Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,331 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle (33093 Views)

Meet The Beautiful Girl Who Was Nigeria’s First Test-tube Baby / Nigerians Spent N2bn On Video Streaming In 2014 / (PHOTO) Old But Untold Story Of Indian Girl Who Had Been Frozen For 500 Years. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by mukina2: 10:32pm On Jun 07, 2013
Heart-warming pictures of the real life Mowgli, a girl who spent the first ten years of her life growing up in the African bush, have been released for the first time.

The magical images chronicle the life of Tippi Benjamine Okanti Degre, who was brought up with wild animals, just like Rudyard Kipling's hero did in The Jungle Book.

The images in 'Tippi: My Book of Africa' - now being published worldwide for the first time - show the young girl making friends with an elephant, who she calls her brother, and a leopard, her best friend.

Bond: Tippi aged 6 sitting on the back of Linda, a tamed ostrich in South Africa, left, and cradling two meerkats

Follow me: Tippi riding on Abu's neck as he leads his herd in Okavango Swamps, Botswana

The adventure started where Tippi was born in Namibia, and ended in her travelling through countries like Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa.

'Her everyday life was making sure monkeys did not steal her bottle,' said Sylvie.

'Or she would call me over and point to an elephant eating from a palm tree and say 'mummy, be quiet, we're going to frighten him.'

'She had so much freedom.

'It was like having the biggest playground. We lived in a tent, completely in the wild, but she always woke up with the sun shining and her parents around her. She was very lucky.'

And the incredible photos - from sitting on the back of an ostrich, lying peacefully with a young caracal, or dancing playfully with an elephant - show an unusual bond and tranquility between man and beast.

'She was so at ease with animals. She would talk to them with her eyes and her heart,' said Sylvie.

Using her innocence and imagination, the young 'Mowgli' befriended one of the giants of the animal kingdom, Abu the African elephant.

'She had no fear,' said Sylvie.

So always had to keep a special eye on her daughter.

'I had the least fear I wouldn't have let Tippi anywhere near them. The photo with Tippi next to the young lion cub Mufasa sucking her thumb is wonderful.

'The year after this photo we came back and we went to see him and he was huge.

'Mufasa came to Tippi and he friendly brushed her with his long tail, like a cat would do, and she almost fell down. I had to take her away - I was not at ease.

'But she was only ever bitten once on the nose by a Meerkat, only two bites!

'This is funny because Tippi's middle name is Okanti, meaning mongoose or meerkat. They were part of her family in Africa, so I wanted her to have something to take home with her.'

'The second incident was when she met with Cindy the baboon at a water point. Cindy attacked Tippi's hair and pulled out a handful, out of jealousy.

'That was terribly painful! Wild animals are unpredictable. We can't be sure of their reaction as we are not of the same species, we don't know all of
their behaviour codes.

When Tippi returned to her parents' native country - France - at the age of ten, it was hard adjusting to city life in Paris.

'She missed the animals so much,' said her mother Sylvie.

'We didn't have room for a dog in our flat, so we got a budgie instead.

'It would go everywhere with her, even on the train, flying right by her side, sitting on her head or falling asleep on her shoulder.

'She loved that little bird so much. He was the only friend she had.'

Now aged 23 and studying her third year in a degree in cinema, Tippi is facing a different jungle ... the concrete one.

But the memories of her time in Africa - recorded in a series of interviews and written up into the book - will forever live on through its pages.

'She gave her heart and thoughts away in her book,' said Sylvie.

'It is like Mowgli's story, but for Tippi it's true.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337418/The-REAL-Mowgli-Incredible-images-little-girl-spent-years-life-growing-African-bush.html?ICO=most_read_module

7 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by fredoooooo: 10:51pm On Jun 07, 2013
OP na you be that ? tongue
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Caracta(f): 11:15pm On Jun 07, 2013
Awwww. Such an adorable little jungle princess. I'm surprised they had camera in all those places and took perfect pictures...like a photo shoot grin

12 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by otijah(m): 11:19pm On Jun 07, 2013
Plss OP wats the name of the movie, I will like to watch in full.

