Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,506 members, 7,770,268 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:22 AM

Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? (50227 Views)

2012 Batch C, How Much Did You Save From Your Alawi? / Corpers How Do You Manage Your N19,000 (Alawe) Monthly / Corpers: How Do Soldiers In Your Various Camps Treat You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 10:32am On Jun 07, 2013
First of all, Congratulations on our successfull pass out!!!
On to the matter; I was gisting with a friend of mine (a nairalander cool) on the parade ground yesterday, we talked about our savings from our alawe, i was amazed when he told me he has not touched his 9 months alawe, imagine 19800*9shocked. I was like what have i been doing all the while with my alawe cos i cant boast of any savings Lol.

After my chat with him, i went about asking my friends how much they saved, some said they saved 10k every month, some said they give 200 naira everyday to Akawo, some said NYSC money is drug money so they have no savings.

I have a friend who served last year, after his service, he used his savings to buy a bag of rice, tubers of yam and some other food stuffs for his uncle who sponsored his education, then he got a bb, changed his wardrobe etc etc. I wondered if he'll have some change left for him.

Well, i dont regrette what i used my alawe to do because they are tangible investments(conssoling myself grin).

So i throw the question to you guys, including those that passed out since and those still serving. How much did/have you save/d and what are your plans/did you do with the money?. kiss

1 Like

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by jahlove4jah: 7:44pm On Jun 07, 2013
i saved 65k
and I did hse level II and III

2 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by tallfish145(m): 8:20am On Jun 08, 2013
Saving money depends on where u served!

16 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by tallfish145(m): 8:23am On Jun 08, 2013
some said NYSC money is drug money so they have no savings. That one na true sha
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by ujchief(m): 1:02pm On Jun 08, 2013
N19,800 x 11 = N217,800.
That's what I saved. Except the first allowee that was paid at camp, I didn't go to bank once to touch that NYSC account. Well, it was easy for me b'cos I had somewhere I was doing a secondary assignment cheesycheesy so it will be wrong to measure other corpers savings with mine.

As for my plans for the cash, I've already paid N50k for NISP safety professional course (levels 2 and 3) starting on monday thru friday at ph. After this, I will still find other professional courses to enroll with the cash, and maybe pick my Msc form with it.

Trying to empower myself with the cash so when I remember my service year, I wouldn't say it was a waste.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 1:53pm On Jun 09, 2013
ujchief: N19,800 x 11 = N217,800.
That's what I saved. Except the first allowee that was paid at camp, I didn't go to bank once to touch that NYSC account. Well, it was easy for me b'cos I had somewhere I was doing a secondary assignment cheesycheesy so it will be wrong to measure other corpers savings with mine.

As for my plans for the cash, I've already paid N50k for NISP safety professional course (levels 2 and 3) starting on monday thru friday at ph. After this, I will still find other professional courses to enroll with the cash, and maybe pick my Msc form with it.

Trying to empower myself with the cash so when I remember my service year, I wouldn't say it was a waste.

Woooow!! That's cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 1:58pm On Jun 09, 2013
I was with a friend yestrday and she was calculating her savings, she had a total of 288000, she was sad, she said she had a target of 400kshocked. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by Nielbaba(m): 2:15pm On Jun 09, 2013
ujchief: N19,800 x 11 = N217,800.

pls bro wat kinnd of seconndary assignnment u doin ,please gv me clue ,I needd to save more like u to get my Msc wit sm professional course like u pls

2 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by imolekan: 3:12pm On Jun 09, 2013
@Mod. Kindly push this thread to FP it will be useful to potential Corp member like me. Tnx
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by ujchief(m): 8:51pm On Jun 09, 2013
Niel baba: pls bro wat kinnd of seconndary assignnment u doin ,please gv me clue ,I needd to save more like u to get my Msc wit sm professional course like u pls

I was already working before I went for service. I worked my service to a convenient PPA and made proper arrangements to ghost it and returned to my work. It wasn't that easy, but it worked quite alright.

3 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 10:12am On Jun 10, 2013
imolekan: @Mod. Kindly push this thread to FP it will be useful to potential Corp member like me. Tnx
Yeh, you are right.
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 10:17am On Jun 10, 2013
Niel baba: pls bro wat kinnd of seconndary assignnment u doin ,please gv me clue ,I needd to save more like u to get my Msc wit sm professional course like u pls
While waiting for your posting, you can acquire a skill, like sewing, catering, decoration, IT stuffs etc. You can be rendering your services to people around you while serving. I'm into interiors, during my service year i did some stuffs for the teachers in my ppa, that has given me the network i need to start my biz full time. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by Nonywendy(m): 2:05pm On Jun 10, 2013
The only money i saved was dat 2 months allawi dey paid us on our passing out ie 39600....i served in calabar. Cost of living dia na die plus flexin etc. *Ekaette and edikaikong*

16 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 7:58pm On Jun 10, 2013
Nonywendy: The only money i saved was dat 2 months allawi dey paid us on our passing out ie 39600....i served in calabar. Cost of living dia na die plus flexin etc. *Ekaette and edikaikong*
Hahaha. Thank God you no chop kobnomi, lol, u for still dey serve there. You re right about the cost of living in Cally, it's very high.

