Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network (9378 Views)

When Will Nigerians Get Good Unlimited Internet Services In This Country? / Are Internet Services In Nigeria Really Another Big Joke? / Broadband Internet Services in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network by pingpendragOn: 10:39am On Jun 07, 2013
How to configure PCs in a network.

First of all configuring computer without plugging cross over LAN wire.
1. Configuration:
On desktop, go to start -> connect to -> show all connections.
2. Select your LAN card and right click to select properties.
3. Once in your LAN hardware properties, tick “show icon in notification area when connected” and select “internet protocol (TCP/IP)” and HIT properties.
4. In your TCP/IP properties select “use the following IP address” and fill in the following
IP address => 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask => 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway => 192.168.0.2
Select “use the following DNS server address” and fill the following preferred DNS server
192.168.0.2 and HIT advanced.
5. once here select the “WINS” tab and select “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”
6. Now HIT “ok” on all the screens to close them, and this ends the configuration for your LAN hardware on your desktop/computer.
Sharing drivers & folders
The next step after your configuration of the desktop PC would be to what drivers / folders you want to share so that you can read and write to them from any other PC connected to it.
1. In this case I have taken my E: drive and I want to share it with another PC that I connect. So open “my computer” and right click on the drive you desire and select “sharing and security”.
2. In case you never connected to a network, you would be presented with a screen like this……………..
3. After you accept to the previous screen by clicking on the link, you will be presented with another screen where you have to select “network setup wizard”.
4. Once on the network setup wizard, go through the screens till you come to a point where it shows your LAN hardware, select it then tick “ignore disconnected network hardware”.
5. Then you have to select the first option of your computer connecting to the internet directly as this is your desktop/computer1 and it would directly communicate with your modem.
6. Next you will be asked to select your internet connection, so choose yor current hardware that connect to the internet.
7. Next give any computer description you want to, so it is easier for you tpob identify and then give your desktop/computer1 a name, let this name be unique and make sure you do not use the same name elsewhere for any other computer on the network.
8. The next step is important because the workgroup you specify here would have to be the same on the other computer as well, for this, I use the default name by Microsoft “WORKGROUP”.

By Igwe PendragOn.
Re: Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network by pingpendragOn: 10:44am On Jun 07, 2013
9. Next select “turn on file & printer sharing”.
10. And lastly, select “Just finish the wizard, I don’t need to run the wizard on other computers” and HIT next.
11. Finally, the network and sharing box will be enabled so here TICK “share this folder on the network, give a share name if you wish or just leave the default. And tick allow users to change my files.
12. To share a folder, right click on the folder and select sharing and security then, when you are presented with a properties box, do the same as you did for sharing your hard drive. TICK “share this folder on the network” give a share name if you wish or just leave the default. And TICK “allow network users to change my files.

Your job on the computer1 is done.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!S

Configuring computer2
1. On your laptop/computer2 go to start => connect to => show all connections.
2. Select your LAN card and right click to select properties.
3. Once in your LAN hardware properties, TICK show icon in notification areas when connected and select internet protocol (TCP/IP) and HIT properties.
4. In your TCP/IP properties select “use the following addresses” and fill in the following
IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Select use the following DNS server addresses, fill following preferred DNS address 192.168.0.1 and HIT advanced.
5. Once here select the WINS tab and select Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP.
6. Now HIT “ok” on all the screens to close them, and this ends the configuration of LAN on computer2.
AFTERWARDS, things to NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Make sure that your workgroup is the same on but the PCs you connect. If you want to check your work group names, or want to change them, go to start => right click “my computer” select properties then select the “computer name “tab, and do your necessary changes.
2. Connect the cross over wire on both the PCs and whoops!!!!!! Then we have a network.
3. On your laptop/computer2, go to start => RUN and type \\192.168.0.1 . This is the address of your desktop computer when you HIT enter, you will be presented with a folder which would show you all the drives and folders you are sharing on the network.
4. Your internet will also be on the network, so feel free to browse too.

How helpful was this?...drop your comments!!!!!

By Igwe PendragOn. Tel: 07030105295 for more information.
Re: Setting Up Pc To Pc Lan And Sharing A Usb Modem Internet Services In The Network by Drdreluv: 9:23pm On Jun 10, 2013
HMMMMMMMM I HOPR IT WORKS

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Your Favourite Browser? / Network Engineers Lounge: Guys/gals What Project Are You Working On / Student Builds $125 'ipad' For Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.