Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Is the need for Education Over-rated In Nigeria?? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Is the need for Education Over-rated In Nigeria?? (883 Views)

The Need For A Gold Reserve In Nigeria / Why The Need To Keep Your Money In The Box (banks) When You Can Invest It With U / See What IMF Says About Mutual Funds And The Need For Proper Supervision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is the need for Education Over-rated In Nigeria?? by obibanks: 11:26pm On Jun 10, 2013
The issue of dropping out of school(university precisely) to chase after A business idea in nigeria is usually frowned upon by many. From consulting the dictionary, I was able to understand that an "illiterate" is someone who can't read or write, thereby why is it always termed in nigeria that A person who does not complete his/her university education is an illiterate?? From my personal knowledge and understanding, education( university/ tertiary institution) is A very important aspect of A persons life but I don't believe that its a must in order to be successful, quite alright its an added advantage. With the rate of unemployment in the country, education has not guaranteed job security and setting up business enterprise seems to be a reasonable option, So my question is; if you are young(late teens/early 20s ) and have A business idea that can generate a turnover of 3million in a year as A starter, would you delve into the business( when you knw the chances of succeeding is good) and return to school later or enter school at once to try the business later?
Please comment with your reasons

1 Like

Re: Is the need for Education Over-rated In Nigeria?? by SalesConsultant(m): 10:17pm On Mar 04, 2015
As you rightly said, the rate of job insecurity is alarming in the country today. All these were as a result of the false hope many of us have received while we were still young. It sounds like: go to school, get good grade and get yourself a good job. Even the FG is now encouraging graduates to learn trades after school. Entrepreneurship to me is the way forward. Leaving school is not a bad idea, but one should do so when he/she realizes that the demand from the business world is taking much of the academic time i.e you must have started the business while still in school. And if the business have great potential, please leave school for some time and focus on the business! Thats my personal opinion.

@Obibanks, please follow me (SalesConsultant) so i can send you the invitation for your Salesmanship Training. Thanks!
Re: Is the need for Education Over-rated In Nigeria?? by ekiloui(f): 12:32am On Mar 05, 2015
Education can mean a lot of things, of which attending school is part of it. And yes, being a university graduate is highly overrated. I graduated 4 years ago and I've resorted to business in order to fend for myself. I wish I had put my school fees into business by now I'd have made a lot. I'm not saying education isn't good, but we attach too much importance to it. Unfortunately, u have to bend to the rules of your society. If u are absolutely sure your business idea can get u so much turn over then by all means u can postpone the school thing for a while and later take part time courses. And if anyone has anything to say about it tell them about all the dropout billionaire entrepreneurs who now rule the global economy for instance Richard Branson.

(1) (Reply)

God Is Indeed A Rewarder-god / Clarification On 2016 Mavros: When You Will Get It . / Photos Of Akwa Ibom Meter Assembly Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.