Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,476 members, 7,808,726 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E (8748 Views)

All Nigerian Christian Counselors' Association Is Calling!!! / Adoption From Nigeria (PLEASE HELP!!!) / Need Marriage Counselling ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
Training ..... When you have nurtured and instilled good morals into them and one of them still go on her way to get pregnant or impregnate a girl ??

What do you call that? Failed parenting?? undecided
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 4:40pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12: Training ..... When you have nurtured and instilled good morals into them and one of them still go on her way to get pregnant or impregnate a girl ??

Lol . . . Probably, Training gone wrong
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 4:43pm On Jun 11, 2013
ok/// the good thing is we all have our ways of seeing things
Fair points though

bukatyne:

Because they did not do their job.

God said He will bless the work of our hands, faith without work is dead etc.

Imagine a farmer that refuses to plant corn in the soil crying and praying that 'God let my corn grow etc.'

That Farmer is the parents;
The soil is the child/his mind;
The corn is the teachings and training;
The God is God.

God did not give children to parents as a status symbol; He gave children to parents for training and helping them achieve what God created them to achieve. Just how God cannot rain Naira notes from the sky, He cannot teach babies Himself though He takes over in extreme cases.

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by tsmith(f): 4:58pm On Jun 11, 2013
There is no denial that pre-marital counselling and syncing is essential, but the issue here is, for those that didn't have this prior to their marriage or are in unhappy marriages, there is a gap for counselling.

See it like servicing a car or maintaining a bridge that connects 2 cities. No one buys a brand new car and thinks that's it, neither does one build a bridge or a house and think ce fini! With all good things that are meant to last, you need constant working to maintain standards. When you buy your car, its the owner's responsibility to fuel it, top up the oil etc, these you can do yourself at most self service garages, but there comes a time, be it after 20,000miles for new cars that you need the help of the experts. The garage does a check, resolve issues and you are good to go, most times as new. Likewise is marriage counselling, it's essential and should be left to the people that are well trained in it, because we don’t know it all and cant do it all.

Also, people on here are quoting high divorce rates in the westerner, what about we look at stats of Truly happy marriages between both worlds. Yes there is a high rate of divorce in the W.W, however I can vouch that there is a higher rate of happy unions and marriages too. I mean who wants to spend the best parts of their lives unhappy or with someone unhappy?

I really like the points raised re: years ago Make up artists, wedding planners not being prevalent a few years ago, but now are booming trades, I pray in the not too long future Marriage counselling, mental health therapy etc would be prevalent in Nigeria too, because to be sincere, our biggest problem in the country is all in the MINDSET!!!

There would be a time when:
a.) politicians and people in power would know there is no essence in stealing from a Nation you should be developing then running to other Nations for health care, good education for your kids. Charity begins at home, why not develop your country and have peace and all good things at your disposal.

b.) When the whole nation would wake up to the fact that they deserve and can have the best. And really fight off corruption. O-Y-O (on your own) mentality would get everyone now where fast. It's not sufficient to have a good job, drive a good car, afford the latest gadgets and holidays and turn a blind eye to the Have not's/

We need a mindset re-engineering as a Nation and people!

Rant over, back to work! grin grin

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 4:59pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12: Training ..... When you have nurtured and instilled good morals into them and one of them still go on her way to get pregnant or impregnate a girl ??

You have played your part.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

So after playing your part and the kids did not listen, who do you blame for the wrong doing of such child? I just wanna see the blame game to the end.

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

So after playing your part and the kids did not listen, who do you blame for the wrong doing of such child? I just wanna see the blame game to the end.
God knows its d child lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

So what bout the other part??

Or this:

Fhemmmy:

Btw I thought we are discussing Marriage counselling, why does every thread has to be derailed??

My daughter just synced a book in my iPad for 2 concert tickets angry
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:

Gbam!!!!
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 5:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

The child cheesy

Look at it like this:

Eli's children were irresponsible and God punished Eli
Samuel's children were irresponsible and God did not punish Samuel grin
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12:

So what bout the other part??

