Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,501 members, 7,770,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:11 AM

Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes (15287 Views)

ANTI-GAY LAW: We’ll Pressure Nigeria To Reverse The Law – United States / BREAKING: Uganda Supreme Court Strike Down Anti-gay Law. / Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill That Includes Life In Prison - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 11, 2013
Personally, I think this is a nice step in getting rid of those folks who think the world got time for such behaviors.

MOSCOW – A bill that stigmatizes gay people and bans giving children any information about homosexuality won overwhelming approval Tuesday in Russia's lower house of parliament.

Hours before the State Duma passed the Kremlin-backed law in a 436-0 vote with one abstention, more than two dozen protesters were attacked by hundreds of anti-gay activists and then detained by police.

The bill banning the "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" still needs to be passed by the appointed upper house and signed into law by President Vladimir Putin, but neither step is in doubt.

The measure is part of an effort to promote traditional Russian values instead of Western liberalism, which the Kremlin and the Russian Orthodox Church see as corrupting Russian youth and contributing to the protests against Putin's rule.

The only parliament member to abstain Tuesday was Ilya Ponomaryov, who has supported anti-Putin protesters despite belonging to a pro-Kremlin party.

A widespread hostility to homosexuality is shared by much of Russia's political and religious elite. Lawmakers have accused gays of decreasing Russia's already low birth rates and said they should be barred from government jobs, undergo forced medical treatment or be exiled.

The State Duma passed another bill on Tuesday that makes offending religious feelings a crime punishable by up to three years in prison. The bill, which passed 308-2, was introduced last year after three members of the Pussy Riot punk group were convicted of "hooliganism motivated by religious hatred" for an impromptu anti-Putin protest inside Moscow's main cathedral and given two-year sentences.

Before the anti-gay vote, rights activists attempted to hold a "kissing rally" outside the State Duma, located across the street from Red Square in central Moscow, but they were attacked by hundreds of Orthodox Christian activists and members of pro-Kremlin youth groups. The mostly burly young men with closely cropped hair pelted the activists with eggs, shouting obscenities and homophobic slurs at them.

Riot police moved in, detaining more than two dozen protesters, almost all of them gay rights activists. Some who were not detained were beaten by masked men on another central street.

The legislation will impose hefty fines for providing information about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community to minors or holding gay pride rallies. Those breaking the law will be fined up to 5,000 rubles ($156) for an individual and up to 1 million rubles ($31,000) for a company, including media organizations.

Foreign citizens arrested under the new law can be deported or jailed for up to 15 days and then deported. European gay rights activists have joined Russians in trying to hold gay pride rallies in Moscow in recent years.

Russia decriminalized homosexuality in 1993, but anti-gay sentiment remains high. Russia also is considering banning citizens of countries that allow same-sex marriage from adopting Russian children.

Earlier Tuesday, dozens of anti-gay activists picketed the Duma. One of them held a poster that read: "Lawmakers, protect the people from perverts!" while others held Orthodox icons and chanted prayers.

Russian and foreign rights activists have decried the bill as violating basic rights.

"Russia is trying very hard to make discrimination look respectable by calling it `tradition,' but whatever term is used in the bill, it remains discrimination and a violation of the basic human rights of LGBT people," Graeme Reid, the LGBT rights program director at Human Rights Watch, said Tuesday in a statement.

Lyudmila Alexeyeva, one of Russia's oldest and most prominent rights activists, called the law "a step toward the Middle Ages."

"In normal countries, no one persecutes representatives of sexual minorities," Alexeyeva told the Interfax news agency. "A modern person knows that these people are different from the rest just like a brunette is different from a blonde. They are not guilty of anything."

Russian officials have rejected the criticism. Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov defended the bill in February, saying that Russia does not have any international or European commitment to "allow the propaganda of homosexuality."

An executive with a Russian government-run television network said in a nationally televised talk show that gays should be prohibited from donating blood, sperm or organs for transplants, and after their deaths their hearts should be burned or buried.

The bill's adoption comes 20 years after a Stalinist-era law punishing homosexuality with up to five years in prison was removed from Russia's penal code as part of democratic reforms that followed the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/11/russian-parliament-to-vote-on-bill-imposing-fines-for-holding-gay-pride-rallies/?test=latestnews#content

21 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nice one soviets

15 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Geomac: 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Rossikk(m): 8:01pm On Jun 11, 2013
I'm a bit surprised to be honest. Thought the gay rights movement would be a lot stronger in a European state like Russia.

2 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
Awesome
Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by PvtParts1: 8:11pm On Jun 11, 2013
I don't care if you are gay or not but what I do hate about gays and what I find very good with this new Russian Law is that gays want to be defined or categorized in society firstly by their sexual orientation and they want it to be part of the bureaucracy. The law like the old soviet emblem comes down hard like a hammer on a bent sickle.

Gays are Cancer and AIDS at the same time afflicting our society and the world at large.
There is nothing natural about homosexuality since gay men are highly promiscuous and are easily afflicted by a myriad of health problems resulting from their lifestyle.

Read the story of Donny The Punk and get an insight of what a gay man is really all about

http://www.jimgoad.net/pdf/prison/donny.pdf

Caution! Click on link at your on risk. Somethings just can't be unread.

9 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Ikengawo: 8:20pm On Jun 11, 2013
Rossikk: I'm a bit surprised to be honest. Thought the gay rights movement would be a lot stronger in a European state like Russia.

Russia is not like the rest of europe. It's a lot less liberal to a significant extreme. It's also not a real democracy and functions, politically, more like an African country than a standard european one.

