Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants (16480 Views)

Photos Of MBGN 2015 Contestants In Traditional Costumes / Nigeria Lost Out As Miss South Africa Wins Miss World 2014 Pageant (Photos) / Miss Philippines Is Miss World 2013!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by ChristKid1: 1:21am On Jun 08, 2013
CONTESTANTS at this year's Miss World beauty pageant will not wear bikinis in the parade in a bid to avoid causing offence in Muslim-majority Indonesia, organisers have confirmed.

The 137 women taking part in the September contest will swap bikinis for more conservative attire, such as traditional sarongs, for the beach fashion section.

The contest is being held on the resort island of Bali, where foreign tourists flock in their millions and the beaches are packed with women sunbathing in skimpy swimwear.

But Miss World Organisation chairwoman Julia Morley insisted that none of the pageant's contestants would wear a bikini.

Bikinis have long been a feature of the Miss World beauty pageant. Picture: AFP

"I don't want to upset or get anyone in a situation where we are being disrespectful," she said from London.

"We treasure respect for all the countries that take part in the pageant," she said, adding the outfits had not yet been finalised. Organisers are treading carefully after a number of music acts to recently visit Indonesia provoked controversy because of performers' outfits.

Last year pop sensation Lady Gaga was forced to cancel her concert in Indonesia after Muslim hardliners threatened to burn down the venue and criticised her for only wearing"a bra and panties".

Singer Beyonce and band The Pussycat Dolls were also asked to cover up before performing in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country.

The upcoming Miss World pageant, to be held in Bali and Bogor just outside Jakarta, has already stirred anger with the country's top Muslim clerical body, the Indonesian Ulema Council, which has called for its cancellation.
http://www.news.com.au/world-news/miss-world-removes-bikinis-in-muslim-indonesia/story-fndir2ev-1226658277159

2 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by ChristKid1: 1:23am On Jun 08, 2013
Who's representing Nigeria btw?
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Afam4eva(m): 1:38am On Jun 08, 2013
Why must they take it there in the first place? These people wan come spoil show for person.

6 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by tpia5: 1:44am On Jun 08, 2013
Are those the sarongs?
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by gluv01(f): 2:05am On Jun 08, 2013
I like Muslims with their strict abiding laws...
If it were Christians, we wouldn't fight to protect our religion and please God. We all leave everything to God.

And I don't mean by carrying out threats or being overly physical, a more subtle approach will do.
Nice one @the post. They respect every religion

24 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by ChristKid1: 2:14am On Jun 08, 2013
tpia@:
Are those the sarongs?
No its not. Don't you have a bikini?
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by ChristKid1: 2:20am On Jun 08, 2013
gluv01: I like Muslims with their strict abiding laws...
If it were Christians, we wouldn't fight to protect our religion and please God. We all leave everything to God.

And I don't mean by carrying out threats or being overly physical, a more subtle approach will do.

What has religion got to do with pagaent show? If your religion forbides that kind of stuff then don't come or watch. Or were you forced to? Don't spoil the show for others because of your religion. Not everybody believes in your religion you know.

29 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by gluv01(f): 4:51am On Jun 08, 2013
Chris†Kid:

What has religion got to do with pagaent show? If your religion forbides that kind of stuff then don't come or watch. Or were you forced to? Don't spoil the show for others because of your religion. Not everybody believes in your religion you know.

I shouldn't ask you if you truly read every single word of the piece.
Didn't you see where was written about Muslims threatening to burn a vicinity if lady gaga dares come there, just coz of bra and pant.
I'm not putting religion in the way, i only observed the way of life of a Muslim, and that of a Christian which i am, and commented. Hold your peace please...am spoiling no fun, where's the fun here to spoil? smiley

16 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Akshow: 6:39am On Jun 08, 2013
gluv01:

Didn't you see where was written about Muslims threatening to burn a vicinity if lady gaga dares come there, just coz of bra and pant.
I'm not putting religion in the way, i only observed the way of life of a Muslim, and that of a Christian which i am, and commented. Hold your peace please...am spoiling no fun, where's the fun here to spoil? smiley
no need emphasizing that u re a xtian. No need for any comparative religious standard here too. Jus know it is wrong to Lord ur religious belief on others. If ur religion does nt permit nudity which I'm sure all religion does nt permit, sit at home don't go watch d pageant. If dem shw am for tv, switch it off. This is d 21st century and people re free to live n do wit their lives as they pls. So dearie, there is nothing to commend in this. Sha I blame d organisers for takin it dere sha.