6 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by supaeagles(m): 11:21pm On Jun 07, 2013
Caracta: Awwww. Such an adorable little jungle princess. I'm surprised they had camera in all those places and took perfect pictures...like a photo shoot grin
very good point - something surreal about this whole story albeit an interesting read.
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by lilTunechi(m): 11:23pm On Jun 07, 2013
Chakwado!
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by gramci: 11:23pm On Jun 07, 2013
gods must be crazy

4 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 07, 2013
So what am i to learn from this story? Where i live is also a jungle so what's the difference? nonsense! next story please!!

6 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by UyiIredia(m): 11:25pm On Jun 07, 2013
Indeed. A young Mowgli, nay, Amazon. The photos are lovely.
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Agbgift(f): 11:29pm On Jun 07, 2013
This la film na. Cos I dey see dat bush man 4 d gods be crazy for one of d pics up der.

5 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Marineetyon(m): 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2013
And so.
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by strangest(m): 11:30pm On Jun 07, 2013
No brother in jungle
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Jerrygotswagg(m): 11:31pm On Jun 07, 2013
Don't tell me that those pics are real life cos you I don't believe there are still humans who dress like that......if its real then am leaving Africa to Egypt.....OMG
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by RedLight1: 11:31pm On Jun 07, 2013
otijah: Plss OP wats the name of the movie, I will like to watch in full.
The gods must be crazy in namibia grin

coming soon on your black and white tv sorry 3d tv grin grin
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by UyiIredia(m): 11:31pm On Jun 07, 2013
3 favourite pics: The one in which she stood on a rock in front of birds, sitting on an ostrich with herhair flowing like Pocahontas and sitting with that sbake on her laps. Now I hope that snake wasn't poisonous.

1 Like

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by jiffylibra: 11:32pm On Jun 07, 2013
To me it only gives credence to the word of God that in Paradise, man and animals will live together and they will do no harm.

8 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by mordiemmanuel: 11:33pm On Jun 07, 2013
Na which film Abeg?...FIRST PAGE TINZ

1 Like

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by davida222(m): 11:34pm On Jun 07, 2013
Hmmm... 21st century bush men on planet earth?
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by otijah(m): 11:35pm On Jun 07, 2013
Red-Light:
The gods must be crazy in namibia grin

coming soon on your black and white tv sorry 3d tv grin grin
ok na for namibia dem act d film?
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by TeenageMoney(m): 11:37pm On Jun 07, 2013
Space Booked and For Sale?!!!! Contact Within
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 07, 2013
THIS ONE NA NEW "THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY"
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 07, 2013
jiffylibra: To me it only gives credence to the word of God that in Paradise, man and animals will live together and they will do no harm.
Interesting! then you better relocate to the nearest zoo!

2 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by lifestyle1(m): 11:41pm On Jun 07, 2013
This one no funny

4 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by MrCork: 11:44pm On Jun 07, 2013
....his name is korak....son of tarzan angry
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by supaeagles(m): 11:45pm On Jun 07, 2013
Jerrygotswagg: ....then am leaving Africa to Egypt.....OMG
but Egypt de for Africa already

4 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Opoki(m): 11:46pm On Jun 07, 2013
Speaking in Yezudo's voice "Na lier you be Mukina, that pizure was takken when mai coxin come from Chekoslovakia to my Banana Ice land Manshum".

8 Likes

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by bobthebuilder99(m): 11:46pm On Jun 07, 2013
otijah: Plss OP wats the name of the movie, I will like to watch in full.

.... undecided
Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by supaeagles(m): 11:50pm On Jun 07, 2013
life_style: This one no funny
I agree because snake for wilderness no de sabi human being.

1 Like

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 07, 2013
georgina of the jungle.

1 Like

Re: Girl Who Spent Her First Years In The Jungle by ril19(m): 11:52pm On Jun 07, 2013
anybody wey tell me say those pictures na true true picture ehn, me and am go fight belle full for here.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Invents Machine That Can Transform Nylons & Plastics Into Petrol(pi / Nigerian Man Rejoices As He Captures A Very Big Owl In His Home (Pics/Video) / Learn How To Build A Fuelless Generator And Make Money This Year (video)!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.