7 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by Okoya(f): 12:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
Lips sealed# good topic though
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by chygoz3(m): 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
I've got like 47k in my nysc account now and NYSC Rivers state is still owing me 1 month allowance. so I can say I saved about 67k. Then add state allowance of 110k that is still to be paid.
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by ayobase(m): 12:14am On Jun 12, 2013
Income

Allowee (total): N236,400

Expenses

-Tithe: N23,640
-Investment(partnership):N15,000
-Laptop, Charger and gadgets fixing: N40,000
-Fuel: N15,000
-Transportation: N30,000
-Give out: N25,000
-BIS and recharge cards: N30,000
-Provisions, foods and the likes: N55,000
-Hair Cut: N5,000
-Pure Water: N10,000
-Kulikuli and Tiger nut*: N3,000

I just estimated those, some are more than what I calculated!

I never mention stationery, CDS money matter, clothing, 'flexing', gadgets, ijekuje and the likes o.

Remember that we were on a contract of about N250,000 with the FG for one year.

Can you tell me how much u spent within a year while in School?

God forbids poverty mentality!

My motto is "always live a day at a time, and never worry (fear) about tomorrow"

Congrats to those that saved while serving.....environments matter though.

Nothwithstanding, I would have saved about N100,000 if I wasn't using Laptop, gadgets, phone and generator.

Even, would have saved more if I wasn't eating much, and not being too classy!

And what about if I didn't like giving my money out in terms of help.

I could go on and on, but the question remains, did u spend ur money wisely?

Money is meant to solve problems, if u saved without solving the problems, then you are gonna use the 'saved' to solve later....SIMPLE!

I LOVE COMFORTABILITY!

129 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by Patuwa: 8:50am On Jun 12, 2013
I am a current Batch A Corp member serving in Warri - Delta State. Cost of living is fairly high here. I just hope to be able to save as u fellas have done before passing out from service. Lolz.
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by nell07(m): 10:42am On Jun 12, 2013
ujchief:

I was already working before I went for service. I worked my service to a convenient PPA and made proper arrangements to ghost it and returned to my work. It wasn't that easy, but it worked quite alright.

Hmm.... Are you sure you aren't that guy at my ppa that we only saw once every month.badoo

As per allawii savings, I wouldn't say I saved a penny during service.
I would rather say I did more of investing.
Been buying and selling used phones... Still doing it. Paying off majorly.
For prospective and serving corps members..... Find a way to invest the little savings from uni days (all those remnants from final year project)
Then as you collect monthly allawii it'll almost automatically go into your investment, and instead of just saving 19,800 x 11 you'd have almost 1.5 of the amount by the time you're through with NYSC.
Money'z got wingz y'all ...... And inflation destroys savings

1 Like

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by dlex21(m): 7:47am On Jun 13, 2013
I cannot categorically say I've saved anyfin...cos one way or d oda, one fing or d oda always come up...bt d good fing is I invested with it
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 13, 2013
this is a good front page material. To those who really saved, how were you able to do it?? Cos i'm thinking when u saved the whole 19k, what were you surviving on?? I'll be serving dis '13 batch b. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 8:05pm On Jun 13, 2013
ayobase:
Money is meant to solve problems, if u saved without solving the problems, then you are gonna use the 'saved' to solve later....SIMPLE!

I LOVE COMFORTABILITY!

Dazz orl!!cool
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 13, 2013
for real? Methinks to a large extent savings depend on ur location, ppa, etc. Some ppa wil afford u ample opportunity to hustle around *if u know what i mean*. I'm currently a batch A corps member in south south. Savings no easy oh, seriously but make we dey hope.
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by dlex21(m): 8:49am On Jun 14, 2013
booqee: this is a good front page material. To those who really saved, how were you able to do it?? Cos i'm thinking when u saved the whole 19k, what were you surviving on?? I'll be serving dis '13 batch b. Thanks
U can only save d whole 19k if u av oda sources of income, else no even reason am...cos even d 19k no reach spend

1 Like

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by chygoz3(m): 9:38am On Jun 14, 2013
dlex21:
U can only save d whole 19k if u av oda sources of income, else no even reason am...cos even d 19k no reach spend
It depends on the kind of person you are. Someone in my ppa saved up to 150k from his 19k8 and he had no other source of income.
Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by demmy55(m): 10:50am On Jun 14, 2013
Well, I haven't been able to save anything so far and I have about 4months left to pass out. The 19,800 ain't even enough to cater for my expenses, let alone saving part of it.

