Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,508 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:50 PM

American Women That Marry Nigerian Men - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (222174 Views)

Are African Women Jealous Of African American Women's "Natural" Lighter Skin? / Why Do African Women Dislike African American Women? / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blatant: 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2008
Heavensnt:

I am an african american woman and the decendant of slaves as well so we all are not too different from eachother other than accent and geographic location because in the united states there is poverty, sickness, crime, struggle, racism, and discrimination as well.

Time will tell
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Dreloaded(f): 6:01pm On Mar 28, 2008
Re: Topic

Dont know why they bother
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2008
Most don't grow out of the fantasy of "prince charming"
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Heavensnt(f): 8:00pm On Mar 28, 2008
stillwater:

Most don't grow out of the fantasy of "prince charming"

Stillwater, I don't agree or disagree with this statement because it is true for some people. However some just want a change and it is okay to try something new, for that is called "stepping outside the box". As I mentioned before, the united states is full of cheating men, deadbeat fathers, abusers, scammers, killers, and list goes on so this is way bigger than just Nigerian men. I think that dating any man is a risk because you will never know the outcome unless you get into the situation. Men are men, period, no matter the geographic location. Some are good and some are bad. But I don't think that american women should run and hide themselves from all nigerian men. Lagos has a population of over 9 million so people can't make blanket statements as far as the men are concerned. And you have to admit, the sterotypes have gotten out of hand. There are stories of nigerian men scamming american women, so instead of placing the blame on the individual, we make all nigerian men pay for the crime? Some middle easterners have been responsible for terrorist attacks, and now people are shaking in their boots everytime they see a middle easterner and don't even want to sit by them on airplanes. Or if two black teenage boys were on the news for robbing a store, there are those people who lock their car doors and clutch their purses everytime they see a teenage black boy. This is not right my people. Everyone is an individual and all grapes do not come from the same grapevine. And in some cases they say the apple is not far from the tree, however, all apples don't come from the same tree.

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 28, 2008
Yeah yeah but you still has to apply wisdom and be watchful as well before you get your heart heart broken for nothing. But make sure you don't go on Oprah and bastardize our name again, peace smiley
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by girl22(f): 8:49pm On Mar 28, 2008
@my2cents. Didn;t you read when she said she doesn't believe this? That she has heard this from others? That she wanted others people.

Another blatant and ignorant example of stereotypism. I could likewise say that since, when I turn on the TV in the US, most of the news involves one american (mostly black) killing someone, that every american person walks around with a gun with the intent to kill
[sup][/sup]

Oh and by the way most murders are caused by caucasion males.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Heavensnt(f): 9:54pm On Mar 28, 2008
smileyWell I have never been on Oprah and I have never bastardized the names of nigerian men. I myself have had my fair share of sterotypical comments made to me being a black female in society so black people in general get labeled on a daily basis. We all get called the N-word, lazy, welfare, fried chicken and watermelon eaters. But it is up to us to rise above the ignorance. People are even making sterotypical comments about their own kind which is sad. If I get my heart broken by a man I don't say that my heart was broken by a nigerian, a mexican, or whatever nationality he is. I simply say my heart was broken by a man. As I mentioned before, alot of people fail to place the blame on the individual and try to make the whole race pay for the sins of the guilty. What about the Nigerian men who come over here and become successful doctors, lawyers, faithful loving husbands, and devoted family men and don't get any credit for that. I guess one bad apple spoils the bunch. shocked But I defintely am going to apply wisdom and cautiousness to my situation and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Peace and love!!!
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by almondjoy(f): 9:16am On Mar 31, 2008
Blatant:

I hear you

Blatant:

Foreign women never learn.
Later they will have very bad things to say about naija guys.

Make that women in general! kiss For all we know this guy could be from Seme or a refugee living in Nigeria, since a Nigerian passport is as easy as a used pure water sachet on Nigeria.

Blatant:

Time will tell

Abi! cheesy

Heavensnt:

smileyWell I have never been on Oprah and I have never bastardized the names of nigerian men. I myself have had my fair share of sterotypical comments made to me being a black female in society so black people in general get labeled on a daily basis. We all get called the N-word, lazy, welfare, fried chicken and watermelon eaters. But it is up to us to rise above the ignorance. People are even making sterotypical comments about their own kind which is sad. If I get my heart broken by a man I don't say that my heart was broken by a nigerian, a mexican, or whatever nationality he is.

