Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each (7099 Views)

National Assembly Management Asks Lawmakers To Vacate Offices Today / Buhari's Ministers,Lawmakers To Get N9bn Housing,furniture Allowance / Why Gov Obiano Took 30 Anambra Lawmakers To US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by denuda: 5:32pm On May 06, 2008
Each member of the Oyo State House of Assembly is to receive N20m as constituency allowance, courtesy of the Governor, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala.

A source exclusively our correspondent that the money would be paid in two tranches of N10m, with the first instalment said to be ready for collection.

The governor is also said to have arranged a 10-day foreign trip for the lawmakers, scheduled for May 19 to 29.

The source said, “This is the final straw that will break the back of the legislative arm of government. Before now they have been a rubber stamp of the executive.

“Now that they are being induced with N20m, there is nothing the governor send to them that will not be passed. I don’t know the meaning of this constituency thing when these lawmakers are not contractors.”

It was, however, gathered that the lawmakers had been on the neck of the governor since last year to approve the constituency allowance for them, which he delayed till this year on the excuse that it could not be accommodated in last year’s budget.

The lawmakers were said to have upped this year’s appropriation bill to cater for the constituency allowance, while the governor had been reluctant to release the money until last month.

Alao-Akala, however, varied the payment term by opting to first pay N10m, with a pledge to pay the remaining N10m by the last quarter of the year.

The lawmakers were said to have initially rejected the proposal, saying that their counterparts in the neighbouring states got a lump sum of N20m as constituency allowance.

Soon after they bowed to the proposal, it was again learnt that another disagreement arose when the governor insisted that five per cent of the N10m would be deducted as Value Added Tax.

After a heated debate that lasted for a few days, the lawmakers were said to have succumbed to the governor by agreeing to collect N9.5m each.

On the foreign trip, it was learnt that a company in which an unnamed government official had interest had tabled a proposal before the governor for the lawmakers to travel to the United States of America, Canada or London.

While the lawmakers were billed to attend a “legislative training workshop” for six days, it was gathered that the remaining four days was added to enable them to relax.

The source said the lawmakers would know their destination when they received their visa being processed in Lagos by this week.

The lawmakers would also receive another sum as estacode for the journey, which the executive had not made public.

Confirming the findings by our correspondent in a telephone interview on Monday, the Speaker of the House, Mr. Moroof Atilola, said there was nothing strange in the allowance and the proposed foreign trip.

The Leader of the All Nigeria Peoples Party in the House, Mr. Abiodun Awoleye, shared similar sentiment in a separate interview with our correspondent.

According to the speaker, the lawmakers have not been treated differently from their counterparts in other parts of the country.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008050616425
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Blatant: 5:37pm On May 06, 2008
What a waste!!!

These are the people that citizens voted for?
until people learn not to sing praises of those who impoverish them, they will continue to suffer
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by sheniqua: 5:42pm On May 06, 2008
is this their personal money or is it money for their various constituencies ?
isn't this korokoro open eye stealing?
what are they travelling abroad for?
Thieves!!
Ole!!
ndi Oshi!!

Stealing and spending state money while the citizens starve
May God judge and punish them all.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Uche2nna(m): 5:45pm On May 06, 2008
Can somebody educate me on the meaning of " constituency allowance" ? undecided
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by SkyBlue1: 5:56pm On May 06, 2008
Nothing annoys me more than when these people get into power and start acting like this as if it is their birthright in the midst of poverty. What are they going to learn in USA and Canda and such? Especially in this age of internet? I want to be so naive as not to jump to conclusions so @poster any more info on what it is they have to travel all the way to US to learn? If this is happening at the state level imagine what is happening at the national level where they refused to entertain the freedom of information bill and then they want trips. Have any of them earned it? What have they done that is so stressful apart from turning up that they need 4 days to relax abroad. They can't just pack them all into lorry and take them to bar beach with government paid pure water and one packet of nasco biscuit for doing nothing? I really hope this is just hear say and not true because these stories are just depressing.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by subice(m): 6:00pm On May 06, 2008
Especially when it's being paid into personal accounts. These guys have no moral conscience.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On May 06, 2008
Uche2nna:

First Question, Where the heck is "Rule of Law" in this? LMAO!!!!
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by ono(m): 9:00pm On May 06, 2008
Uche2nna:

The only authentic source of answer to your question lies in davidylan's Nigerian Political Dictionary. It is in there that you'd get the meaning of those words. I think he'll look it up for you if he's around and give you the meaning pronto!
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by OsunAmazon: 9:11pm On May 06, 2008
Na waoh.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by lucabrasi(m): 12:15am On May 07, 2008
Blatant:

What a waste!!!

until people learn not to sing praises of those who impoverish them, they will continue to suffer
not only that,untill voters stop demanding money upfront from politicians leaving the need to recover when they get elected, politicians are mega corrupt no doubt but can u imagine a situation like students coming to meet you for school fees and stuffs before you r elected and later plan with other youths to fleece you again,ward leaders,levying bags of rice and money u have to pay every week/ward meeting,also money to share,that is why people need godfathers who in turn invest and want a return on their money then the people start complaining when the crokked politician and godfather are recovering their investments
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by 4Him1(m): 12:29am On May 07, 2008
Uche2nna:

Constituency allowance: A bogus term used to refer to a form of financial inducement for lawbreakers in order to lubricate the machinery of executive looting. See also bribery, greasing the palm.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Jamco45: 3:42pm On May 09, 2008
I still believe its better to pay and indulge our leaders well instead of them stealing our money.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by texazzpete(m): 4:02pm On May 09, 2008
@Jamco45
Pay and indulge them, knowing fully well they'll still steal? Are politicians not supposed to be servants of the people? Are they supposed to be in it for the money?

It's a shame that a country that hesitates to pay its lecturers and medical doctors well can pander to the whims of politicians
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by landis(m): 4:54pm On May 09, 2008
Can somebody educate me on the meaning of " constituency allowance"

Money to be spent on:

1 spread info in their community

3. rent office/employ people in their community

4. travels for house issues in their community etc

It is within the law but most of these guys pocket the money.

The community of each members should be asking questions.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by TheSly: 5:31pm On May 09, 2008
Blatant:

What a waste!!!

Point of correction. . . . . .the citizens didnt vote for these crooks . . . . wink
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Jamco45: 5:34pm On May 09, 2008
We don't need to lie to ourselves. Most or all of our politicians are theives. Its hard to find someone honest and if you do people he meets in government will either corrupt him through threats and blackmail or he will simply join them. You are talking about how it should be, you are right but I am looking for a solution. Pay them well to moltivate them.
Don't get me wrong its not only the politicians that needs to be paid well. Police, Army, Doctors, Lecturers, Teachers, Nurses, civil servants all need to be paid well. We all know what these guys get up to just to make fast buck.
We need to turn that mentality around and look for solutions instead of dwelling on how things should be. I was a civil servant in UK before starting my business and I can tell you that the job was well paid (London standard), Police is a good job, Lectuers are extremely well paid etc. We cannot keep neglecting these profession and expect them not to steal.

Naija president earns just under N3,000,000 a year (not sure of the figure), common a whole president? I earn that easily in a month. Why won't they steal. UK prime minister earns about £190,000 and all expenses the difference is clear. Nigeria can afford to pay these professionals well so they can govern us with honestly and sincerity.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Uche2nna(m): 5:37pm On May 09, 2008
4 Him:

Constituency allowance: A bogus term used to refer to a form of financial inducement for lawbreakers in order to lubricate the machinery of executive looting. See also bribery, greasing the palm.

landis:

Money to be spent on:

1 spread info in their community

3. rent office/employ people in their community

4. travels for house issues in their community etc

It is within the law but most of these guys pocket the money.

The community of each members should be asking questions.