I hate it when I see some people (corpers) being stingy on themselves all in the name of 'saving'. You always hear them say 'I don't have money, I don't have money' meanwhile they have thousands of Naira breathing in their bank account. They always opt out when some compulsory contribution (e.g. CDS, Church donation, tithe etc) comes up. You never see such people buy drinks or snacks (Coke, Viju, Malt, Biscuit, Chocolate etc) for themselves let alone buy for another person. They always expect someone else to buy for them while they are busy saving their allowee.

I keep asking myself, is it not the same 19,800 they pay all of us

In conclusion, everyone have different plans and knows what works for him/her.
As for moi, my Bible has taught me to be generous and not to worry about anything and that has been working for moi grin

29 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by sigba(f): 11:05am On Jun 14, 2013
demmy55: Well, I haven't been able to save anything so far and I have about 4months left to pass out. The 19,800 ain't even enough to cater for my expenses, let alone saving part of it.

I hate it when I see some people (corpers) being stingy on themselves all in the name of 'saving'. You always hear them say 'I don't have money, I don't have money' meanwhile they have thousands of Naira breathing in their bank account. They always opt out when some compulsory contribution (e.g. CDS, Church donation, tithe etc) comes up. You never see such people buy drinks or snacks (Coke, Viju, Malt, Biscuit, Chocolate etc) for themselves let alone buy for another person. They always expect someone else to buy for them while they are busy saving their allowee.

As for moi, my Bible has taught me to be generous and not to worry about anything and that has been working for moi grin
Lol. You are very right about some corps memvers beign stingy to themselves even starving theirself all in the name of saving.
There was this colleague of mine who is ready to stand on the highway for hours till she gets a free ride to town. lol. She doesnt go out without her NYSC face cap, even if she's on buba and gele she must wear her cap for her to beg for free ride. lol.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by demmy55(m): 11:35am On Jun 14, 2013
sigba:
Lol. You are very right about some corps memvers beign stingy to themselves even starving theirself all in the name of saving.
There was this colleague of mine who is ready to stand on the highway for hours till she gets a free ride to town. lol. She doesnt go out without her NYSC face cap, even if she's on buba and gele she must wear her cap for her to beg for free ride. lol.

cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by ayobase(m): 5:57pm On Jun 14, 2013
I surely picture what kind of person he or she is!

N150K?
So he/she spent like N70K for a whole year.
That like N6K every month!

We are different sha!
Hmmmm!

chygoz3: It depends on the kind of person you are. Someone in my ppa saved up to 150k from his 19k8 and he had no other source of income.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by dlex21(m): 7:27pm On Jun 14, 2013
chygoz3: It depends on the kind of person you are. Someone in my ppa saved up to 150k from his 19k8 and he had no other source of income.
means d person spent roughly 6k a month...mehn! I really wonder the kind of person he is...

This savings Ish is highly over-rated cos the so called savings would still be spent one way or d oda...u can't save it 4ever. sooo y not use the money 2 invest or run a small scale stuff that can continue 2 yield money on a long term rather than save, save and save...no-one knows 2Mao o!!!

4 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by dlex21(m): 7:32pm On Jun 14, 2013
demmy55: Well, I haven't been able to save anything so far and I have about 4months left to pass out. The 19,800 ain't even enough to cater for my expenses, let alone saving part of it.

I concor! Run away frm dese kind of pple cos even wen dey av problems, they'll expect u 2 pay 4 it wen they av thousands of naira in their account...

Although, the money is 2 be spent wisely but it doesn't mean u shouldn't av a good time every once in a yl...*u only serve once* seems pple who are stingy 2 demselves in d name of savings don't av hope of getting a job after service...that's y dey r totally dependent on their savings...IMO ooo!!!

6 Likes

Re: Ex-Corpers, How Much Did You Save From Your Allowee? by dlex21(m): 7:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
sigba:
Lol...NA her type dem dey use do ritual

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Corpers Pay ‘Thank You’ Visit To Buhari Over N33,000 NYSC Allowance (Photos) / Corper Somtochukwu Okonkwo Uses 5 Months Allowance To Develop Ogun Village / Lanre Amu: ‘My NYSC Experience At 54'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.