Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,837 members, 7,802,680 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:42 PM

Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme (5396 Views)

Lam-adesina's Son Begins Omo Oloore Women Support Scheme (photos) / WIKE Flags Off Operation Zero Potholes With Julius Berger In Port Harcourt. / Nigerian Armed Forces Display Boko Haram Flags Captured During Battle With Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by obinalihe: 4:41pm On Jun 09, 2013
Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme

In line with the federal government cocoa transformation agenda, Abia state government has flagged off growth enhancement support on cocoa at Ikwuano Local Government Area Council Headquarters.

The flag off exercise which also involve distribution of Ultimax Plus agriculture fungicides to registered cocoa farmers is to enhance development in cocoa sub sector through the adoption and usage of new cocoa varieties and better farm management practices.

Governor Theodore Orji said the move would create wealth and boost the economy as well as drive the development needed in the cocoa sub sector.

He therefore, called on cocoa farmers to embrace this opportunity for effective utilization of inputs and urged all unregistered farmers to visit the collation centers located at Ikwuano LGA, Bende LGA, and Umuahia North LGA.

Due to several factors that include low yield inconsistent production pattern, aging cocoa farmers, disease incidence, pest attack and neglect on the agriculture sector because of the discovery of petroleum resources

The goals of improved cocoa transformation agenda are to enhance the livelihood about 100,000 farmers by increasing the cocoa yield per hectare as well create employment opportunity by doubling production and increasing processing capacity

Meanwhile about 6,000 hybrid cocoa pod are in Nursery production in Lordu Umuahia to be distributed later to the farmers during the roll out.source :http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/09/abia-flags-off-cocoa-growth-enhancement-support-scheme/

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by ogb5(m): 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2013
Cocoa in acid soils of
abia? Why not concentrate on things you have better comparative advantage in? Cocoa does well in the basic soil in the west or in the cross river basin. Not in the acidic soils in abia or rivers state.

They should concentrate on oil palm that the eastern soils can support very well.
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by vanunu: 6:06pm On Jun 09, 2013
You don't know what you are talking.
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 9:09pm On Jun 09, 2013
ogb5: Cocoa in acid soils of
abia? Why not concentrate on things you have better comparative advantage in? Cocoa does well in the basic soil in the west or in the cross river basin. Not in the acidic soils in abia or rivers state.

They should concentrate on oil palm that the eastern soils can support very well.

You are not making any sense. I would not comment on what I do not know, if I were you.
Abia is one of the high cocoa producers in Nigeria. Cocoa has always been an agric produce in Ikwuano, Bende and parts of Umuahia. My g/father and many of his peers had large cocoa farms.

5 Likes

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 9:14pm On Jun 09, 2013
Fourteen of Nigeria’s 36 states grow cocoa: Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Delta, Edo, Ekiti, Kogi, Kwara, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo and Taraba

http://www.corporate-nigeria.com/index/agriculture/cocoa-growing.html
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 9:20pm On Jun 09, 2013

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 9:22pm On Jun 09, 2013
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by mensdept: 9:22pm On Jun 09, 2013
The governor has recognized the big influence that Nairaland has on Nigerians. This is why, despite being a no call no show "governor" for the last 6 years, he has hired his local boys to come on Nairaland to post that he's doing this and that.

Have you guys noticed?

Too bad because it's all a bunch of B.S. and won't do him any good.

He remains an incompetent Warrant Chief and is currently in running for the worse governor in the history of Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 9:26pm On Jun 09, 2013
mens dept: The governor has recognized the big influence that Nairaland has on Nigerians. This is why, despite being a no call no show "governor" for the last 6 years, he has hired his local boys to come on Nairaland to post that he's doing this and that.

Have you guys noticed?

Too bad because it's all a bunch of B.S. and won't do him any good.

He remains an incompetent Warrant Chief and is currently in running for the worse governor in the history of Nigeria.

