Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

If I Was From A Poor Home - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / If I Was From A Poor Home (725 Views)

Mtn's 'if I Was Your Child' Advert, Wrong English? / . / Principles Of A Poor Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If I Was From A Poor Home by afunmmy: 7:04pm On Jun 07, 2013
This is the define issue of our time. He said. This is the make-or-break moment for the middle class, and for all those who are fighting to get into the middle class. Because what’s at stake is whether this will be a country where working people can earn enough to raise a family, build a modest savings, own a home , secure their retirement.

He’s right. The spread between the rich and poor has gotten wider over the decades. And the opportunities for the 99% have become harder to realize.

Rich kids are no smarter than similar kids their age from poor homes. Kids from the rich have it much easier than their counterparts from poor home. The world is not fair to those kids mainly because they had the misfortune of being born two miles away into a more difficult part of the world and with a race that makes realizing the opportunities that is been aired hard.

I am not a poor kid. I am a youth, a guy who comes from a middle class background from the city. So life was a bit easier for me. But that doesn’t mean that the prospects are impossible for those kids from the poor background and from the inner city.it doesn’t mean that there are no opportunities for them. Or that 1% controls the world and the rest of us have to fight over the scraps left behind. I don’t believe that. I believe that everyone in this country has a chance (OPPORTUNITY) to succeed.

It takes brains. It takes hard work. It takes a little luck. And a little helps from others. It takes the ability and the know-how to use the resources that are available. Like technology.
If I was born without opportunities: I would first and most importantly work to make sure I get the best grades possible. I would make it my #1 priority to be able to read sufficiently. I wouldn’t care if I was a student at the worst public school in the worst inner city “even the worst have their best. And the very best students, even at the worst schools have more opportunities.

I would use the technology available to me as a student. I would become expert at Google scholar, visit study site like Sparknote. I’d watch relevant teachings on academics Earth, TED and khan Academy. (I say relevant because some of these lectures may not be relevant to my work or may be too advanced for my age). I would use Skype to study with other student who also wants to do well in my school. I would make my writing and communication skills stay polished.

Is this easy? No it’s not. It’s hard; it takes a special kind of kid to succeed. And to succeed even with these tools is much harder. But it’s not impossible. The tools are there. The technologies are there. And the opportunities are there.
The division between the rich and the poor is a national problem. But the biggest challenge we face isn’t inequality. It’s ignorance. So many of us are from a family where parent are too busy and comes home at night plain tried to help us. Many of the people who are in position to help us are overburdened and too stressed to find time for us. Many of us don’t even have the brain to figure things out ourselves.

The resources we have can help us. but only if we want to be helped. Yes, there is much inequality. But the opportunities are still there in this country for those that are smart enough to go for it.
THANK YOU
Re: If I Was From A Poor Home by walukoe: 11:40am On Jun 08, 2013
It's a good one.
Re: If I Was From A Poor Home by tpia5: 1:41pm On Jun 08, 2013
Interesting
Re: If I Was From A Poor Home by rikimarucrowdk(m): 4:39pm On Jun 08, 2013
very resourceful
Re: If I Was From A Poor Home by afunmmy: 8:03pm On Jun 08, 2013
Moderator pls front page want to know if it is a good write up to use for a training on Opportunity.
Re: If I Was From A Poor Home by luvmijeje(f): 8:35pm On Jun 08, 2013
Op, I partly agree with you. Nice write-up.

(1) (Reply)

A Typical Nairaland Thread / Do I Have A Future In Writing. Three Short Stories For You To Read And Review / Ife's Diary: Sunday Swag And Milkshakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.