Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! (12255 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / Pregrant After Two Years Of Marriage But Scared Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 11:32pm On Jun 06, 2013
[b]My little boy of yester years turned 17 two months ago.
A good kid, tall, slender, good looking like me, not so athletic, averagely brilliant and very responsible and a role model for his younger ones.
I have just passed through his window this evening while trying to fix a burnt out security bulb when I heared him making a call to one "Fola mi".
I took time to listen to his conversation and I believe "Fola mi" just accepted to be his girlfriend tonight.
My worries started when my boy told "fola mi" that he promises to be a good man....imagine calling himself man....and that ANYTHING she needs, he will provide. He went ahead to say that from today henceforth, he will be responsible for "recharge cards" and that he hopes they get married immediately they finish University.
My boy just got into a pre-degree and he is talking marriage.
Am proud of his new "achievement" and really happy he has started his journey into manhood......BUT.....what happens when he gets heart broken? What happens when he can't make up with all the "amala & gbegiri" promises he has made tonight?
I got into the house, called him from his room, just to see his face.....lollllllzzz....my son was wearing a brand new shirt, with a nice shoe at 10pm.....he said he was only trying out the outfit he wants to wear tomorrow. Now he is asking me for a raise in his pocket money. I don't even know where to start from.....but am definitely giving him this night of bliss......he has since returned to his room and now playing some West Life song so loud his mum had to call him to turn it down.
Do u have experience with teenage boys falling in love? Should I let his mum do the "drilling"? Should I increase his monthly wage? Just confused but definitely I AM HAPPY FOR HIM......my son now has a girlfriend!!!!![/b]

6 Likes

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Acidosis(m): 11:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
I am happy for you cheesy cheesy

No. 1 reason: that your son is not gay.

No.2:
cos you're the next grandfather in town grin

|Singing|
oya ko mo le..ma jo loooo babyy..
mo ni ko ko mo le ma jo looo babyy..
cheesy

14 Likes

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by denzel2009: 11:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
Folami sounds like a boys name tho.

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 06, 2013
*clears throat* humorous thread for a change, not all these people moving in and checking out how many meat in the yeye black razzo cheap pot cheesy

Baba Oyo ..... congrats , one advice for you, keep your korororo eyes on that next promotion at your place of work, you need all extras you can get, e no easy to do fine boy oh cheesy he will need a phone upgrade too, you'll see .... 17years?? whoa grandpa in progress. Good job sir. grin

Singing
Eba mi pe fola mi ko mailo oh
Moti so wi pe faaji lawayi

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 11:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
Acidosis: I am happy for you cheesy cheesy

No.2:

|Singing|
cheesy
Did you read my mind?
Arghhhhh....you try....am most happy knowing he is not G-A-Y too....that's the basic reason why am so happy....guy, u try o!!!!
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 12:01am On Jun 07, 2013
denzel2009: Folami sounds like a boys name tho.
Denzel Washington....Fola Mi is a pet name for a female bearing Folakemi I guess.....its not a one word but two separate words meaning "my Fola".

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 12:06am On Jun 07, 2013
jidegirl12:

Baba Oyo ..... congrats , one advice for you, keep your korororo eyes on that next promotion at your place of work, you need all extras you can get, e no easy to do fine boy oh cheesy he will need a phone upgrade too, you'll see .... 17years?? whoa grandpa in progress. Good job sir. grin

Singing
Eba mi pe fola mi ko mailo oh
Moti so wi pe faaji lawayi

Madam Jide....yeye oba of Oyoland......its good to see things from the funny side of life......it keeps the soul young and the spirit alive. Many only see the dark side of every situation.
I try to see life with all the smile it represents.
Grandpa bawo? Haaaaaa....I don't want to think along that line o.
This one wey una don dey wax album for my son already?
Just confused o....but really happy!!
Omo eni I ba jo'ni.....a ba yo......eleyi ti Jo mi na.....Mo yo sese
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 07, 2013
Lolllll! You are happy, I'm sure the girl's parents wouldn't. grin grin grin They would be like 'if I catch baba oyo junior here ehn' grin

Baba Oyo, he will survive as you survived your own.
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 12:13am On Jun 07, 2013
stillwater: Lolllll! You are happy, I'm sure the girl's parents wouldn't. grin grin grin They would be like 'if I catch baba oyo junior here ehn' grin

Baba Oyo, he will survive as you survived your own.
Hahahaha....I hope he survives the twist and turns to come.
You know....u just never can believe ur kids have all it takes to survive out in the real world....guess that's one of the major fears of parents.
I guess his mum will do better justice talking to him than me.
As am beginning to think of "upgrading him" already....just like jidegirl talked about.
Hmmm....will see what Iya Oyo has to say tomorrow when I tell her!!!
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by slimyem: 12:26am On Jun 07, 2013
I don't think whatever you tell him now concerning that shorty will sink in neither will what Iya Oyo chooses to tell him either.Its his time. Let him live the bliss. He'll make his mistakes and he'll learn in time.
Just never stop watching him from the corner of your eye.cool