Yeah, I guess I wanted to know if it is backed by the constitution. If I get U right, Landis, shelling out such amount of money is not the crime here but what is actually done with the money  undecided  That takes me to the second question: How is the amount of money to be given out determined or is it just left to the discretion of the government?  undecided  Me thinks that 20 million is too much for one person especially taken into consideration the finances of the state.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by SENATORJD(m): 5:41pm On May 09, 2008
monies that can be channeled into betterring the lives of millions of citizebs in that state, some fools just distribute it amongst themselves, millions mean nothing to them because they have never worked for it so they can't appreciate it, its painful to note that am from that state, Akala is just a big fat crook,  angry
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by sheniqua: 5:42pm On May 09, 2008
Jamco45:

We don't need to lie to ourselves. Most or all of our politicians are theives. Its hard to find someone honest and if you do people he meets in government will either corrupt him through threats and blackmail or he will simply join them. You are talking about how it should be, you are right but I am looking for a solution. Pay them well to moltivate them.
Don't get me wrong its not only the politicians that needs to be paid well. Police, Army, Doctors, Lecturers, Teachers, Nurses, civil servants all need to be paid well. We all know what these guys get up to just to make fast buck.
We need to turn that mentality around and look for solutions instead of dwelling on how things should be. I was a civil servant in UK before starting my business and I can tell you that the job was well paid (London standard), Police is a good job, Lectuers are extremely well paid etc. We cannot keep neglecting these profession and expect them not to steal.

Naija president earns just under N3,000,000 a year (not sure of the figure), common a whole president? I earn that easily in a month. Why won't they steal. UK prime minister earns about £190,000 and all expenses the difference is clear. Nigeria can afford to pay these professionals well so they can govern us with honestly and sincerity.

Your way of thinking is a little odd and horrifying
So people steal because they are underpaid shocked shocked shocked

How many have stopped at stealing a few hundreds of thousands since all they want to do is supplement their income.

When the media tells up of ex-governors who moved an equivalent of about $5 million into their private accounts[b] in days [/b] how do you explain that?
This is just one of many "transactions "
Is your explanation the reason Alameseigha had money overflowing from wardrobes and built personal refineries in central America ?
If you don't know what to say about a situation, it'll be better to just log in as a guest and read from others.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by SkyBlue1: 5:46pm On May 09, 2008
@Jamco45, i don't think your comparison with UK in this case is valid. Firstly, UK is an expensive place to live in period. London alone has a very high cost of living that is why when people come to England on holiday from the states they find it hard to cope with expenses because of the cost of things. Comparing the price of things in UK with the price of things in Nigeria will immediately show this and it is even deeper than that. For a president that is fed by tax money, transported by tax money, clothed by tax money (check out all the allowances they get) in Nigeria i really don't think that figure is so unreasonable. Another thing you have to factor in is the difference in the money earned by him and the surrounding standard of living. I really do think it would be the height of insensitivity if we have a situation whereby the leaders live in disgusting oppulence while everyone else suffers. Increasing salary to that level in my opinion only become validated when the standard of living around the country increases. Pay them more so they don't steal? I find that quite funny. No one forced anyone to be a leader did they? Is it by force? And that my friend is why it is so annoying. There are so many people who want to enter these positions to simply lead and develop the nation. So don't speak as if every Nigerian is corrupt and only wants to get in to loot. If certain people just left Nigeria alone and left people who are serious about leadership then things will change in a much shorter time than you think.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by TheSly: 5:47pm On May 09, 2008
Y'all shouldn't bring no UK stuffs up here dammit!
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by sheniqua: 5:49pm On May 09, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Jamco45, i don't think your comparison with UK in this case is valid. Firstly, UK is an expensive place to live in period. London alone has a very high cost of living that is why when people come to England on holiday from the nstates they find it hard to cope with expenses because of the cost of things. Comparing the price of things in UK with the price of things in Nigeria will immediately mshow this and it is even deeper than that. For a president that is fed by tax money, transported by tax money, clothed by tax money (check out all the allowances they get) in Nigeria i really don't think that figure is so unreasonable. Another thing you have to factor in is the difference in the money earned by him and the surrounding standard of living. I really do think it would be the height of insensitivity if we have a situation whereby the leaders live in disgusting oppulence while everyone ,else suffers. Increasing salary to those ammount in my opinion only become validated when the standard of living around the country increases. Pay them more so they don't steal? I find that quite funny. No one forced anyone to be a leader did they? Is it by force? And that my friend is why it is so annoying. There are so many people who want to enter these positions to simply lead and develop the nation. So don't speak as if every Nigerian is corrupt and only wants to get in to loot. If certain people just left Nigeria alone and left people who are serious about leadership then things will change in a much shorter time than you think.

