Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? (25323 Views)

Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? / Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by yorke1: 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
Because they wash plates and corpses abroad...and get paid big for it
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by mulattoclaro(m): 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
Because we've explored other areas and see places. We've tried various cuisines, delicacies and even learnt how to speak other languages. So tell me why we shouldn't feel superior?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by obibanks: 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
H
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by condralbede(m): 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
OK...
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by shadrach77: 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
Because they feel they are eating chicken and baked beans which those back home cannot afford cry lipsrsealed kiss
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by tinuolababy(f): 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
observing......
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Mogidi: 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
pleep:
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed?

How did washing plates overseas and doing prostitution count as smart?
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Kihori(m): 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
could it be that we smarter and more informed?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 28, 2015
Dem dey mad ni undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by ibkgab001: 4:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
Some will even tell you when and how to sex with your wife # set of corpse washer

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by anigold(m): 4:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
McStoic:
Folks, how many of you have noticed this norm? I have encountered and heard of scenarios whereby some vital family decisions have been put on hold because of certain directives from abroad. Probably because the ''been to'' member of the family who is not around feels he has to dictate who does what and what action is in vogue or archaic.

Most times this is worst with folks in the UK. I know of a landlord friend who made funny decrees in the agreements with his tenants. The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine!

He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice as a friend has fallen on deaf ears. Any witness guys? embarassed

Which kind mumu superiority when the am STILL sending money to some of my friends in UK and CANADA.

NIGERIA IS a beautiful place dont allow anyone deceive you that everyone in abroad are ballers because its a blind lie..

I know some folks are making it big in yankee but most are struggling to survive...

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Colospor(m): 4:11pm On Apr 28, 2015
Nigerians abroad thinks the have been to Heaven and are more experienced in terms of tourism and some other stuffs than their home-based counterparts.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 28, 2015
Wtf, did u guys slept @ d op doorstep?
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by sam90s(m): 4:12pm On Apr 28, 2015
Okuda:
question for the gods.. now rephrase.... "why do Nigerians living in Nigeria have inferiority complex for anybody and anything that looks foreign?" sick set of folks
Nice one, thank you jare!
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by ETHIX(m): 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2015
Because abroad is better and we'll structured in terms do dev.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Oildichotomy(m): 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2015
Okay
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2015
and this is just making front page since 2013?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Messilistic: 4:15pm On Apr 28, 2015
Skywalker5:
Dont you guys get tired of recycling this same old story?
i tire oo angry
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by irishMO123(m): 4:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
McStoic:
Folks, how many of you have noticed this norm? I have encountered and heard of scenarios whereby some vital family decisions have been put on hold because of certain directives from abroad. Probably because the ''been to'' member of the family who is not around feels he has to dictate who does what and what action is in vogue or archaic.

Most times this is worst with folks in the UK. I know of a landlord friend who made funny decrees in the agreements with his tenants. The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine!

He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice as a friend has fallen on deaf ears. Any witness guys? embarassed
currency differences!...
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by mashnino(m): 4:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
pleep:
^ From the bottom on my heart wink

Your comment about leasing and 30 day visitors shows a shocking level of ignorance.

Mtcheeewww...

You guys are dere slaving yourselves and you are making noise about ignorance

My guy.. U re eida waahing plate or dead body.. Chose one
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
McStoic:

Bro in the aspect of housing, every landlord have the right to include all they feel is right on their agreement. and for the superiority complex, i will say the female is fond of doing that. When i first arrive in Canada for the first time, these Nigerian female treated me like an outsider until i just hated them all. but only two accepted me because we were roommates (city i moved to have less blacks). for the males, we all blended like we knew each other from Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by FEAO1985(m): 4:16pm On Apr 28, 2015
beautiful question! in my opinion and as a non resident i prolly think it's because of the exposure and reasoning of thinking besides the influence of western idealogies and cultures. An apt example would be the view of homosexuality, the practice of Religion and the general outlook on life.In terms of the above context, Nigeria is very very different from the west. Overseas Nigerians are way more subtle and tolerant towards subjects of taboo and sensitivity.

Well there are some arrogant phucks that are inferior and think themselves superior just because of their privileged life. one can never be certain
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by themodernman: 4:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
Even in this Naiaraland forum it's very common & disgusting I must say...you'll hear things like "well I don't use transformer or generator where I am so tongue" very childish statements being made by them I have to scold the hell out of some of them..

My Uncle is currently refusing to help me with a site where I can trust to buy cars because I refused to buy a toyota or honda he insisted on whereas i prefer a benz...since then he has been acting funny..

He calls me stuupid publicly on facebook at every opportunity due to any slips but keeps mute on any other sensible post of mine....I don't even give fuucck about him anymore but he doesn't know it yet...its when I enter yankee for my residency and he sees I live somewhere else is when the "American wonder" will clear from his eyes...nansense!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by TruthPower: 4:17pm On Apr 28, 2015
Thaat's a blanket statement . I live abroad, I nor fellow Nigerians that I know, have any superiority complex.
Don't start what does not exist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Eureka123(f): 4:18pm On Apr 28, 2015
Lol, probably because of the mentality of some people back home. There are occasions when friends in Nigeria do things that make me want to scream my head off. Lol.

To the OP, we should all be tolerant towards each other. If Nigeria must grow to standards like other states of the world certain reforms should be undertaken.

From your example, the landlord has seen how effective the system worked in the UK, and wants to make things smooth-sailing in his own venture back at home. I do understand your point anyways.

Finally, some people abroad believe they have seen more of the diversity of life than people at home, but being abroad doesn't make one the master of all others though. We must learn tolerance.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by raumdeuter: 4:20pm On Apr 28, 2015
Starting

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by femi4: 4:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
pleep:
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed?

dude... do you realize that as a landlord your property depreciates ( looses value) faster the more people are living in it? That stipulation is there so that his tenants don't flood his property with permanent "visitors" who aren't paying him. Hospitality be damned business is business.

You should let more capable people make the important decisions.
Not in lag, every 2yrs, house rent must increase by default
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by iykedare(m): 4:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
raumdeuter:
Starting

free this guy abeg.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
yorke1:
Because they wash plates and corpses abroad...and get paid big for it

common nah, some Nigerians like myself don't wash dishes.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Ilekeh(f): 4:22pm On Apr 28, 2015
Don't mind them...... dem plenty on NL with their useless witch doctor certificate grin
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by femi4: 4:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
themodernman:
Even in this Naiaraland forum it's very common & disgusting I must say...you'll hear things like "well I don't use transformer or generator where I am so tongue" very childish statements being made by them I have to scold the hell out of some of them..

My Uncle is currently refusing to help me with a site where I can trust to buy cars because I refused to buy a toyota or honda he insisted on whereas i prefer a benz...since then he has been acting funny..

He calls me stuupid publicly on facebook at every opportunity due to any slips but keeps mute on any other sensible post of mine....I don't even give fuucck about him anymore but he doesn't know it yet...its when I enter yankee for my residency and he sees I live somewhere else is when the "American wonder" will clear from his eyes...nansense!
Remove him from your friend list

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 28, 2015
It comes from the amount of burger consumed grin grin grin grin grin grin

On a more serious note there is nothing like superiority complex jare

Na we wey dey naija dey give them hype. or make I say na us get inferiority complex.

Person english sweet small even naija men go dey shy grin grin grin grin Chai Chai..... grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronation Of The Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Now Underway – LIVE UPDATES / Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Pictures Of Aba (abia State) Or Usofia (anambra State) Pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.