Or this:

bukatyne:

The child cheesy

Look at it like this:

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

The child cheesy
The bible even says dat any child dat is be corrected but refuses will be destroy without any controversy.
Its in d book of Psalms
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne: The child cheesy

Good, finally we are on same page . . . So when the parents do not do their part, the parents + The kids are to be blamed - Self training and self aspiration is a great tool, and when the parents did their part and yet the kid no listen, we blame the kid . . . Chikena, make i go eat lunch jare.

Was fun debating with adults without insults
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
[quote author=bukatyne][/quote]

Now it's the bible but when it's submission bibles tossed out the window?? What about human will ? , lets leave bible outta this.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:

Why the closed mouth na?

Even the children would know that they were trained and failed their parents.

The parents will be sad no doubt embarassed but no guilt
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

The child cheesy

Look at it like this:

Eli could have prevented it . . . Eli turn a deaf ear
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

The child cheesy

Look at it like this:

Dont forget the part of the bible dat says " i will have mercy unto whom i will have mercy"
Also David had mercy but was still punished.
Our God is unquestionable lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12:

Now it's the bible but when it's submission bibles tossed out the window?? What about human will , lets leave bible outta this??

na wa oh, you people no go let man go wack oh . . . cos this thread is really kool
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 5:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:
The bible even says dat any child dat is be corrected but refuses will be destroy without any controversy.
Its in d book of Psalms

Very true.

finally, we are on the same page wink
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:09pm On Jun 11, 2013
nikkykay:
Dont forget the part of the bible dat says " i will have mercy unto whom i will have mercy"
Also David had mercy but was still punished.
Our God is unquestionable lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

the unchanging Changer Himself . . .
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Why the closed mouth na?

Even the children would know that they were trained and failed their parents.

The parents will be sad no doubt embarassed but no guilt
Yes parents will be sad cos dat child is dre product embarassed
Asking where dey have got it all wrong
But dey will live to deal with it
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 5:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Eli could have prevented it . . . Eli turn a deaf ear

You are just getting to the Koko of the matter...

He did not train them. God gave Him several opportunities but He still did not listen
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12:

Now it's the bible but when it's submission bibles tossed out the window?? What about human will ? , lets leave bible outta this.
Lol cheesy
Its still d same thing dear
Bible talks abt training of the child but some children will throw d training away
Bible talks about submission but some women will throw ds away
All this just becos of exposure to advanced world me think
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
This is a very good thread. The society psyche believes it's the woman that makes or breaks her marriage, let's not lie. She's the homemaker, the nurturer, and we leave men out of the equation. This won't and can't work any more today. I think if we can change this attitude and have more hands-on men on deck half of the problems would be solved. Let's encourage people to think of their spouses as a partner, your better half, somebody you want to work along with to achieve a common goal. This is not even about who is the head or tail or who is submissive or not, Respect should be the watchword. Man respect your wife, woman respect your husband!
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

You are just getting to the Koko of the matter...

He did not train them. God gave Him several opportunities but He still did not listen

No, dont get me wrong, parents have a responsibility to train the kids and if they dont, they MIGHT suffer the consequences however, all i am saying that pointing fingers to the parents is of no use when the kid could pick up the pieces and just train himself to be on the right side of life . . . So we agree on that
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by bukatyne(f): 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
jidegirl12:

Who tossed the Bible out of the window during submission? I have been accused of always quoting the Bible madam

As for leaving the Bible out, it's our standard (if you are a Christian)

Human will... that's another kettle of fish. If my parents trained me and I want to refuse their teachings, I would know that they taught me but I refused.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Jun 11, 2013
bukatyne:

Who tossed the Bible out of the window during submission? I have been accused of always quoting the Bible madam

As for leaving the Bible out, it's our standard (if you are a Christian)

Human will... that's another kettle of fish. If my parents trained me and I want to refuse their teachings, I would know that they taught me but I refused.