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 12:34am On Jun 07, 2013
slimyem: I don't think whatever you tell him now concerning that shorty will sink in neither will what Iya Oyo chooses to tell him either.Its his time. Let him live the bliss. He'll make his mistakes and he'll learn in time.
Just never stop watching him from the corner of your eye.cool
Well....I pray they are not costly mistakes though.
I will surely let him keep his "Fola Mi" no doubt....but hopefully it doesn't affect his academics......it could be distracting even for some adults falling in love for the first time o!!!
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by baby124: 12:35am On Jun 07, 2013
Baba Oyo, FOCUS!!! Now is the time to counsel him from experience. Talk to him about relationships, sex, protection and what you expect from him in school. He sounds like a really sweet boy, and has a 90% chance of getting heart broken. Also let him understand that you were not snooping but you heard his little talk between him and his sugar baby while going about your business. Make him understand that if he wants to provide for his fola and be the man he calls himself, he may have to get a job to purchase Fola's recharge card, give salary and other amala and gbegiri promises. Before he starts employing techniques to buy one textbook 3times or ways to provide for fola(hope you know all the tricks). Let him understand his younger ones are watching him, absolutely no pregnancy allowed until he has finished school and done very well, has a stable job and has empowered himself enough. Goodlucck

8 Likes

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 12:42am On Jun 07, 2013
baby_123: Baba Oyo, FOCUS!!! Now is the time to counsel him from experience. Talk to him about relationships, sex, protection and what you expect from him in school. He sounds like a really sweet boy, and has a 90% chance of getting heart broken. Also let him understand that you were not snooping but you heard his little talk between him and his sugar baby while going about your business. Make him understand that if he wants to provide for his fola and be the man he calls himself, he may have to get a job to purchase Fola's recharge card, give salary and other amala and gbegiri promises. Before he starts employing techniques to buy one textbook 3times or ways to provide for fola(hope you know all the tricks). Let him understand his younger ones are watching him, absolutely no pregnancy allowed until he has finished school and done very well, has a stable job and has empowered himself enough. Goodlucck
W-O-R-D !!!!!!
Appreciated.
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by slimyem: 1:00am On Jun 07, 2013
Baba Oyo:
Well....I pray they are not costly mistakes though.
I will surely let him keep his "Fola Mi" no doubt....but hopefully it doesn't affect his academics......it could be distracting even for some adults falling in love for the first time o!!!
I would have been an advocate of parents doing all the teenage talk through ,admonishing and all of that if I believe that it actually work but having passed through the stage myself and knowing what I did against all the advice, I am almost certain the influence would be slight at this age when teens usually have their own mind.

I really think if you have trained him up well then its time to start trusting him. Even when you have to talk the talk,do it on a light note while sounding more like a pal than a father. He can handle it. Best wishes.

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Roland17(m): 1:01am On Jun 07, 2013
This might be his first of many especially if he follows the footstep of his father oooooo grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by greatgod2012(f): 1:12am On Jun 07, 2013
Baba oyo, baba oyo, baba oyo, how many times did i call you

This is the time to be closer and friendlier with the guy.
May God help you, hm and all of us. Amen.
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 5:04am On Jun 07, 2013
greatgod2012: Baba oyo, baba oyo, baba oyo, how many times did i call you

Points well noted. thanx madam .
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 5:08am On Jun 07, 2013
Roland17: This might be his first of many especially if he follows the footstep of his father oooooo grin grin
Lollll ....believe me if he followed "his father's" footsteps, he will be an "S.U" at this stage.
Some of us started the "woman business" quite later than other boys.....but I guess late starters become champions in the long run....hmmm.....reminisce.!!!
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by armyofone(m): 5:56am On Jun 07, 2013
Yes and also the time to talk con.dom in case of Agro grin let me borrow Dayo's word.
Don't forget to take the bible or Koran with you when chatting him up.
Quote chapter and verses too and preach abstinence.

greatgod2012: Baba oyo, baba oyo, baba oyo, how many times did i call you

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by damiso(f): 6:16am On Jun 07, 2013
Awwwww(*sighing na teenage years they scare me past.God i wish they will see me as mummy the nearest thing to perfection forever* smiley)

Cos looking back,at that point i just thought my mum (especially)did not get me wink

I think Baby nailed everyother thing i was going to say.
baby_123: Baba Oyo, FOCUS!!! Now is the time to counsel him from experience. Talk to him about relationships, sex, protection and what you expect from him in school. He sounds like a really sweet boy, and has a 90% chance of getting heart broken. Also let him understand that you were not snooping but you heard his little talk between him and his sugar baby while going about your business. Make him understand that if he wants to provide for his fola and be the man he calls himself, he may have to get a job to purchase Fola's recharge card, give salary and other amala and gbegiri promises. Before he starts employing techniques to buy one textbook 3times or ways to provide for fola(hope you know all the tricks). Let him understand his younger ones are watching him, absolutely no pregnancy allowed until he has finished school and done very well, has a stable job and has empowered himself enough. Goodlucck
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by lagcity(m): 6:24am On Jun 07, 2013
denzel2009: Folami sounds like a boys name tho.

aaaahhhhh! which one be dis? no come pour sand for garri here oo
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by baby124: 7:36am On Jun 07, 2013
damiso: Awwwww(*sighing na teenage years they scare me past.God i wish they will see me as mummy the nearest thing to perfection forever* smiley)

Cos looking back,at that point i just thought my mum (especially)did not get me wink

I think Baby nailed everyother thing i was going to say.