We are talking about cocoa production in Abia which has been a practice long b4 Orji was born, let alone becaming a governor. Can you separate that from your local politics?
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by mensdept: 12:04am On Jun 10, 2013
SouthEast:

We are talking about cocoa production in Abia which has been a practice long b4 Orji was born, let alone becaming a governor. Can you separate that from your local politics?

Mr Man, if you are talking about Fashola or Chime cocoa scheme then of course we can debate specifically that.

Your Oga at the Top in ABia state is already misleading you guys and has diverted your conversation to now what?

He is incompetent and is using all of these cocoa transformation, health transformation write ups as publicity.

So lets keep it real and not complacently begin to debate this nonsense from a nonsense administration.

2 Likes

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 12:13am On Jun 10, 2013
mens dept:

Mr Man, if you are talking about Fashola or Chime cocoa scheme then of course we can debate specifically that.

Your Oga at the Top in ABia state is already misleading you guys and has diverted your conversation to now what?

He is incompetent and is using all of these cocoa transformation, health transformation write ups as publicity.

So lets keep it real and not complacently begin to debate this nonsense from a nonsense administration.

I do not know what your argument is. I was responding to someone who seemed to claim that Abia does not produce cocoa. Orji is gov of Abia today, but he will not be there for too long. Let's not deny what has been a practice since Adam just because Orji is involved. He is not the cocoa farmer. Got it? And who says Orji is competent, me??

1 Like

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by mensdept: 12:20am On Jun 10, 2013
SouthEast:

I do not know what your argument is. I was responding to someone who seemed to claim that Abia does not produce cocoa. Orji is gov of Abia today, but he will not be there for too long. Let's not deny what has been a practice since Adam just because Orji is involved. He is not the cocoa farmer. Got it? And who says Orji is competent, me??

Even though i directly quoted you as I'm doing now, my response was indirectly for others who would have come to this thread and used it to promote the Warrant chief sitting in Umuahia.

Of course you are right 100% about the cocoa situation, but you cannot separate the political element/management of economics.

2 Likes

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by ikweremilitant: 9:00am On Jun 10, 2013
ogb5: Cocoa in acid soils of

there u go agan.wen they ask u guys to travel u guys won't.don't u no that the largest single cocoa farmer is in bende lga of abia state.and they have cocoa viability in ikwuano lga.so wat makes u tink abias soil is acidic for cocoa did u conduct d test urself or ure one of those that develope runing stomach or migrain headche when ever u here anytn good from ibos.

1 Like

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by ikweremilitant: 9:04am On Jun 10, 2013

1 Like

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by obinalihe: 1:43pm On Jun 10, 2013
@ mendept,your an idiots,you are only paid to malign the state government but i tell you ,you are a failed empty vessel ,you can not make any good sound...Abia has got off to a glorious start and we are happy about it,so all you are doing is a waste of time...look for a better job to do...

1 Like

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by ocular007(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2013
The administration of T.A has brought smiles in the face of many Abians and am we are so proud of what we are seeing ,his performances are not discouraging ,T.A has been up and running with projects,legacy projects that will speak for him over time,so we are greatly privileged to have got him...Orji Uzor Kalu was on the same seat for 8 years without achieving any thing concrete...so you guys should shut up.....
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by censure4truth: 1:57pm On Jun 10, 2013
useless people will come here and start mouthing dirtily like pigs on rotten food....i mean what has T.A done wrong/ did you guys forgot that OUK was in Abia state for almost ten years,all he did was loot and loot and use his touts like you guys are to mess Abia state up and embezzle all the money meant to be used in developing the state.....so disclaimers and foolish critics,what have you got to talk about OUK of Igbere,the thief we all know,since you guys want to talk about under performing governor,and forgot that the under-performing governor we should always have on our tongue is OUK the rogue
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by censure4truth: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2013
T.A is the best...weda una like am or not..

