksgiving To Mark His Return From Abroad - Photos / Ranches: FG To Use Own Land As States Resist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.