Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? (1763 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2013

OPINION

Mr and Mrs Bello just had a baby girl and during the naming ceremony, the new father proudly announced to everyone who cared to listen that he was going to make sure she became a medical doctor! Now the question is, what if the little girl grows up and wants to become a fashion designer? This scenario is not uncommon in our society, as parents and guardians sometimes feel they should be the ones to choose a career path for their kids/wards.

Having intelligent kids is a blessing and some parents think that because their kids do very well in some school subjects at the elementary level, they have some kind of insight as to what the kids are supposed to major in for their tertiary education. From their kids' secondary education, some parents make it their duty to advice, push and influence the children's career path to their own preference.

The truth about this course of action, is that some parents or guardians who aspired to be something or become a particular professional as children, but could not achieve that dream for themselves, pass on the same dream to their kids without caring if the kids have any interest in such field. Even though they may be good in the subjects relating to the course of study, as they have every intention of living vicariously through their kids.

Although, some people may see nothing wrong with this trend, but it is good for parents and guardians to take time out to consider the fact that their kids or wards may not be interested in pursuing their choice of a career path, due to the fact that they may have interests that appeal to them. Everyone has a particular field that appeals to them and parents should allow their kids choose career paths that better suit them.

Another reason why parents would want to choose careers for their kids is because, to them, the people in that field, make a lot of money, hence, the reason for their meddling. For instance, in this part of the world, professional footballers and entertainers are perceived to be extremely wealthy, so some parents use words and actions to push their children into those fields, whether they have the talent and willpower to do well or not.

One thing parents and guardians should realize is that, their children are the ones who will pursue these careers, so they should be allowed to pursue the path they can handle and which will make them happy, no matter the financial rewards. Late Professor Chinua Achebe, a literary legend, may not have been one of the richest men in the world, but he was known worldwide and opened the doorway for other prolific writers in Africa. That is greatness and the reward that comes from allowing people engage in what makes them happy, at the same time, satisfying the needs of people.

There have been cases of people pursuing a degree just for the sake of their parents, after which they abandon the certificates to pursue their heart's desires, leaving their parents devastated. Just think how much headache would have been avoided if the parents had allowed them do what they love in the first place.

Dorothy Atsu, an educationist, is of the view that children should be given a chance to excel wherever their heart is. "Parents should give them the necessary support and allow them to choose their careers, regardless of their own reservations, they should only do their part by offering advice and encouragement," she said.

There are no shortcuts to fulfillment. Allow your children pave their own way to greatness, avoid meddling in their choice of a career or vocation. Every destiny is different.

Eremionkhale , a youth corp member, writes from Minna.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201305170519.html
Re: Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? by dayokanu(m): 6:17pm On Jun 12, 2013
I disagree with the write up

The role of parents is to guide children

And that role of guiding is as a result of the parents experience

Your kids need to be prepared to take on the world

E.g if I have a kid who says his passion is playing video games Should I encourage him to pursue his passion?

If you have a son and he says he loves dancing he wants to study dance in School, i would not encourage him and he wont do that on my own money

He can get his first degree in a sensible field and later go on his own money to pursue his dance and romance language career

Some ppl due to these reasons incurred loads of student loans to study courses that are not relevant in the job market
Re: Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? by slimyem: 6:40pm On Jun 12, 2013
At the intial stage,perhaps. That's what makes them parents but at some point when it becomes obvious that the child is certain of what he/she wants,they should let go.

Most of the time,these parents just want their children to live their own dreams and I consider it selfish.

It just makes life miserable for the child sometimes.

Had a friend who wrote Jamb for more than seven years because her father insisted that she studies medicine. She finally got the admission,failed in the first year and got dropped to some other medical sciences but her father asked that she write Jamb again. She's still in medical school and I can tell that she's doing it just for the man.

Heard the story of one other who graduated as a medical student,and gave his father his certificate the day he was inducted and went off to do something more his choice.

Some children just never forgive their parents for making them tow a path they didn't choose.
While they could have been excellent in a field of ther choice or interest,they manage to be average or fall below in one they were forced into.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2013
Only guide them. Those parents who force their kids into a profession, the majority of them end up failing. I know people who suffer from forceful parents. undecided
Re: Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? by Nobody: 1:22am On Jun 13, 2013
What do we even hv in naija except white collar jobs? D profesions parents normally want their child to study r minimal (medicine, engineering,pharmacy= hoping that a drug baron will marry her eventually especially a female child and going into priesthood= so they will answer mama and papa fada).
We r yet to c life outside these scenerios.
The system is not making it easier too on children be versatile cos of dormant leaders
This is one major reason I want my kids to start life outside naija so that what we(d parents) missed they will not.whatever they aspire to be,they should ride on with our full support
Left to me I will not study what I did in school but my passion is not obtainable here.
Re: Nigerian Parents: Career Choice - Is It Wise To Meddle? by tpia5: 4:13am On Jun 13, 2013
most people still end up in nursing anyway, once they travel out.

its either that or minimum wage jobs, so at the end of the day, might just be easier to study something that will help you better in the long run.

even the US is working on visas for professionals now.

if you dont do this much soul searching before deciding to enroll in nursing school [with their waiting lists], in order to have some edge in the job market, then why so much annoyance in other instances.

of course, if a course is too difficult for you, then that's a different matter and you should do what works for you if there's no other option.

(1) (Reply)

My Wife Beats Me Anytime She's Drunk- Man / Sad Facts Of Life / 4 Good Reasons For A Man To Hit A Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.