15 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by valicious1(m): 7:36am On Jun 08, 2013
Ok they dont tolerate indecency in their country yet they'ld go bombing other non-muslim countries killing & rendering thousands homeless. Bloody aggresive bigots.

7 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by ChristKid1: 9:16am On Jun 08, 2013
gluv01:

You didnt only observed, you like the muslims way and accused Christians of not fighting to please God. That is so wrong.
And yes thats spoiling every fun. Now we don't get to see the normal bikini cus some people are overly sensitive.
Unless you gone show me you ina bikini? grin

1 Like

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 08, 2013

y not swap to islam since u lyk it....a religion dat stops at ntin to burn down d house of God....me lov my peacefl religion...neva said islam is nt peacfl

13 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by gluv01(f): 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2013
Chris†Kid:

You didnt only observed, you like the muslims way and accused Christians of not fighting to please God. That is so wrong.
And yes thats spoiling every fun. Now we don't get to see the normal bikini cus some people are overly sensitive.
Unless you gone show me you ina bikini? grin

grin grin sorry, next time they will hmmm?

1 Like

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by gluv01(f): 1:53pm On Jun 08, 2013
Akshow: no need emphasizing that u re a xtian. No need for any comparative religious standard here too. Jus know it is wrong to Lord ur religious belief on others. If ur religion does nt permit nudity which I'm sure all religion does nt permit, sit at home don't go watch d pageant. If dem shw am for tv, switch it off. This is d 21st century and people re free to live n do wit their lives as they pls. So dearie, there is nothing to commend in this. Sha I blame d organisers for takin it dere sha.

sorry too because i watch it grin
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 08, 2013
If Indonesia's so against women wearing bikinis, then they shouldn't have agreed to host the pageant in the first place. Why's the organization even hosting it in a Muslim country again? Miss World 2002 was supposed to be held in Nigeria, but it was cancelled because many Muslims were opposed to the show. Over 100 people died and many were injured in the riot that occurred as a result. The 92 contestants had to stay in a hotel in Abuja during the riots and then the pageant was moved to London. Maybe they shouldn't be taking this pageant to Muslim countries anymore.

6 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 08, 2013
tpia@:
Are those the sarongs?

This is a Sarong; not including the bra. Just the bottom piece only.

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 08, 2013
I wonder why they are doing the contest in that country in the first place. Their religion is not only against wearing bikinis, it is also against beauty peagents so this whole no bikini thing is quite senseless.

1 Like

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by ChristKid1: 8:25am On Jun 09, 2013
Gee i wonder why
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2013
valicious1: Ok they dont tolerate indecency in their country yet they'ld go bombing other non-muslim countries killing & rendering thousands homeless. Bloody aggresive bigots.
true tlk.
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Princesstosin: 7:44pm On Jun 12, 2013
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Princesstosin: 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
I will represent nigeria for the miss world.thank you
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
No bikini?

Ok so Na unclothedness dem go do?
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Bryancrox(m): 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
Pant things o
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
ULTIMATE FAIL!!!

Im guessing no guys will be watching Miss World this year.... well, unless you are gay.

2 Likes

Why nah ??
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

embarassed embarassed angry angry cry cry
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
Princess tosin: I will represent nigeria for the miss world.thank you

Let me see ur pix first angry

1 Like

What an idiotic post

7 Likes

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by Policewoman(f): 5:20pm On Jun 13, 2013
This may soon be moved to the Muslims section. Make una dey watch una tongue o! Anyways, na dem sabi. I no dey even watch that miss world kini.
Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by thelastPope(m): 5:22pm On Jun 13, 2013
Please why do they call these competitions miss world? should a lady be called miss world just because she can walk unclad on a stage even when she sleeps around, smokes pot or even cocaine, trades her body for favours? Na wa for all these pop culture things. No more values. No wonder they cant stay married for up to 5 years, that is if they even get married... grin

1 Like

Re: No Bikinis For This Year’s Miss World Contestants by nep2ra(m): 5:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
Policewoman: This may soon be moved to the Muslims section. Make una dey watch una tongue o! Anyways, na dem sabi. I no dey even watch that miss world kini.

Hi, how are you doing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Knows About Neutrogena Light Sesame Formula And Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula / Dressing Tips For Overweight Women / Beauty Pageant: Is It Still Relevant? See The Defence Of Pageant Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.