Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,366 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Need Help From Experienced Webmasters - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Need Help From Experienced Webmasters (619 Views)

Please Help Out! Advice From Experienced Web Designers Needed / Atlantic.net Review From Experienced Webmasters / Advice From Experienced Nigerian Webmasters Is Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by miracle4(m): 11:07pm On Jun 08, 2013
My neighbor called me one morning and inquired about getting her business online without having a website [ when people searches for her company name they should be able to find it]. The only solution I could think about was sponsored post, fan pages, post on a forum or linkedin.com business page. but when she gave me the details of what she wanted published I understood that it isn't gonna be possible and too it won't be beneficial to her since she want companies to take her business seriously.

I recommended an e-commerce site for her, but she wasn't interested in spending a kobo more than 5k, I even suggested a 5 page simple website but she insisted on me creating a sub-page in my own website bearing her details, logo and business info. After much heated talk [lecture] she agreed on having a single page on the sub-domain of my site for just her business details for 8k.

After creating the page I advised her to purchase a domain name for 2k (which I used as an add-on domain) which she subscribed to totaling her expenses to 10k.

When I published the site she was a kinda happy and appreciative but that didn't last for so long as she came back after two weeks complaining of a contact page and the ability for visitors to click on the homepage contents to open another stuff etc........ Considering the fact she is my neighbor I decided to create a contact page for her with little add-ons for 5k totaling every thing to 15k.

Now after everything a single page with my logo and business details has turned to a website with a working contact form for only 15k. I told her to purchase any hosting plan of her choice from anywhere so as to enable me move the site there she became annoyed and was like about to rain abuses on me ..... Now I'm thinking of taking the site offline to save my limited server resources ....... Webmasters what do you advice ?
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by spikesC(m): 12:49am On Jun 09, 2013
Well, wat is worth doing is worth doing well. That site won't have up to 10 hits every week. If you have an unlimited addon domain hosting package, just drop it there for her.

Even if not, use a subdomain and do a blind redirect of her domain to it.

The fault is still all yours, if u wanna do business, mean business.
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by Nobody: 1:06am On Jun 09, 2013
You could have just created a Facebook page for her. cool
Not a bad effort for that budget though.
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by spikesC(m): 1:18am On Jun 09, 2013
Brand_new: You could have just created a Facebook page for her. cool

miracle4: The only solution I could think about was sponsored post, fan pages, post on a forum or linkedin.com business page. but when she gave me the details of what she wanted published I understood that it isn't gonna be possible and too it won't be beneficial to her since she want companies to take her business seriously.

cool
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by miracle4(m): 1:24am On Jun 09, 2013
Brand_new: You could have just created a Facebook page for her. cool
I thought about it first, believe me it didn't suffice what she actually wanted
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by nihinlade(m): 11:29am On Jun 09, 2013
From experience, things like this are inevitable when you are dealing with someone as close as a neighbor who doesn't have the money to spend.

My advice is simple. Get a free web hosting from some of these free hosting websites and point the domain to the free hosting's DNS.

But mind you let her know that you are giving her a free hosting or tell her she does not have a hosting of her own you are just putting her on one of your customer's hosting. Because she may later request for her domain and hosting details claiming that she has got someone who will be handling it for her and quarrel will start when she discovered you have used a free hosting; in her own eyes she has paid you enough for a full website and hosting, I am talking from experience.
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by bionts(m): 2:04pm On Jun 09, 2013
well,she's still your client even thou she happens to be a neighbour.......things like this happen every now and then but you can still try to reduce it.it's just a bit difficult to look into the eye of someone in your neighbourhood and mean real business.....lol.
If it's just a hosting problem,i can help you with that,i run a free web host with a one time set up fee,but i can always exempt you from that.
The real problem is not even the hosting as far as im concern,the main problem is that her requirement will continue to expand and the fact that you collected something small from her initially makes her your client.....
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by switchmax8: 10:15am On Jun 10, 2013
take the blame as the other contributor said business is business.just leave it at that and lets the website be hussle for jobs and let the website be.Do you know that she might take it up serious while you thought you render help
Re: Need Help From Experienced Webmasters by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 10, 2013
miracle4: My neighbor called me one morning and inquired about getting her business online without having a website [ when people searches for her company name they should be able to find it]. The only solution I could think about was sponsored post, fan pages, post on a forum or linkedin.com business page. but when she gave me the details of what she wanted published I understood that it isn't gonna be possible and too it won't be beneficial to her since she want companies to take her business seriously.

I recommended an e-commerce site for her, but she wasn't interested in spending a kobo more than 5k, I even suggested a 5 page simple website but she insisted on me creating a sub-page in my own website bearing her details, logo and business info. After much heated talk [lecture] she agreed on having a single page on the sub-domain of my site for just her business details for 8k.

After creating the page I advised her to purchase a domain name for 2k (which I used as an add-on domain) which she subscribed to totaling her expenses to 10k.

When I published the site she was a kinda happy and appreciative but that didn't last for so long as she came back after two weeks complaining of a contact page and the ability for visitors to click on the homepage contents to open another stuff etc........ Considering the fact she is my neighbor I decided to create a contact page for her with little add-ons for 5k totaling every thing to 15k.

Now after everything a single page with my logo and business details has turned to a website with a working contact form for only 15k. I told her to purchase any hosting plan of her choice from anywhere so as to enable me move the site there she became annoyed and was like about to rain abuses on me ..... Now I'm thinking of taking the site offline to save my limited server resources ....... Webmasters what do you advice ?

the url of the website is here

grin grin grin

go get a business plan bro. even if any of my family ask me to do a website for them i will give them my plan

Plan A 5pages = 25k, Plan B 15pages = 50k e.t.c

don't do padi-padi business again. it does not pay in the long run.

take the blame as other poster has said and find a free web hosting and put the website,

(1) (Reply)

Shownairaland: Honest Reviews Needed / Www.smsresellernigeria.com / I Present 2 of My Websites for reviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.