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by tsmith(f): 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2013
I for one, I'm not party to find root cause and passing blame. I feel the energy could be positively channelled to resolving issues. Most often in marriaes, it's about who's fault it is etc. Just as some on here have blamed it on the parents. The parents can only teach what they know (what worked for them in their own time and circumstances), couples need to define what works from them, taking into consideration their own circumstances and time.

Also, a good counsellor would never tell you what to do or the decision to take. M.C just helps to see things from different perspectives. My husband and I have had counselling in recent pasts; @ £60 an hour for just a chat, it's rather exepensive, however I left each session knowing myself better.

A neutral 3rd party does help a long way, someone that doesnt know you per say and you may never meet again. Someone that isn't prejudiced and won't hold what you have said against you later.I think this is where pastors, imams and friends and family have failed as M.Cs. Often times, these people tend to tell you what to, get angry when you havent followed their advice, hold and re-use details of the issues at later times or against either party etc.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 11, 2013
Thanks guys displaying maturity on ds thread
God will help us all
He will give us wisdom on how to train our children in a way dat they wont fail us and also He will give these children a good heart dat wont make them derail from the good path we are showing them

1 Like

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

na wa oh, you people no go let man go wack oh . . . cos this thread is really kool

Lol grin

Oprah is the most respectable intelligent, successful role model in the entire World hence my reason for saying human WILL as per her Quote that said

The big secret is that- there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you're willing to work.
OPRAH WINFREY

..... everybody ( 18+) is responsible for their own actions... Lets leave bible outta this.
Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by damiso(f): 5:58pm On Jun 11, 2013
tsmith: I for one, I'm not party to find root cause and passing blame. I feel the energy could be positively channelled to resolving issues. Most often in marriaes, it's about who's fault it is etc. Just as some on here have blamed it on the parents. The parents can only teach what they know (what worked for them in their own time and circumstances), couples need to define what works from them, taking into consideration their own circumstances and time.

Also, a good counsellor would never tell you what to do or the decision to take. M.C just helps to see things from different perspectives. My husband and I have had counselling in recent pasts; @ £60 an hour for just a chat, it's rather exepensive, however I left each session knowing myself better.

A neutral 3rd party does help a long way, someone that doesnt know you per say and you may never meet again. Someone that isn't prejudiced and won't hold what you have said against you later.I think this is where pastors, imams and friends and family have failed as M.Cs. Often times, these people tend to tell you what to, get angry when you havent followed their advice, hold and re-use details of the issues at later times or against either party etc.

@bolded is why I would prefer marriage counselling.Families however neutral they may try to be often add their own prejudices and sometimes this is like adding fuel to a fire.If I listened to some kain counselling from my family hen, I would make my husband spend all his money while I stash mine building houses and investments In Nigeria.And am not talking OUR property am talking Mine.And you know what now I kinda see where those individuals are coming from cos they trusted their husbands with their finances and these men ended up marrying second wives.So for them marriage is be smart, cunning or get screwed.
How wont that colour their advice if asked to counsel a young couple going through a rough patch.
For me counselling, psycology(not just marriage) is sometimes needed in this modern world we are trying to navigate.I was typical naija who was like who needs counselling.But when I had mild PND, my hubby could not stop me crying, my pastor kept telling me to pray, talking to a proffesional helped aloooot.

3 Likes

Re: We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E by biolabee(m): 6:05pm On Jun 11, 2013
good stuff guys... threads on NL can be devoid of rancour...

would just to add the child going rotten is also punushment...
jacobs who was a good father (waiting for bellong cheesy) had a son who slept with his concubine

Samuel died unhappy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Paid To Do It But Fail To Make His Friend's Wife Pregnant After 72 Attempts / My Brother Is An Acoholic, I Need Help! / My Wife's English Is Terrible!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.