Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,771 members, 7,798,576 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

New Wifi Hotspot Startup. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / New Wifi Hotspot Startup. (1813 Views)

Wifi Hotspot Training (mikrotik Router) - Lagos / How To Share Any Internet Connection (become A Wifi Hotspot) / Hacking Software For Wireless Noetwork Or Wifi Hotspot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by aslan(m): 4:34pm On Jun 06, 2013
Does anyone have any idea how much it costs to start up a wifi hotspot service. Pls kindly include equipment costs. All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks, folks.
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by oddy1113: 5:40am On Jun 07, 2013
A startup that has been developing a way to use WiFi hotspots to help smartphones navigate large .A Techstars company that launched its Wifi hotspot product today .

robotstøvsuger
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by aslan(m): 7:40am On Jun 07, 2013
I'm asking for costs here.
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by tunde300us(m): 8:49pm On Jun 07, 2013
Whats the range of your wifi you want to setup
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by aslan(m): 8:32am On Jun 08, 2013
about 500 meters
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by pmictltd(m): 5:08pm On Jun 08, 2013
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by JUO(m): 9:31am On Jun 09, 2013
you no dey serious. after quote you go carry the work give another person. if you wan go me work give me work. na free work i come do for life? men don wise

1 Like

Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by aslan(m): 11:22pm On Jun 09, 2013
thanks for the link, pmictltd.

1 Like

Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by kallysky7: 12:00am On Jun 10, 2013
Depending on your budget, you can get the one of less than 20k. ensure you have a target market cos many people now are concern about their privacy on shared connection. DO U KNOW U CAN BROWSE 24/7 WITHOUT ANY MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION ON LAPTOP, IPAD, TABLETS? SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS.

Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by samfibby(m): 10:02pm On Jun 12, 2013
for a distance of about 1km,150k will do the job wella, call 08166894416 if u are really interested
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by pmictltd(m): 8:53pm On Jun 13, 2013
You are welcome.
You may visit this thread and see information about THIN CLIENT TECHNOLOGY

https://www.nairaland.com/873233/cyber-cafes-thin-client-technology

aslan: thanks for the link, pmictltd.
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by moscovite: 11:57pm On Jun 13, 2013
aslan: about 500 meters

Aslan. 500 meters is not a joke for an hotspot. Are you sure you wouldnt need a permit for beaming 500 meters long. Anyway, you should find that out. Hotspots are usually within the immediate environment. In a regular city 500 meters is several blocks away. This means several houses away. so If its a neighbourhood with houses everywhere then you need a really powerful transmitter to go through them and maybe a mast to tower above some houses. Of course if the distance is within the immediate environment then you can use APs to work around it.
So, this scenarios will determine the eventual cost of your hotspot project. Lets look at both.
The basic things you need are:
1.Antennas covering 360 degrees: It could be an omni or three 120 degrees sectoral. If its a shorter distance and you dont need to penetrate buildings, you probably might settle for simple outdoor APs instead.
2.The antenna must report to a switch or router or even directly to a modem. Most likely to a router.
3. The router must take it through a captive portal/Radius Server for authentication and authorisation. This is the system that allows you bill them as it checks to see if they are authorised to browse.
4. Then, of course you must have the gateway ready to allow them through after due authentication and authorisation.

So your cost will include

-Antennas(omni or 3 sectoral) or Simple APs(4-6 pcs @15k per piece) to capture 360 degrees (That can be between 60k-150k)
-Gigabit Router for about 35k
-Captive Portal and Radius Server Implementation for authentication and authorisation:If you want to have the hardware, software and hosting you could spend between 100k to 500k. If it is outsourced and pay-as-you-go then you might start with 25k.
-Of course you have an idea of what internet will cost.
Conservatively you must be ready to spend between 150k-1Million depending on the terrain. Dont forget permission too.

You should understand that this cost is completely different if you just want a hotspot in your cafe or your immediate environment and not at a considerable distance. All you need is a wireless router that can act as a captive portal with a radius server for as low as 25k. If you want to extend to other parts of the area your wireless router does not reach in your compound, then, maybe one or two more APs @ 15k each will be added. This effectively means you will spend less than 50k to cover most part of your place.

so, as you can see its a totally different ball game i you want to extend outside and sell on a regular basis.
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by aslan(m): 5:36pm On Jun 14, 2013
@moscovite: thanks for the info. I think I'll consider the second option. that will be easier to set up as I've already acquired my router/AP. all I need now is a range extender to cover more grounds.
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by omoifa(m): 11:28am On Jun 15, 2013
aslan: @moscovite: thanks for the info. I think I'll consider the second option. that will be easier to set up as I've already acquired my router/AP. all I need now is a range extender to cover more grounds.
What about your hotspot billing system/timer. If you are going to use the regular password protection built into the router then you are probably not doing it for commercial purpose. Not to sell to people. If you need it for commercial purpose then you must have the hotspot timer. What type of router do you have. Is it installed with such capability?. I can help you with that. We can talk on 08052633663.
Re: New Wifi Hotspot Startup. by aslan(m): 1:35pm On Jun 15, 2013
@omoifa, the router I bought already has a built-in hotspot timer and billing system. its a special software that came with it. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

How To Root Infinix Hot 2 (android One) Without PC / I Want To Buy A Laptop Or Swap My Laptop For Another With Higher Specs (Lagos) / Usa-used Gaming Hp Elitebook 8460p Intel Core-i5 + 1gb Dedicated Graphx -SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.