Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,891 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:05 AM

Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! (1372 Views)

Dubai Hotel Management Apologises After Staff Refuses To Serve A Nigerian Woman / Nigerian Woman Prevented From Boarding A Plane In Ghana (photo) / White British Man Married To Nigerian Woman: Looking To Live In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by bigfather(m): 7:27am On May 05, 2008
Na by force to travel ? undecided

EGYPTIAN police on Sunday shot and wounded a Nigerian woman as she tried to cross the border illegally into Israel, a security official has said.

“Police asked the woman to stop but she ignored calls and continued to head towards Israel forcing police to fire shots,” the official said.

The 24-year-old woman was taken to El-Arish Hospital in North Sinai, where her condition was said to be critical, the official added.

In recent months, Egypt has arrested dozens of illegal immigrants, mostly Africans, trying to sneak into Israel from the Sinai in search of work. Several have been killed while trying to cross the frontier.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by Seun(m): 8:40am On May 05, 2008
She must have asked God to grant her a "safe journey" into the promised land.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by nkc(m): 8:40am On May 05, 2008
they want freedom tongue
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by Seun(m): 8:52am On May 05, 2008
What kind of freedom are they going to get in a perennial war zone? Freedom to die?
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by landis(m): 9:03am On May 05, 2008
still so much ignorance.

people were shot from crossing east germany to west during the old days.

many middle-east places have phobia for blacks and they also know your home country will ask no question.

you easily become a victim of your ignorance
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by 4Play(m): 9:10am On May 05, 2008
Seun:

What kind of freedom are they going to get in a perennial war zone? Freedom to die?

You are more likely to be killed in the state of Washington(US) than in Israel,so don't let TV footages blur your reality of the relative safety of Israel.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by vikiviko(m): 1:03pm On May 05, 2008
The manner at which Nigerians are humiliated and harrassed calls for concern.

When did Nigerains start travelling to cairo to cross border to israel, its a sad story.

We will one day cross the Nile.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by Cadet(f): 2:00pm On May 05, 2008
See how Nigerians are making up their reputations around the world. haba!!

Illegal immigrants and Scammers?  angry

Siena:

I think it was wrong to open fire, just because she was crossing the border illegally.
I agree with you, even though she did get in, they would likely catch her anyways because I dnt think she'll be able to go out and get a job.

The gun shot is not even necessary, period! She's walking on foot, they have cars and copters and other fast mobile, they would have caught up to her any moment, so the reason for that gun shot is really unnecessary
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by uspry1(f): 2:23pm On May 05, 2008
It is everywhere in other countries (US, Canada, South America, Israel, China/Korea/Japan, Asia) where there is roadblocked to check every foreigner coming to or out of the border for over 2,000 years.

In the US, our US border security agent do shooting someone who cross the border illegally in MEXICO entering the US state in the name of self-defensive. Because someone is armed and drug dealer to smuggle illegal drugs crossing the border.

I agreed with @siena about opening fire, but actually offenders(illegal immigrants) ignored the warning by the border security agent/checkborder police. What they (border agents/police) can do about it?
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by Seun(m): 2:37pm On May 05, 2008
Yes, they were wrong to shoot her. But this is Africa. We can't expect our security forces to do the 'right' thing, can we? We need to play safe.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by VOR(m): 2:51pm On May 05, 2008
When are we going to send a petition to the Egyptian govt about this wicked and
dastardly act? I suspect the hand of evil racists we as Nigerians must stand up and be
counted, violence against one Nigerian is violence against all of us.
Our govt must get involved, if necessary we should recall our ambassador, stop trade
with Egypt and hit them where it hurts, in their pockets.

Now where have I heard these arguments before? wink
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by pahtahkee: 3:10pm On May 05, 2008
How sad. . . . . embarassed Some women are quite daring though. undecided

I do not think of myself to undergo such a dire desperation just for what?

VOR:

When are we going to send a petition to the Egyptian govt about this wicked and
dastardly act? I suspect the hand of evil racists we as Nigerians must stand up and be
counted, violence against one Nigerian is violence against all of us.
Our govt must get involved, if necessary we should recall our ambassador, stop trade
with Egypt and hit them where it hurts, in their pockets.