I simply say my heart was broken by a man. As I mentioned before, alot of people fail to place the blame on the individual and try to make the whole race pay for the sins of the guilty. What about the Nigerian men who come over here and become successful doctors, lawyers, faithful loving husbands, and devoted family men and don't get any credit for that. I guess one bad apple spoils the bunch. shocked But I defintely am going to apply wisdom and cautiousness to my situation and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Peace and love!!!

Why did you not get one of those over there instead of one on "MySpace"? grin

Like we have all told you, goodluck! kiss
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Heavensnt(f): 5:42pm On Apr 03, 2008
I want to thank everyone who gave me advice about my situation. I decided to end things between my friend from Nigeria and I because he kept rushing marriage, a family life, and pressuring me to come to meet his parents in Nigeria so they can "meet the woman he's so MADLY in love with". Everyday he would say his parents were asking about me again and that they are anxious to meet me and they are growing impatient. He didn't seem to understand that I am not just going to drop everything and fly to Africa. I told him repeatedly that I have a job and responsibilities here and that I don't have the money or time to travel there right now. He didn't seem to respect that. I also realized that we were rushing into things and when I decided to take things slower, he changed and started acting differently. So that's when I knew that he wasn't for real. I now think that he is just desperate to get out of Nigeria. Thankfully I got out of the situation before I made any dumb decisions. I tried it, but it's not for me. I don't need the stress or the mess. tongue

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by almondjoy(f): 7:11pm On Apr 04, 2008
Heavensnt:

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice about my situation. I decided to end things between my friend from Nigeria and I because he kept rushing marriage, a family life, and pressuring me to come to meet his parents in Nigeria so they can "meet the woman he's so MADLY in love with".

Everyday he would say his parents were asking about me again and that they are anxious to meet me and they are growing impatient. He didn't seem to understand that I am not just going to drop everything and fly to Africa. I told him repeatedly that I have a job and responsibilities here and that I don't have the money or time to travel there right now. He didn't seem to respect that. I also realized that we were rushing into things and when I decided to take things slower, he changed and started acting differently. So that's when I knew that he wasn't for real. I now think that he is just desperate to get out of Nigeria. Thankfully I got out of the situation before I made any dumb decisions. I tried it, but it's not for me. I don't need the stress or the mess. tongue

Hmmmmmmmmm!  Most Nairaland YIM romances and "My Space" love affairs end like this.  Not to worry. . . .you will soon find another one smarter than this one to convince you to leave all you are doing and spend all your life savings in Nigeria to marry him. This one did not hit "the right spot" with you at all.  Better luck next time! grin
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blatant: 10:12am On Apr 07, 2008
almondjoy:

Hmmmmmmmmm! Most Nairaland YIM romances and "My Space" love affairs end like this. Not to worry. . . .you will soon find another one smarter than this one to convince you to leave all you are doing and spend all your life savings in Nigeria to marry him. This one did not hit "the right spot" with you at all. Better luck next time! grin

he he he. They always end up in the same situations over and over again.

The guy was unlucky this time becos he did not succeed in getting her to move to nigeria to get married. The next guy may be luckier tongue
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by bigp(m): 2:57am On Apr 20, 2008
@ Heavensnt and all American lady
be careful about Nigerian men based in NIGERIA, this is my country and i know my people we can be desperate and bad. but also you never know, he might really love you, but be carefull my dear.

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by deeplylove: 5:55am On Apr 21, 2008
Heavensnt
This is to u, you said wonderful things about the man in the beginning and u knew he was the one, now you have broken things off only you know best. But I want to tell u my Nigerian man rush me to see him and I almost lost him because I thought he to was trying to scam me for papers or whatever he could get. I’m fortune I met a wonderful man myself. And I know I’m deeply love by him. He presented me to his family and they knew I was loved much by him I see him now every two to three months and he sends for me wherever he is . I will be leaving soon again this time I’m going to start planning mywedding to him there. Because my family will be traveling over there it’s easy for them to get passport then it is for all of them of course. what I’m saying only once again know best don’t loose because we think too much and our minds play tricks on us.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Uche2nna(m): 6:01am On Apr 21, 2008
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla , and more yadi yada yada.

