Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,753 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Ex-us Navy SEAL Comes Out As Transgender 'warrior Princess' - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ex-us Navy SEAL Comes Out As Transgender 'warrior Princess' (951 Views)

Princess Adeola, Daughter Of The Ooni Of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Daughter Of The Ooni Of Ife, Princess Adeola Ogunwusi / Hausa Hero And Warrior Queen Amina Of Zaria Full History,life And Legendary Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ex-us Navy SEAL Comes Out As Transgender 'warrior Princess' by Ochek: 8:05am On Jun 07, 2013
Turned on the TV this morning and it was on CNN. Ok! Let me see whatz happening around the globe before i switch back to our home station and get the good, bad and ugly news - especially the winning on Boko guys.
What the hell? So this guy thinks he would be better as a lady then decides to do what it takes. After been recognised as a hero fa.
If only men were God(s).

Washington: A decorated former US Navy SEAL is now living life as a woman after undergoing
hormone therapy and has written about her
gender struggle in a new memoir titled "Warrior
Princess." Kirsten Beck has published an eBook recounting
her inner turmoil while she served in the all-male
SEAL Team 6, which she retired from months
before the unit killed Al Qaeda leader Osama bin
Laden at his Pakistan hideout in 2011. Beck's book comes more than two years since
Congress repealed a ban on openly homosexual
troops serving in the American military. But openly
transgender men and women are still barred from
service and activists hope the memoir could help
lift the prohibition. The book went on sale on Saturday on
Amazon.com and has the subtitle, "A US Navy
SEAL's Journey to Coming out Transgender," with a
cover photo of Beck looking like the quintessential
SEAL warrior in the field, complete with bushy
beard, dark sunglasses and a camouflage uniform. To Beck's surprise, former comrades have sent in
messages of support and encouragement. "Brother, I am with you ... being a SEAL is hard, this
looks harder. Peace," one commando reportedly
wrote her. Other Navy SEALs, including some involved in the
bin Laden raid, have written memoirs under
pseudonyms describing dramatic battles along
with anecdotes of camaraderie and frustration
with Washington's bureaucracy. But Beck used no pseudonym in writing about a
20-year military career, including 13 deployments
around the world, in which she struggled with her
gender identity and gradually recognized she was
meant to be a woman. "I am now taking off all my disguises and letting
the world know my true identity as a woman,"
Beck wrote on the LinkedIn social media site, after
changing the name on her profile page to Kristen
from Chris. Beck co-authored the memoir with Anne
Speckhard, an adjunct associate professor of
psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical
School, who said the ex-commando fought to
suppress his angst over gender for years. "Chris describes his despair throughout this book
and his desire to die honorably by serving our
country and fighting terrorism - to keep us safe
and so that he wouldn't have to wrestle anymore
with the emotional pain that stemmed from the
lack of congruency between his gender identity and body," she writes in the book. "After multiple combat deployments - more than
many SEALs ever encounter, Chris returned back
alive to fight this deeper battle in his soul and
grappled with the moral and social decisions of
living in secret or to transition into her true self."

http://m.ndtv.com/article/world/ex-us-navy-seal-comes-out-as-transgender-warrior-princess-375920

Video: http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2443193647001

Re: Ex-us Navy SEAL Comes Out As Transgender 'warrior Princess' by PAPAAFRICA: 9:11am On Jun 07, 2013
Re: Ex-us Navy SEAL Comes Out As Transgender 'warrior Princess' by makahlj2: 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2013
More power to her.

(1) (Reply)

Ogbudu Amogu War Dance In Ihiagwa Oratta Igbo / Help Me With This Proverb / Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.