Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria (36184 Views)

Ebola: The Use Of Second Hand Clothes Can Be Dangerous. / Should Ladies Buy Second-Hand Bras ? / Second-Hand Clothes! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 11:50am On Jun 13, 2013
deinma afie: Two persons have given the correct story. Ibime and his friend are both correct but their approach towards the issue is wrong. They are bringing sentiment into this. As a matter of fact they are suppose to be brothers

Bensonite: @Ibime and Barcanista,
Please stop embarrassing Wakirike on this thread with needless quarrels. You are already derailing the topic. It is people like you that made Okrika to get the name of the thread you are debating today.
As far back as 1972, Professor(Emeritus) Tekena Tamuno former Vice Chancellor of UI an Okrikan who happens to be a renowned historian took the fight to ensure an end to the name " Okrika wake up". Whereas the location of the famous Okrika Jetty is true which enabled used clothes/ other sundry goods to be traded, the wake up call was made to stop Okrikans from frequent internal fighting as it was believed then fighting era in Riverine (Ijaw)had past. Infact, a bloody stony-fight eschew in 1962 between the two groups Tuboniju and Koniju (which Ibime and Barcanista are laying claims to) and Professor Tekena has written several memoirs on this.
I want to rest my case as I am too busy now in the office to make more comment.

My elders, I salute una. Well said. The matter is not a big issue. I önly had to respond on the matter cos barcanista attacked my initial comment with unnecessary talks about pure blood and whatnot.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by datarex: 11:52am On Jun 13, 2013
kalunomics: There's no one exclusive Igbo language... Just like you said, my mum can communicate well with people from Izi, Ezza, Abakiliki et al of Ebonyi state but I can only understand my own Edda language(which is spoken by people of Afikpo north and south LGAs, Ivo LGA of Ebonyi state and Item, Ohafia people of Abia state) because I was born and raised in Owerri.

But in Imo state, people marvel at my oral prowess in all the Igbo languages in Imo state like Awara[b][/b], oguta, and extending to Ogba, Egbema and Ndoni Igbo of River state.

The world is a small place, made even smaller by Nairaland!
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 12:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
deinma afie: Two persons have given the correct story. Ibime and his friend are both correct but their approach towards the issue is wrong. They are bringing sentiment into this. As a matter of fact they are suppose to be brothers

Bensonite: @Ibime and Barcanista,
Please stop embarrassing Wakirike on this thread with needless quarrels. You are already derailing the topic. It is people like you that made Okrika to get the name of the thread you are debating today.
As far back as 1972, Professor(Emeritus) Tekena Tamuno former Vice Chancellor of UI an Okrikan who happens to be a renowned historian took the fight to ensure an end to the name " Okrika wake up". Whereas the location of the famous Okrika Jetty is true which enabled used clothes/ other sundry goods to be traded, the wake up call was made to stop Okrikans from frequent internal fighting as it was believed then fighting era in Riverine (Ijaw)had past. Infact, a bloody stony-fight eschew in 1962 between the two groups Tuboniju and Koniju (which Ibime and Barcanista are laying claims to) and Professor Tekena has written several memoirs on this.
I want to rest my case as I am too busy now in the office to make more comment.

My elders, I salute una. Well said. The matter is not a big issue. I önly had to respond on the matter cos barcanista attacked my initial comment with unnecessary talks about pure blood and whatnot.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Wallosco: 12:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
xtianchris:
The smell, be like goat armpit. Ahahahahahahhaahhahahaa cant stop laffing oooo....you don smell goat armit berfore..?...

u ppl are bad here ooooo......i done laughhhhhhhhhh tired
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 13, 2013
lorretta u: anyway I can't say for sure.but I know okrika doesn't rank as low as 15th.besides there's still dispute about that land between okrika and eleme people.besides the refinery apart.the oil itself comes from underneath most of okrika's water bodies.that's where the wealth is.e.g the wealth is in the farm not the processing machine.but as for position I'm not sure.just stating what I heard.hahaha.dude you funny.anyway I'm taken. smiley winkbut I could give u my twin.yes I'm a twin cheesy

For twins, one plus one equalls one.Oya PM me ur twin's contact details sharp sharp. cool
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 13, 2013
makelove2m: Okirika, is been pronouce like this Oki-ri-kaa, which means second valued items, and this is a borrowed language from igboland, though sounds like one of the town in Rivers State, Okirika in Rivers state is a remote area and do not have sea Port now or before, Is unfutunately that most of our local languages are lossing ground as a result of foreign language first hand usage,
oga okrika isn't remote even though they need development,the town isn't even far from pH city.and you're wrong.they have a sea port but it's not so big or major like those in the big cities and is mainly used for vessels coming to carry oil from other countries.check pics.I used to hang ou there a lot.thye'd even let me into the jetty cos I was a serving corps member.I used to see all thos whites coming to cart our oil away sad

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 13, 2013
Kamanda:

For twins, one plus one equalls one.Oya PM me ur twin's contact details sharp sharp. cool
with her permission.so give me four market weeks.and I'll get back to you :-)
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: No mind that guy way no know anything. He just want say something. That your twin sister, i hop say she set like you? Make you declare open competition for interested guymen to jostle for her heart

Bros! You should be walking around town with a learner Sign permanently placed around your neck.