Abi now, but in hindsight I think this talk is as important for girls as it is for boys. All this puppy love in uni is wonderful until she realises the son cant buy her 150k weave and Gucci bag like her mates, then she jumps to sugar daddy or the bad boys in school after putting pressure on the boy which he doesn't need. So he doesn't involve in all sorts like yahoo, cults and armed robbery to please her. I assume the girl is either younger or his age mate. The story of her wanting an older, badder, swaggerlicious and richer boyfriend may enter the matter too. If his head is in too deep all this can severely affect his studies. Baba oyo should also ask to meet this girl, so with his trained eye he can ask questions and examine her. The proper us of con*dom too is very important. Afterall some girls carry nasty sugar daddy and have boyfriends in uni. He doesn't want his son catching what he didn't bargain for. Nothing like unprotected love anymore.
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by vanitty: 7:48am On Jun 07, 2013
It is his time jare, let him enjoy it well well. I feel more sorry for Folami sef.
The ideal advice is to tell him to be celibate but ermmm lets be realistic!!

Plus : if you are his only source of money, he will most likely become nicerrrrrr to you, the boy will be needing more money to impress Folami so you can drill into his head then about "life"

Minus : Now that he "thinks" he is a man, he will start challenging your authority more sha, be patient with him so be cooling temper with justice or the other way round
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by slimyem: 7:54am On Jun 07, 2013
vanitty: It is his time jare, let him enjoy it well well. I feel more sorry for Folami sef.
The ideal advice is to tell him to be celibate but ermmm lets be realistic!!

Plus : if you are his only source of money, he will most likely become nicerrrrrr to you, the boy will be needing more money to impress Folami so you can drill into his head then about "life"

Minus : Now that he "thinks" he is a man, he will start challenging your authority more sha, be patient with him so be cooling temper with justice or the other way round
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by bellong: 8:05am On Jun 07, 2013
Baby_123, gave a good advice. Yes, he needs to be talked to more like an adult and not like a kid. He needs guidance and advice on how to run a relationship and how to handle the opposite sex with care. Gone are the days when people used to marry at 18, if not he is closer to tying the nuptial knot.

Baba Oyo, this is one of the most important times in the life of youths (the teenage years). Talk to him about his vision and desire for and from life, from there you give parental and sound advice with real life example on accomplishing it. As much as he needs to be successful in this relationship, he also needs to see the bigger picture out of life from this stage. In essence, he deserves more of parental counsel, advice and friendship more at this stage.

PS: To all parents, its a good thing that parents develop a good relationship and friendship with their children from birth. The relationship will make them willingly seek for counsel and advice when situation like this arises.

It is well with your son's new phase of life.
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by tegax(m): 8:11am On Jun 07, 2013
Pray your son is not on nairaland lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by BabaOyo(m): 8:17am On Jun 07, 2013
Hmmm....as you all rightly said, its a critical milestone in a parents life to watch the kids grow into adulthood.
I have always envisaged this happening but my sub conscious always focused on the girls.
I definitely have picked a lot of ideas from this thread....which wl come in handy later this evening when I come back from work.
By the way, this young dude woke up around 6am to wash two cars.......surprising as he had to be reminded most times to wash just one car. I expect a demand for this "service" rendered later in the day.
Thanx all.......Keep u posted.
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Temismith(f): 8:31am On Jun 07, 2013
On d long run, na U̶̲̥̅̊ nd ur son get d folami cos na ur money he go D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ use maintain her.all d best.

1 Like

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 07, 2013
Acidosis: I am happy for you cheesy cheesy

No.2:

|Singing|
cheesy
grin grin grin grin
Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by being(m): 10:43am On Jun 07, 2013
Sir i can imagine your anxiety in seeing your son becoming an adult. But all children must become adults. D reason why they were born children is so that they can be tutored into whatever adult you want them to be. We all know from experience that relationships at this age usually don't last & worse still, cause unnecessary distractions. He needs to be told with love, respect and frankness. If boys are taught more about relationships, girls will have less problems. In all, if u r a christian, i suggest u consult d bible more on sex and relationships and how you as a parent should handle things like this. It's d manual of life.

2 Likes

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 07, 2013
Parents are really changing oh! Eh! To let my Pa hear say u get girlfriend? U wan die? cheesy Sha counsel him right, show u r a partner in th crime now, dat way he'll always come to you for advice without fear!

2 Likes

Re: My Son Just Got A Girlfriend....Happy But Scared!!! by dahmie2013: 11:47am On Jun 07, 2013
cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"My Husband Does Not Last Long In Bed And Now I'm Sleeping With My Ex" / Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill? / Phase When You Start Hating Your Family’s Financial Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.