3 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by dhardline(m): 9:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
I really thank God for this move,let them keep it up.Its little things like this that makes God bless a nation.While some other countries copying sodom and gomorrah are busy passing laws that allows ladies dressing unclad legal.Na thunder go soon fire dem. undecided

10 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
The 436 - 0 votes got me cracked up.
Any one who dared to vote against would have left a suicide not the following morning (the KGB must had been watching from somewhere near).

7 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Rossikk(m): 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
noblezone:
The 436 - 0 votes got me cracked up.
Any one who dared to vote against would have left a suicide not the following morning (the KGB must had been watching from somewhere near).

lol.... nobody fcks with the KGB. cool

2 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by peace3: 9:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
GOOD ONE[b][/b] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by 2goodbobo(m): 9:51pm On Jun 11, 2013
Bravo
Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 11, 2013
good.
Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by CROWE: 10:19pm On Jun 11, 2013
Rossikk: I'm a bit surprised to be honest. Thought the gay rights movement would be a lot stronger in a European state like Russia.

You are thinking of western nations, Russia is nothing like them, it is more like china were the government and the people are separate and it is heavily oppressive of it own people.

dhardline: I really thank God for this move,let them keep it up.Its little things like this that makes God bless a nation.While some other countries copying sodom and gomorrah are busy passing laws that allows ladies dressing unclad legal.Na thunder go soon fire dem. undecided

Clearly God is not blessing Russia, he is blessing those soddom and gomorrah nations because by any stretch of the imagination they are all much better than putin prison.

4 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by HARDEYLEKE(m): 10:22pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nice move... I wonder how a man and a man will be doing d tyn together from d back... Xo xo disgurstyn....

2 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Phoenix6278(m): 10:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
USA should come and run their mouth the way they did in Nigeria's case. Nah they won't, they know their boundaries

15 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by xrazzy(m): 10:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
crowe is either a gay or a bi-curious thing!
CROWÉ:

You are thinking of western nations, Russia is nothing like them, it is more like china were the government and the people are separate and it is heavily oppressive of it own people.

Clearly God is not blessing Russia, he is blessing those soddom and gomorrah nations because by any stretch of the imagination they are all much better than putin prison.

5 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by ABsI1: 10:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
Awaiting EU,USA and all anti God supporters to threaten russia wit aid witholding. Poverty is a curse,nigeria seems to be 1 too.

4 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by 50calibre(m): 10:30pm On Jun 11, 2013
Welcoming news out of russia. Homosexuality is like a virus and should be treated as a pariah.

It is abnormal and unexplainable

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:34pm On Jun 11, 2013
I like this. No gay in Vladimir Putin's nation.

2 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by ABsI1: 10:35pm On Jun 11, 2013
CROWÉ:

full;dont mistake satan's wealth wit God's blessings. Well u r a nigerian and im not surprise because all u know is wealth by stealing,looting,drug peddling,fraud,stealing,robbery etc

8 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by free2ryhme: 10:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
Gud one former iron curtain leader
Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
wow russia is in trouble no more aid for them from EU and US.loool im curious o how about asian people sef,are dey on our side like russia or the other side of the pacific.
Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by tdade(m): 10:45pm On Jun 11, 2013
Finally, some sanity restored to the world. I'd love to hear what the white house has to say to this. Oh wait, its not Nigeria - its RUSSIA..........

3 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Phonon: 10:52pm On Jun 11, 2013
Kitty-Cat group?All this hypocrisy on Nairaland is just getting on my nerves.So the Russian punk group that protested in a church is now Kitty-Cat?The fact that the name of the group has one word whose meaning has been distorted to represent something vulgar does not mean it can't be written.P****** Riot is not a bad name.I TIRE FOR THIS FORUM O.

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by jmoore(m): 10:54pm On Jun 11, 2013
Good move. I thought these foreign countries have all gone insane, Russia seems to be among the sane ones.

3 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 11, 2013
i comment my reserve...
Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by BarryX(m): 11:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
This is one of the best news emanating from Russia in a while now, Vladimir even with his sadist face and racist tendencies, he succeeded in winning my heart ! Thumbs up BUT why did the news article describe it as discriminatory, For crying out loud, these gays "discriminated" against the norm of nature !

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by fitzmayowa: 11:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
What happened to live and let others live
Just passing by sha

5 Likes

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
Good one guys!!!

Not giving a hoot wot d international world will say!

People now embrace immorals and hide under civilisation and human rights!

Some will spew rubbish and tell u it's freedom of speech!

Fuckin immorality taking over the world! Those of us who can stand shld pls stand! Those who wanna fall shld be ma guest!!

***spits***

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by BarryX(m): 11:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
googlepikin: wow russia is in trouble no more aid for them from EU and US.loool im curious o how about asian people sef,are dey on our side like russia or the other side of the pacific.
And your moniker is "googlepikin" ? Like seriously RUSSIA=EU or US aid ?? I don't understand the relationship, please for the record, Russia DON'T depend on EU or US aid infact EU attention is tainting towards Russia to help in their recession.. BTW .. Read more shaa

1 Like

Re: Russian Parliament Passes Anti-gay Bill In a 436-0 Votes by gentlem80(m): 11:10pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nice one grin Let await some gay and lesbo bashing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Burundi Bans BBC, Voice Of America For Spreading 'Fake News' / Vassily Nebenzia: Russia Is Against The Junta That Is In Power In Kiyv / #Partygate: UK PM, Boris Johnson narrowly Survives Confidence Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.