Better stay away from that Twin sister O.
That babe is MINE.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 13, 2013
Ibime:

Senior Man i salute you along with fellow elders. My blood boil when you said Okrika is mixture of Kalabari and Igbo. Sorry for my derogatory statements-you know say Okrika people de quick provoke. I need to pm you o, you be my brother...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 13, 2013
Kamanda:

Bros! You should be walking around town with a learner Sign permanently placed around your neck.

Better stay away from that Twin sister O.
That babe is MINE.
Officer this one way you de claim exclusive right of ownership,e tire me o. oya cool down make we wait for 4 market weeks to see how far. but for now, na open floor... i luv competition wella
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibime(m): 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: Senior Man i salute you along with fellow elders. My blood boil when you said Okrika is mixture of Kalabari and Igbo. Sorry for my derogatory statements-you know say Okrika people de quick provoke. I need to pm you o, you be my brother...

We dey provoke quick no be small.

But I never mentioned Kalabari though. I no know who talk that one. Na that Eze Promoe chap talk that one.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ekans: 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2013
Ok
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 13, 2013
Ibime:

But I never mentioned Kalabari though. I no know who talk that one. Na that Eze Promoe chap talk that one.
ah no vex. i don pm you boss. abeg try reply your boy. permit me to use this medium to pledge my undiluted loyalty to you sir
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by ow11(m): 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2013
Oya now. . .

We are still waiting for the difference between Koniju and Tuboniju?

BTW, that corper needs to be blocked at that jetty o, see as two guys don dey gum am. Is it too late to join the tussle?
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 13, 2013
ow11: Oya now. . .

We are still waiting for the difference between Koniju and Tuboniju?

BTW, that corper needs to be blocked at that jetty o, see as two guys don dey gum am. Is it too late to join the tussle?
No difference. Wakrike is one... As for that tussle, bros you fit join o, e never to late. in fact na her twin sister be the bone of contention.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by EzePromoe: 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: ah no vex. i don pm you boss. abeg try reply your boy. permit me to use this medium to pledge my undiluted loyalty to you sir
Ibime:

Holy Shiiiiiit! sad

This fight must not end. I'm enjoying it. IT MUST CONTINUE!

Oya, Ibime you're Tuboniju, Barcanista, you're Koniju!

Pee-pee-pee
WAR START! cheesy
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Bensonite: 2:01pm On Jun 13, 2013
@ Ibime and Barcanista, thank you very much. Wakirike!
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by ow11(m): 2:07pm On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: No difference. Wakrike is one... As for that tussle, bros you fit join o, e never to late. in fact na her twin sister be the bone of contention.

I shall type my lyrics shortly. . .

@Eze,

E no go work? Okrika boys no go fight again. . . Militancy don finish all the men for that Island
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by deinmaafie(f): 2:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
barcanista: Senior Man i salute you along with fellow elders. My blood boil when you said Okrika is mixture of Kalabari and Igbo. Sorry for my derogatory statements-you know say Okrika people de quick provoke. I need to pm you o, you be my brother...
Barcanista, you are a real Okrikan. We dont fight our brother. #À íkerenime#
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 13, 2013
deinma afie: Barcanista, you are a real Okrikan. We dont fight our brother. #À íkerenime#
One love Sister...
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Malawian(m): 3:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
basisop:

Hence, the man and name Adetokunbo is simply saying that Ade is from Europe? Am I correct?
tokunbo means second-hand, just like oil soup peeps are second-hand humans. grin grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by sonofjos(m): 3:36pm On Jun 13, 2013
mitey: Why are second-hand clothes called okrika? undecided

Why are second-cars called tokunbo?

Why are rich kids called ajebota?

And why is this shi.t on Front Page? angry

[size=14pt]Go get a life dude![/size] angry
simple informations like this makes thedifference at 'who wants to be a millionaire'

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Jamisco: 3:40pm On Jun 13, 2013
FECOSON: Who gave secondhand cloths Okrika in Nigeria?