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by ogb5(m): 11:16pm On Jun 10, 2013
SouthEast:

You are not making any sense. I would not comment on what I do not know, if I were you.
Abia is one of the high cocoa producers in Nigeria. Cocoa has always been an agric produce in Ikwuano, Bende and parts of Umuahia. My g/father and many of his peers had large cocoa farms.
the key word is comparative advantage. Most states can grow all types of crops grown in Nigeria, but some crops does better in some areas than others.

Groundnut can be grown in all states of the country, how many groundnut pyramids did you see in port Harcourt or calabar?

Oil palm can grow in most south and middle belt states but oilpalm was associated with the eastern region because the eastern acidic soils is better for it.

I grew up seeing cocoa farms in my village in the Niger delta, but will not go out today to develop a cocoa farm there, going to the west for that same farm will give me higher yields per hectare for the same effort.

when you say high cocoa produce, you need to compared it to other states in terms of yield per hectare before you can conclude that it is high
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by madamoringo(f): 4:39am On Jun 11, 2013
Cocoa belongs to the SW Yorubas and their kins, why don't ibos go back to their palm oil and palm trees? Why are they ashamed or afraid of it? This is the trade and crop of your grand fathers for goodness sake! Why angry angry

Is it because of the offemmanu bull shaite the small ones are always shouting around that is causing the disaffection to palm oil??
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 5:31am On Jun 11, 2013
ogb5:
the key word is comparative advantage. Most states can grow all types of crops grown in Nigeria, but some crops does better in some areas than others.

Groundnut can be grown in all states of the country, how many groundnut pyramids did you see in port Harcourt or calabar?

Oil palm can grow in most south and middle belt states but oilpalm was associated with the eastern region because the eastern acidic soils is better for it.

I grew up seeing cocoa farms in my village in the Niger delta, but will not go out today to develop a cocoa farm there, going to the west for that same farm will give me higher yields per hectare for the same effort.

when you say high cocoa produce, you need to compared it to other states in terms of yield per hectare before you can conclude that it is high

Just in case you are blind. There are 36 States in Nigeria and only 14 are known to produce cocoa commercially. Abia has always been one of them, even before your grandpa was born.

Fourteen of Nigeria’s 36 states grow cocoa: Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Delta, Edo, Ekiti, Kogi, Kwara, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo and Taraba

http://www.corporate-nigeria.com/index/agriculture/cocoa-growing.html
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by OneNaira6: 6:02am On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo: Cocoa belongs to the SW Yorubas and their kins, why don't ibos go back to their palm oil and palm trees? Why are they ashamed or afraid of it? This is the trade and crop of your grand fathers for goodness sake! Why angry angry

Is it because of the offemmanu bull shaite the small ones are always shouting around that is causing the disaffection to palm oil??

not once have you made a comment without mentioning igbo, igbo, igbo. na wa ooo see stalking. nwanyi/nwoke, noone is paying mind to you. stop going around calling tribes name especially one wey no see you. Get a life ooo, na stalking bu dis.

btw as for Yoruba own cocoa. see your stupd1ty. oya na una wey create cocoa. The ones found all over the world, na una make am. the ones in abia, na una plant am. see claiming. ROFLMFAO

1 Like

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by OneNaira6: 6:03am On Jun 11, 2013
censure4truth: T.A is the best...weda una like am or not..

you and I know that is a lie
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 6:44am On Jun 11, 2013
ogb5:

You keep harping on ''acidic'' soil as if the world ends there. What is the pH of soils in the SE? Are all soils in all of the SE of similar pH? Can you explain what an acid soil implies for crop production and crop nutrition? Do you know the environmental and human health advantages of having an acidic soil relative to an alkaline soil?
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by censure4truth: 7:28am On Jun 11, 2013
fools are here saying cocoa belongs to south and west...how is that truth/ Cocoa can be grown any where it depends on interest and Abia state have started growing cocoa long time ago and we are on course to making it a large export crop...Abia is doing great in other areas of interest,all you ofemana should shut your mouths up and talk of what happens in ur places....Abia is on course for greatness
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by patrikobi: 7:32am On Jun 11, 2013
@censre4truth,do you still have time for Madam Bingo and devil's dept who are paid to talk rubbish here,are they the ones to tell us what is happening in Abia state....Abia state the most peaceful state in Nigeria,all thing is under control...God bless Abia state....T.A will wow many at the end of the day,he started off on a good note this second tenure and we are proud of his progress so far...long live abia state
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by EkoAtlantic: 7:40am On Jun 11, 2013
Like a poster stated earlier, various cash crops can be grown in any region/state but are better grown in few regions. Oil palm is well grown in Ondo(ile-oluji) and even in large scale, but that doesn't mean it's the best place to grow oil palm when the east that has the best soil for oil palm cultivation is there.

Cote d' voir has a better soil for cocoa cultivation and better cocoa produce than western Nigeria, yet the western Nigeria was once leading in cocoa production at a global stage. There is no reason why Abia government shouldn't invest in cocoa production even if the state is not the best place to grow it. As far as the government is ready to invest whatever it takes to make the state a real cocoa producer, it's a free world.

5 Likes

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by SouthEast: 7:57am On Jun 11, 2013
[quote author=madam_oringo]
Cocoa belongs to the SW Yorubas
You are an unrepentant nincompoop
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by iykak47: 7:58am On Jun 11, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Like a poster stated earlier, various cash crops can be grown in any region/state but are better grown in few regions. Oil palm is well grown in Ondo(ile-oluji) and even in large scale, but that doesn't mean it's the best place to grow oil palm when the east that has the best soil for oil palm cultivation is there.

Cote d' voir has a better soil for cocoa cultivation and better cocoa produce than western Nigeria, yet the western Nigeria was once leading in cocoa production at a global stage. There is no reason why Abia government shouldn't invest in cocoa production even if the state is not the best place to grow it. As far as the government is ready to invest whatever it takes to make the state a real cocoa producer, it's a free world.
shockedshockedshockedshocked

1 Like

Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by gidson12(m): 9:26am On Jun 11, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Like a poster stated earlier, various cash crops can be grown in any region/state but are better grown in few regions. Oil palm is well grown in Ondo(ile-oluji) and even in large scale, but that doesn't mean it's the best place to grow oil palm when the east that has the best soil for oil palm cultivation is there.

I think someone just hacked eko Atlantic's account.....
Re: Abia Flags Off Cocoa Growth Enhancement Support Scheme by omonnakoda: 9:32am On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo: Cocoa belongs to the SW Yorubas and their kins, why don't ibos go back to their palm oil and palm trees? Why are they ashamed or afraid of it? This is the trade and crop of your grand fathers for goodness sake! Why angry angry

Cocoa is not even indigenous to Africa it was brought in by The British probably from Brazil. Whether or not it can do well in Abia or any where else can only be shown by experimental evidence.I am not aware of any evidence to back the claim that SE soil is acidic or basic and SW the opposite,that is rubbish also I do not believe that is relevant to cocoa anyway
As far as comparative advantage is concerned that is for each farmer to decide what is in their interest. The real issue with cocoa is this; Chocolate and related products are a billion dollar industry world wide.We need to do two things
1) We need to start making chocolate etc and stop selling cocoa
2) We need to start consumimg more cocoa
cocoa powder is about 20% protein(varies) a little more than BEANS !! and is one of the MOST nutritional foods in the world.It contains antioxidants which fight cancer and also boosts MANHOODs
I am talking of cocoa powder which is quite BITTER not the sweetened cocoa drinks. Sadly you will not find this in any Nigerian market because the product is not well marketed and our people do not know the benefits.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I’m Opposed To Fuel Subsidy Removal – Buhari / Eastern Minorities: Biafra Map To Be Redrawn / We Are Working With The Us Government On Repatriation Of Corruption Proceeds- VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.