Now where have I heard these arguments before? wink
I understand your sarcasm oh grin

But would it be logical to deduce as well that for every Mexicans crossing to the Amercan illegally who gets killed in the process, the Mexican Government calls for Stop Trade Agreement with Americans?
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by pahtahkee: 3:14pm On May 05, 2008
There is no source/weblink to this story as well. . . . . grin
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by nkc(m): 5:43pm On May 05, 2008
@seun

u know d funny thing, the woman had a feeling tat maybe dey wont shoot her, and since she is a nigerian(stubborn etc) like most of us, she went ahead, i know she knew all d risks but still wanted to try her luck, thats why i said freedom, cos if she did make it, she would have been free from whatever pursuing her out of egypt.

but am not happy at d situation, but wat can i do? undecided
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by dnative(m): 6:12pm On May 05, 2008
pahtahkee:

There is no source/weblink to this story as well. . . . . grin

I wonder. For all we care, it might as well be a young haitian woman shot by the police while trying to cross the border from owode to benin. tongue

@Siena - one of the rules clearly states:

4) Any travel information that MAY be useful to our members should have clear links to the original source, unless it is your OWN contribution, which must be verifiable.

or does this not apply.  grin
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by EloSela(f): 6:56pm On May 05, 2008
A simple search in google would have brought up more information for those who wanted to verify the story. . .

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200805054134346

http://www.tribune.com.ng/05052008/news/news15.html
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by dnative(m): 7:05pm On May 05, 2008
Haba Siena - I don't suppose you are taking it this strong. I am simply saying the story has no quoted source and in your rules for the travel section, you said a post must have a clear link to the source. If you have taken action in this regards it would have suffice to say action has been taken for anyone that cares to ask. Tell me I'm wrong in pointing this out and I'll accept that.

I know the source can be easily be gotten from google but isn't the whole essence to get posters to include the source of their posts. I didn't make the rules - only pointing them out.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by pahtahkee: 7:15pm On May 05, 2008
EloSela:

A simple search in google would have brought up more information for those who wanted to verify the story. . .

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200805054134346

http://www.tribune.com.ng/05052008/news/news15.html
Thank you Madam Simple Search in on google. grin

@ Siena,
It was all in the light of sarcasm as duly initiated by VOR. I do not think dnative has any other motives aside that. Trust you are doing well.

@ dnative,
You mean we have a porous border as well? Hope it is not dane gun or shakabula our officers are going to use. tongue
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by dnative(m): 7:24pm On May 05, 2008
pahtahkee:

@ dnative,
You mean we have a porous border as well? Hope it is not dane gun or shakabula our officers are going to use. tongue

LOL

@Siena - You have a point after all, maybe I should have used the 'Report to moderator' button instead. Lessons learnt. No one's perfect.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by 4Him1(m): 7:29pm On May 05, 2008
if she had been shot by IDF officers this thread would have been crawling with "concerned" Nigerians.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by pahtahkee: 7:58pm On May 05, 2008
Guessed as much. Hope it does not stay this way throughout the week. Stay cheerful no matter what. smiley
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by tpia: 9:21pm On May 05, 2008
@ topic: I dont know what this woman was thinking trying to dare Arabs.

Is she totally out of touch with current news and the middle eastern conflicts?

If they have no problem shooting down fellow middle easterners, why would they make her an exception?

Am sure she knows better now. That's a lesson learned by fire.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by Bossman(m): 12:39am On May 06, 2008
This is very wrong. As long as she was not a threat to the police officers, she should not have been shot with real bullets. That's why there are rubber bullets, stun guns, etc. The goal is to stop her from crossing the border, and they are more appropriate ways to achieve that.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by PapaBrowne(m): 1:23am On May 06, 2008
Too bad! That zone is war-torn
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by mamaput(f): 11:13am On May 06, 2008
a country that has a high rate of suicide bombers.
when they say stop , you freeze.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by vikiviko(m): 12:05pm On May 06, 2008
When i hear Nigerians being attacked or deported back home , i wonder if foreign nationals are deported or harrased here.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by vikiviko(m): 12:11pm On May 06, 2008
When  i hear Nigerians being attacked or deported back home , i wonder if foreign nationals are deported or harrased here.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by bigfather(m): 3:08pm On May 06, 2008
Do the immigrations ever deport ?
vikiviko:

When i hear Nigerians being attacked or deported back home , i wonder if foreign nationals are deported or harrased here.
Re: Egyptian Police Shoot Nigerian Woman ! by Seun(m): 9:04am On May 12, 2008
When i hear Nigerians being attacked or deported back home , i wonder if foreign nationals are deported or harassed here.
Why should they be harassed deported when they entered into the country legally?

Good Hotels In Ibadan,nigeria / Planning To Visit Lagos From London For One Week / I Rather Travel By Train Than "OKIN MOTORS" Ilorin

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59