POINT OF CORRECTION "OKRIKA IN SOUTH-EAST NOT NIGERIA" THE NORTH HAS ITS OWN NAME FOR SECONDHAND CLOTHS "GONJUR"
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by 1shortblackboy: 3:49pm On Jun 13, 2013
Okrika don enter news today.
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by grandlexuz(m): 5:37pm On Jun 13, 2013
erudite scholar: My dad told me that when the white men brings the cloth to nig, they bring it through a small port in okirika in Rivers state. Okirika shld be in rivers or bayelsa now. He kept telling us the same history till he died cos his family traded on okirika in lome and cotonoue.

Go get a life You sef you tire me oooh! A man wonders the origin of a name and turns to the internet to find out and all you can do is insult him. In Cameroon it is equally called Okirika and I clicked this topic without hesitation to know the origin of the name. People like you who already have a life should not bother clicking on such topics if you got no meaningful contributions. E be like you get anger management problems!
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by igboboy1(m): 8:10pm On Jun 13, 2013
tonye4q:

Igbo focus.
na true talk em dey tell you.
abi u knw no were them dey call umu okrika inside imo state
that na igbo people way we colonize.

bush poeple.

Where for igbo land that the native dey speak okirika? If anything it is the other way around, in Okirika land it is normal for igbo to be spoken..So who dey colonize who? Anuofia

1 Like

Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Daniel058(m): 9:33pm On Jun 13, 2013
Let's set 5ive men committee to look on d issue.lol!!
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Kelvin4224: 5:13pm On Jun 14, 2013
xtianchris: i tire o!
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by MOBBDEEP: 10:20am On Jun 15, 2013
This is the kind of discussion I enjoyed though Barcanista was a bit harsh
Got me educated
At least, I now know that :
(A). KONIJU = The acclaimed pure-blooded Okrikans who are mostly Fishermen and who repute themselves to be the real land-owners/original settlers.
TUBONIJU = The supposed half-bred/mixed-blooded Okrikans who are predominantly & traditionally Traders and either, at best, are the products from the Original Settlers & the Migrants OR at worse, the migrants themselves or their descendants.

Then, the line is very thin now because of the influence of :
- the profound acceptance by the original-settlers ;
- the age of the community ;
- disallowing discrimination and
- the inter-clanic union.

(B). That the small community (judging by its landmass) command a whopping large allocation among the 774 LGAs in Nigeria

(C). That the Okrika-Community have a highly-placed but coveted leader-position called AMANAYABOR

Ibime, I doff my hat. You are sure lettered and well-refined at that.
You know your root plus your onions
You should be a historian.
An intellectual person should not have a boring moment around you
That was quite informative
Enjoy your day sir
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by makelove2m(m): 10:33am On Jun 15, 2013
deinma afie: I thought you are suppose to be in the farm by now . Just keep quiet over what you dont know undecided I thought you are suppose to be in the farm by now :-/. Just keep quiet over what you dont know

Uche onye adi-ya njo.......... Why you go cause me join my talk here, wetin be your stake, wetin you no sabi , i got the truth, you dey shout like afo anu
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by tdmoggy: 10:56am On Jul 03, 2013
New London arrival - Cleared Today

9 bales of children - N69,500 each
1 bale of london ladies bra - N125,000
2 bales Mens shirt (100 pieces) - N42,000 each
1 Bale ladies mixed tops - N35,000
1 Bale of original shorts - N35,000
1 Bale of light Sports wear - N55,000
1 Bale Mens polo/t shirt mix - N45,000
1 Bale of Ladies mix dresses - N65,000
Mens shoes - 6 Bags (186 pairs) - N1,300 each
Children shoes 3 bags (206 pairs) - N750 each

Also
1 bale of mixed underwear pants
1 Bale Mixed socks/stockings
1 bale of leggings
1 bale of singlets/camisoile

All items london A grade goods
Prices reflected are previous selling price,
Items not priced are subject to negotiation and offers are welcome.

Email with your contact phone number and we will text you our warehouse address
at Iyana ipaja

Dealers are welcome and we can negotiate multiple deals price.
We ship every month and we are looking for steady buyers

Send us email on Nigeriadesk@lexwin.co.uk
Re: Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria by Ibroakin: 9:24am On Aug 08, 2013
We are suppliers of original used clothes from UK to Nigeria,we sell uk designers used clothes,new clothes,used shoes,new shoes and bags,you can like us on Facebook "used clothing Nigeria" to check pictures of our products,we have got tons of clothes,shoes and bags available for sale,if you are a bulk buyer in Nigeria,you can mail me on ibro20082008@yahoo.com or call me on +447534654891

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos: The Power Of Makeup / The Contestants Of Miss Ife World Pageant (Photos) / Photo Of A Woman Wearing Palm Fruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.