My brother na wa o
The man is talking as if the presidency was forced on them and they couldn't help themselves.
If you're offered a job you applied for knowing the salary do you go in there and steal funds because they don't pay you well when you had the opportunity not to have even applied?
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Uche2nna(m): 5:53pm On May 09, 2008
sheniqua:

My brother na wa o
The man is talking as if the presidency was forced on them and they couldn't help themselves.
If you're offered a job you applied for knowing the salary do you go in there and steal funds because they don't pay you well when you had the opportunity not to have even applied?

I wonder oooo!!!!

And I dont think they are under paid anyway giving the state of the nation.

But the 20 million thingy, is it something that the state governor decided to do or is it something that was stipulated by law to be done. I cant really make a stand on this until I know the answer to that.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by SENATORJD(m): 5:55pm On May 09, 2008
Jamco45:

nigga i doubt if u have  an idea of politics  in nigeria, but if u do u wud know that what a senator earns or governor not to even talk about mr president earns as allowances(car, housing, travelling, children,medical,wardrobe,security, and even the latest they brought in (stress) allowance and so damn many more)any right thinking person recieving that much has no,just right under heaven or in hell to take any dime from   government  coffers so pls do research well b4 u say they are underpaid.  
@sheniqua nice reply
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by romeo(m): 6:01pm On May 09, 2008
Same Gov. is buying 34 new cars for the traditional rulers of Oyo state! I think the man is a senseless crook. i saw that in todays news
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by blacksta(m): 6:10pm On May 09, 2008
The level of corruption in this country is a joke. The question is are their any honest person or people in this country
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Goshen360(m): 6:18pm On May 09, 2008
blacksta:

The level of corruption in this country is a joke. The question is are their any honest person or people in this country

Yes, we still have godly, goodly, honest and sincere people in this country, Am one of that faithful generation and many others too. but who will allow the good one get to govern us.

May God help us, Amen
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by SENATORJD(m): 6:21pm On May 09, 2008
blacksta:

of course there are, its just that the number of get-rich-quick insects biting pple have increased. a large percent of nigerians want to own the best of properties(cars, phones,houses, clothes) without working for the monet, imagin a secondary school boy that has never worked for a dime in his freaking life saying he wants to buy a car now, with no money in his pocket or account tell me y he might, note might not go duping someone or stealling?everyone is getting mad about get this or  get that forgetting that life is in stages and men are in sizes
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by Goshen360(m): 6:25pm On May 09, 2008
SENATOR JD:

of course there are, its just that the number of get-rich-quick insects biting people have increased. a large percent of nigerians want to own the best of properties(cars, phones,houses, clothes) without working for the monet, imagin a secondary school boy that has never worked for a dime in his freaking life saying he wants to buy a car now, with no money in his pocket or account tell me y he might, note might not go duping someone or stealling?everyone is getting mad about get this or get that forgetting that life is in stages and men are in sizes

SENATOR JD,

You are absolutely correct my brother. The craze for wealth has turn the economy of this country into what it is today. We need RIVIVAL in all aspect of this copuntry.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by oziomatv(m): 6:31pm On May 09, 2008
If we don't take control of these situation we will forever live in this commotion.
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by SENATORJD(m): 6:40pm On May 09, 2008
goshen360:

SENATOR JD,

You are absolutely correct my brother. The craze for wealth has turn the economy of this country into what it is today. We need RIVIVAL in all aspect of this copuntry.
@goshen360 good to know we still have good nigerians like u and many others who believe in hardwork, men we need a serious revival in the economy and i believe it starts from every individual, as a great president once said "if every man would gaurd his home, then America would be safe"
we all need a change of orientation from me me me to us us us
oziomatv:

If we don't take control of these situation we will forever live in this commotion.
true my bro we have to take serious control of situation b4 Nigeria is shreded(God forbid)
Re: Oyo Lawmakers To Receive N20m Each by WallaceDon(m): 6:57pm On May 09, 2008
What will you guys call the the develop in Oyo Lawmakers cyclone disaster
Home to several emerging and developing economies, is also struggling to cope with the global food price crisis.

May God help you all.

Still DJ WallaCe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Regrets About Alamieyeseigha's Pardon - Presidency / Americans Support FG's Ban Of Twitter(photos) / After Leading BUHARI MUST GO Protest, Sowore Was Caught In Buhari Train-Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.