Nigerian men this , Nigerian men that. Abeg save us the wahala. If u guys dont trust them, then dont have anything to do with them in the first place. But that seems like an impossible task , especially for the white women. Me thinks Nigerian men must have sumnin that really makes them irrestitible.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 4Him1(m): 6:02am On Apr 21, 2008
Uche2nna:

Nigerian men this , Nigerian men that. Abeg save us the wahala. If u guys don't trust them, then don't have anything to do with them in the first place. But that seems like an impossible task , especially for the white women. Me thinks Nigerian men must have sumnin that really makes them irrestitible.

i wonder. Its not like we're tying them to our legs . . .
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by wendymanda: 6:15am On Apr 21, 2008
I kept looking for Davidyland (sp) but I guess he had a name switch. Nairaland is no fun without you and Nwando that warrior princess. So 4HIM is the Lion right?
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by almondjoy(f): 2:26pm On Apr 22, 2008
he he he he he he he cheesy

Water don pass garri oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! grin
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by almondjoy(f): 2:27pm On Apr 22, 2008
Uche2nna:

Nigerian men this , Nigerian men that. Abeg save us the wahala. If u guys don't trust them, then don't have anything to do with them in the first place. But that seems like an impossible task , especially for the white women. Me thinks Nigerian men must have sumnin that really makes them irrestitible.

4 Him:

Best defence. cheesy
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by 4Play(m): 2:34pm On Apr 22, 2008
4 Him:

The most bizarre sight is seeing all these Nigerian girls based in the West complaining about Nigerian men.Understandable if a woman living in Nigeria complains because she has little alternatives.

You would think that the foreign based ones will simply grab the nearest Western man they can find and totally forget about the Nigerian men.

If they ever hear you are married to a non-Nigerian,they will be looking at you as if you are a "traitor",yet,they never stop complaining about us. grin

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by almondjoy(f): 2:38pm On Apr 22, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

You guys suck but we love you that way!

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by NJean(f): 5:45am On Apr 23, 2008
My boyfriend is from Nigeria living in the U.S. I'm interested in hearing from you on decision making. My boyfriend is the eldest male in his family. He is in the U.S. his extended family is in Nigeria. He does have his family here, American born. He is going through a rough spot and has some decisions he needs to make. What are Nigerian men like in situations like this? We are not engaged but are walking together toward this. In the past he has "asked" for my input on different subjects. This decision is a heavy one, dealing with a crazy ex-wife, and little to no discussion has occurred. Are Nigerian men solitary decision makers? His decision definitely affects me. He is the eldest male in his family, does that have an affect on his decision making process? My only experience has been American born men and they take a lot of verbal input from us, are Nigerian men significantly different??
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Nobody: 5:58am On Apr 23, 2008
Nigerian men, over to you!!!!!!!!
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by almondjoy(f): 1:38pm On Apr 23, 2008
NJean:

My boyfriend is from Nigeria living in the US. I'm interested in hearing from you on decision making. My boyfriend is the eldest male in his family. He is in the US. his extended family is in Nigeria. He does have his family here, American born. He is going through a rough spot and has some decisions he needs to make. What are Nigerian men like in situations like this? We are not engaged but are walking together toward this.

In the past he has "asked" for my input on different subjects. This decision is a heavy one, dealing with a crazy ex-wife, and little to no discussion has occurred. Are Nigerian men solitary decision makers? His decision definitely affects me. He is the eldest male in his family, does that have an affect on his decision making process? My only experience has been American born men and they take a lot of verbal input from us, are Nigerian men significantly different??

Let me guess.  He is Igbo! grin  A crazy ex-wife? How many children please? cheesy You don enter be that!  Just make sure you do not file any "joint income" tax with this dude. . . always check the single box. . . filing single oooooooooooooooooooooooooh! cheesy The IRS will keep garnishing your wages for child support payments that is why the "snaky" dude does not want to discuss the case of the "crazy ex-wife or baby moma"!  He is an American-born you say? That means the dude is an "Americanized akatarized Nigerian"! cheesy

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Don't expect to hear from the "Nigerian guys" on Nairaland since many of them are in the same boat here! cheesy

Yes oooooooooooooooooooooooooh!  Over to you "Nigerian Igbo dudes"!  Una get NIM ooooooooooooooooooh!

Nairaland Instant Male Mail!!!
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by NJean(f): 4:15pm On Apr 23, 2008
Hi Almondjoy

thanks for you comment, I think, lol. Actually I just wanted to know if they have the "head of the family" attitude that was present here a long time ago.

Just so you know he does have children and he has custodyof all of them. He cares for them, pays for the, totes them, meets all of their needs. She is the one that does not have custody, does not pay child support and does not do anything or them.

So, not all naija men are as you say, thank goodness!!

N
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Blatant: 1:48pm On Apr 28, 2008
This Njean, you sef get children? If so, una fit join una children together form football team lmao cheesy

Almondjoy, make you leave this woman o. She sef don fall in lust, erm sorry, love. Just like many others before her, she'll appear on some forum in future having things to say about her relationship.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by omoovie(f): 9:40pm On May 09, 2008
Everybody just dey lamblast d Naija guy! All y'all she's scoping 2 diff naija men at the same time and I think she said she collected money from him. R we sure she's not the one doing the 419 runs?? Hahahahahah! Please don't slay me, I'm just playing ekwensu advocate today.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Uche2nna(m): 9:49pm On May 09, 2008
NJean:

Hi Almondjoy

Actually I just wanted to know if they have the "head of the family" attitude that was present here a long time ago.
Just so you know he does have children and he has custodyof all of them. He cares for them, pays for the, totes them, meets all of their needs. She is the one that does not have cu ;Dstody, does not pay child support and does not do anything or them.

Of course, Men from where I come have a need to protect the family and that need sometimes translates as "being the head of the family". If he is a proper Igbo man  , then that is something You would have to come to terms with  grin

But seriously tho, You would know weather the man is going to be a control freak while dating him . And given the fact that your bobo is Americanised maybe he would not be as bad as us that are Onitshalised  grin My point is that it depends on the individual.

And hey if You have doubts , then You have a simple choice OF NOT MARRYING HIM. I think we have heard enough about Naija men this , Naija Men that  angry
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Superikebe: 9:22am On May 10, 2008
Nigerian men.
Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by BigSis(f): 9:48pm On May 22, 2008
Can anyone say "greed card."

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by tpia: 5:37am On May 23, 2008
e only remain make dem put Naija men inside laboratory for detailed study on the thing wey dey hypnotize women for them face. undecided

undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by arles35(f): 10:47am On Jun 06, 2008
Hello, I'm new to all of this. I'm here because i would like to say that I'm very much in love with my man. He is from Nigeria and I am from the states.We have been together for one year now, and everything seems to be going well.The problem i have is people believing that we are in love. He's 28 and well i am 41. We have had a relationship on-line for the last year.(we have not met in person) At first i thought it might be a scam, but was proved to be wrong. He has never asked me for anything but to love him. We have shared so many different feelings for each other, We plan on meeting in London in the few months for a vacation together.
I was just wondering if there were any other women here older than their husbands or boyfriends, and how did you get over the age conflict?
He always tells me that i upset him when i let the age come into our relationship, and assures me that age doesn't matter to him, that he loves me. I love him dearly.
We plan to marry but we are having difficulties because of the age difference. Immigrations is looking at it as if i am doing it just to bring him to the states. how do we prove that this is real?

Re: American Women That Marry Nigerian Men by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 06, 2008
CHINEEEKEEE!!!

na wa for oyibo o! do you believe all the nonsense he tells you?? even naija girls here are wary when it comes to intra-nigeria, long distance relationships.

oh lawdy! the guy is ready to wait and tell you all the right things for the next 3 yrs if that's what it takes to get a green card.

28 yrs old?? over here a 28 yr old guy is usually still in school, or working his first job. my bet is, you're just his ticket into america.

Good luck sha. happy drowning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here / Igbo learning thread + Translator / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.